Page 1 of 2 1 2
#81856 08/06/10 05:56 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I am currently using a Ketron SD2 sound module with BIAB. Sounds OK for piano, drums, bass, not so good for brass & woodwinds. Any recommendations for something better that doesn't cost a bundle? Less than $1K?
Thanks,
MB

Mark Bosko #81857 08/06/10 09:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Everything that I've heard from the SD2 points to having some of the best brass and woodwinds sounds in a synth. I would call them comparable to my Korg PA800.

You're not going to find anything less than $1,000 that's going to match those sounds.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Mark Bosko #81858 08/07/10 04:50 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You are likely only using the GM bank on the Ketron.

The Upper Bank patches are where the horns are at, try substituting some of those.

For example, the Golden Trumpet patch easily outshines the standard GM Trumpet patch sound, etc.

Patchmaps for the SD2 are available for download on the PGMusic Support pages, one for BiaB and another for PT/RB. This makes selecting and auditioning the patches a breeze as it lists them by name and grouped by instruments.

BIG difference in the sound and realism once you get the hang of it.

GM - General MIDI - is just the standardized sound bank that allows many different users to play back MIDI files and at least hear the same basic instruments as the creator of the file wanted. Without it, there would be no Patch number standardization and one person's synth might decide that what was a Saxophone could be anything else. Upper Banks are not standardized so you would have to pick and choose for each different hardware or software synth out there.

It is worth the little bit of extra time to do so. As with anything MIDI, there will be a small learning curve to this, but once past that point it should become second nature to assign Upper Banks in order to get better sounds.

--Mac

Mac #81859 08/07/10 05:17 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Curiosity.
I certainly understand the GM concept. What I don't understand is why would Ketron and others put cheesy sounds in the GM slots?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
silvertones #81860 08/07/10 05:31 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't understand why you would associate "cheezy" with it.

Nobody has said that, to my knowledge.

There are just better sounds to be had in the Upper Banks of the SD2 for some of the instruments.

Since the subject here deals with horns, let's examine that aspect.

There are horns in the upper banks that feature Vibrato, something that is likely undesirable to have in the GM bank where it is not known what kind of music someone may wish to play back.

There are the "breathy" saxophones as well.

And Trumpets that feature different tones from warm to bright, some of which have a bit of Vibrato in them, as well. Again, that kind of thing does not translate well when the genre and type of music to be played back is not known.

So GM banks are typically made with instrument sounds that are more on the "generic" side so that there can be cross-compatability with all sorts of possible genres.

Think of it like the Leatherman Tool or the older Swiss Army knife analogy. I love my Leatherman Wave and go nowhere without it. Excellent compact tool for emergencies, even various everyday tasks.

Then again, I wouldn't want to try doing a valve job with it...

--Mac

silvertones #81861 08/07/10 05:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They try to create a matched set. A General soundset that will work for most stuff. A trumpet with a bunch of vibrato and lip slurs, bends etc may sound fantastic for a trumpet solo, but put a bunch of them together and you do not end up with a nice trumpet section. You need the blander sounds to mix together without clashing. A usable set.

That was one of the cool things with fonts- you could roll yer own.

GM sounds are not always cheesey, but often not the best for a particular use. They are the 'general' (generic) version.
*edit*
*guess I was typing while Mac was. At least we seem to agree basicly!

Last edited by rharv; 08/07/10 05:39 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #81862 08/07/10 06:18 AM
Off-Topic
P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
I've downloaded both free and professional midis with some unbelievable horn sections.
My Roland SC-88 sounds great and I can only imagine what the Ketron would sound like.

If you look at the events list of the tracks, there are numerous midi controllers applied to just one note to achieve a very realistic sound. No idea how they do it.

Percy

percy #81863 08/07/10 07:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being familiar with each horn's sound and capabilities, and knowing how to use the available MIDI tools (controllers) does help a ton with the facade. The samples can only take you so far on their own. Replicating a live musician on their preferred insrument is a big challenge. They use tons of nuances that may not get noticed at first.

Example - Sanborn often slides up to notes slightly, and his tone is very recognizable. Expecting a generic sax sample to replicate that is not realistic. BTW I have a sample set of his sound. Just getting that nasally tone alone makes it seem more more real for his style, but a ton of controllers are indeed needed to finish it off..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #81864 08/07/10 01:20 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Thanks for the suggestions. I will experiment more with voice banks of the SD2. I think it's OK for what I mostly use it for - practicing.

Mark Bosko #81865 08/07/10 01:49 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I installed the patch map and in certain instances, there are better sounding instruments to choose from. You need to choose the best patch for each specific application which is OK.
Thanks.
MB

Mark Bosko #81866 08/07/10 05:23 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
TIP:

When there is a horn *section* in your MIDI tracks, Trumpet, Sax or Bone, try invoking a *different* virtual player for each "member" of the section.

For example, Placing that Golden Trumpet on the lead, the generic GM Trumpet on the "second chair" - perhaps the bright trumpet on the third chair, etc. can go a long way towards sounding more like separate characters in a section without resorting to the entry of all those CC's and the like.

The above is one place where the SD2 really shines.

--Mac

Mac #81867 08/07/10 09:14 PM
Off-Topic
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Mac & Gary have it right!

The Ketron SD2 is just about the best for lots of sounds (orchestral and jazz/pop).

It has the only decent Breathy Tenor Sax
Best jazz Clarinet in the upper range
Best Violin and Viola
Best Trumpet (Golden Trumpet)
Excellent Flute

When I say best I mean of all of the many hardware synths I have ever played or listened to whenever solo samples were available on websites, over the last 15 years.

Furthermore I am talking about playing brass and wind on a wind controller live which has more demands than if you play with a keyboard or play back from notation program with keyswitching.

Although the Garritan libraries sound great when painstakingly written out and tweaked note by note -they are often disappointing when you try to play them live on a wind controller.

Now if you want the absolute best Trumpet and Trombone sounds - there is nothing as good as the sounds from samplemodeling.com. It leaves everything in the dust as far as authenticity of sound, responsiveness and playability on a wind controller.
It's obviously great when played with a keyboard.

I have not had a chance to really test Wallander sounds which a number of people have said is very good.

In summary, for a hardware synth, especially one at such a bargain price there is nothing that compares to the Ketron SD2 as far as acoustic sounds are concerned.
On a number of the newer Roland synths including the SC-88 etc. I do like the Kawal patch quite a bit and sadly there is nothing quite like it on the SD2.Mac has it right.

The Ketron SD2 is just about the best for lots of sounds.

It has the only decent Breathy Tenor Sax
Best jazz Clarinet in the upper range
Best Violin and Viola
Best Trumpet (Golden Trumpet)
Excellent Flute

When I say best I mean of all of the many hardware synths I have ever played or listened to whenever solo samples were available on websites.

Furthermore I am talking about playing brass and wind on a wind controller live which has more demands than if you play with a keyboard or play back from notation program with keyswitching.

Although the Garritan libraries sound great when painstakingly written out and tweaked note by note -they are often disappointing when you try to play them live on a wind controller.

Now if you want the absolute best Trumpet and Trombone sounds - there is nothing as good as the sounds from samplemodeling.com. It leaves everything in the dust as far as authenticity of sound, responsiveness and playability on a wind controller.
It's obviously great when played with a keyboard.

I have not had a chance to really test Wallander sounds which a number of people have said is very good.

In summary, for a hardware synth, especially one at such a bargain price there is nothing that compares to the Ketron SD2 as far as acoustic sounds are concerned.
On a number of the newer Roland synths including the SC-88 etc. I do like the Kawal patch quite a bit and sadly there is nothing quite like it on the SD2.v

Last edited by Dan Tong; 08/07/10 09:17 PM.
Dan Tong #81868 08/08/10 01:08 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
re - TIP:

"When there is a horn *section* in your MIDI tracks, Trumpet, Sax or Bone, try invoking a *different* virtual player for each "member" of the section.

For example, Placing that Golden Trumpet on the lead, the generic GM Trumpet on the "second chair" - perhaps the bright trumpet on the third chair, etc. can go a long way towards sounding more like separate characters in a section without resorting to the entry of all those CC's and the like.

The above is one place where the SD2 really shines. "

Q - So if I have a brass rythym section in a song, I need to have a separate midi track for each member if I want to mix and match different types of trumpets etc.? Most of everything I have done so far has just been BIAB stuff, mostly backing tracks. Any way to get a good sounding brass section in there without midi tracks? Or do I need to use a combo of midi & BIAB? It would be nice to have some Ketron presets to choose from that mixed & matched trumpets etc.

Thanks,
MB

Mark Bosko #81869 08/08/10 02:17 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, even in BiaB, if you are hearing different Patches from the "horn section" - then they are on different MIDI channels.

Changing the Patch on each MIDI channel then is easy.

There aren't any presets for that inside the SD2, this should be done by the host software.

Are you using MIDI files? If so, in BiaB, you can change the Patch for each instrument by hitting the big round green SEQ button. Should be self-explanatory from there.

--Mac

Mac #81870 08/08/10 04:09 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I have not been using midi files but it looks like they will give me more flexibility. I've been trying to avoid the extra complexity and learning curve but I guess there's no free lunch.

Thanks,
MB

Mark Bosko #81871 08/08/10 04:14 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
BTW - I have been using an old version of BIAB and just upgraded to the latest verion that includes RB. I'm hoping that will make the inclusion and manipulation of midi files a little easier with BIAB.

Mark Bosko #81872 08/08/10 04:18 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I have not been using midi files but it looks like they will give me more flexibility. I've been trying to avoid the extra complexity and learning curve but I guess there's no free lunch.

Thanks,
MB

Even so, if you hear different horns then they have to be being sent on different MIDI channels and changing them would be much the same. If using the BB MIDI harmonizer, then you may have to resort to some Event List edits or the like, though. Once you get the thing down, though, you can create a Custom Harmony file or two that already has those patches embedded, and just choose the custom harmony you want to get the upper banks instruments playing.

--Mac

Mac #81873 08/08/10 07:21 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I have not spent any time with the harmonizer. That will be next on my list. Thanks.

Mark Bosko #81874 08/09/10 04:17 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
So what track or tracks in BB is your horn section on?

Mac #81875 08/09/10 01:08 PM
Off-Topic
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I have been simply selecting brass patches in place of strings or piano for selected styles where it will work. But you don't have control over the individual brass patches. Not the greatest but it's fast an easy. RB will probably give me more options and I will revisit downloading midi tracks and use the extended patches of the Ketron. I think the extra effort will be worth it once I'm past the initial learning curve. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos on RB and I should have the s/w upgrade soon.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,111
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185