Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Wow, for the first time ever, BiaB Mac sales are exceeding Windows. BiaB is rising in appeal among young, professional musicians, and using Mac.

Demographics of the Mac biab skew towards younger people and professional musicians. And sales of the Mac biab have been rising, to the point that Mac biab sales now exceed windows biab. It is now 53:47 mac:windows. (It used to be 67:33 windows). That means a trend towards more younger, professional musicians using biab, on Mac

We hear from them more on social media (facebook, YouTube), and in the user showcase.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Must admit, it was the best thing I EVER did was changing from Windows to mac

Veteran
Veteran
Mac has always attracted creative professionals while Windows seems to be business orientated. Microsoft will make an effort to attract creatives every now and then but has never made a sustained effort.

The Apple Ipad is also becoming a popular music production platform. Has PG Music considered supporting the Ipad platform?

One of the more interesting things I watch for while looking at virtual instrument or plugin demonstrations on YouTube is if the demonstration is performed on a Mac or Windows computer. The demonstrations are overwhelmingly performed on a Mac.

The good news for PG Music is the move to Mac means the 2023 Mac release will be extremely popular.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
Journeyman
Good news indeed. Glad to see the product is growing among younger users.
Bodes well for the future.

Lets hope this encourages PG Music to continue to elevate the level of development effort on the Mac Product.
The Mac version of BIAB has, until recent years, been a bit of a step child of the Windows version at PG Music.
My $.02.
Admittedly this gap has narrowed in recent years. I think its fair to say it has not disappeared.

I understand, the market does drive the business. Such is life

AAPL is now demonstrating software NATIVELY running on their own chips that might be exploited in the BIAB product.
Dedicating project audio and software tracks to specific CPU's as AAPL now does in LOGIC PRo X is one example.
That might significantly improve the regeneration of tracks, one of the performance gripes of the BIAB product.

As a minimum PG might finally ditch Rosetta and embrace a native mode version.

In the meantime, great hope for the future.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Will the Mac version of BiAB export a scrolling chord sheet with lyrics and audio to a .avi file like the Windows version?

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Tim_Clark
Will the Mac version of BiAB export a scrolling chord sheet with lyrics and audio to a .avi file like the Windows version?

Let's hope not. AVI files do not play on a Mac without a 3rd party converter.

MP4, OTOH, would be good.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Expert
Expert
I would bet that music and AV apps—as nice as they are—are not the main reason that young professionals have been switching to the Mac.

There are now millions of seats licensed by SalesForce in use globally. Yes, it works over Windows but nowhere nearly as well as it does on the Mac over Chrome. Combined with Apple Silicon portables, these make for extremely powerful work stations.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Apprentice
Apprentice
Peter, with the younger audience do you think you will produce more current pop and other genres that appeal more to youth?

R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Hi Peter
I believe there is a solid business opportunity to take what is some of your key IP, namely all the real tracks and associated musical assets, and create a new platform (using modern Apple software tools and technologies) to run on iPadOS and MacOS - natively and with minimal cross-platform effort.
It could be possible to create different product levels to cater for various user's needs, as well as to offer an upgrade path as a user develops in their musical journey. It would also be possible to provide content packs on an ongoing basis to provide additional revenue opportunities.
A modern BIAB, running on what are arguably the best hardware and software platforms for audio and midi, could have a market potential far exceeding what is currently being realised.
Cheers,
Robert

Last edited by Robert Wood; 03/26/23 12:24 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Every couple of decades it pays to rewrite a piece of code from the ground up, whether it needs it or not.

Somebody said that.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I think that's good news. I actually use both on my Mac with Parallels running windows. I've always felt that PC version was a little more stable. But with more Mac users at your office maybe the Mac Version will be more stable as well.

As to the demographics skewing younger, I'm 71 and I always thought was kind of a boomer thing.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Super interesting to see the improvement in Mac. Is this absolute growth (more users?) or is this related to a decline in Windows users? I switched from Windows to Mac some years ago, and I would never go back, so maybe it's partly your installed base switching.

The Mac includes GarageBand, which is a great free DAW. So maybe that helps get people interested.

One thing to consider... As a casual user of BIAB, I find the interface absolutely overwhelming. It feels like an archeological dig with 30 years of features piled on, going back to the DOS days. (I used BIAB a long time ago!) As a result, I have barely used the last 2 upgrades I bought and instead do all of my music production and songwriting in Logic Pro. (Which is more complex than GarageBand, but also enables you to hide the "advanced" features, though that's not a perfect solution.)

I would gladly buy a new easier Mac product from PG Music even if (or maybe because) it had fewer features. Perhaps you can expand your user base by appealing to new users with a less complicated product. (With native M1 support, of course!)

Best of luck

P
PLS Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Robert Wood
Hi Peter
I believe there is a solid business opportunity to take what is some of your key IP, namely all the real tracks and associated musical assets, and create a new platform (using modern Apple software tools and technologies) to run on iPadOS and MacOS - natively and with minimal cross-platform effort.
It could be possible to create different product levels to cater for various user's needs, as well as to offer an upgrade path as a user develops in their musical journey. It would also be possible to provide content packs on an ongoing basis to provide additional revenue opportunities.
A modern BIAB, running on what are arguably the best hardware and software platforms for audio and midi, could have a market potential far exceeding what is currently being realised.
Cheers,
Robert

What Robert said. Every single word!!!

Expert
Expert
Apps from Apple have exactly one function: They help sell Macs. They serve no other purpose which is why, concurrent with the release of OS 10.9 Mavericks in 2013, most of them became free.

The difference between the free (GarageBand, Pages etc.) and the paid ones in the Pro Apps bundle (Logic, Final Cut etc.) is that the Pro Apps have phone support. Apple does not advertise this but it's true. A couple of years ago, someone decided to make this exclusive to the Education Store—quickly, orders came from the top to, again, let anybody buy it—because THEY HELP SELL MACS!
Apple Pro Apps Bundle

Back to BIAB for the Mac. There are windows that look like System 7 or earlier and a few interface bugs here and there because of this. So, yea, yea, yea, it could use a ground up rewrite but, once you get used to it, the workarounds become second nature and I think, "Wait till next year…"

Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Y
Hey alright! Maybe the Mac version will come out before more than half the year is up now! :-)

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Yendog
Hey alright! Maybe the Mac version will come out before more than half the year is up now! :-)

Watch this space.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
At 70, thanks for calling me young. smile

IMac Retina 5k 27-inch, 2020 Processor 3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB Memory 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4 Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199