Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
C
OP Offline
C
Hello
It's been a while 2009 was the last BIAB version I owned. Now I have MacBook Pro M1 and Good windows Laptop both capable of running BIAB. I do most of my work in Logic Pro and Cubase. The MacBook has 1TB ssd and the windows 2TB. I think the Windows version will be ok for a while but I'm worried about the Mac version becoming obsolete with the next MacOS upgrade. I would like to get the Ultra Pak. What do you think should I go PC or Mac?

Thank You

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Major changes in the Mac OS have sometimes delayed the release of the Mac version but haven’t ever prevented it from being released. I would be surprised and disappointed if that ever happened.

You’re going to be amazed at the improvements since 2009.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Both versions are excellent.

The Windows version is usually released slightly ahead of the Mac, and I think the Windows version might have a couple of extra features, but any gap in functionality is getting more narrow every year.

The 2TB drive could be the decider?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
And with Windows you get RealBand

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I'd go with the Windows version.

They get released earlier, and come with Real Band.

But either one is fine.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Mac.

According to Peter Gannon himself (the big boss) the user base of Band in a Box has skewed in favor of Mac for the first time in history. Looking forward I would expect that gap to increase. My opinion.

You use Logic. You really don't need 2 DAW's, let alone 3.
There's a BIAB DAW plug-in for Logic. It gets better each release.
I'm not an expert on this portion of the software.

You have a nice Mac.
AudioTrack does make a good point about storage. An external ssd addition might be in your future. Good thing they get cheaper each day.

I used PC BIAB for over 20 years. Then I used both (Mac and PC) for 4-5 years.
I am only Mac for 2-3 years now.

Mac.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I had the Mac version but gave up due to apple changing things all the time sending developers into overtime working to get their software compatible with yet another regular change.
The Win version just keeps working on any OS version and it gets released 6 months earlier.
I think there are more Mac users now as in the last few years there have been so many Win users lost with the plandemic as the forum is pretty dead.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
RealBand can natively import and export BiaB files. I don't think other DAW's can do that directly.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think the real question is "what OS are you more comfortable with"? That is the BiaB version you should purchase.

Personally I am on a PC. I have a couple of Win 95 programs running on my Win 10 computer. My son has an old Mac and will not upgrade because the graphics program on it will not run on the newer Mac OSes. He also has a PC that he uses for his more modern software.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
That's my issue with Mac. It's the “Upgrade or die” OS.

I upgrade my apps, usually with no problem. And the OS, but with Windows, the OS upgrade doesn't prevent all the old apps from working.

I started with Mac OS6/Motorola CPU.

After OSX all my apps became useless.

Then Power PC chips, and all my apps became useless.

Then Intel chips, and all my apps became useless.

And that's when I abandoned Mac.

Most, but not all, of my old useless apps were upgraded, and worked fine after the changes. However, some were already orphaned, and with no parent company, there was no upgrade available. DOA.

My Master Tracks Pro app from the Win95 era still works. I love that sequencer.

As far as Mac OS and Win OS are concerned, they both work equally well. There are differences, but they aren't monumental.

Before I quit using the Mac, BiaB was better on Windows. Slight but meaningful differences, plus the StyleMaker allowed me to do things to my styles that the Mac version did not. The better styles played on both the PC and Mac. I don't know if BiaB and Mac are equal now, I've been without Mac for some years now.

I suspect that if there is a difference, it's so slight, most people wouldn't notice. So as MarioD noted, what are you more comfortable with?

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
"Insights and incites by Notes ♫"

Says it all ! apple should run behind uses not users run behind apple caught up as slaves. How can you use a 32bit app ? you can't they have been banned. If they were smart as they make out to be their number 1 priority should be app compatibility.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Win-App-Compat.png (11.21 KB, 165 downloads)
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Ok

I had a 16 bit hex editor I used to love.
I miss it so much.

Embracing the future is scary indeed

Last edited by mrgeeze; 05/01/23 07:50 AM.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Has anyone else noticed that the OP has not returned?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
His BIAB is from 2009. But yes, I hope he/she returns. It will be interesting to hear the decision.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm also keen to know the chosen outcome...

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think the default forum setting is set to notify by email any responses for a new user.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musocity

I don't think the default forum setting is set to notify by email any responses for a new user.

You're right but if one asks a question I would think they would come back often to see the answers. Hopefully the OP is busy and hasn't had the opportunity to respond.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Well the OP has certainly been busy.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Calibinder
Hello
It's been a while 2009 was the last BIAB version I owned. Now I have MacBook Pro M1 and Good windows Laptop both capable of running BIAB. I do most of my work in Logic Pro and Cubase. The MacBook has 1TB ssd and the windows 2TB. I think the Windows version will be ok for a while but I'm worried about the Mac version becoming obsolete with the next MacOS upgrade. I would like to get the Ultra Pak. What do you think should I go PC or Mac?

Thank You
O/P. Are you still deciding?

Beginners Forum
H
hat Offline
H
Honestly, for anyone not comfortable with the idea that they need to upgrade their software every year (or two years, tops), I'd go with the Windows version. Apple is quick to deprecate things in their OSs and ecosystem. While that pattern is super-helpful for making a more reliable and secure system, it's super-painful to consumers who don't upgrade. Coupled with a consistent lag in support by most audio software vendors, it's a tricky place. As Mac users, it feels like we're just upgrading to an OS two months before the next one is announced every year, and it's always a question if legacy hardware will get real support for the next OS, half-assed updates (yeah, Line 6, I want to lower the security settings on my computer and break Apple Pay to use your drivers...NOT), or die (anyone need a M-Audio interface - it works great in MacOS 10.6 or Windows Vista?). When an OS is two releases behind, it is quick to stop receiving security upgrades (more so for MacOS than iOS).

The real difference between Windows and Mac is that Windows strives to work as broadly as possible aiming for LONG software lifecycles. Reduced security/reliability(*) and slower updates are the trade-off for supporting old stuff. Mac is tightly focused on security and stability for specific use cases involving the latest/greatest hardware/software. Reduced software/hardware lifecycles are the trade-off for that leaner system. Neither paradigm is universally superior. They have a different set of pros and cons, depending on your use case.

(*) That said, the reliability on Windows has gotten WAY better over the years, for most use cases.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199