Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So in that post you got to turn back ti-ime??

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I see Chet finally got mentioned. I didn't see Tommy Emmanuel on here, either, but maybe I missed it. There are certain players, certain musicians who can transcend genres, and there are a few out there Just because a player doesn't play a particular style doesn't mean they can't, or won't.

I also didn't see mention of Oliver Gannon on here, either, and he consistently ranks high in Canadian jazz scene as a fantastic jazz guitarist. How many of you use some of his tracks in BIAB? smile

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps "The best jazz guitarists of all time" is not the right name.

Some of the best? Some of the best famous?

One thing I learned in music, is no matter how good you are, there is always someone better, and always someone not a good as you are.

I met Tom Scott back in the 1980s. We were the house band at a Hyatt Hotel, and Tom was staying there while leading a band for Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé.

He told me, and I paraphrase, "I know there is a sax player, probably playing in a Holiday Inn in a place like Valparaiso Indiana that could put me in his back pocket, but I was in the right place, at the right time, with the right connections, I showed up straight, and I could do the job, so I got the break."

To expand on that, somewhere in a house band there is a guitar player that could put many of those "best" guitarists to shame, but he/she isn't in the right place at the right time and doesn't have the right connections.

Insights and incites Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
... but he/she isn't in the right place at the right time and doesn't have the right connections.

Or just doesn't want the pressures of the bigger circuits.
I've known a few people who have had breaks with big bands and quit after a short while for their own sanity/comfort.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When touring and opening up for major acts in concert, a few of them told me that they had more fun when they were up-and-coming than they did once that made it.

There were pressures, schedules, promotional appearances and the feeling that they were a cog in a giant wheel.

However, not one of those people told me that they would quit the big time and big money and then go back to being small-time.

I 'almost' made the big time once. Our manager and the label couldn't agree on money (the label wanted to p i m p us) so the deal fell through.

We were severely disappointed at that time, and it broke the band up.

I went back to 6 days a week, and 5 hours a night for 1/4 the money.

Decades later, I realize it just was part of life's adventure, and to be treated as a peer by the stars of the day was an experience most musicians never get. Another good thing about never attaining stardom is that I'm not a has-been. wink

Since then, other than 2 attempts at being normal, I have made my life doing music and nothing but music. Again, I'm luckier than most.

I'm having a happy life, living it on my own terms and instead of saying "I have to go to work today", I say, "I GET to go to work today." And that's a good way to live.

Long ago I quit comparing myself to the great sax players. I do try to learn from them, and even the passive listening I do for my own enjoyment gets internalized and comes out in little ways.

And (back on topic) there is no definitive 'greatest' list in any of the arts. Was Picasso better than Dali? Was Stan Getz better than John Coltrane? How about Maria Callas vs. Renée Fleming? Mikhail Baryshnikov vs. Rudolf Nureyev? Muddy Waters vs. B.B. King? Tchaikovsky vs. Shostakovitch? Tolstoy vs. Dostoyevsky?

When it comes to art, it's a matter of taste. My greatest might not agree with your greatest and we could both be right --- or wrong.

It doesn't matter. Just enjoy what you like.

I like quite a few on that list, some don't speak to me musically, but I don't dislike any of them and they are all worthy.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
And (back on topic) there is no definitive 'greatest' list in any of the arts. Was Picasso better than Dali? Was Stan Getz better than John Coltrane? How about Maria Callas vs. Renée Fleming? Mikhail Baryshnikov vs. Rudolf Nureyev

FWIW, I personally and generally have more respect for the 'jobbing' people than the stars and high-flyers.

The session people, the soap actors, the repertory theatre actors, people like yourselves delivering night after night, a great many buskers and street entertainers/artists, because they pretty much all deliver great performances, time after time and often with a very quick turnaround. The people where ad-libs and improvisation and covering up for failures of self and others are second nature. For me, these are the true 'bests', even when I've never previously heard of them.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/30/23 04:47 AM.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: etcjoe

I was going to mention Chet Atkins as he did record some straight jazz tunes.

I had the good luck and the pleasure of meeting Chet many years ago. We were doing our gig and I mentioned that I tried being in a jazz band but pop cover songs paid the mortgage.

Chet said that he always wanted to be a jazz player, but he knew which side of the bread was buttered.

We both agreed that we are happy doing what we are doing, but the challenges of jazz would be interesting.

Notes ♫

I had that almost exact conversation with Chet at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society meeting one year. He sat next to me for Martin Taylor's set one afternoon. While we were waiting for it to start, we talked about jazz and he talked about how he had wanted to do that almost exclusively but needed to make a living!! His skills as a player are well known and his skills as a producer are too. He was very talented in many ways and a very nice person to meet as well!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
These lists are mostly meant to get clicks or eyeballs or views or plays however they are presented. I agree with Notes and I am sure many others commenting here, there can never be a definitive list of "best" when it comes to art. It is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Plenty of good discussion here though. I can listen to Django, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Tommy Mottola, Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel for hours on end and always be amazed and entertained. While certainly not a big jazz guy, I do like a lot of jazz players!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
<...snip...>
I had that almost exact conversation with Chet at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society meeting one year. He sat next to me for Martin Taylor's set one afternoon. While we were waiting for it to start, we talked about jazz and he talked about how he had wanted to do that almost exclusively but needed to make a living!! <...>

We all have to make a living, and sometimes doing your second favorite type of music is the one that will pay the mortgage.

I'd love to play jazz, and did it for a while, but I don't know if I would want to play it exclusively. I'd miss the power of rock, the angst of blues, the rhythms of salsa, and so on.

But I'm lucky. In my present situation, I get to play a little of almost every type of pop music. That is everything but Heavy Metal and Rap. A duo can't do justice to Heavy Metal, and I just can't talk fast enough to do Rap.

I can sneak in a little light jazz if I want to, but on most days I'm content to play pop music, and interact with the audience. I give them what they want, music they know by heart, and they give me what I want, applause, love and the ability to make a living doing music and nothing but music.

I told you I was lucky.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'd love to play jazz, and did it for a while, but I don't know if I would want to play it exclusively. I'd miss the power of rock, the angst of blues, the rhythms of salsa, and so on

For a long, long, time I didn't realise that my primary musical interest is jazz, though I have a broad view of what constitutes jazz.

It was really only the jazz-funk fusion stuff of the 70s and 80s that made me look deeper into what drive my tastes, and I started to realise that an awful lot of what I liked was played by jazz-oriented musicians playing some of what they wanted to play in other contexts that "weren't jazz".

I also note the number of people I've know who "don't like jazz", but do like what I play (both as a maybe-musician and from my music collection).

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I'd love to play jazz, and did it for a while, but I don't know if I would want to play it exclusively. I'd miss the power of rock, the angst of blues, the rhythms of salsa, and so on

For a long, long, time I didn't realise that my primary musical interest is jazz, though I have a broad view of what constitutes jazz.

It was really only the jazz-funk fusion stuff of the 70s and 80s that made me look deeper into what drive my tastes, and I started to realise that an awful lot of what I liked was played by jazz-oriented musicians playing some of what they wanted to play in other contexts that "weren't jazz".

I also note the number of people I've know who "don't like jazz", but do like what I play (both as a maybe-musician and from my music collection).

I think some people hear the term jazz and then they think of some esoteric thing they heard 20 years ago that is hard for many people to like. There are some wild crazy out there performances in jazz, but there is plenty of very good "mainstream" jazz that just about anyone that likes music will find something to like.

Just like many genres, jazz has so many subcategories and some are just not what "most" people like. But it only matters what you like and what I like for our own entertainment.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
only matters what you like and what I like for our own entertainment.

... and the paying customers. Aye, there's the rub.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As far as the customers are concerned, at least for the market that I chose, I'm easy.

When I was 40, I chose the retirement market. At that time it was mostly American Songbook era jazz, Frank Sinatra, Louis Prima, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Cole Porter, Count Basie, and so on.

As time went on the older folks moved into nursing homes and we started playing Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly era songs. After that Beatles era, and now Seger, Motown, Sting, etc.

I've always been able to mix C&W of the same era, Caribbean and Latin American music (it is Florida), and some blues, as long as any of these genres is not too hard core. It's easy to turn everybody's music into nobody's music if you veer too deep and one direction. For example, we might do Maxie Priest's "Close To You" with a rap section in the middle, and the people like it, but if we did hard core rap, it would turn them off.

I chose a good market for South Florida, as I have never been out of work until COVID, and now that COVID has settled down, I'm doing up to 20 gigs a month again.

But like I said, I'm easy. I like music from every genre, and I like performing. I even enjoy playing songs I would never choose to put in my personal listening playlist. It's just fun to play music, and if they want to hear Mustang Sally, or Brown Eyed Girl again, I'm into it.

I give them what they want, songs they know by heart. They give me what I want, applause, love, and the ability to make a living by doing music and nothing but music.

Life is good today.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As far as the customers are concerned, at least for the market that I chose, I'm easy.
But like I said, I'm easy. I like music from every genre, and I like performing. I even enjoy playing songs I would never choose to put in my personal listening playlist. It's just fun to play music, and if they want to hear Mustang Sally, or Brown Eyed Girl again, I'm into it.

I give them what they want, songs they know by heart. They give me what I want, applause, love, and the ability to make a living by doing music and nothing but music.

Life is good today.

You are not easy Notes, you are very smart. Give the audience what they want and you will get many jobs. Your philosophy was the same as mine when I ran my wedding band. Although we were only weekend warriors we had a very good avocation. Gigging was fun and profitable for us also.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I figure it's the same with any business. Give them what they want, and they will give you what you want.

Or, as Donna Summer sings in "Bad Girls", a song about -- how should I put it -- the ladies of the night.

Mister, do you want to spend some time,
I got what you want, you got what I need,
I'll be your baby if you spend it on me.

In this biz, I've known some of those "working girls" and I respect them. It's not an easy profession.

I get to play music, and live my life on my own terms. We are self-employed too.

If working 40 hours a week as a wage slave for some faceless corporation isn't selling your body, I don't know what is.

I guess I'm drifting off-topic. But then, any thread that goes on long enough drifts off-topic. That makes it like a conversation in a coffee shop.

Many musicians I have known have had a secret desire to play jazz or classical, but play pop music. The famous studio musicians known as "The Wrecking Crew" were jazz cats, but they recorded much of the pop music that is the soundtrack of our lives.

Others have classical backgrounds, you can see those influences in many pop songs.

Back when I was an AFofM union member, I remember reading an interview with a retired country music piano player. He said, "Don't let the suits know you are secretly into jazz, because they really believe in this kind of music."

I think having experience in other genres than your chosen one is a good thing.

And to add, what is Jazz anyway? Dixieland, Glenn Miller/Duke Ellington era swing, Cool School, Bop, Funk, Fusion and so on???

Anyway, I enjoyed the list and they were all fine players.

Insights, incites, and tangents by Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe pass and Wes Montgomery have to be mentioned in the conversation!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Joe pass and Wes Montgomery have to be mentioned in the conversation!

Torrey, Joe Pass is number 9 on the list and Wes is number 1.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
A
A
How's It Going . Read Your Article I'm a retired Guitar Player Disco Era 16 Years on Road. I Have arthritis Hand So I Play Bass & Took up Harmonica in Covid. love doing Standards & Old Popo Tunes Charts I'm An Ex Berklee Guy Great Chord Chops & Love My BNB 2023. A few friends
of mine still in the Buss down by You still in Touch. Love to hear some of your Files & Swap w You. What Do You Think ?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,750
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191