Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
synthmaster (sm) q's.

excuse my dumb q's just gettin' to grips with it.

1..will sm only work in bb 64 bit ? what about bb 32/rb 32 n' 64 bit /other daws ?
2..am i correct in thinking one must 'always' create a chord trak ?
3..why doesnt sm/util trak just assume one wants to use the chords already layed out on the chord sheet ? why the xtra step ? i'm confused.

its no biggie but the bottom of sm is cut off here. i can still work with it tho'.

if i remember sm used to come in computer music magazines suite of plug ins….
dunno if it still does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7lG6QaI6k

above is a video of its use. tho' an earlier version vid i assume it might be of use to someone interested in synths ?

frankly i'm no synth whizz…lol. just trying to get to grips with this synth.

any info would be nice.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi,
The SynthMaster Player that comes with BIAB is 32bit and 64bit VST and can be used in other DAW's
Your YouTube link is showing the full version of SynthMaster with all the editing parameters.

More information on the Player can be found here.

https://www.kv331audio.com/synthmasterplayer.aspx

Brian

Last edited by Brian Cadoret; 02/26/23 11:53 AM.

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1111. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Brian.

ADDENDUM.

ok i have sm running now in 64 bit rb and bb.

but it looks like it wont load in a 32 bit app.
eg bb 32 no go.

are you saying sm works in all your 32 bit apps ?

sorry to trouble you…i'm normally good at this stuff lol.

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/26/23 02:26 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
For those interested, +++ HERE +++ is the Synthmaster V2.9 User Manual.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Jim/brian.

in 32 bit bb synthmaster shows in 'choose plug in' list.
but it doesnt load when hilited and chosen.

maybe its a prob with 32 bit bb ?

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/26/23 03:45 PM.

Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
justanoldmuso, I don't use 32 bit Band-in-a-Box so I don't know why 32 bit Synthmaster doesn't load in 32 bit BiaB. Have you brought this question to PG Music support?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Jim.

i dont like to trouble support if i can find answer here.
no biggie i'll just use 64 bit biab.

A couple of things that have really impressed me with this bb 23 is…

1..imho if people say they can't do modern genres given this new master synth and other plug ins n' content in bb i feel they wont with anything.
i find i can get just a ton of nice modern sounds out of just synthmaster. i'm spoilt for sound choices.
plus there are loads of freebie vi's on the net.

2..i'm finding that the genning of songs/rt's etc etc on my system is nearly instantaneous. much faster.
is it me or are you finding the same ?

best

om

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
To answer your original question...

Quote:
1..will sm only work in bb 64 bit ? what about bb 32/rb 32 n' 64 bit /other daws ?

It's only 64-bit

Quote:
2..am i correct in thinking one must 'always' create a chord trak ?

No, you do not need a MIDI chord track at all... but you DO need to have some MIDI notes on the track, otherwise nothing will play. The MIDI chord track is very useful for the apreggiator patches (you can identify them because they start with 'ARP'), and also for pads. You can choose them yourself in the SynthMaster window, or you can use our presets which you will find in the Select HiQ Instrument dialog (filter for synthmaster).

Quote:
3..why doesnt sm/util trak just assume one wants to use the chords already layed out on the chord sheet ? why the xtra step ? i'm confused.

Well, it DOES use chords from the chord sheet. It just allows you to define specifically how you want to use those chords to write the chord track. For example, perhaps you only want to use notes below middle C, or want them played really softly, etc.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
I have never used this instrument.
I don't think this is BIAB's strong point. Because I have NEXUS and AVENGER.
I suggest that if BIAB wants to add some modern electronic sound, it is better to make REALTRACK.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
swingbabymix,
I am glad you got top of the line synths...

Synthmaster is included basically as a bonus. For someone starting out, it is an amazing synth. It has some very decent sounds and deep controls and arpeggios. Some patches very comparable with sounds from Halion & Komplete.

You should perhaps share some of your music in Showcase or include an example from youtube in the request tracks section of the forum of the stuff you are looking for.

P.S. you can try to record a User Track yourself using your synts..... If done right, will act like RT.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Andrew.

thanks for your comments. got it .
i'm haveing loads of fun with the synthmaster plug in.
i just use a dumb midi kbd over usb to trigger.

Andrew...i forgot to mention...

as realband has the great easy midi transpose feature..
i used with synthmaster n' got an insane number of sounds
includeing sci fi etc etc...includeing sound 'stacking'.. its got me cranked up cos there are sooo many sound creation possibilities n' beats n' goodness what else. kudos to pg for includeing this.
a wonderfull synth product imho. i have an external midi synth module here...to the basement it goes lol.
sm is rocking my socks...

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/11/23 04:50 AM.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:
No, you do not need a MIDI chord track at all... but you DO need to have some MIDI notes on the track, otherwise nothing will play.

What are the functional differences between the old Sforzando and the new SynthMaster, other than soundbank? Can they be used interchangably?

In other words, rather than generating a chord track, can you do it the old way, by adding MIDI or Super MIDI to a track, generate, then delete Sforzando, play that track with SynthMaster?

SynthMaster Player has two versions. A free version with 550 sounds, a paid version with 2200 sounds.

Which version comes with BiaB 2023 installer?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
MV.

i show just shy of 2000 patches in smaster……plus loads more using the old midi transpose trick. you can have oodles of traks in rb so the skys the limit.

after 3 days with sm i'm still finding new sounds. frankly there are so many sounds in it…i'm still absorbing it all. its mind boggling. i'm going thru sm identifying my fav patches.

basically you can do anything with a midi trak in rb thats either imported OR generated by rb.
and tricks to discover useing rb features.

if you want to go really bonkers you can gen a midi trak and go crazy like use the rb drum pattern generator n' then plug in a synth like smaster or whatever syntn n' make crazy sounds out of a midi trak that started as a midi drum trak…skys the limit.

remember pg gives you a 30 day guarantee....cos i dont know all your methods.

happiness

om (a midiot..lol)

you might find this interesting also.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=757501#Post757501

and more synth freebies courtesy of computer music mag uk.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=computer+music+magazine+august+2021+vault+plugins

dont underestimate the cm mag plug ins !!

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/13/23 01:42 PM.

Apprentice
Apprentice
So, can I comprehend in this way?

• SM Arpeggiator Sound: Use Chord Track.

• SM Non-Arpeggiator Sound: Use MIDI or SuperMIDI Generation.

• Non-EDM Track: Use Sforzando, not SM.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
MV.

to summarise it seems that sm behaves like any other vi/synth/instrument plug in.

as to music genres it includes non edm genres. mind boggling array of sounds possible.

i count about 40 genres.

really this is a v flexible plug in.

DONT think of it as just a synth plug in…think of it also as a 'painter of sonic pictures'.

eg it could be used in rock or country or sci fi or tv or film soundscapes.

for example lets say you want subtle background music to accompany a eagle flying over a landscape or say a herd of zebra in africa…you can do that.
it all depends how one applies oneself in the creation process.

the other thing is it includes a cpu resource indicator….and various oscillators n' dials i havent had time to play with yet. (note i'm no synth pro…i tend to use presets a lot.)

basically if there are midi notes on a rb trak…sound will play back.

frankly this synth plus the cm vi plug ins i have (check out cm DUNE sometime.)...
its like i have an 'aladdins cave' of sound possibilities.

i think as we prolly do songs differently that you test out smaster n' see if it meets your needs. thats the best way.

best.

om

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
So, can I comprehend in this way?

• SM Arpeggiator Sound: Use Chord Track.

• SM Non-Arpeggiator Sound: Use MIDI or SuperMIDI Generation.

• Non-EDM Track: Use Sforzando, not SM.

I have the full version of SM and all of its patches, thus what I can do may or may not be available in the PGM version of SM.

There are many patches that are non-EDM that one can use in place of Sforzando. Note that these are synth sounds so they will be the vintage sounding horns, strings, etc and not true emulations like Kontakt, Sampletank, etc. I have used some of these sounds in my songs.

Plus with the full version you have a ton of ways to manipulate the patches.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
SM lists.jpg (175.93 KB, 86 downloads)
SM list 2.jpg (125.52 KB, 85 downloads)

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sadly, after reading you guys' testimonies, I became a SynthMaster junkie myself.

An addiction is easy to get on, hard to get off.

As of today, every single song I produce in BiaB, will have SynthMaster in it. Either as meat and potato for EDM vibe, or as salt and pepper for background ambient.

I found the arpeggiator feature combined with Chord Track auto generation is evil. It takes 10 seconds to transform your song into an exotic masterpiece. If it's not cheating, then what is it?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,714
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197