Band-in-a-Box for Windows
K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Hi,
The workflow seems to be aim the mouse at a row in the style browser and double click to trigger the audition preview.

This is ok, but gets tiresome when trying out 100s of styles to find the perfect match.

Is there an easier way? For example, it would be superb to just step up and down through the styles using the cursor keys, and have the selected style just automatically play without anymore effort?

Veteran
Veteran
Yes that has been suggested many times and to have an internal wma demo player that does not use the system WMP.
Along with a Multi Tabbed picker for all instruments audio and midi.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
It would be superb to step up and down through the styles using the cursor keys.

S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
My guess is that such obvious, trivial, normal and effective user interface interactions are impossible solve in the software as it stands, otherwise I guess we would have had it long long time ago.

L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
Originally Posted By: shlind
My guess is that such obvious, trivial, normal and effective user interface interactions are impossible solve in the software as it stands, otherwise I guess we would have had it long long time ago.

It's more likely complacency. A basic tidying up of things would be quite easy to implement but after all these years of ignoring it, I doubt it's ever going to happen.

Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
It would be superb to step up and down through the styles using the cursor keys.

After reading this thread I was viewing how to search and audition grooves/styles in EZD3. This video at this point is a perfect example of what is being requested here: https://youtu.be/oBU8AATI7OA?t=542

The whole video is a source of brillance for recommendations to improve the Style picker in BIAB.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

C
Expert
Expert
C

BIAB 2024, latest build.
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Yes, EZD3 is a really good example of an efficient and user friendly interface with focus on the work flow at hand - So clean, so simple, so intuitive, straight on and so efficient (as well as the other EZ products)

Veteran
Veteran

great minds think alike... I swear I don't remember seeing that thread. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert

My approach would be to make a separate tools just for the job. Why clutter BiaB itself further with something like that?

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
..After reading this thread I was viewing how to search and audition grooves/styles in EZD3. This video at this point is a perfect example of what is being requested here: https://youtu.be/oBU8AATI7OA?t=542
The whole video is a source of brillance for recommendations to improve the Style picker in BIAB.

Yes, EZD3 is a really good example of an efficient and user friendly interface with focus on the work flow at hand - So clean, so simple, so intuitive, straight on and so efficient (as well as the other EZ products)

I was going to make a video and put it in my post how EZ it is.
As someone said PG should have EZDrummer3/Superior Drum 3, they should engage with it on a daily basis, after using it how could you possibly NOT want to make Biab and BBPlugin have a better workflow.

Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
My approach would be to make a separate tools just for the job. Why clutter BiaB itself further with something like that?

That was my first thought smile I could make a search list with AutoHotkey.

I make all these AutoHotkey add-ons and Reaper scripts for Biab as it's the only thing I can do to try to solve issues.
If I could program Delphi so many things would be just done by now, I would just fix it or implement it and upload it, rather than just wasting my time nagging and using undiplomatic statements.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Is there an easier way? For example, it would be superb to just step up and down through the styles using the cursor keys, and have the selected style just automatically play without anymore effort?

Yes, in the StylePicker you CAN use the cursor keys to step through the styles, and the spacebar to play/stop the audio demo. This works in any of the "Pickers". Is this feature not working for you?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:

Yes, in the StylePicker you CAN use the cursor keys to step through the styles, and the spacebar to play/stop the audio demo. This works in any of the "Pickers". Is this feature not working for you?

Exactly as I thought I've been using the cursor for years with out any problem.

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1111. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Veteran
Veteran
If you use the spacebar you have to press it to play the press it to stop before being able to play the next demo. There is lag in the system WMP, you need an internal player that uses the same audio device.
Have a check box Auto Play on selection look at EZD below its instant play smooth transition without any lag:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
EZD-Auto-Play.gif (86.59 KB, 117 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
I had to do something in the DAW and I just remembered it has a media explorer.
This is not using the system WMP to play the wma demos.
Watch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o630n6tbfg4lgd9/BB-Demos-Instant-Preview.mp4?dl=0

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DAW-Auto-Play.png (70.17 KB, 107 downloads)
K
konaboy Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
K
Now that, my friend, is exactly what I was looking for!
And funny you should type that, as I was just going to head over and study the manual to see if there was a shortcut. Thanks

But as others have said, it would be even better if simply stepping up or down with the cursor keys to the next style would trigger that preview.

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:

Last edited by konaboy; 02/08/23 04:01 AM.
R
R
I just figured out something similar. It's so much easier to scroll through and listen to different styles *outside* of BIAB.

1. Inside of style picker, I clicked on the little file icon with the Quick Play Demo buttons. Ah ha! Now I know where the demo files reside. This is after I searched extensively in file explorer and gave up. *HINT* It's C (or wherever you keep your files):\bb\RealTracks\Data\Style Demos Audio. What tripped me up when looking in explorer is that it's right in the middle of the long number of folders that have the individual bits of audio, such as "Bass, Synth, MinialHipHopHeld 095" and etc...
So in the middle of all those is another Data folder, not the same as the Data folder under bb.

2. I opened MediaMonkey, which is a player I like (I use their free version, probably a pretty old version) in which I can scroll through the directory tree of my computer from right within MediaMonkey and not have to have the files in a "library." It plays the wma files without needing to convert to mp3. I can just scroll down the list, using the arrow keys and spacebar and listen to each one.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei
38,512 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186