Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
PS - Just checked on Casio's website. It looks like there's still no plan to develop 64 bit drivers for any of the OS's. You can run Vista or Win 7 as long as it's 32 bit.

FYI:

http://support.casio.com/information.php?rgn=5&cid=008&pid=934

Bill

Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
The WK-1630 does have both dedicated organ patches which switches the channel on/off buttons to drawbars. It also has a mod wheel. Here's a vide of one in action off of YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcr6TmQGLQU

Off-Topic
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
@pghboemike

Re: right click each instrument name you want to silence and choose mute

Sorry, doesn't work. When I attempt your method the "Combo" and "Melody" choices do mute the whole song without stopping song scroll thru, but I can't deselect individual instruments. The instrument title goes red rather than yellow, but no individual muting happens. I'm using BIAB 2007 on a PC with all the current updates. Ideas?

Cheers,

john

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
A part that turns Red when RightClicked *should* be muted.

Try a Return to Factory Settings.

--Mac

Off-Topic
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Cheers, will give it a try.

And report back.

J.

Off-Topic
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
No joy. Absoloutely no change, either with a return to Most or All factory settings. Right clicking Melody will go red and mute everything, while scroll thru continues, right clicking Combo will make all go red and do the same thing but there is no change to individual instruments playback when right clicked.

Delete and reinstall BIAB?

J.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, Shackman -

Are you talking about trying to mute you keyboard's instruments from within BIAB? I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue here.

However, the keyboard's parts do not line up with BIAB's parts and if you bring in anything from the keyboard (or from any MIDI source, for that matter), it all gets loaded into the melody track. So unless you have a BIAB style enabled for the song, muting the melody track will mute everything that got sent by the keyboard.

Or is it a different problem?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

...Right clicking Melody will go red and mute everything, ....

Hold on there.

Sounds like you are playing back a MIDI file and not a standard BiaB songfile, is that correct?

Since the MIDI SEQ places the entire MIDI file on the Melody track, muting the Melody track would mute everything you hear.

If that is the case, what you really want to do is hit the rond green "SEQ" toolbar button - where you should see the MIDI parts by the MIDi channel and can mute tracks from the imported MIDI sequence there.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To get back to Scott's original question I had a neighbor a few years ago who got the 3800 as a gift and could barely play it. I wound up playing it for about an hour and showing her how the functions worked. I remember thinking this thing was pretty good bang for the buck at $400 and I could gig with it no problem. As with all these consumer arrangers, the feel of the keys is pretty cheap compared to a Korg or Roland but can you still play it and get good sounds out of it? Absolutely, and I particularly paid attention to the organs since I do a lot of that and those patches sounded good. I only played it in her living room using the built in speakers, if I had hooked it up to my big stage rig I think it would have sounded comparable to my other pro keyboards.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Guys, I'm going to migrate my rude hijacking of this thread to a new thread before straining the friendships too much. Look for a BIAB orientated issue thread, but here in Off-Topic. See you there. J.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Bob,

Do you still have access to the 3800? I'm just wondering about the organs and the leslie effects. Is there a nice smooth transition from high to low rotor speeds? A switch would work just fine for me to control this live - footpedal or button accessible to my left hand.

I'm trying to figure out which one of these to buy. If none of them have a smooth transition of leslie, I probably will pass.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, got busy this weekend and missed your question. I've moved so I don't have access to that Casio any more. They're available in lots of places so try to find one and play with it.
I looked up the unit and it has digital drawbars with percussion and keyclick control. It has 50 organ presets and memory for 100 user presets. I don't remember now how good the leslie effect was except to say I thought the organs sounded pretty good overall and I always listen for that but can't help you with that level of detail. I'm pretty sure if it was a cheesy leslie I would have remembered that. All I was doing was showing the girl basically how it worked not testing it out for myself.
The online user manual doesn't go into the leslie effect either but it says it has full editing of all the DSP effects but it doesn't actually list them or say what that editing is. You have to have one in front of you and see what shows up in the edit screen I guess. In the synth section the manual does talk about full ADSR editing functions so it maybe it is pretty complete as far as rotator ramp speed etc but I can't say for sure. Still for $400 it's not bad at all.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Leslie effect on that thing isn't superb, but not many simulators are.

That said, most who don't like Leslie simulators are falling victim to the use of those #$@!% "keyboard amplifiers" that sum the signal to MONO output.

Use of both stereo L and R outputs to full stereo onstage - and NOT a stereo pa front, which is typically spread out way too far for a good Leslie sim, no, a separate stereo keyboard amp with both L and R speakers ON THE STAGE with you, will make huge difference. I like to place both speakers directly behind me, pointing stage left and stage right, back-to-back when using simulated Leslie. If the room need more projection, then I turn 'em at about a 37 to 45 degree angle, still facing away from each other.

You can hear the CASIO's stereo leslie sim effect easily when auditioning one, since there is a stereo pair of small speakers right in the top of the deck.

But if you plug it into a monophonic amp at the gig, what comes out will not sound like a Leslie.

Because the mono amp can only produce the Tremulant component of what a Leslie gives us, which translates to a rather lame "Guitar Amp Tremelo" kind of sound, almost. NO Doppler. No spatial Frequency Modulation, just Amplitude Modulation with a strange warble added to it.

The real Leslie speaker literally throws the sound around. You need Stereo reproduction to properly simulate that.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Well,

I just saw a new product introduced by E-MU which might now be at the top of my list: E-MU Longboard 61

Here's a product video: http://en.audiofanzine.com/electric-piano/e-mu/longboard-61/medias/a.play,m.43942.html

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Longboard's supposedly been out for maybe 8 mos to a year, I guess. Big announcements, get ready, should be on the shelves any time, here it comes, you gonna love it, here's the specs, there's the review.

Haven't had a chance to find one somewhere to check out yet.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
To be fair, the E-MU Longboard & Shortboard keyboards have a rather exciting set of features for the player, to include a very nice pricepoint in a keyboard that can function as both controller and standalone keyboard with sounds. GM bank, plus a nice feature that includes many of the famous E-MU Vintage Keys voices, such as Wurly, Clav, several Rhodes piano versions, B3, etc. all in one easy to call separate 64 voice performance bank.

VIDEO DEMO from fanzine

http://en.audiofanzine.com/electric-piano/e-mu/longboard-61/medias/a.play,m.43942.html

Logically laid out, easy to use controls that look to not get in the way at a gig. These are controls that a keyboardist might actually USE and it is nice to see that there are no hard to read screen readouts, layers of menus, etc. to get in the way of fast selection on the fly.

mp3 demos from E-MU

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?...12&nav=demo

Low price (for a pro level board with sounds) - semi-weighted keys are nonwaterfall type, a factor that some pianists may not like but one that I find not so horrendous as to preclude use onstage, this keyboard also has its own gigbag that can be carried over the shoulders backpack style, it is rather light in weight, can be powered by USB, external wallwart or internal D cell batteries, has two headphone jacks plus a Kensington lock slot aimed at classroom use, the USB can also function as a MIDI port to computer for a second keyboard or synth that does not have USB, splitting and/or layering of patches is a simple and easy two-button dedicated solution for rapid setups, built in sounds are E-MU, nothing more need be said about that.

If I can get the chance to audition one in person, it would likely end up in my keyboard arsenal, I need something to replace my rather long-in-the tooth Kurzweil SP-88 board in my rack.

With the built in full GM bank, it ought to work and play very well with BiaB, too.

That's a lotta bang for the buck.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Mac,

Yes, I watched the video demo - still could use a better demo of features, but what I really liked is that the controls are at the left hand side of the board; and there's nearly direct access to all of the main sounds.

I would still like to hear some B3 comping on the thing. The audio demos are horrendously quantized lifeless things.

I'm not sure the back-pack gigbag is included in the price, but I like that feature.

I like that it has octave transpose buttons right above the wheels. This is one feature of my Oxygen 49 board that I really like using while soloing on lead synth patches. Very handy.

Anyways, It looks almost like a poor-man's Nord Electro - which is what I really wish I could afford. But I don't like Nord's choice of putting controls above the right hand position on the board. Kind of like putting volume and tone controls on the neck of a guitar.

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, I personally don't think the samples are all that great by today's standards, but they are passable. It ain't no Nord.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
My point about the samples is that in the right hands, they probably sound better. I've said it many times on PG boards, that quantized midi playback is one of the 'markers' to me that make me go 'ugh'. All of the longboard audio demos are poorly chosen midi sequences, heavily quantized, with almost no expression or playing dynamics. If that's a result of the board, then I'll pass, but my guess is that it was simply laziness on E-MU's part.

Let John Novello or Robert Walter loose on the B3 patches and then help me make my choice!

I realize it isn't a Nord Electro, but then again, the Electro doesn't have mod wheels and synth patches on board. To get that, you have to buy the Nord Stage (warning - clicking on the following link may induce GAS) http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Stage_EX&clnsm=Information

-Scott

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,503
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195