Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#757509 03/11/23 11:45 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Good day all...

I have been working on a song and I noticed that when the song starts playing from the first bar of the song the "band" just bangs into play. All the instruments just come in at the same time.

Of course, this isn't something new - it has always been this way. I was sitting back listening to what I've done and started to wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to make it sound like a live band starting off a song. They never just come in at exactly the same time.

This isn't a real problem for me, I'm just thinking if anyone else notices this and may have a way they use to address it.

Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think about this with every song I make, BIAB or whatever. Its called arranging the song. If you don't know how to do it, get a producer, its his job grin .

A few things I like to ...

Let it build, it is all about anticipation, tension and release...

Let the bass and drums sit out a few bars

Change up the tempo at the song beginning with Ritardando

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
May I ask, do you mean all the instruments enter at the same basic time rather than starting with drums, adding bass, etc. to "ease into" a song? If that's what you want, use F5 to mute/un-mute instruments, or use the audio editing for more exact control.

Or, do you mean they all play at exactly the same instant to start measure one, as only a machine could do in real life?

If it's the second, I can tell you I use BIAB for jazz and Latin, and particularly in jazz, the guitar will often enter a fraction ahead of the beat at the beginning of the song. Stylistically, this sounds 'real'. For whatever other genre you may be asking about, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me to see this done elsewhere besides the jazz RealTracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First, I don't think there is any way to start a song that is more correct than any other way.

It is pretty common to let things build both in complexity and volume.

I rarely use anything from BIAB precisely as it comes out. The quicker I can get out of BIAB and into Studio One, the better.

If you listen to the demos in BIAB, they are rarely arranged very well and seldom what a live musician would typically do in many cases.

There are many ways to control volume in multiple areas of a track. Specific notes, phrases, and sections can be muted in any DAW. If you listen to really well-done songs on the user showcase, I think you will find a lot of work goes into creating the song and much of that work is done in a DAW.

Some things are considered standards, like not covering the vocalist's voice. Whoever is in the lead should be "supported" by the other components of the arrangement.

There are times when I want everything possible I can get in the first few measures. That was sort of a trademark of our band. I want you to stop talking, put down your drink, and start walking toward the stage. We used to do that on the first song of almost every set.

Listen to the music you like and try to copy some of the processes you hear that you want.

Perhaps there are ways to get what you want to hear directly out of BIAB. I have asked many people here if they thought that was possible. No one has said yes, I can do that. They have all said, sure, you can do simple stuff like mute certain things or change the timing, but more complex things are better done in a DAW. That DAW could be almost any DAW, RealBand, Pro Tools, Cakewalk, Studio One 6 Pro, and a dozen others.

You are the person who is creating the song, and the way it started should be your decision, not BIAB or any other thing except your creativity and skill.

Billy

EDIT: Some notable intros to songs.

The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run ( No Vinnie drumming in BIAB...lol)

Fleetwood Mac - Need Your Love So Bad ( This intro is as old as the hills and has been used by dozens of blues guitar players to significant effect)

The Beatles - Come Together ( The prototype for a drummer and a bass player joined at the hip)

Devo- Whip It ( Like them or hate them, they are instantly recognizable)

I could go on with some of the stuff straight out of Compton, Ca, in the more modern gangsta rap style but not!

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/11/23 02:27 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I still don't know what you mean by "sound like a live band starting off a song". You want some players starting early and other players starting late, not all on the downbeat? Or do you mean drums laying out for 8 bars, piano and bass only on an intro, etc? For that part, geeze, you can delete bars, insert bars, generate extra parts to see if they are better than what was generated on the first pass... I mean, you are the producer here. Produce your music your way. Only you know what you want it to sound like. And you have the best music generating software in the world to do it with.

If you mean all tracks starting accurately on the downbeat, that's kind of why you count a song in, right?

If my players don't come in on the downbeat at rehearsal, I make them start the song over. If they do it on a gig, they are looking for a job afterward.

I actually had a singer once tell me he didn't know what "downbeat" meant. I told him that we needed people at a higher level of music knowledge and told him he was fired. How can you play music and not know what the downbeat is? That's like going to KFC and not knowing what they have on the menu. They have chicken. Even if you look at the other menu board, they still have chicken. How can you grow up, finish school, get a job, have children... and still not know what KFC has on the menu?? My god! I want 3 thighs, a side of mac and cheese, slaw and a biscuit. Get out outta the line!!

//John Pinette rant over (Funniest comedian ever. I miss him.)

Last edited by eddie1261; 03/11/23 04:20 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It’s always fun answering a question before we know what the question means. We can go anywhere.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Who here is old enough to remember Professor Irwin Corey? He would walk out on stage and launch into his bit with "As I was saying" and for many minutes ranted about absolutely nothing. That's where I learned it!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
And there is always my favorite opening from Conway Twitty: Hello, Darlin'

Easy as it gets.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"...to make it sound like a live band starting off a song."
I'm afraid many bands start in & on time, particularly if someone counts them in.
There're lots of suggestions of how to make an interesting beginning/intro but few address you question.
The quickest way to get a "live" sense is to allow the drum count in bar to play before the band chimes in or record yourself calling along with those clicks ONE TWO one two three four.
That's what most bands do live.
If you work in a DAW it's no big thing to slice and slide a couple of things around so that one may start a tiny bit early and another a little late for the 1st bar or so if that's what you want to hear but, honestly, most decent bands, amateur or otherwise, either have a count in or they have someone play an intro part for them to cling to.

Last edited by rayc; 03/12/23 12:18 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: bobbyt9999
I was sitting back listening to what I've done and started to wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to make it sound like a live band starting off a song. They never just come in at exactly the same time.

You could include the count-in and add some finger squeaks, maybe even a touch of feedback. And a breath.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: bobbyt9999
I was sitting back listening to what I've done and started to wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to make it sound like a live band starting off a song. They never just come in at exactly the same time.

You could include the count-in and add some finger squeaks, maybe even a touch of feedback. And a breath.

Plus you could include some crowd noise.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Love it. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A nifty trick I've used a couple of times is copying the 1st note played by a guitar, dropping it right in front of the original & reversing that "sample"/"item"/"section" - most DAWS can do it...it gives the impression of a bit of feedback as the volume knob is rolled.

Last edited by rayc; 03/12/23 11:12 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We often prefer a few "pickup" notes before everybody hits the "one." In my bluegrass days we always did that as we did not have a drummer. And we will still do the same on occasion as IMO that's the way many songs of varying genres are introduced. Sometimes several regens will create a solo RT note that comes in early. If not we just find something we like in the track that works and comp it in. FWIW.

Bud

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I find it slightly funny that some of our band members feel that a spoken count-in sounds somehow unprofessional, so they count-in quietly.

That usually works OK, but very occasionally they're front of stage and count too quietly for the rhythm section to hear them.

Personally I think the audience probably couldn't care less about a count-in, but of course I may be wrong.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The OP has not replied as yet and I still don't know if he WANTS the band to start exactly together does DOESN'T want the band to start exactly together. In my ears I can't imagine a band not hitting the pickup in perfect sync. An intro or drum pickup at the start is one thing, but the players have to hit the one as one. (See what I did there?)

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner guys. Life hasn't allowed me to spend a lot of time to spend on the forums or making music. I have been able to scan the forum while having my coffee but not enough time to post. I should be able to get back this afternoon.

Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, as I see it, you have a few options.

1. Everybody in on ONE. Yes, good musicians can and do start at the same time on the 1. That's kind of the default way to do it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of start. There might be a couple of milliseconds difference in the actual hit on one, but not enough for anyone to notice.

2. Pick up notes. You hear this all the time too. In country..."and a 4 and" is an accepted way to kick off a song. The pick up can be the fiddles, steel, guitar, drums, and quite often, all of them combined.

3. Partial start.... this can be on the one or a pickup start but it generally only includes the drums, or the guitars..... again this instrumentation lineup varies from song to song.... the rest of the band waits until the end of the verse, or some other strategically located musical mile marker to enter.

4. Vocal start.... with the instruments coming in at some point AFTER the vocal sings a line. (See Alan Jackson Pop A Top*) *actually used a pickup followed by the vox... then the band.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
I find it slightly funny that some of our band members feel that a spoken count-in sounds somehow unprofessional, so they count-in quietly.

That usually works OK, but very occasionally they're front of stage and count too quietly for the rhythm section to hear them.

Personally I think the audience probably couldn't care less about a count-in, but of course I may be wrong.

Yep.... In every band I ever played in, there was always....well almost always an audible count in and very often accompanied by the drummer smacking his sticks together. One Two, One Two Three Four...

Not one single time, I mean not ever, did anyone in the bar/club, ever say anything about the count in and that counting out loud was amateurish. Big bands and orchestras have conductors who generally count in silently, but again, they often "mouth" the words and they have a baton they use to indicate the count.

The only songs that weren't counted were the ones that had a unique and often one chord intro.... such as Lukenbach Texas, and a few other ones of similar ilk.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199