Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Third song in a week. Argh. Sorry - "inspiration" seems to have struck a number of times, with me, this week - and I'm curious to hear what you genuinely think of this one, so ... thank you so much for listening, for any feedback, and especially for your patience with me.

When One Loves A Rose

EDIT: following your truly kind advice, I have remixed the song. Is this better? Feedback welcome - thank you!

When One Loves A Rose (Take 2)

SECOND EDIT: David Cuny very kindly re-mixed this for me, with Synthetizer V's Eleanor Forte and Kevin voices. I put this link in a separate post ... maybe I should have put this here, in the first place. Sorry. Anyway, for convenience, here it now is ... thank you, David!

When One Loves A Rose (mix by David Cuny)

THIRD EDIT: I dared to mess around with David's mix, a little, tonight ... I made a couple of changes, mainly in volume contrast. I hope you like this, and, hopefully, that David won't mind me tinkering a little more with his mix? See what you think? smile Thanks smile

When One Loves A Rose (4th and final remix?)

P.S. I made a video for it, too - today, 29 May 2023 smile Hope you enjoy.

THE LYRICS:

(DUET)

And that's how it goes
In this world of woes,
When one softly knows
That one loves a rose.

(MALE VOICE)

For he doesn't understand
Just how much she loves him,
And he doesn't understand
Just how bad she wants him,

And he doesn't understand
Why she's been so harsh to him,
So he walks away, once more
From his loved one's open door ...

By the fountain where they met
He is there on odd days,
Mondays, Wednesdays and the Fridays,
That is where he will stay,

And on Sundays, he goes home,
And he lets his eyes pour
Tears, awaiting the return
Of a flame that's no more.

(DUET)

And that's how it goes
In this world of woes,
When one softly knows
That one loves a rose.

(FEMALE VOICE)

For she doesn't understand
Just how much he loves her,
And she doesn't understand
Just how bad he wants her,

And she doesn't understand
Why he's been so harsh to her,
So she walks away, once more
From her loved one's open door ...

By the fountain where they met
She is there on even days,
Tuesdays, Thursdays and the Saturdays,
That is where she will stay,

And on Sundays, she goes home,
And she lets her eyes pour
Tears, awaiting the return
Of a flame that's no more.

(DUET)

And that's how it goes
In this world of woes,
When one softly knows
That one loves a rose.

THE SOLOISTS:

Lucy and Jay (from Emvoice)

THE BAND:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: When One Loves A Rose - 23 May 2023
File:When One Loves A Rose - 23 May 2023.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 60, Length (m:s)=3:16
No intro. 45 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 45. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _LILIES.STY (Lilies Nylon New Age Pop Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 2702:Bass, Synth, CloudRapSub Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 3910:Guitar, Nylon, Fingerpicking SongwriterSlow16DADGAD Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 1840:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveMellow Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 2704:Synth, Rhythm CloudRapLowOrgan Ev16 075
RealDrums in style:Cajon and Chillout Loop [Multi]

Mixed in Mixcraft Pro Studio 9

Last edited by musician17; 05/28/23 09:55 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,

A pleasant song.
Backing track is nice.
Cool to see you trying out the synth voices.
Jay sounds pretty good. Lucy sounded like a computer.
When they sing together, it sounds more like some "modern" effect on a single voice than two voice doing a duet...

Looking forward to where you go with this...

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James ...

I've downloaded the free version of Synthesizer V, but haven't figured out much yet. You have a good foundation to work from. Floyd pretty much summed up the vocal qualities of the voices. Good first effort with the synth voices. Keep at it, and I'm sure your skills with it will improve with each attempt. Kudos for putting it "out there" for the feedback. Hang in there with it and show it who's boss!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James, I also agree with Floyd's vocal comments.

But this is a really good start.
Super groove.
Nice mic.

I'm sure you will get much better with those synth vocals as you gain experience.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My genuine thoughts? wink

Musically, the song is pretty good. There are some notes that much too short. Robots can sing the notes, but they don't sound like what a human sound sing.

The vocals? When the voices sing together, it's bad.

The synthesis sounds like 1990s formant synthesis. Jay, the male voice, isn't "real", but it's pleasant to listen to. Not at all convincing, but it gets the idea of the song across without drawing too much attention to itself.

On the other hand, Lucy, the female voice, sounds like Jay pitched up an octave with some formants shifted. It's doesn't sound even remotely human, it's distracting to listen to, and worse, it's hard to make out what's being said.

It's not any fault on your part. I just listened to demos that Emvoice posted of their singers, and although you can hear the character of the person behind them, the vocoder that Emvoice is using simply isn't capable of rendering the female voice realistically.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, everyone smile Yes, David Cuny, I asked for genuine thoughts, and I'm glad I got them wink Just a couple of things I'd like to add, if that's ok:

1) I didn't "treat" the voices with any post-production effect at all, in an attempt to make them sound more "human", perhaps. I just put them to work "as they came", out of the box. That's my mistake. That female voice, as you say, needs humanizing, lol. I will see what I can do - though, knowing nothing about post-production, I am mostly "doing it by ear". I will try, though smile

2) Thank you for giving me honest opinions on the technical aspects of things. My knowledge of those things is zero. I just write songs, that's all ... how they are performed, I often leave that "up to the performer", as it were. HOWEVER: I have indeed noticed that, if I do learn about how things can be worked on, from a post-production standpoint, they can truly improve the end result of the recording, so that it sounds less like an amateurish, perhaps, "demo" - and more towards the professional end of things. Again, I'm only a songwriter, that's all - but your advice has been invaluable in making my little demos more palatable to the human ear smile - so you all have my most grateful thanks, for this!!! smile

and finally, a question:

3) Where would you think I can get some better-sounding vocaloids? I've got absolutely no money to spend on something like this, right now, but - if that changes in the near future, why not? I only bought Emvoice, last December, because they were on sale - and I thought that two English-singing vocaloid voices is better than nothing at all. So yes, just out of curiosity, if possible: what would you recommend instead? smile

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Without your advice, coupled with PG Music's miraculous Band-in-a-Box software, none of this would be real.

P.S.

4) Thank you also for the kind musical thoughts, on this. As I wrote, above: since I like to focus a lot on the songwriting side of things, these thoughts of yours really do help in making me a better songwriter smile Please, please, keep them coming!!! smile

and

5) thanks for your incredible patience in putting up with me and my songs smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
That female voice, as you say, needs humanizing, lol. I will see what I can do - though, knowing nothing about post-production, I am mostly "doing it by ear". I will try, though

This isn't something that can be fixed in post production. No matter how much EQ or reverb you might apply to the vocal, it's still going to sound robotic.

If the vocal were sung at a lower pitch, it wouldn't be as bad, but it would still be very robotic. Emvoice simply can't do realistic vocals. They sound like they're coming through a vocoder because... well, they are using a vocoder. It's just not one capable of creating realistic female vocals, and the higher the vocals go in pitch, the less good they sound.

Originally Posted By: musician17
3) Where would you think I can get some better-sounding vocaloids? I've got absolutely no money to spend on something like this, right now, but - if that changes in the near future, why not? I only bought Emvoice, last December, because they were on sale - and I thought that two English-singing vocaloid voices is better than nothing at all. So yes, just out of curiosity, if possible: what would you recommend instead?

At the risk of breaking the "no advertising other products" rule, the best synthetic singing software on the market is SynthesizerV by Dreamtonics. That's obviously subject to change as time goes on.

Since money is an issue, I'd suggest using the free Basic editor and the lite version of Eleanor Forte and Solaria (scroll down the page to find it). These free voices have restrictions and are for non-commercial use only, but should be fine for your purposes of making demos. There are currently no Lite male English voices, but you can use the Gender option on a female voice to morph it to a male voice.

The Lite voices aren't going to fool anyone into thinking they're listening to a real human, but they'll still be far better than Lucy.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you so much, David!!! Will check these voices, and the editor, now. What an amazing forum this is, where people so kindly help one another in their common quest to create better music. Thanks everyone, again!!! smile

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Just remixed it all. See what you think? Thanks!!! (link at the top of the page - Take 2 version).

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James.

The vocals at the very beginning now sound even more synthetic and harder to recognize as vocals.

I've got mixed feelings about the reverb - in some cases, it makes the consonants harder to hear.

On the other hand, there are places where the /s/ is more clear than where it was before.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Fair enough smile

For the record, I kind of WANT those beginning vocals to be more synthetic. They represent Destiny ("that's how it goes", etc.) versus the (doomed) Love Story that the solo voices sing about - and which I'd therefore prefer to be more "human" in timbre. That said, that beginning must not be SO synthetic that the words cannot be understood ... argh smile Back to the drawing board? smile

Thanks, David!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds cool James!

Sounds like everyone is getting in on the synth voice act now.

smile

Hmmmmmmmmm.......

I have to say...well, I think I am the biggest fan of the real James to tell you the truth.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Haha, thanks David Snyder ... but, seriously, could you ever (even as such a big fan of mine wink ) hear me hit any sort of a high note? I still struggle singing in my one-octave register, lol ... whereas you can now hit high Bs, as I've heard from your superb, latest song ... but THANK YOU for the kind words! I promise: wherever possible, I shall use my own voice to sing/speak/whatever, when recording smile Thanks again smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Def. too many clustered notes in the melody and that reinforces the synthetics.
Larger intervals do the same.It's a great start though and a good song to start with.
Consider working the voices to match your own range or mine - within an octave and with smaller intervals.
GREAT potential sir.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
3rd ONE!! Sheesh, I must've missed some-- gotta check. Had good excuse though because I have a lot of your music playing in the background here. Inspirational.

I listened to this one without reading first. I actually thought that was you singing. I sounds a bit like you, but the range is way over the top. It's really cool that you're exploring the synth voices, and there a some good advice in that regard on this forum. I agree that Lucy sounded rather computerized, but Jay sounded like you, so that's good. I still like your speaking vocals, but this is an interesting diversion and I hope to hear more as you develop it.

This is a good song. It's till in my ears when it's over, so I know it's good. Well done, James. And now I have some catching up to do.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool tune and ditto on the Synth V recommendation. The whole secret, if there is a secret, is to take your time and work on the details. Which is pretty much like everything else you want to do and do well.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ray: David Cuny's remix, I believe, addresses some of the range and note congestions concerns ... thanks for pointing them out, Ray! Glad you liked the song!

Marty: Haha - no worries about catching up smile Glad you liked the song. I have work to do, with the synths, myself - but David Cuny has done a superb re-mix For me smile Thanks!!!

Guitarhacker: Yep. Detail. Spot on. I entirely overlooked the need for post-production work, the first time around. Anyhow, David Cuny's saved me, this time, with his new mix, but yes ... next time, I mustn't be "napping on the job", haha. Thanks!!!

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
David Cuny: ever so sorry. I decided to fiddle a little with your mix - I hope you won't mind? smile See what you think? smile THANKS smile

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Also added a YouTube video, now ... argh ... smile Thanks for any views/listens and further comments smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James.

It's your song to do with what you want. smile

It was a fun project. I haven't really done anything so "musical theatre" before, and I think the result makes it easier for people to hear what the song could be.

For vocals, obviously real vocals are going to be far beyond what synthetic vocals can give. But I suspect that even the female vocals using the free version of SynthV will give a better presentation that Emvoice will. There are currently no free English male voices for SynthV, but there apparently will be a "lite" version of "Asterian" voice in the near future.

As for the mix... every mix has specific goals. For mine, I wanted to create a sense of movement while still keeping the original instrumentation. That mostly involved using gain faders and some low-level edits on the drums.

The rest of it - the balance between the instruments, how much and what sort of effects to use - is subjective. You've heard my suggestions. On another day, I might make different choices.

Thanks for letting me work on this!

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195