Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Way To Go
We wrote this song with floyd eight years ago and this is a complete remix with new track fx and mastering. Of late we have had some success in getting tunes placed on some significant Spotify curator playlists. We thought this tune might be accepted by one of the acoustic oriented curators so back to the board for the new mix, etc. It was written with floyd during a time when J&B were not as far removed from our acoustic band days. So for the newer forum folks here’s another side of our productions and we hope you like it. As always your time to listen and comment are much appreciated. Thanks to floyd and PG Music!

Janice: lead vocal
floyd: harmony, lyrics & arrangement
Bud: lyrics, photo, mix and mastering

Vocals: Izotope Nectar

Bass: RT 712 Acoustic Bossa > Logic EQ > RX 8 > Waves Bass Rider > Waves Magma Tube >

(The track is the result of 14 splices. Probably should have just dusted off the old upright and played it myself smile )

Rhythm Guitar: RT 595 PopCountry
Acoustic Fingerpicking > Waves CLA Unplugged

Rhythm Guitar: RT 2200 Nylon Country > Waves CLA Unplugged

Cello: RT 1856 Pop8thsSteady > Waves CLA Unplugged

Fiddle: RT 2028 Soloist CountryAndy > Waves CLA Unplugged

Banjo: RT 1758 Pop16ths > 140 EMT Plate Reverb sim

Logic Pro X: Mix and Mastering
Mastering chain: Ozone EQ > Ozone Multi-band Compressor > Ozone Imager > Ozone Limiter > Izotope Tonal Balance 2 > Logic Loudness Meter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I am certainly one of the newer members of the forum, and I like your "other side".
A lot!
Beautiful song, and great work from all involved.

One thing I noticed, but it could be a personal preference: When both are positioned in the center, Floyd for the main vocals and Janice for the harmonies works better.
I think Janice's voice as main vocals is too strong to have both of you in the center.
I'd double Floyd (more precisely: his take grin ) and pan him LR.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Floyd,

This is an amazing write... Janice delivers the vocal so beautifully. Floyd's vocal is a perfect compliment.

The new mix truly makes it a brand new song. A really superb production.

"Something that once passed for love turn in to passing time
now past the point of no return, no reason, no rhyme
it cracked, it crumbled, it resisted repair
it teetered, it tumbled, for the lack of a little care"

Some outstanding lines... Loved it.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I am certainly one of the newer members of the forum, and I like your "other side".
A lot!
Beautiful song, and great work from all involved.

One thing I noticed, but it could be a personal preference: When both are positioned in the center, Floyd for the main vocals and Janice for the harmonies works better.
I think Janice's voice as main vocals is too strong to have both of you in the center.
I'd double Floyd (more precisely: his take grin ) and pan him LR.

Howdy, glad you like it! Thanks for listening.

Janice is singing lead (all the way through) and floyd is singing third below accent harmony parts (all the way through). Panning wise Janice's lead is dead center and floyd's harmony is panned slightly to the left away from the cello on the right. I never center or double harmony. FWIW and IMHO doubling a vocal part (or any part) essentially puts it in the center unless you change the processing on one of them. Guess it's my decades long and perhaps stubborn approach to mixing a song to sound as though it could be performed live. smile

Janice & Bud aka ole skool ole guy

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
FWIW and IMHO doubling a part essentially puts it in the middle unless you change the processing on one of them.

All good!
Just have him sing another take grin
(BTW, 30 - 40 ms delay on one side does the job, but of course not as good as a second take would)

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
FWIW and IMHO doubling a part essentially puts it in the middle unless you change the processing on one of them.

All good!
Just have him sing another take grin
(BTW, 30 - 40 ms delay on one side does the job, but of course not as good as a second take would)

Man, for better or worse we stuck the proverbial fork in these vocal tracks 8 years ago! On to the new smile
I do appreciate your thoughts. And yes if you want to double the track delay and even a slight formant change can work for sure.

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm listening with decent headphones so can mark the elements in the soundstage well.
Yep, I can hear Floyd to the left and the cello a little bit wider on the other side.
I don't hear an issue as Janice's voice has the top end and sits forward of Floyd while the instruments keep a respectful distance.
Lovely song, lovely presentation.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
J&B and Floyd:

Really nice . . . that acoustic guitar falls so softly on the ears and sets up Janice’s sweet vocal. Nice harmonies throughout. Good write. Like that fiddle an awful lot. Excellent production and arrangement. Nice touch with the banjo. Top stuff . . . good luck with it!

All my best you folk,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Floyd,

This is an amazing write... Janice delivers the vocal so beautifully. Floyd's vocal is a perfect compliment.

The new mix truly makes it a brand new song. A really superb production.

"Something that once passed for love turn in to passing time
now past the point of no return, no reason, no rhyme
it cracked, it crumbled, it resisted repair
it teetered, it tumbled, for the lack of a little care"

Some outstanding lines... Loved it.

Bob

Thank you Bob. We love your writes so your comments mean a lot to us.

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I recall that song from a ways back.

I like this acoustic remix a lot. Nice work.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
J&B and Floyd...you guys make a great writing, producing and mastering team...first off Floyd's lyrics are always great and his melodies are top-notch...I love the track especially the fiddle solo (reminds me of the track from Ken Burns Civil War documentary)...Janice your vocal is superb and fits the melody so well...for my two cents worth I would have loved to hear a more dynamic chorus with more variance from the verses...I think a harmony above the lead could help with that...BUT this is one man's opinion and two cents is really all it's worth...you guys are a great team and produce such superb music!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2023, Steinberg Cubase Pro 12, Wavelab 11.1, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Guys,

Good song with a good chorus.

I particularly liked the banjo for a bit of variation in the last verse.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First a new song with Floyd, Janice and Bud, then one with Janice & Bud with Floyd. What a greet start to the day.

Such an excellent mix, Bud. You surround those amazing vocals with such interesting accompaniment, and my listening can concentrate on any one of them at any time.

Such a good write. Way to go, Kollab Kids.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm listening with decent headphones so can mark the elements in the soundstage well.
Yep, I can hear Floyd to the left and the cello a little bit wider on the other side.
I don't hear an issue as Janice's voice has the top end and sits forward of Floyd while the instruments keep a respectful distance.
Lovely song, lovely presentation.

Thank you Ray! It was a fun revisit.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely song. What a beautiful collaboration. Violin was so nice with your voice Janice. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Beautiful. I agree with Bob (rsdean), the lines he highlights are stunning. The whole production is great, though. Janice, her usual high standard. Floyd: ditto, beautiful, unobtrusive harmonies. Slick, professional job, on the production/mastering side - not that I'm an expert in that, but there we are smile Well done!

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great lyrics, production and performances, use of real tracks. The mixes clean and professional

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Janice, Floyd and Bud
Very impressive song
The melody is brought out so beautifully by Janice and the background track
This is really very well done
And that it sounds so good then makes it perfect
Great collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey I really like this!

I love this style of music and you do it so well.

Very earthy and real.

Great lyrics, vocals and production. Nice!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You all are so talented it is scary!
Super write!
"dark clouds moving in while you are moving out" what a great line!
The acoustic backing band fits perfectly with the vocals.
Outstanding mix.
Loved it

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,534
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200