Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have searched the forum but cant find the exact answer to this so sorry if its been asked before

I use BinaB Ultrapakplus 2010.5 to create backing tracks for both myself on Tenor Sax and sometimes a small group--Tenor, Soprano, Clarinet, Trumpet--all Bb.

I use Fake Books to get the melody lines and chords--I always buy the version for Bb--Just got the Hal Leonard 600+ Jazz Standards

The thing is that I always assumed that the chords shown in these books are in Concert so that say a piano can play the chords as written as backing for Bb instruments

That being the case I leave the key sig in BinaB at C and then enter the chords--It doesnt work--I have to get BinaB to transpose the chord sheet to Bb to get everything in tune--the thing is though that we then seem to get a odd chord sequence on the screen to solo over--musical experts we are NOT so it might just be us--but why call it a Bb Fake Book if the chords are not correct for Bb instruments in the 1st place

My question is this

If I set the key symbol to Bb in BinaB before entering the chords does BinaB actually play them in C but we get the right chord sequence to solo over on the screen

As an aside can we set a soloist to only play in certain bars in ceratin choruses to give us the option to put a piano or guitar solo in our songs

Tx

Phil

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ooops

Have found the answer to the second question about adding soloists, already on this forum--sorry

Phil

Veteran
Veteran
Fakebooks are written so that all instruments who read that particular fakebook can play the tune together, each reading the fakebook of the correct pitch for that instrument.

For example, if the Bb fakebook has an F chord written, or the note of F, then the C fakebook will have an Eb written.

Normally, one would enter songs into BIAB by reading the C fakebook. However, since you bought a Bb fakebook, do this:

1. Select the correct key signature for the tune as written in the Bb fakebook.

2. Enter the tune as written in the Bb fakebook.

3. Change the key signature one full step (or two-half-steps) lower (examples: E goes to D; Eb goes to Db) and say Yes to the question, OK to transpose worksheet.

4. The piano, guitar, and any other non-transposing instrument will play the song this way if you print it.

5. Now, to see it as a Bb instrument wants it, go to Opt, Preferences, Notation. In the pulldown for Transposition Options, select Clarinet +2.

6. Now you will hear the song in the correct key for piano etc. but see it in the correct key for a Bb instrument.

7. The transposition preference in BIAB is not saved with the song, so remember to go back after saving the song and set it to Concert pitch. It's also a good idea to save the song in a separate folder, or give it a different name such as Mysong Bb, so that you know that it was intended to be played with a transposition in effect. Otherwise, someday you will load that song, print it for a pianist, and get a surprise when it's played in the 'wrong' key. When you load a song, there is a brief yellow box flashing in the upper left corner to warn you a transposition is in effect.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Matt

Thanks for that--pretty sure I understand it

I will give it a try

Regards

Phil

Journeyman
Journeyman
Matt,
This is a complicated subject for beginners and you helped explain how it works very well. I ran into this problem when I got into big band music and to my surprise, many of the big band musicians can’t give a clear answer. I asked one if they knew the key they played in and the answer was no. They just play the sheet music in front of them that is for their instrument and leave the rest to the conductor. Thanks again…

Harold Buckelew WB2CGG Visit my Web Site www.theimperialmusiccenter.com HP Pavilion a6110n PC. BIAB 2011. In God We Trust
Veteran
Veteran
Harold and Phil, you are very welcome.

Harold, your post reminds me that, in order to follow the method I described, one 'should' know how to determine what key a song is in, and that's a different topic. I just wanted to make it clear that, even if someone did not know, you could still do the steps I laid out. Just pick something arbitrary, like one of my examples.

The reason for entering the key signature into BIAB before your enter a song, is that the program guesses the accidentals much more accurately. Example: if you are in the key of C and use the mouse to place a note of F, you will see F natural. But if you have set the key to D and place that same F, BIAB will make it F#. This intelligence is a great time saver.

Also, for anyone reading this, transposing isn't hard. For example, since a Bb instrument (all the ones Phil mentioned) is pitched one full step below a C instrument (like piano or guitar), you must raise the notes one full step higher to compensate. [Tenor sax,technically an octave and a full step.] Anyone playing a Bb instrument should also learn to read music in concert pitch so they can play from a part written for piano, guitar etc. Just play a note one full step higher than what is written.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Matt gave a good explanation on how to do what you want. I made the same mistake with my Bb fake book at first. Wap! (sound of hand heel hitting my forehead). I should have known that from my Aebersole books that have parts for different instruments. I aske myself why the chords in the Bb book would be different from the C book. Then, it was, "Oh yeah, what if you are improvising. Duh!" If I can, I always buy the "C" fakebooks and Bb fakebooks. This is because my wife plays flute and I have to do all of the arranging, printing, etc. stuff. She always wants the melody entered and raised up an octave. I do that and then print her part out. Then I just go to Edit and click Undo Transpose. Let's say it's in the key of F for a C instrument using Matt's example. That would make it the key of G for a Bb instrument. So, I just click transpose to G and then print out my part (making sure that it's down an octave from the flute). Then it's back to Edit to Undo Transpose. Then I save the song which will be in a concert key. The BIAB notation printouts are way better than the fakebooks and even Sibelius, IMHO. Of course I'm an old guy who likes larger and clear print, too.

If there's a fakebook disk available from Bob "Notes" Norton (Google for his website), I always buy it. He has the chords and styles for the various FB tunes already done as BIAB songs. Even though I may want to add an intro and do a little tweaking, Norton's FB disks have saved me a lot of time. Of course, sometimes you can find the midi song you want on the web somewhere to do what you need to do with it in either real band or biab. If you don't have a wife who wants the melody entered, you are good to go.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others with more knowledge than me will chime in if need be. I have learned a lot from the kind and knowledgeable folks on these forums.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Guys

Actually this has raised a few things I didnt previously think about in BinaB

I now see that the key sig in BinaB is a great tool for entering acidentals in a melody line automatically when composing a tune depending on the key you choose--to answer a previous point we do know the key sig by the number of # or b at the beggining--we know the simple 2 or 3, # or b and if its more we cheat and use the circle of fifths

Its not really applicable to us yet as I dont use BinaB for composing but only for playing backing tracks, mostly piano ,bass and drums.--We might have a go at composing later so well worth knowing

As we are all playing Bb instruments we just photocopy the melody line from the Fake Book, so dont print melody sheets--mind you we are thinking of inviting an Alto player so will need the melody line transposing to Eb--If I manually enter the Bb melody line into BinaB I assume I can get it to transpose to Eb for me--that sounds like a lot of effort so I'll probably just do it by hand--pity I cant scan a melody line in

To be honest though, that still doesnt explain to my thick brain why the chords shown above the Bb Fake Book are not simply in C

Chords are usually played by a rhythm section, Piano, Bass, Guitar etc which are all C instruments so if everyone wanted to play from the same sheet then they would want the chords in C---Although of course that would of course mean the the Bb player would have to transpose to get the right chords to solo over

If in fact the chords in the Bb Fake Book are already in Bb to make it easy for the Bb player to solo over then shouldnt we load the chords into BinaB with the key sig set to Bb and then get BinaB to raise them to C but NOT transpose the chordsheet

Would this give us the right result--Sorry Matt, if thats just another way of stating what you wrore

This seems the reverse of what we currently do--we load them with BinaB set to C and then get BinaB to drop them to Bb

Phil

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Chords in your Bb Faike Books are transposed to Bb so that you can use them to play improvised solos over the changes or analyze the chord progression to do things like that with it and not have to also deal with transposing the chords from Concert C to your Bb instrument. And since the notes are already transposed, the chords above them should match.

The Rhythm instruments should not be using the Bb chart to play off of anyway. But if they do, they have to transpose the chords down one step.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Would this give us the right result
Phil

No.

Veteran
Veteran
In many cases there is a standard key for a song. It is thus written in C in the Standard Key. Thus the B flat book transposes it so that the Bflat instruments play it in the correct key. This does not mean you have to play it yourself in that key. Often differing groups of players stick to certain keys by default. Lots of folk style Canadian genre bands play in E and A. This is due to the fiddler being more comfortable with that.

That said, the book is not in Bflat. The book simply takes a piece normally played in the c book and transposes it for ease of use into the correct key for bflat instruments. That said, some bflat instrument players (ie Trombones) learn the positions as if playing in C thus need no transposition. Drives me nuts when figuring out which bone player needs which piece of music, Bass Clef C, Bass Clef Bflat, or which of the other two clefs and in which version .....

In the Practice (P) window just set band in a box to transpose your instrument for Bflat. So for example This is the End of a Beautiful Friendship is normally played in C by a Jazz Band. The transposition for Bflat puts the piece in D for a bflat horn. It is always up 2 semitones. So C goes to D. F goes to G. But if you do not like the key, say for example you are allergic to 5 flats do not play the piece in the key of B which for a horn transposes to D flat or 5 flats.

Playing or practicing alone the best bet is to set the software to Bflat by using the Practice (P) window, hit bflat, and then practice the piece in the keys you are most comfortable with. Set the global transposition to +2 and then transpose as usual in Band in a Box to whatever key you like.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Journeyman
Journeyman
Here is a Handy Transposition Chart.
http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/transposition.html

Just do what it says in the EXAMPLE at the bottom of the page.

Harold Buckelew WB2CGG Visit my Web Site www.theimperialmusiccenter.com HP Pavilion a6110n PC. BIAB 2011. In God We Trust
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If I was doing it, I would first set the transpose to Bb (notation options, or Practice Window).,

Then, you can enter chords directly out of the Bb book. Any time you want to go back to concert, set the transpose to 0.

In either case, the song files are always saved in concert key.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply

I have done that and it works, and the great thing is that I can transpose the actual sounds of the chords to concert but not get BinaB to transpose the chord sheet so we still see the chords on the computer screen as we input them from the Bb book

Tx
Phil

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sorry guys,

Not what I meant to say--early morning here in the UK so not quite awake

It works fine but you do have to say "yes" to transpose worksheet to get BinaB to change the pitch of the chords to concert or any key for that matter.
It still means though that we can use the chords from the Fake Book to solo over

BR

Phil

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Right!!

To get to the basic question behind all this and stop boring everyone to death with this post

I create a new song, select a key and put chords on the chord sheet then select a style and any Real Tracks.

I also ask it to make a melody based on these chords--I press play and it plays the song

If I then go to the key sig box and change it to another key I get a screen which asks "OK to transpose worksheet"

If I say "Yes" to this, the chords on the screen are changed and play in the key I have selected and so does the melody line as BinaB works out all the changes to # and b for the new key--in other words the whole song--chords and melody-- are changed to the new key--is this correct??

However if I say "No" to this then what happens?--is it that BinaB changes the melody line acording to the new key but keeps the chords the same as when I entered them in the 1st place??

Tx

Phil

Journeyman
Journeyman
I see now that we are talking about two different things here. My post about the Handy Transposition Chart belongs in the Off Topic forum. Here we are talking about Biab. I am talking about not having Biab at the moment.
You come to practice with the band and you ask, what key are we doing this song in? ANS: C. you, having a Bb instrument can find the key of D using the Chart at a glance. Pro’s would not need to do this. I am thinking beginners. Thanks Peter. The practice way to transpose is the way to go.

Expert
Expert
Quote:

I..... My post about the Handy Transposition Chart belongs in the Off Topic forum. Here we are talking about Biab. I am talking about not having Biab at the moment.
You come to practice with the band and you ask, what key are we doing this song in? ANS: C. you, having a Bb instrument can find the key of D using the Chart at a glance. Pro’s would not need to do this. I am thinking beginners. Thanks Peter. The practice way to transpose is the way to go.

Thanks for a most handy chart. I'm only used to going from Bb to C and vice versa. Now I can start to struggle through Eb and F.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If in fact the chords in the Bb Fake Book are already in Bb to make it easy for the Bb player to solo over then shouldnt we load the chords into BinaB with the key sig set to Bb and then get BinaB to raise them to C but NOT transpose the chordsheet

Would this give us the right result--Sorry Matt, if thats just another way of stating what you wrore

This seems the reverse of what we currently do--we load them with BinaB set to C and then get BinaB to drop them to Bb

Phil

Obviousy Phil, you can do it any way that works for you but if you want to be musically correct in the context of what everybody does then that means everybody has the correct chart for their instrument. Example, I work with several sax players who play both tenor and alto. They play out of separate books, one labeled Eb and one labeled Bb. I also get called occasionaly to play piano in a big band and it's the same thing there except for a 20 something piece big band, the leader trucks in the charts using an airport luggage carrier because of having to have three complete sets of charts for over 100 songs. Concert, Eb and Bb. And, in a big band there's no fake charts, everything is written out with no repeats so each song is usually 4, 5, 6 or even 10 pages all taped together.
Nobody will hand any horn player a chart where the notes are in Bb or Eb but the chords are in C. Just load the song in Biab in the concert key, print it out for any concert instruments and then transpose it to Bb and Eb including the chord sheet and print those. You can do what one of my friends who also uses Biab does and save your songs in different keys in separate directories like one concert directory and one Bb directory. Then of course there's the case of bringing in a vocalist and that person needs it in yet another key so you do it again in another directory. Over the years, I've got tunes I've printed out in several different keys both concert and Bb and it was only for one gig 8 years ago but of course, I don't want to throw anything out so now I've also got paper files all over the place too. Hmmm, I need another life...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob. I know what you mean about all those files--with a number of different versions. That's why I do like you say...I always save it in the concert key first and then do whatever transposing I need to and print out the notation each time. I use Undo each time and when I'm done, I just have the one original file. One thing that helps me is to use the modification date and time to see which is the last and final one. FWIW

We use Carbonite for our backup files. It's saved us more than a few times and is worth every penny.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,176
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185