Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It's not life and death. But I just can't help myself not doing it.

In BiaB's preference, you can turn on/off "Start a new line with Part Marker". And in BiaB, Part Marker is the only way to add drum fills (with cymbals).

Many times, during the climax of the song, I need to have drum fills (with cymbals) in every single bar and last for 16 bars. In which case, I have 16 new rows in the chord sheet, and each row has only one bar. It looks like a total mess.

I want to stay organized on the chord sheet. Is there a way I can turn off "auto new row", so all bars jammed together without a row break. Then I manually insert row breaks, not based on Part Markers, but based on the actual structure of verse, chorus, bridge, etc, make chord sheet look professional and easy to read?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, you can do this (globally) in Options | Preferences | Display --> uncheck 'New line for every section':

Additionally, you can toggle the setting on a song-by-song basis in the Song Settings dialog.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Andrew - PG Music

You only answered half of the question.

After unchecking 'New line for every section', all bars are jammed together. Then I need to manually insert line breaks at the desired locations in the song by myself, eg. the chorus starts at a line after the verse?

Can I do that?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
I want to stay organized on the chord sheet. Is there a way I can turn off "auto new row", so all bars jammed together without a row break. Then I manually insert row breaks, not based on Part Markers, but based on the actual structure of verse, chorus, bridge, etc, make chord sheet look professional and easy to read?

Quote:
"@Andrew - PG Music
You only answered half of the question."

I would have provided the same answer as Andrew.
I don't believe that there is a separate option to create individual line breaks, except by the use of Part Markers.

Others may know more.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I would have provided the same answer as Andrew as well.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
It's a setting that applies to all measures but the Chord Sheet can display the horizontal bars set to any number from 1 to 32.

So, if your song structure is 8 bars, changing this display option may work for you in such a circumstance.

There's an icon in the lower right corner of the Chord Sheet or use Keyboard/mouse combo Shift>Scroll button.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-02-18 124543.gif (470.91 KB, 193 downloads)
Screenshot 2023-02-18 131440.gif (284.25 KB, 193 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Charlie Fogle

Guess I will just give up. My song structures are complicated, and I need manual insert of new lines. Changing number of bars per row wouldn't help in my case.

Drum Intro (Bar 1)
Guitar Intro (Bar 2, 3, 4, 5)
Verse A (Bar 6, 7, 8, 9)
Break (Bar 10)
Verse B (Bar 11, 12, 13, 14)
Break (Bar 15)
Chorus (Bar 16, 17, 18, 19)
Interlude (Bar 20, 21, 22, 23)
Verse C (Bar 24, 25, 26, 27)
So on and so forth.

Guess I just have to stick with the Part Markers, and accept the mess caused by drum fills.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Charlie Fogle

Just wondering, in your screenshot, the C chord in bar 1, can I delete it, so there's no chords in the chord sheet?

Often, for the first half of the song, I inserted an long audio to bar 1, and I want it to play from bar 1 to bar 32 for example, and nothing else is generated or plays. Then starting from bar 33, the audio ends and BiaB generated sounds start to play. I know I can use volume automation or bar settings to mute things, but would be better if the waveform is not generated in the first place. Can I delete the chord on bar 1, so from bar 1 to 32, the chord sheet is blank and not generating?

Veteran
Veteran
@Charlie Fogle

Just wondering, in your screenshot, the C chord in bar 1, can I delete it, so there's no chords in the chord sheet?

Often, for the first half of the song, I inserted an long audio to bar 1, and I want it to play from bar 1 to bar 32 for example, and nothing else is generated or plays. Then starting from bar 33, the audio ends and BiaB generated sounds start to play. I know I can use volume automation or bar settings to mute things, but would be better if the waveform is not generated in the first place. Can I delete the chord on bar 1, so from bar 1 to 32, the chord sheet is blank and not generating?

I'm not aware that this is possible. In my experience, the first bar has always had to have a chord.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
@Charlie Fogle

Guess I will just give up. My song structures are complicated, and I need manual insert of new lines. Changing number of bars per row wouldn't help in my case.

Definitely consider putting your requirement in a post in the WishList section. Many of the items in that section have eventually been delivered.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
MV.

please give more detail…

Drum Intro (Bar 1) <<<assumed drums only ?
Guitar Intro (Bar 2, 3, 4, 5) <<<assumed gtr only ? or gtr + drums ?
Verse A (Bar 6, 7, 8, 9) <<<all instruments in song ?
Break (Bar 10) <<<all instruments ?
Verse B (Bar 11, 12, 13, 14) <<<as above all ?
Break (Bar 15) <<<as above ? all ?
Chorus (Bar 16, 17, 18, 19) <<<as above all ??
Interlude (Bar 20, 21, 22, 23)<<<as above all ?
Verse C (Bar 24, 25, 26, 27) <as above all ?

please clarify mate.

i would prolly use realband for this….

1..pass one gen instruments waveforms with clik trak no markers...also try with markers just to see diff.
2..second pass gen drums/waveforms/fills.

note in rb is BARS VIEW << VERY USEFULL FOR MOVING AROUND DRUM FILLS !

if using biab i would prolly have TWO BB SONG FILES…

1.. no markers//chord arrange. and heres the TRICK…
export the stereo mix to (audio)...and import to…
2.. second song file with markers with only drum fills and every bar x.d
ie only play drums. then using editor + markers YOU DECIDE where fills go.

maybe charlie has a better idea as he is an expert at bb tricks.

happiness

om

ps a lot of this is experimenting/developing your own tricks.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/19/23 05:29 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@justanoldmuso

The Intro/Verse/Break/Chorus structure was just an example for chord sheet layout organizing, not an example for instrument arrangement.

I want each section in one row in chord sheet. But in order to add a drum fill, I have to use part markers, and part markers break things into a new row, make things look messy and disorganized.

Guess I'll have to live with it.

Veteran
Veteran
But in order to add a drum fill, I have to use part markers, and part markers break things into a new row, make things look messy and disorganized.
This is not true if you have a recent version of BIAB (at least the Windows version). Right-click on the measure number and you have the option at the top to add a drum fill without a part marker.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:
This is not true if you have a recent version of BIAB (at least the Windows version). Right-click on the measure number and you have the option at the top to add a drum fill without a part marker.

There are two major concerns with this 2023 new feature.

Concern #1 - Once you added a drum fill in this way, at a later time if you want to revert back to normal (no fill), you can't.

Concern #2 - It only adds drum fill to this bar, but not adding a crash cymbal at the first beat of the next bar. So, it's not adding the same type of drum fills as Part Markers do.

Veteran
Veteran
Concern #1, just click again, and it unclears the check.

Concern @2, Wishlist.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
@justanoldmuso

The Intro/Verse/Break/Chorus structure was just an example for chord sheet layout organizing, not an example for instrument arrangement.

I want each section in one row in chord sheet. But in order to add a drum fill, I have to use part markers, and part markers break things into a new row, make things look messy and disorganized.

Guess I'll have to live with it.

I don't think you have to live with it that way. I would approach this by constructing a custom Artist Performance File for the entire drum track and eliminate the necessity of the Part Markers and the new line row breaks. The APF can place drum fills and cymbals anywhere and are not tied to Part Markers. An APF is an audio file converted for BIAB to recognize so you will be able to replace the RealDrums of the Style with the Artist Performance File.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
The Fogle Brothers,

Quote:
The APF can place drum fills and cymbals anywhere and are not tied to Part Markers.

Sounds like a great idea but how?

I know you can create a separate SGU, put the drum fills in, export to a WAV, then copy both the SGU and WAV to the UserTracks folder, so BiaB can map different bars in the WAV based on the chords assigned in the SGU.

The problem is, how can you use this user track to fit into your song? You can't put two different chords at the same spot. The chords in the song are used to play melodies, and can't be used to map drum fills at the same time.

APF vs UserTracks, are we talking about the same thing here?

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< APF vs UserTracks, are we talking about the same thing here? >>

An APF is a type of UserTrack but they don't function the same. A UserTrack performs and responds to the Chord Sheet like a RealTrack. The APF does not. It responds like a frozen track.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
MusicVillain:

You said:

"There are two major concerns with this 2023 new feature.

Concern #1 - Once you added a drum fill in this way, at a later time if you want to revert back to normal (no fill), you can't.

Concern #2 - It only adds drum fill to this bar, but not adding a crash cymbal at the first beat of the next bar. So, it's not adding the same type of drum fills as Part Markers do."

Matt provided the solution to Concern #1.

For Concern #2, if you only need to add "add a crash cymbal at the first beat of the next bar",
can you not use the BIAB 2023 feature of "Playable Real Drums", and add the crash cymbal where you need it?

I haven't tried it but it would seem to me to be a viable option.
Good luck!
LLOYD S

Veteran
Veteran
A UserTrack is like a RealTrack but is created by a user instead of by PG Music. UserTracks follow the chord sheet the same way a RealTrack does. A UserTrack is composed of a minimum of two elements; paired audio & SGU files in a folder container. The folder provides the UserTrack name or label while the paired files provide the content.

An Artist Performance File or APF is an audio track linked to a song file that Band-in-a-Box creates on demand or is created by a user to include a performance unique to a song. One way a producer can use a BiaB created APF is as a sub mix within the song.

A related term sometimes confused with an APF is an Artist Performance Track or APT. APT refers to additional audio content PG Music offers for educational purposes such as +++ HERE +++.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Lloyd S
Quote:
For Concern #2, if you only need to add "add a crash cymbal at the first beat of the next bar",
can you not use the BIAB 2023 feature of "Playable Real Drums", and add the crash cymbal where you need it?

I think that is a great idea. However, as far as I know, not all RealTracks and RealDrums are playable with HiQ patch instrument available. If the drum of the style selected is non-playable, then this method won't work. Otherwise it's a smart workaround to add custom cymbals and beats.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Charlie Fogle
@Jim Fogle

I think now I have a good grasp on this APT vs APF concept.

APT is basically PG pre-made MGU files with audio tracks attached. Once opened, users can change chords, change styles, to make a new song. Attached picture shows PG pre-made Artist Performance Set folders. In short, APTs are song templates.

APF is a technique. Users can right click any track in the mixer, and convert that track into an APF, which is essentially an audio file. It is equivalent to rendering to a WAV file first, then import the WAV file back to the same project as an external audio file. In short, APFs are exports.

Jim and I had this discussion before: APF is actually a "scalar" file that has lost its generatibilities from BiaB.

APF used to be used as sub-mix files because users don't have enough mixer tracks. However, with the introduction of utility tracks in BiaB 2021, users now have more than enough mixer tracks, and APF is no longer needed or useful that much.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Artist Performance Set.jpg (412.71 KB, 80 downloads)

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< APF is a technique. Users can right click any track in the mixer, and convert that track into an APF, which is essentially an audio file. It is equivalent to rendering to a WAV file first, then import the WAV file back to the same project as an external audio file. In short, APFs are exports. >>

Not exactly. An APF is a conversion process so BIAB can recognize an audio file on another track besides the single audio track. This feature has been expanded to include the 16 additional Utility Tracks. The conversion doesn't involve any exporting or importing. The APF WAV file is saved without rendering. The process is faster than rendering and saving a WAV file.

<< APF used to be used as sub-mix files because users don't have enough mixer tracks. However, with the introduction of utility tracks in BiaB 2021, users now have more than enough mixer tracks, and APF is no longer needed or useful that much. >>

My thoughts about an APF's value is it's now 16 times more useful than prior to Utility Tracks being introduced. It's now much easier to remain in BIAB before exporting to a DAW and in many, if not most cases, eliminates the necessity to use a DAW for a lot of tasks where exporting has previously been utilized. In comparison to the analog world of multi track recorders, BIAB is the equivalent of updating from an 8 track to 24 tracks. All of the multi track editing and recording principles, functions, techniques and processes remain the same.

For users wanting to remain in BIAB as long as possible, learning to implement APF's provides a tremendous advantage.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Charlie Fogle

Quote:
The APF WAV file is saved without rendering...

Is this APF WAV file saved in the same folder of SGU, or saved somewhere else on C:, or just saved in the RAM?
How I can find this "conversion" WAV file in the computer?

Quote:
An APF is a conversion process so BIAB can recognize an audio file on another track...

I assume once you converted a RealTrack to APF, it's done, you can not revert back to RealTrack anymore. If you want change a few chords later, the APF doesn't regen, and you lost the original RealTrack. You need to find and insert the same RealTrack again, in order to regen, and re-convert to a new APF.

Quote:
For users wanting to remain in BIAB as long as possible...

Remaining in BiaB for production is always the goal. But probably it's not a good idea to convert any green tracks to orange, otherwise you lose the ability to regen should any changes happen on the way. A simple freeze may seem to be more practical.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Is this APF WAV file saved in the same folder of SGU, or saved somewhere else on C:, or just saved in the RAM?
How I can find this "conversion" WAV file in the computer? >>

Yes, it's saved and automatically named in the same folder as the SGU file. An SGU file must be saved before an APF can be saved. If the project hasn't been saved, there's a prompt to save.

<< I assume once you converted a RealTrack to APF, it's done, you can not revert back to RealTrack anymore. If you want change a few chords later, the APF doesn't regen, and you lost the original RealTrack. You need to find and insert the same RealTrack again, in order to regen, and re-convert to a new APF. >>

No. APF's can be undone and RealTracks restored. Rt. click on the track| Track Actions | Erase Performance Track
Sometimes you may have to erase the track data as well and select revert back to style instrument. This is done in the Track actions menu also.

<< Remaining in BiaB for production is always the goal. But probably it's not a good idea to convert any green tracks to orange, otherwise you lose the ability to regen should any changes happen on the way. A simple freeze may seem to be more practical. >>

Absolutely. The APF is a tool and use when it's the right tool for the job at hand.

Veteran
Veteran
I'd set out the parts as I wanted then use the FORM dialogue to assemble them.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195