Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hi Folks.
This should not be considered as tutorial, just an example of my workflow. Instead of going back and forth from BIAB to DAW when laying out arrangement, I do a rough sketch in BIAB to hear how particular set of RT's sound together with NI or other synths.

There probably is a way to program keyswitches for NI... I didn't look closely yet, as I am still finalizing everything in DAW, but for rough sketching this works for me. If you have any questions, please ask here, as I do not monitor youtube comments.

Veteran
Veteran
Cool Cool Cool. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
If you are changing chords and need to re-generate the midi chord track instead of having the keyswitches on the same track you can put the keyswitches on another track and re-route that track to Kontakt track. If you set Kontakt to Omni midi input it will work with whatever channel the keyswitch track is on.

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
"If you set Kontakt to Omni"
Good workaround if you don't have any other midi going on, otherwise Kontakt will pickup all the midi in the project.

Another workaround would be creating a Chord Track on any other track, not specified in Preferences>Chord output and use piano roll to add key switches. The downside of course it will not pickup new changes in chord sheet.

Veteran
Veteran
On Omni it will only pick up all other midi on other tracks if it is Default Synth or you Re-route the other tracks to it.
If you load VstSynthFont into a track it will only play that midi from that track no mater what channel the midi is on as it is Omni.

Veteran
Veteran
OOOOOOH, my brain hurts.
Well done Misha.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Musocity,
That could work, in some cases, if you don't have multiple plugins set up. But then again, it would be tricky to transplant it to DAW together with chord track and make it work inside DAW, not conflicting with other MIDI items.

What would be nice if there was a simple mechanism to do Key Switches as they seem to dominate workflows of VSTis.
I think the "easiest" way from a user perspective would be to set a custom range for key switches in options when generating new Chord Track. So generations or chord changes do not overwrite that range. That way, when you export a Chord track to DAW, it will have all the info Session guitars, or any other instruments that use key switches need in a single midi track. I think it is a good candidate for 2024 wishlist. Should not be too difficult to program.

P.S. Ray, I am sorry, I can only offer virtual ibuprofen smile

Veteran
Veteran
That's what I had in the snap midi to chords script, you can set the ignore range for keyswitches.
You could have an empty track as the midi chord track and Re-route that to the Kontakt track that has the keyswitches.
I tried putting the keyswitches on another channel on the chord track but as you generate a new chord track it deletes them.
So you just need to copy the switch notes from another track to the chord tracks before export, or solo both chord and keyswitch tracks then drag Master to MID and you will get one midi file with chords and switches.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
... What would be nice if there was a simple mechanism to do Key Switches as they seem to dominate workflows of VSTis. ...

A few DAWs such as Cakewalk by Bandlab and Cubase offer Articulation lanes or tracks where the VSTi keyswitch midi data is separate from the midi note data.

The DAW understands the difference between a VSTi midi note and VSTi articulation note by reading an Articulation map.

The problem is every VSTi using articulations requires an articulation map to properly work in a DAW that can follow an Articulation map. The good news is since Cubase seems to have originally come up with the Articulation map idea Cakewalk is following Cubase's lead. Between the two DAWs a fair number of VSTi Articulation maps are available. +++ HERE +++ is a link to Articulation maps in the Cakewalk forum. If there is not a map for your favorite VSTi they are pretty easy to create.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim,
Articulations are another animal. I am strictly talking about key switches for pattern based VSTi's for programming pattern changes and shots/holds

When you create a Chord Track through Preferences>Output Chords, you are given a choice of range. The easiest way, I think it can be done is to have a "second" range reserved for key switches, that will remain in place, no matter what you do with re-generation or chord changes, to be only edited manually through piano roll, while the "active" range will rewrite block chords when chord or bar changes are introduced.

There are couple of workarounds, mainly what Musocity mentioned, but that would require extra steps and re-routings. What I proposed will be a single track that includes both, a chord changes and key switches. Universal file for BIAB or any DAW. I have to think about this for some time before heading to wishlist.

Veteran
Veteran
In the Output Chords dialog there should be an option to automatically change/update the block midi chords when changed in the chord sheet and an option to ignore/leave all notes outside (above/below) the note range set for chords.

Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Do you mind providing one or more VSTi example of a pattern based VSTi that can program pattern changes and shots/holds. I'm wondering if we are on the same page but maybe saying the same thing two different ways. If not I may better understand your request after looking at VSTis that work as you describe.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musocity
In the Output Chords dialog there should be an option to automatically change/update the block midi chords when changed in the chord sheet and an option to ignore/leave all notes outside (above/below) the note range set for chords.
Musocity, I hope you'll post this suggestion in the Band-in-a-Box wishlist as it may get overlooked here.

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim,
Ujam, Sonokinetic and I am sure many others that use key switches for pattern changes.

Seems Musocity is on the right path:
"automatically change/update the block midi chords when changed in the chord sheet and an option to ignore/leave all notes outside (above/below) the note range set for chords."

Veteran
Veteran
The issue is Band-in-a-Box does not have a way to address the use of VSTi articulation maps. Musocity's suggestion is one way Band-in-a-Box can address your suggestion. I hope he will post the suggestion in the Band-in-a-Box wishlist.

Misha, thanks for providing the development company names. It was interesting to look at their products.

As far as a DAW is concerned there is no difference in applying an Articulation map to trigger VSTi generated phrases than using an Articulation map to select sustain or legato.

I took a quick look at the reference guide for the Ujam virtual guitarist, Silk and virtual guitarist Amber. It looks as though Articulation maps can be used to select common phrases and style phrases for both virtual instruments.

I also looked at the manual for Sonokinetic's Toccata Epic Pipe Organ. Articulation maps can be used to select any of the 20 pipe organ registers through upper manual, lower manual and pedal articulations.

Veteran
Veteran
MusicLab guitars have articulations and comes with a pattern library and you can create custom patterns.
I will let Rusty post in the wishlist.

In RapidComposer I can create keyswitch map for all the articulations any instruments, below I'm using Ample Bass Guitar then you just right click on the note and it will set it to any articulation, so you can save the midi phrases with the articulations and they will fit any chord section any octave but still retain the keyswitches.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RC-Ample-Bass-Keyswitches.png (112.63 KB, 49 downloads)
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Musocity,
Thanks for honors, I will post that wish that you formulated well. But... there is more to that.
Chord Track was a good move by PGmusic, which btw was initiated by justanoldmuso, however it is missing couple of important pieces in my view.
If I am thinking it right it needs 3 items:

#1 What we discussed here on ignoring all "other" notes.
#2 Ability to create more chord tracks that will accept changes, without going into "generating a chord track" each time change is introduced.
#3 Possibility to create tracks with different specified ranges that will also accept changes automatically / simultaneously with tracks with other set ranges.

Simple example:

NI Session Guitar + Synthmaster in BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
In Reaper I would have the one chord track then use a send to another VSTi track and transpose the midi input to another octave for different VSTi's.
I think there was a transpose input just added to BB23 ?
But you could have one on each track at a different octave, you would just need Biab to keep track of what tracks they are on and the octave so they can be updated with chord sheet changes.
But to have options to do it whatever way suites the user is good.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,523
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197