Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Written for the lovely Mrs. Sawmill Music

Stay With Me

I welcome any and all comments positive or otherwise. Yea I don't like my voice either but I think I can mostly stay in tune . . . LOL

Yes, I do like steel guitar and it's what actually led me to finding BiaB so here's my first attempt at blending me and BiaB.

~Russell~

ME
Acoustic Guitar (X2)
Electric Guitar
Bass Guitar
Vocals
BiaB
Drums:RealDrums=TrainBeat: a: Train Snare, Kick b: Train Snare, BusyKick
2778:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm TrainBeatMike12-key Ev16 090
2013:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountryWorkinJohn Ev16 90 (Bluesy) [Soloist]
2777:Pedal Steel, Background TrainBeatEddy12-key Ev16 090
3955:Pedal Steel, Soloist CajunTrain Ev16 090

EDIT - Forgot to add lyrics and gear - Recorded/Mixed in Cakewalk with tracks from BiaB and live recording.

Stay With Me
Russ Howe

The first time that I saw you sittin in that chair
Beautiful smile and that sexy blonde hair
I think I fell in love the first time you laughed
I know I wanted you and the feeling hasn't passed
Lady would you stay with me awhile
I'll do my best to make you smile

I had to have you near me and hold you in my arms
I couldn't fight the feeling well I guess you had me charmed
The first time that you touched me set my soul on fire
If I said I felt this way before you know I'd be a liar
I’ll do my best to make you smile
I'll be satisfied to make you smile

Lady in the future there's no dark clouds in the sky
Just a little place where we both learn how to fly
I would like to see you smile thirty years from now
I would like to stay with you if time and fate allow

I don't know where you're going to or where you're coming from
But while we're here together why don't we have some fun
Who knows what the future holds it's better left unread
The answers are a mystery and the questions hurt my head
I'll be satisfied to make you smile
I really love the way you smile

Lady in the future there's no dark clouds in the sky
Just a little place where we both can learn to fly
I would like to make you smile a hundred years from now
I would like to hang around if time and fate allow

Not asking for your promises but don't tell me no lies
One thing I will guarantee I'll never make you cry
I would like to stay with you forever and a day
As long as you're still smiling you will always hear me say
I’ll do my best to make you smile
I really love the way you smile
I guarantee to make you smile

Last edited by Sawmill Music; 04/08/23 12:14 AM.

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Russell, if this is your first attempt to use BIB, I have to say that it came out pretty good. I'm sure other folks can say something about it in a very constructive way.
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Russell,

Great to see a song from you, and welcome to the forum!

First of all a very good song.

I think your vocal is fine. Not listening on my best system at the moment, that’s shut down for the night. Listening on my evening system (iPad ;P ) I think you might have too much reverb on the vocal.

But I like the song and great to hear the live instruments in the mix.

Nicely done!

I like your Waylon quote too, right on the money.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome.
The rhythm guitar high on the right, (in headphones), is a little bright/brittle and loud compared to the band.
Vocals settle in quickly but you may have either too much or a different reverb from the rest so you sound above and away from the band.
If you didn't export the BIAB flat, dry & centred I'd suggest that'd be a great place to start next time as you can do you own reverb and match things.
Nice driving song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Russell.
I like the song but agree about the reverb.
Generally speaking it should be of the same type as the rest of the band. In this song it should be less of it, too. At the moment it sounds like you're singing in another room.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Once again, a BIG welcome to the forum, Russell --Mr. Sawmill. Mrs. Sawmill must be very happy, and I bet needed no encouragement to stay. Fun song, and terrific first use of BiaB. Dang, that piano solo is wild and crazy. Love the whole song. Lots of good playing from yourself, too. There are some terrific folks here with very discriminating ears, and you love it here. Carry on.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome aboard!

What a rollicking rocker! Your voice sounds good, so don't worry about that. I like your guitar and bass work too. The comments about the technical aspects about the mix that others had made are good ones to consider.

Good job!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Russell,

I think this is a really great debut and I applaud you for the use of the live played instruments with the band in a box tracks.

You are off to a really great start.

I have a few simple tips for you that I use all of the time when I'm trying to produce a complicated mix such as you're doing, especially one that's in the rock and roll vein.

1. First, mix down the bed with nothing but the instruments eqed and sounding exactly the way you want them to sound and creating a single stem from that.

One of the commenters was right in that if you export the band in a box tracks flat, dry and center they usually sound better in most cases and you can apply subtle effects to them later. (Or keep the reverb mild.)

Now take the master bed of just the instruments you mixed and put that on a single track in your DAW all by itself as an audio reference.

2. Now start to blend in the vocals, only using the instrument bed with all the other instrument faders down for now. Easy on the reverb. You have a great country voice and it's probably going to sound much better if we can hear those vocal chords on the raw vocal track. Feel free to use other vocal tracks (copies of the main used as doubles) with effects on them, just keep the raw vocal higher than those in the mix, fiddle and fool around with it until you get the right blend. You will find a sweet spot where your raw vocal track blended in with vocal tracks that have effects on them will begin to sound more powerful especially when they're sitting on top of the mix.

3. Next, when you're listening to what you have so far, you may want to pull those other tracks for the guitars, bass or whatever up or down a little bit in the mix using your own mastered instrument track as the reference. For example if you want a little bit more acoustic guitar then pull that acoustic guitar up against the master and find the Sweet spot where the instruments are enough but not too much and the vocals are predominant.

4. Once you've done that you can either keep the instrument reference track the way you have it with the other instruments too or you can completely fade it out and use the newly mixed tracks that you are adjusting against your own instrumental reference.

In this way you'll be able to achieve a really great separation of instruments and get the type of dynamic range that you're looking for.

It will also help you keep things simple and create that space in the song that you're always looking for.

Anyway just my two cents and a couple of things that I had to learn how to do over the years with complicated rock mixes such as this.

Rock and roll (or country rock) is really really hard to mix but I think you're doing a great job.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As others have said, welcome. This was a good listen and good write.

"Who knows what the future holds it's better left unread
The answers are a mystery and the questions hurt my head"

I can tell you've been doin music for quite some time.
Keep up the good work.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good song with a nice drive, gets my feed moving.
In terms of mix/production you already got some good advice, nothing I can add to that.

Oh, and welcome to the showcase smile

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Russell,

I enjoyed your first song a great deal.

Particularly the electric twangy guitar in the left channel which I assume is you playing. This really rocks along.

Yes I agree with others about the reverb on the voice - hopefully easy to fix in the mix.

I would also like to hear the guitar fills and the solo piano a bit louder - they are very good.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

Excellent debut. Really nice work.

Others have mentioned the minor issues and easy fixes, so no need to repeat that.

Good write, well sung, good backing tracks with a mix that kept things interesting and moving along.

Glad to have you here! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'd like to thank all of you who took the time to listen and comment on this. The feedback is appreciated and, more importantly, very helpful! I've re-exported the BaiB tracks dry and also revisiting the vocal effects and mix. Hopefully I can get it up to the level so many of you are already at!

@David Snyder - I really appreciate you taking the time to detail out that information - That's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for!

I will re-post the song when it's fixed and look forward to additional advice!

Thanks again!!!

~Russell~

Last edited by Sawmill Music; 04/10/23 09:16 AM.

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Really love that country rock sound you've got Russell. Great start with Biab! Cool groove to this song. Both the electric and acoustic rhythm guitars really stood out. I too, love steel guitar, and I liked the one you chose for this song. It fits really well. Personally, I would have liked to hear it further up in the mix during the majority of the song, not necessarily as loud as it was at the end, but enough to let it stand out a little more. Don't get hung up on your singing. First of all, I think it's pretty good - it sometimes reminds me a bit of Jerry Reed. I'm not a singer either, which becomes painfully obvious at times, but the folks on the forum have been great at putting up with me and helping me out with production and giving several ideas in an encouraging way. Judging by this song, I'm really going to enjoy hearing your stuff - welcome!

Brad

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very cool backing track

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very cool backing track
I like the whole groove of it

My only comment would be to reduce the reverb on the mix of your voice
To put you in the same room as the instrumentation.

Good job!

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song, well sung and played.

Some good hints and tips from others.

Welcome.

Peter

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Russell,

This is an excellent first post . . . Welcome to the forum! The write is really good and your vocal is solid. This fare exceeds the production value of my first post some five years ago.

From a production standpoint, you’ve gotten a ton of good suggestions and advice, and I can’t add anything more in addition. Quite honestly, I wish when I started I got the David Snyder “Missing Tips” . . . that’s great stuff and I’d agree wholeheartedly with his summary.

The song itself has a great vibe . . . and you have a lot to work with here. Like that piano in this song an awful lot. Good stuff . . . I’ll look forward to hearing more from you!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, your vocals sound just fine and your phrasing is very natural.

The pedal steel sounds great and made us smile. smile

We have nothing to add to the previous advice regarding the mix.

Excellent performances by you and a nice BiaB session.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't hear the original post but this one is really good.
Great singing and bass and guitar chops.
Super mix.
A real toe tapper and you had me from the git-go.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,749
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191