Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
On one of my studio's Windows 7 64 bit computers, our IT department just copied over 160 GB of exe installer files of BiaB 2023 Ultra+ Pack, and then told me it's not their job to do the install, it's mine.

• Main BiaB Program & Updates - 2 GB
• Sforzando & Playable RealTracks - 6 GB
• RealTracks & RealDrums - 123 GB
• Add-ons - 32 GB

I agree with Matt Finley, never delete the exe installer files. Which means I will need an additional 1.3 times of disk space to install these exe files. That is well over 200 GB.

So, over 360 GB of disk space in order to store BiaB program and exe installers.

I'm not here to complain, but BiaB is the number one largest music software I've ever used in my life. To be clear, I'm not really a fan of Kontakt Komplete or Ueberschall Complete Bundle, even though they're pretty large too.

Here is what I plan to do: Double click and install the exe one by one. I don't want to use the master_realtracks_installer file, because it's possible to miss out a few installers in the process, and I have to later go through the log file to check which ones were not installed, would be very time consuming.

I wonder, if I start to install and extract all these exe files to the default C:\bb folder, is it going to make a mess? I already have BiaB 2022 with a few add-ons and paks in that bb folder, is it going to generate duplicates?

To me, Band-in-a-Box is the largest music software on Earth. No doubt.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
You can just copy the bb folder to a hard drive and run it from there or copy the bb folder to the new PC, along with the C:\Program Files\PG Music Inc
There are only a few things you need to install like bbfonts.exe, pgdx_plug_2_0_0.exe, biab_daw_plugin.exe (should be in C:\bb\Data\Installers), Sforzando and I think just one Library should register it ?
Run it and enter serial.
It should just update the Sforzando PG library, if you don't have all the Playable RealTracks in Sforzando copy the original Band-in-a-Box Sounds.bank.xml in the PG Music Inc folder.
The Audiophile version is over 1.5TB

Veteran
Veteran
I agree that PG Music content is expansive and takes up a great deal of storage. At the same time there is an issue where some computers have limited storage space; particularly on the primary storage drive.

The solution for first time customers wanting the Ultra or Audiophile packages is to purchase the optional, hard drive. The external hard drive contains the programs and content and can be used on any computer with a free USB port.

Once a customer has Band-in-a-Box on an external hard drive future updates and purchases can be installed to the drive.

A user with an Ultra or Audiophile package can ensure their existing package meets current standards by applying the free updates offered throughout the year. When there is a new release, purchase the update package and bonus packages offered during the new release sale. The update package includes only the new programs and content and is available by download or on a thumb drive.

PG Music programs are a little unique because the installation does not write to the registry of the Windows operating system. That means having the program on an external hard enables the program to be portable and easy to move between multiple computers.

I don't agree with your thread title. Neither Band-in-a-Box or RealBand are VSTs. Both are programs. Plugins can be VSTs but they are also available in other formats such as AAX or AU.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Once a customer has Band-in-a-Box on an external hard drive future updates and purchases can be installed to the drive.

But, you have to be aware that each year you need/should load the new version over the previous in order to keep all the files. I have 20 years of files. As a result that external HD quickly overflows

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

I don't agree with your thread title. Neither Band-in-a-Box or RealBand are VSTs. Both are programs. Plugins can be VSTs but they are also available in other formats such as AAX or AU.

The BIAB-VST requires the entire BIAB program loaded in order to run. I suspect that makes it the largest VST on Earth.

By the way, this is how I manage the needed space for BIAB. C and F are High speed SSDs (I put F in a couple days ago).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-03-27 170911.jpg (18 KB, 256 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
...The BIAB-VST requires the entire BIAB program loaded in order to run...
I think you're 99% right, Dan. There are a few .EXE and .DLL files that might not be called by the BIAB VST. laugh

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
OK. I have edited the post.

Band-in-a-Box is the largest music software on earth. Anyone disagree?

Since this is my studio's computer I have no control over purchase. If our IT department didn't purchase the external hard drive, I have to live with it, and do the install on massive exe files.

Anyone ever experienced with the "master_realtracks_installer" file? Is it reliable? Or is it going to leave out RealTrack installers?

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:
But, you have to be aware that each year you need/should load the new version over the previous in order to keep all the files. I have 20 years of files.

I wonder, if you install and extract all the new exe files to the same bb folder each year, is it going to make a mess on the old files? I already have BiaB 2022 Mega with a few add-ons and paks in the bb folder, is installing 2023 going to generate duplicate files in the bb folder?

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
The BIAB-VST requires the entire BIAB program loaded in order to run. I suspect that makes it the largest VST on Earth.

The Kontakt 5 VST plugin and the Band-in-a-Box package of program and VST are close in size but the Big Fish Audio VST plugin is way bigger. At the same time, while looking at files I found some VST files that are way smaller than anything listed here.

bbw64.exe = 56,884 KB (64 bit Program)
+
BiaB64VST = 07,658 KB

Kontakt5 = 64,111 KB (Popular Native Instruments VST Plugin)
Momentum = 80,039 KB (Big Fish Audio VST competitor to Kontakt)

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Will new users suffer from missing RealTracks?

Quote:
I have 20 years of files.

Each year, BiaB releases year specific content, called 0pak.exe and 49pak.exe, and I assume it contains RealTracks, MIDI Tracks, Styles, Songs, etc. If you miss that year's 0pak and 49pak, you won't get it with the next year's release.

Does it mean, for a new user, even installs a 2023 Ultra+ BiaB, will still have RealTracks missing from 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019...?

Missing Styles? Not an issue, don't care much. But missing RealTracks? That would be a huge problem.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
Will new users suffer from missing RealTracks?

Quote:
I have 20 years of files.

Each year, BiaB releases year specific content, called 0pak.exe and 49pak.exe, and I assume it contains RealTracks, MIDI Tracks, Styles, Songs, etc. If you miss that year's 0pak and 49pak, you won't get it with the next year's release.

Does it mean, for a new user, even installs a 2023 Ultra+ BiaB, will still have RealTracks missing from 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019...?

Missing Styles? Not an issue, don't care much. But missing RealTracks? That would be a huge problem.

Which is why I have all of my computer data including RTs, RDs, and styles backed up three times; two are here and one in my bank's deposit box.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
"Does it mean, for a new user, even installs a 2023 Ultra+ BiaB, will still have RealTracks missing from 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019...?"

I think the bonus paks have the unreleased RT's etc.. these I think are release in the next years version.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musocity
I think the bonus paks have the unreleased RT's etc.. these I think are release in the next years version.
In my opinion, that has not been established, and I do not think it is true. Otherwise, there would be no incentive to purchase Bonus paks; just wait a year.

I've asked PG Music to clarify this, and I'll be very happy if I am wrong.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
I wonder, if you install and extract all the new exe files to the same bb folder each year, is it going to make a mess on the old files? I already have BiaB 2022 Mega with a few add-ons and paks in the bb folder, is installing 2023 going to generate duplicate files in the bb folder?

Part of the process of using a PG Music installer is designating where the files will be installed. In fact the installers default to the folder locations you used during your last installation. As long as you remain consistent with where your Band-in-a-Box files are stored you shouldn't end up with duplicate files.

My understanding is the installers load new files and will update existing files when the installer includes an updated file. However when the installer finds a file that already exists and the existing file has a date and bit size that is the same as the installer file then the installer does not install the file.

There was one release when PG Music changed the underlying folder structure and that caused some confusion with existing users. Once the change was explained, all was well.

Veteran
Veteran
For those newer to these forums, I think Jim is referring to the change in BIAB 2018 that completely reorganized the folder structure of BIAB. There was a Cleanup utility introduced that could catch anything not in the right place. Since 2018, there has been no problem to my knowledge. And yes, the update looks at the file date and only updates older files.

Veteran
Veteran
https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2023.htm
2023 49-PAK Contents
Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums

Our 2023 49-PAK is loaded with 60 AMAZING bonus RealTracks – 20 more bonus RealTracks than we've offered in the past! There's a new instrument added to our RealTracks collection: the Erhu, a classical Chinese violin with two strings! Electric guitar sounds by Brent Mason (7), Mike Durham (14), Tom Britt (1), and Darin Favorite (13) are included, along with Brian Allen (12) on electric bass, Miles Black on electric piano (1), Quinn Bachand's acoustic guitar playing (1), and lap steel by Rob Ickles (2). Charles Treadway brings the rhythm organ (4), and there's 70s soul electric bass by Dave Roe (3) and 70s soul electric guitar played by Pat Bergeson! We've also included bongo drums (5), tambourine tracks (3), a cowbell, and more!

I think the incentive is to buy it now rather that wait another year.
Otherwise the wonderful content above will be deleted never to be seen again or available to new users down the track.

Veteran
Veteran
I do see the issue, and it's a good question. I agree only that PG Music has not yet made the answer clear.

I have asked if there is anything that I can no longer get if I didn't buy that particular bonus pak along the way. Just because it says Unreleased here, does not imply it will be added to the regular release in the future. I really hope your interpretation is correct, but I don't think we know yet.

And by the way, yes, MusicVillian, no other program I've seen comes close by an order of magnitude to the size of BIAB. That is certainly the case from 2008 on, with the introduction of RealTracks (and maybe even a year before, with RealDrums). Before 2007, BIAB is still the clear winner for the number of files, if not the largest storage size of the files taken together.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Regarding to the discussions between musocity and Matt Finley.

Year-Specific Bonus Content
Does PG Music allow users to purchase previous years' bonus paks? Say, currently in 2023, can a user purchase the bonus paks of 2021, 2020, 2019, etc? So he won't miss those year-specific bonus content contains RealTracks?

PG Music spends lots of money each year, flying to Nashville and record those RealTracks. It totally makes no sense to sell a bonus pak contains RealTracks for only one year, then let the bonus paks disappear forever.

Types of Bonus Paks
Can someone explain the differences between types of bonus paks? Currently, on my exe checklist, I have the following exe files.

● 2023_0pak.exe - 1.36 GB
● 2023_49pak.exe - 1.83 GB
● additional_content_2023_full.exe - 1.63 GB
● additional_content_2023_pluspak.exe - 1.92 GB

From the size of these exe files, I assume they all contain RealTracks. But why are they named differently? What are the differences in the content?

EverythingPAK & Omni PAK
People talked about them in the forum. What are these?

I know only 6 PAKs: Pro, Mega, Ultra, Ultra+, Audiophile, and Plus PAK.

Ultra vs Ultra+
The only difference between these two is the SongsLessonsPak. In other words, SongsLessonsPak is the "+" that cost $100.

Anyone ever used this SongsLessonsPak? Is it worth it?

As I checked on PG's website, this SongsLessonsPak is mainly for learning, studying, and teaching. If I do none of these, but use BiaB for music production purpose only, does it mean the SongsLessonsPak is useless in my case?

Veteran
Veteran
The Audiophile is worth a look at as it includes everything already installed on the drive so you don't need to run so many installers.
You can manually copy the RT and RD folder to where you like without running all the RT installers.
And, you get wav file quality.
If you look at the info of a previous Bonus Pak, you will see the tracks are now released:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB23-Bounus-Tracks-01.png (62.54 KB, 103 downloads)
BB23-Bounus-Tracks-02.png (60.22 KB, 102 downloads)
BB23-Bounus-Tracks-03.png (59.81 KB, 101 downloads)
M
M
Spitfire's Symphony Complete - 601.80 GB disk space required during install.

Veteran
Veteran
BIAB Audiophile. Almost 2 TB now.

To the question, I have requested to buy a ‘make up’ pak to be sure I have everything including bonus Paks I might not have purchased at the time. So far, no answer. That might be a marketing choice. If musocity is right and all past offerings are included in the present, then I don’t need such a make-up pack. The issue is about ‘all’ and that’s hard for users to prove. You don’t know what it is that you don’t know. (Rumsfeld variant)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,103
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185