Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
More than 50% of my production time is spent on Volume Automation, Partial Regeneration, and MultiRiffs in the Audio Edit Window.

I wonder if there's a way I can create a customized interface layout and save it for everyday use.

According to the images attached, I'd like to shorten the height for both the Chord Sheet and the Mixer window, so I could have space to insert a Movable Audio Edit window at the bottom of the screen.

Adjust Size
Is it possible to change the window size for Panel 2 and Panel 3, and in the meanwhile have them still attached to Panel 1?

Scroll Bar
When Panel 3 is shortened, can it have a scroll bar on the right, just like panel 2, so it can be scrolled up and down to view all tracks?

Snap to Edge
Panel 4 is a floating window. Is there a way to have its edges perfectly snapped/aligned to edges of the screen?

Dark Theme
I know in the preference/display menu I can change colors of the chord sheet, but is there any pre-made dark theme preset I can select to instantly change the chord sheet to black and the chord symbols to white?

View as Mono
In the audio edit window, stereo waveform is displayed as left and right tracks. Is there a way to turn this off, so the stereo waveform is displayed the same as mono waveform, make it less distracting and easier to see?

Second Monitor
Is it possible to have Panel 2 and Panel 3 displayed in a secondary monitor, but keep Panel 1 and Panel 4 displayed in the main monitor?

Save Session
After the customization, is there a way to save the session, so that in the future, when the software is launched, it always goes to the same interface layout?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Interface 01.jpg (588.66 KB, 5 downloads)
Interface 02.jpg (244.74 KB, 324 downloads)
Interface 03.jpg (238.49 KB, 322 downloads)

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
MusicVillian, Some customization is available but, I don't think to the extent you desire.

Are you aware BiaB has two GUIs (PG Music calls them screen modes)? You can switch between the normal and minimal screen modes by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+T or by selecting a screen mode button located next to the DAW button in the DropZone (top, left side of the screen). The mixer can be moved, resized or not displayed. The mixer can even be moved to a second monitor but the move does not persist between sessions. There maybe other customization's I'm not aware of.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (454.12 KB, 315 downloads)
Normal mode
Clipboard02.jpg (360.34 KB, 314 downloads)
Minimal mode
Clipboard03.jpg (438.09 KB, 313 downloads)
Movable, resizable mixer

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran

Veteran
Veteran

This is just one layout example, you can have others.
You can run this script from the little GUI above or with a hot key.
It's set to a 1920x1080 screen, for dual monitors just set larger coordinates.
The mixer needs to be free and not docked as I can't see a shortcut to un-dock.
If you need the script to un-dock it will need click coordinates.
Download https://www.autohotkey.com/ install
set the AutoHotkey.exe to run as admin (this will allow it to access Biab if it's set to run as admin).
Copy code and save to my script.ahk, double click to run, or as mentioned you can include it in the GUI above or add a hot key to the script.
Code:
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance Force

SetTitleMatchMode, 2 

IfWinExist, ahk_class TAudioEditFloat
{
	Winactivate, ahk_class TAudioEditFloat
	Sleep, 100
    WinMove, ahk_class TAudioEditFloat,, 0, 800, 1920, 300
}

IfWinNotExist, ahk_class TAudioEditFloat
{
    Winactivate, ahk_class TBandWindow 
	WinMenuSelectItem, ahk_class TBandWindow, , Window, Audio Edit, Moveable Audio Edit Window
    Sleep, 100
	WinMove, ahk_class TAudioEditFloat,, 0, 800, 1920, 300
}

Sleep, 100
WinMove, ahk_class TBandWindow,, 0, 0, 1440, 900

IfWinExist, Mixer
{
	Winactivate, Mixer
	Sleep, 100
    WinMove, Mixer,, 1425, 0, 500, 800

}

IfWinNotExist, Mixer
{
	WinMenuSelectItem, ahk_class TBandWindow, , Window, Floating Mixer Window
	Winactivate, Mixer
	Sleep, 500
    WinMove, Mixer,, 1425, 0, 500, 800

}

Veteran
Veteran
Right click Save Link/Target As BB Quick Menu & Mixer.ahk
The taskbar is set to auto hide, if yours is not set to auto hide then you need to change the height of the audio edit and mixer.
To edit go down the script to Layout1: or Layout2: or Layout3:
You can add more layouts.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Jim Fogle
@musocity

Attached picture is exactly what I want to achieve.

I did some experiments today and can confirm, BiaB doesn't allow panels to be docked using built-in features. I've been dealing with Adobe product for ages, and every single one of Adobe software can easily have panels docked anywhere as wish.

Also, in the waveform edit view, there is no way to display stereo track in a single row like a mono track.

mosocity's approach of using AutoHotkey's scripting to arrange panels is inspiring, it is truly a way of "Reverse to Revolutionize". I already have a third party snapping software installed called WinSplit Revolution, and I will use it to arrange and snap panels in BiaB, make the waveform panel always shown.

BiaB Docking.jpg (443.22 KB, 220 downloads)

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
If you are going to use BiaB you will need to become a big fan of "BB & The Workarounds" as I'm usually the one the has to come up with workarounds frown BiaB is awesome how it can stitch sections together musically, it just falls short in the workflow compared to what can be done with those sections in a DAW.
The way to solve the issue is:
1. Put a lot, lot more work into Biab (years frown )
2. Get the BBPlugin working fast with Alt+F8 and without creating gigs of wav files. (could of been done by now)
3. Give the BiaB track data txt that will load all the tracks instantly into Reaper. (could of been done by now)

The only stereo files that display as mono are the overheads and room tracks in the Mutitrack drums.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Attached picture is exactly what I want to achieve. >>

It seems BIAB can do this now and have multiple docked screens. I may be missing something. I'll be glad to provide loading instructions if the images I've attached are what you're trying to get.

MusicVillians View.gif (340.2 KB, 195 downloads)
BIAB displaying Musicvillian's view
With Notation and Audo Edit Windows.gif (321.35 KB, 194 downloads)
BIAB with Multiple Windows Docked

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<< Attached picture is exactly what I want to achieve. >>

It seems BIAB can do this now and have multiple docked screens. I may be missing something. I'll be glad to provide loading instructions if the images I've attached are what you're trying to get.

Unless I'm mistaken, those aren't docked, they're floating windows placed on top of each other, i.e., the other panels don't shrink and allow the additional panel to share the space within the parent window.

I think the only window which docks like that is the mixer window, which can be docked and un-docked with the icon in its top-right corner.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Here's some layout examples and Adobe Audition playing wma RT/RD sections:

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Unless I'm mistaken, those aren't docked, they're floating windows placed on top of each other, i.e., the other panels don't shrink and allow the additional panel to share the space within the parent window. I think the only window which docks like that is the mixer window, which can be docked and un-docked with the icon in its top-right corner. >>

You're correct. They're movable windows that aren't docked so they can be saved and reopened in new projects. But, from MusicVillain's statement in his initial post, it was unclear to me if he was aware at the time the Audio Edit Window is a movable window.

I wasn't sure if MusicVillain constructed his screen shot in BIAB or used the third party snapping software "WinSplit Revolution" he has installed.

My point intended is that BIAB can construct that exact screen layout he wants to display without a third party plug-in or auto hot-key scripting.

All of the external programs and screen shots mentioned may infer to many that BIAB doesn't presently have this feature and no workarounds are necessary. The thread's confusing.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
The thread's confusing.

A bit ... there's lots of it.
Docking wasn't originally mentioned but came up later from when Musocity used the term. There's perhaps an ambiguity about what docking means.
Please accept my apologies if you felt I was at odds.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No Gordon, no offense taken at all. I think your point is spot on. The windows would need to dock in order to always open as a saved template. I think that's the ultimate outcome desired.

But replicating the Screen shot with the Mixer and Audio Edit window displayed 'as if' they were docked can be done today and is a feature. BIAB can "create a customized interface layout" and the original topic question is how to do it in BIAB.

The thread had drifted a little off topic. Musocity's demonstrations and images are relative, good alternatives, and possible future developments to improve the GUI. Maybe less confusing if they're mentioned as alternatives here and then post the greater explanation and details in the Wish List Forum.

Veteran
Veteran
"My point intended is that BIAB can construct that exact screen layout he wants to display without a third party plug-in or auto hot-key scripting. "
You can manually move windows around, that goes without saying.
I think if you used other apps this is the norm they dock, so you look for that when you use Biab. But to change layouts with one click with one little always on top box that helps BiaB to do so many things easily would have to be a no brainer for $0 and not waiting years for functions to be implemented.
By his posts I think MV looks for the function he's used to in other audio apps but can't find them.
Do PG ever look for things in BiaB that other apps have ? Do PG staff sit down and and actually do work in other DAW's to compare workflow.
PG has so many staff compared to Reaper(2) and RapidComposer(1) but these give regular fixes, updates and improvements.
You can't remain isolated and out of touch with other audio apps users use. So many of these missing things have been in other apps for over 20 years. For example non destructive editing, 24bit 48khz audio samples, vst sync, crossplatforms released at the same time. These are just industry standard things.
Sorry I might gone on a bit but they are just recurring issues, please try not to take offense from it but look at it as free powerful advice that does not have to be paid for, I maybe brash but I care. I really don't do it for "ME", I have Track Injector I can do anything with that.
I have seen the Win forum usage drop right off in the past few years, maybe from covid or retirement as most would have been older users ?
As stated we don't want to see it go down like IBM or Kodak frown

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< By his posts I think MV looks for the function he's used to in other audio apps but can't find them. >>

Exactly. That was the point of my post. To tell him and others BIAB can do "Attached picture is exactly what I want to achieve."

Nothing more. I apologize if anyone thought I was upset about it.

<< Sorry I might gone on a bit but they are just recurring issues, please try not to take offense from it but look at it as free powerful advice that does not have to be paid for, I maybe brash but I care. I really don't do it for "ME",..." >>

I wasn't offended or put off by your posts. A large amount of what I've figured out about BIAB has come from your posts, images and expert advice. In this particular post, some things were a bit confusing, including my post phrasing about docking versus movable.

The original post title inquired how to create a Customized Interface Layout in Band in a Box? I agree there are many recurring issues but the topic had drifted a little off the specific BIAB technique question and could be confusing to some. I appreciate all that you contribute and was attempting to inform that BIAB can produce the desired screen. I agree that other software may have DAW features not found in BIAB, but that doesn't always mean that BIAB can't actually do that process. Don't overlook that PG Music does regular fixes, updates and improvements. Last year there were more than a few updates released. PG Music releases a major upgrade release yearly. Studio One is only at version 6. I agree with you and hope BIAB doesn't decline. I will say that although the Forum usage may be down, the number of registered users has steadily increased in the years I've been here.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@Charlie Fogle
@Gordon Scott
@musocity

After thoroughly reading through you guys' discussion, I still have one question unsolved.

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, those aren't docked, they're floating windows placed on top of each other...

Docking vs Floating
My goal is to achieve docking without the need of external programs or scripting.

The problem with floating is, if you work on a full song with lots of chords in many rows, when you scroll down the chord sheet to the bottom, the lower part of the chord sheet is being covered by the floating waveform window, and you can't see your stuff.

Docking would not have this problem. But you can't do docking within BiaB.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You're correct. However, in the example posted, regardless the number of chords and many rows, floating windows don't present a problem with the example layout desired. Yes, the Audio Edit Window covers the bottom of the Chord Sheet, but scrolling the Chord Sheet reveals the lower chords and they can be seen clearly. The idea for docking the windows is a

Scroll.gif (326.67 KB, 107 downloads)

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
For now I will just use a temporary solution of putting the movable audio edit window to a secondary monitor. Dockability will be a desirable feature in the future.

Veteran
Veteran
This is not covering any chords.

You can do layouts in RealBand but they are free floating with no snap same as BiaB but confined within the main RealBand window,

so for dual monitors you would need to span the main RealBand window over the 2 desktops.

Watch Kenny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3sVPiruiUM

Fl Studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yoz7a9_2hg

At the end of the day you can wish and hope then wait that one year it may be implemented, or make do or do workarounds.

This is not using the Track Injector GUI, you can just use 2 scripts in Reaper to get a track by sections instantly into Reaper,
1 will insert a new track then transfer selected BiaB track
2 will insert section riff of selected BiaB track into current track

You can set these to hot keys. All the issues you keep running into in Biab you would be better to play around with Reaper as I can't script it with FL Studio. Being able to do it all in a good DAW is what you really need for the work you do. There is no rendering to consolidated wav files that you need to wait for like the BBPlugin.

Veteran
Veteran
You have themes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,037
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186