Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, it did shock me!

I read this online from

https://om.co/2023/05/27/the-number-of-songs-uploaded-every-day-will-shock-you/#:~:text=That's%20120%2C000%20new%20tracks%20every,that%20tracks%20music%20industry%20data.

"Did you know that 10.08 million new tracks were uploaded to online music streaming services in the first three months of 2023? That’s 120,000 new tracks every day, according to estimates from Nashville-based Luminate, a company that tracks music industry data."

I have no idea how accurate this number is, but I do know a massive amount of AI-generated music is being released. Luminate has an address in LA at
5670 Wilshire Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Nashville based? Perhaps they have an office there also.
It at least seems to be a legit data company.

We are fortunate here on the user showcase that ten people may have responded to one of the songs we posted early this morning. By the end of the day, 119,999 other songs got posted to the likes of SoundCloud and all the rest...lol

Having others listen to one of our songs in this sea of sound must be a little like floating around in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, hoping to be discovered by a passing ship...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I read something very similar. Assuming that 99% of those are between crap to good on the scale.... That leaves 1% that are well written and top quality works of musical art. That is 1000 outstanding songs across all genres. That's still some pretty tough competition in the business.

But no one ever won the marathon by sitting on the bench.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And in that ocean we are pleased on Spotify to now average 1000+ plays a month. That number is minuscule compared to many other “small time” artists but, hey, at least we know folks beyond family and friends like what we do. Our plays come primarily from placement on several popular Spotify “member playlists.” The winning lotto ticket is placement on one of Spotify’s Editorial Playlists. That will get you tens if not hundreds of thousands of streams. And to Billy’s point those upload numbers hugely reduce the chance of placement on an Editorial Playlist. Spotify must have an army of curators to handle that. There are 80,000,000 songs on Spotify. Our ocean smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
<...snip...>
"Did you know that 10.08 million new tracks were uploaded to online music streaming services in the first three months of 2023? That’s 120,000 new tracks every day, according to estimates from Nashville-based Luminate, a company that tracks music industry data."<...>

That's the new problem with getting your original music heard.

It used to be you sent demos to the gatekeepers (record labels) and 99% got rejected there.

Now, nobody gets rejected, but there are zillions of others out there. How do you get yours noticed? Discovered? Found?

In the past, if you didn't get rejected by the label, the record company did the promotion (and took the price out of your royalties). So in today's world, you must do your own promotion, or hire someone to do it for you.

Doing your own promotion is definitely time-consuming, and takes away from the available hours you could spend creating and polishing new music. If you don't have a lot of money, hiring a promotion company is out of the question.

If you started early enough, before so many others were on the 'net, you could have built up a following. Great if you did!

Today, you can still build up that following, of course it's a slow way to go, but the problem is getting noticed by the people who might like your music in the first place.

I'm glad I chose to be a performer, rather than a creator. I'm still gigging 15-20 times a month, and have been for most of my adult life.

I'd like to be a creator too, but to tell the truth, I stink as a songwriter. All the lyrics I write seem too trite and hackneyed. I'm good and arranging, creating BiaB styles, making backing tracks, singing, and playing saxophone, wind synth, bass, drums, guitar, flute, and keyboard synths. It's a good way to make a living.

Good luck to those trying to break into it, and congratulations to Janice and Bud for making your mark.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am not "shocked" by the difficulty of having your original music acquired by anyone. That has always been difficult. It is certainly possible, as in the case of Janice, Bud, and thousands of others. Music is everywhere, and none of it is for free.

There are people buying music every day of the week.

What is shocking are the total numbers. I guess with the world population approaching eight billion, that should not be surprising.

There are all sorts of strange questions to ask. How much electricity is consumed in producing the 80,000,000 songs Bud alluded to?...lol

How many of the 80,000,000 were produced by AI, BIAB, for hire studios, both pro and otherwise?

Other stuff I read

"As of 2022, there are approximately 82 million songs according to Spotify, 200 million songs according to Gracenote, and between 97 million to 230 million according to Google."

I guess in the scheme of things, 80 million is not so much. Even if it costs $10 each to produce, that is less than a billion dollars. Even if it is 100 billion. One hundred billion is not a material amount of money basses on the five trillion that gets spent every day worldwide.

The implications of eight billion people are mind-boggling. Three hundred sixty-nine million gallons of gasoline are used only in the United States every day! That is about 1.5 billion dollars spent per day!

We be using up some stuff...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We all know what the two most prominate topics/content on the World Wide Web are! Music is certainly number two on that list, so these numbers are no surprize. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Bob. Be a performer rather than a creator.

I still make a little money from my CD, and I was well established at the very beginning of the public Internet (having written websites for myself, a college and two libraries that were all the first in the region) but I could not see making any kind of living now as a composer. I have a friend who leads a big band just north of New York City. He has amazing, well-known players, and writes fabulous music for them. Without his day teaching/prof work, someone like that could not exist.

Even as a performer, it’s tough to sell new music. Would a jazz festival take a chance on me, or would they rather hire famous blues and rock bands from the 70s? When I could have made music for a living, I looked at colleagues and decided not to. Music for me, even at a pro level, is just fun now. I’d rather write music for students or a community big band or orchestra, than attend one of those so-called jazz festivals.

BIAB has been with me through half of my six decades performing. Definitely the better half.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I also wonder about the characteristics of what makes songs popular or "hits" in this modern music environment.

I attribute a lot of it has to do with the arrangements and production aspects of songs. When I think of a song like "Billie Jean"... Was it made a super hit song simply because Michael Jackson recorded and showcased it? Probably so, but that song arrangement has been analyzed in several UTube videos, especially the focus on the bass line arrangement.

When you have skilled musicians, arrangers, producers working on a song, how much does that increase the odds of the song becoming a hit? Let's say 50% better odds. Then add a star performer to sing/play it? I'm thinking that combo would raise the odds to 80%+ of being a major hit.

So of those hundreds of thousands of songs uploaded to the Internet which may never get played or heard by more than a few souls, there may well be hundred of future hits in the making if the right team of arrangers, producers, and performers are given a mission to do so.

I envision some TV program that has such a team of experts taking a random song from the web (or selectively submitted) and given the task of enhancing that song and giving the song some mass market exposure. Would be fun to see if songs can be transformed into hits with the "right" pieces and parts working on it.

Cz...
BIAB,Bandlab Cakewalk,Kontakt, Cantabile, SampleTank4,IK BX-3, VB3, iZotope Suite, IK TRacks, Melodyne Studio
Kurzweil PC4SE, AXIOM-61key & IKiRigPro-32key boards, Roland SD-50 MIDI, Behringer 404HD, Maschine MK3,TC Helicon Voiceworks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NOLAGuy
I also wonder about the characteristics of what makes songs popular or "hits" in this modern music environment.

Would be fun to see if songs can be transformed into hits with the "right" pieces and parts working on it.

With that in mind check this out. Will the videos have an impact?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I agree with Bob. Be a performer rather than a creator…

Glad that works for you indeed! Then there’s the old adage that all things are contextual. I played in bands for many years along with Janice for several years. We played large festivals, clubs, businesses, etc. But I hugely more enjoy music production (now and then) as, I suppose, it seems less transient. And Janice and I both were working full time in the mental health field during the bulk of our gigging years before retiring in ‘99. Three nights in a club or a weekend festival took its toll. Even after retirement we both enjoyed recording or playing in the living room more than gigs. I had recorded since the mid 60’s so the advent of digital home studios and BiaB introduced us to a thoroughly enjoyable world. Even if we are but a speck in that ocean of creators.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For context, remember that every inner city kid with a laptop who knows how to make an 8 bar loop in a minor key and recite badly written, angry, racist, sexist poetry is a "creator" and a "producer". Those are all considered in that total of uploads. I'll never leave that "old school" camp of opinion that if you aren't on the mainstream radio in my car that you aren't a prime time player and I don't consider you to be viable. And by that definition, I am less than gum on the bottom of the shoes of the viable players.

I want to tour. On the big bus. I want to play. In bigger rooms. Like 2500-3000 seat rooms. I have had that opportunity 3 times in my life, but it wasn't "me". It was the bands I happened to be a side player in.

The last time was in 2020. And now that I have finally conceded that due to age and physical condition, that would be the last time it could happen. As bad as Herbstock beat me up, and that was just that one time, I now admit defeat.

To me, THIS is a gig. (The Akron Civic Theater.) Anything less than this is just pretending that I am good enough. I am not about to lower myself to playing garbage music in front of people who wouldn't know good if they sat in it. It took me years to admit that I washed out in music. My music will never be on Spotify, iTunes, or any of them. It's not good enough. I'M not good enough. And I'd rather not pretend.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/31/23 08:30 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am confused.

I agree with Bob. Be a performer rather than a creator. (snip snip snip) I’d rather write music for students or a community big band or orchestra, than attend one of those so-called jazz festivals.

Did you mean YOU would rather be a performer? Because that second part of the quote is 180 opposed.

Your band, at least what I hear on your CD, should get calls to be at least band 2 of a 5 band card, if not 3. You are not rookies and you play a genre that will always be popular.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/31/23 08:36 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eddie. That might be caused by the snip. But to be clearer, I do perform now, but I enjoy writing more. I was always the headliner when I played, mostly because I played for educational purposes and got grant funding. The rest of the band grew old and grumpy after 32 years together.

Any concerts or recording that I do now is to enhance other people's performances. While they pay me nicely, I could not recommend anyone go into the music business now doing what I do.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I thought I read it right...

Anymore, I would personally rather write the next killer tune and live on what comes to my mailbox than schlep gear around. I will likely take my dream of hearing ONE of my songs performed by someone real to the grave with me. Like many (if not most) players my age I was dead set on being the band that made people forget The Beatles. I wrote and wrote and wrote REALLY bad songs just waiting to turn out ONE good one.

And I'm still waiting.

But I could take all of those really crappy songs and upload them somewhere and delude myself into thinking I am real.

Much like I could still think I am a handsome studly lady killer dude!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hear you, Eddie. Except maybe for the lady killer part.

My guitarist was on hold with Verizon one day. He heard a guitar soloing during the on-hold music. He thought, that cat is pretty good. Then he thought, that cat copped some of my licks! Then he realized, that's me!

It was my CD playing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It was my CD playing.

Mailbox Money!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I still like playing live in a situation where I know the players and the music we are playing. It is becoming more difficult by the month due to old age and health issues.

Going to a studio to record something with people you like is still a lot of fun.

I am certainly not going to move anything heavy. There are plenty of young guys to move all those heavy guitar amps around. Many of us have stopped playing through the likes of Fender Twins unless they were provided by a backline company or were in the studio.

I decided a very long time ago that I wanted to make money a lot more than I wanted to play music. I also knew I was not willing to put in the time and effort to be a competent musician. Making a good living gave me to resources to indulge in the music world.

I have sold a few musical creations I, along with some really good musicians, created. But, none of that was ever a material amount of money.

It is a good thing that some here have been able to make some money and get some recognition for their efforts. I like listening to Matt and to Bud and Janice. I hope they make a zillion dollars.

I can not imagine trying to live on what someone just out of a major music school is generally paid in today's world.

There was a time in the United States when the average person could survive on what they made playing in a club. That is almost impossible to do now.

A skilled musician playing in a symphony earns somewhere in the range of 30K to 80k. That is not a very well-paying job at a time when cheap new houses cost 300K.

To get back to the thread, my surprise is just with the volume of music being produced. The numbers are huge.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, as you said, the numbers are huge. Most interesting. And with AI, the numbers will only get larger and make it more difficult to stand out.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
A skilled musician playing in a symphony earns somewhere in the range of 30K to 80k. That is not a very well-paying job at a time when cheap new houses cost 300K.

Even more, Billy. From the infrawebz...

How much do The Cleveland Orchestra employees earn on average?

The Cleveland Orchestra pays an average salary of $147,514 and salaries range from a low of $126,019 to a high of $170,231. Individual salaries will, of course, vary depending on the job, department, location, as well as the individual skills and education of each employee.

Not a bad way to make a Bach!

But they also have a waiting Liszt.

(One more? Okay!)

Wouldn't it be great to Ravel in that kind fame?

(Bonus round.) I'd get my Rachmanins-off every performance!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am glad to hear that, Eddie. 150K should be the minimum wage. The skill needed to play in The Cleveland Orchestra requires a substantial amount of work and education. They deserve all they can get.

The good thing about living in Cleveland is a good bit lower median new house prices from realtor.com. 130K for a new house?

Many of us here on this forum are old enough that all these uploads don't affect us much.

I feel for the kids coming up who will have a substantially more difficult time pursuing making music for a living. These young people are doing what they can to beat to odds. They use stuff like TicTok to get exposure, and some get known on youtube.

These guys just work really hard at it. The year before the pandemic, a band of three young guys was doing well around Miami playing live gigs. All could sing very well, and all played drums, bass, keyboards, and guitar and switched off in the shows. I sat in with them from time to time. I never had any interest in the money, but they made six or seven hundred just in tips regularly, plus what they got paid.
Yes, of course, they had day jobs, except for the drummer, who played in several bands. The drummer was a bit older and had played professionally all his life. He had all the contacts he needed to stay busy. Well...enough of this, Eddie, see you in the funny papers...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195