Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Let's say you have a piece of sheet music or TAB with it's associated audio file. And you want to practice this song on your instrument at a slower tempo. But to help in the practicing you want the bar numbering displayed in your DAW (Studio One for me) and the bar numbering of the sheet music to agree.

I searched for how to do this but came up empty so this morning I worked out the procedure myself and captured it in a PDF How-To document. In the spirit of giving back to this forum (many have helped me here on various subjects), PM me if you would like a copy.

I'm guessing the steps should be similar if you have a different DAW.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
?? Bar number's don't change due to tempo changes?? 12 bar blues is 12 bars no matter how fast or slow you play it. confused

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you have sheet music, bar 17 is bar 17 all the time no matter what the tempo is. I have no idea what you are really asking here. If you have music, read the music off the sheet. Adding a DAW to this equation is making it harder. The BEST way to practice is to play with a metronome and not play with a band track. Remember, when you hear a band track while you practice your mind tricks you into thinking you are Charlie Mingus when you might be playing like Charlie Chaplin.

I sing GREAT when I sing along with Sinatra records!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
?? Bar number's don't change due to tempo changes?? 12 bar blues is 12 bars no matter how fast or slow you play it. confused

I realize the bar numbers don't change due to tempo changes.
But the bar numbers displayed in your DAW as the audio file is playing can be misaligned with the bar numbers shown in the sheet music.

The notes in bar 12 in your sheet music (the truth) may or may not be the notes being played when the cursor of your DAW passes into bar 12.

One easy way to see this is if the audio file contains a 2 bar count in when the sheet music has no such count in. The DAW as it plays the audio file will tell you that the music starts on bar 3 but the sheet music says the music starts on bar 1.

3-1=2 So you have a discrepancy of 2 bars.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, gotcha. Reaper actually has a offset bar numbering feature which lets you adjust the bar 1 to any number you would want. It does come in handy when BIAB transfers a file over with a 2 bar lead in which is not present in the printed sheet music. I suspect other DAWs would have this.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
If you have sheet music, bar 17 is bar 17 all the time no matter what the tempo is.
Disagree. Bar 17 in the sheet music may or may not be reported as bar 17 by your DAW as the audio file is played.

I have no idea what you are really asking here.
I'm not asking anything. I solved a problem that perplexed me.

Adding a DAW to this equation is making it harder. The BEST way to practice is to play with a metronome and not play with a band track.
Disagree again. I find much value in playing to a backing track. BiaB is particularly useful for this. For me a metronome is too 1 dimensional.

Remember, when you hear a band track while you practice your mind tricks you into thinking you are Charlie Mingus when you might be playing like Charlie Chaplin.
I don't see how.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, gotcha. Reaper actually has a offset bar numbering feature which lets you adjust the bar 1 to any number you would want. It does come in handy when BIAB transfers a file over with a 2 bar lead in which is not present in the printed sheet music. I suspect other DAWs would have this.

Well Jimney Cricket and jumpin bull frogs . . . you do agree!! smile
I re-read my original post and don't see it as confusing, yet confusion emerged.

I can't speak to Reaper. If you reduce the tempo of the audio file by say 20% does Reaper still maintain the correct bar numbering automatically? In Studio One an adjustment needs to be made.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think you will have to do this adjustment in the DAW. I recall seeing one that had a pre-roll setting so Bar 1 could be wherever you wanted it. Most people have a lot of space at the beginning of a DAW file before anything musical happens.

In BIAB, I think you can designate bar one as a lead-in bar; I'll have to look for that. And exporting a song, I think you can prevent exporting the 2-measure filler. But again, I would need to experiment.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
But the bar numbers displayed in your DAW as the audio file is playing can be misaligned with the bar numbers shown in the sheet music.

Again, I don't understand why that affects you playing along with a song. Are you not just reading a chart? A real chart, like dots on stave paper? You listen to a music file, not watch it. You watch the sheet music.

How about a video clip of what the puzzle is? At least a still pic.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think you will have to do this adjustment in the DAW.
Exactly, that is how my brain works. Do the adjustments in the DAW. I suppose it is possible to pencil in changes to the bar numbers on the sheet music but why? In my mind the sheet music is the dog and the DAW is the tail. And the dog wags the tail, not the other way around.

I recall seeing one that had a pre-roll setting so Bar 1 could be wherever you wanted it. Most people have a lot of space at the beginning of a DAW file before anything musical happens.
In Studio One, Bar 1 can be placed anywhere. You can drag the waveform to the right or you can add negative bars and drag to the left. But from what I am observing in S1 if you start with the sheet music and the DAW/audio file initially in sync throughout the whole song and then you change the playback tempo without accounting for the change, then your bar numbers will be out of sync. And I don't want them out of sync.

In BIAB, I think you can designate bar one as a lead-in bar; I'll have to look for that. And exporting a song, I think you can prevent exporting the 2-measure filler. But again, I would need to experiment.
For me, at this time, this is not about forcing BiaB to do anything non-standard. It is about working with my DAW so that under any count-in or tempo situation that the DAW will be aligned such that it's understanding of the numbering agrees with the sheet music. Among other things, if I want to practice Bars 22 - 30 I can place my looping brackets in S1 between Bars 21 - 30 and loop it till the cows come home. As I play thru this range what I hear thru my monitors at any point will be what I am reading at that point and will be what I am playing at that point. So there are 3 separate things that are in sync; the notes on the sheet, the music I hear and the notes under my fingers; no real-time math or mental adjustments needed smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

Again, I don't understand why that affects you playing along with a song.
Hopefully my reply to Matt will help you understand this.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
If you reduce the tempo of the audio file by say 20% does Reaper still maintain the correct bar numbering automatically?

Yes and no, depending on how you configure Reaper in "Project Setting", which allows the bars to be set by Beat or by Time. I generally use "time".

Now that I better understand what you are doing, here are the details about how this is handled in Reaper. Ya, it can be complicated. But it does work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4M4BoYcwPc

This issue goes beyound just setting the starting bar to what ever bar number you like. It has to do with how the project adjusts the "item" during tempo changes.

Or have I just sent us down a rabbit hole?? grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
If you reduce the tempo of the audio file by say 20% does Reaper still maintain the correct bar numbering automatically?

Yes and no, depending on how you configure Reaper in "Project Setting", which allows the bars to be set by Beat or by Time. I generally use "time".

Now that I better understand what you are doing, here are the details about how this is handled in Reaper. Ya, it can be complicated. But it does work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4M4BoYcwPc

This issue goes beyound just setting the starting bar to what ever bar number you like. It has to do with how the project adjusts the "item" during tempo changes.

Or have I just sent us down a rabbit hole?? grin

Hey Dan, no rabbit hole my friend and I do think you're getting it now. I could only watch about half of that video untill my eyes and brain glazed over. I'm not a Reaper user but I gathered that this sort of thing is no slam dunk for us meer mortals smile

That guy (in lightening fashion) flew thru 2 different menus and made at least 3 setting changes in about as many seconds.

And I think you are spot on. This is more than just setting where Bar 1 should be. Maybe that's why I couldn't easily find a similar video dealing with Studio One. All of this gets into how the particular DAW "thinks" about the audio file that it's being asked to operate on. Clearly I'm no S1 expert and I just recently upgraded to ver 6. But there are several configuration settings in any DAW that will force it to think/interpret things in certain ways.

Bottom line for me, is that I figured out how do get the bar numbering to synchronize and because I don't want to re-invent this wheel again I captured the steps based on the default/factory S1 configuration settings. It wasn't easy to arrive at a solution useful to me which is why I'm offering it to whoever wants it.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry about that demo video. I was in a hurry and grabbed it quick. I should have referred you to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eus1hMD_eUo&t=283s

Kenny explains "Track Timebase - Tempo in REAPER". This is actually more simple than it looks. There are only a couple options so you can just try them until you get what you want.

By the way, Kenny Gioia is a Incredible Reaper Resouce. He makes hundreds of these videos to explain every item, detail and feature in Reaper. He updates his videos as new features are added. You can actually contract him for zoom sessions to hold your hand and walk you through sessions if needed.

I can only assume S1 has similar features to permit adjusting timebases as shown in the video. Does S1 have a Kenny?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bass Thumper,

I use Riffstation all the time for this, no longer officially supported but someone has saved it to Dropbox.

It will work out chords reasonably well, change pitch, loop and slow down.
Here is the link I just browsed to, but do a virus scan as always after the download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz64w4f2so85m3x/Riffstation.zip?dl=0

For an android phone I use an app called Music Speed Changer (classic) does much the same thing but won't do bars or detect chords.

Last edited by musiclover; 05/23/23 05:34 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The math involved is why I wrote Music Calc .. if you ever need to do it manually.
Music math ..

Last edited by rharv; 05/23/23 12:57 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
From Google’s BARD

The bar offset setting for files being inputted in Studio One is located in the Project Setup dialog box. To access this dialog box, follow these steps:

Click on the Project menu and select Project Setup.
In the Project Setup dialog box, click on the Audio tab.
In the Audio tab, scroll down to the Bar Offset section.
Enter the desired bar offset in the Bar Offset field.
Click on the OK button to close the Project Setup dialog box.
The bar offset setting will be applied to all audio files that are imported into the project after the setting is changed.

Here are some additional details about the bar offset setting:

The bar offset setting can be used to offset the start of audio files by a specified number of bars.
The bar offset setting can be used to create a gap between the start of an audio file and the start of the project.
The bar offset setting can be used to sync audio files to a video track.
Here are some examples of how the bar offset setting can be used:

You can use the bar offset setting to create a gap between the start of an audio file and the start of the project. This can be useful if you want to add a count-in to the audio file or if you want to create a space for intro music.
You can use the bar offset setting to sync audio files to a video track. This can be useful if you are working on a project that includes both audio and video.

Last edited by pghboemike; 05/24/23 02:43 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Would it work if you set the tempo of the DAW to the tempo of the new song before you imported it? Seems like a whole lot of work and math to import to a blank template set to 120 (which seems to be DAW default) when your song is 104 and then fiddle-fart around with the math trying to line it up.

Because as we all know

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195