Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
On this project we used BIAB style "C_Shania - Contemporary Country Ballad" from SD #15 at 60 BPM in an attempt to create a feel similar to Shania's "Home Ain't Where His Heart Is Anymore" (which has an outrageous electric slide guitar break, BTW!) Since this style has no RealTracks or RealDrums associated with it, we exported it as a MIDI file into CUBASE 4 and ran the instrument tracks through a Yamaha DSP Factory, the DS2416 mixing card (...a PCI bus card encompassing all the technology of the Yamaha O2R digital mixing console) connected to a Yamaha SW1000XG sound card, and the separate drum tracks through the CUBASE DM4 VST drum plugin, utilizing real WAV files. If all this seems rather convoluted, it's the way we used to convert BIAB MIDI files in the pre-RT/RD era. But we really liked the feel of this particular style, and rather than look for another similar RT/RD style we just went with this one. The final piano track is so authentic sounding, a fellow musician, piano-music major asked who did the keyboard work. Really hated to tell him how we did it. That kind of says it all for BIAB's musicianship.

There are two distinct guitars and styles used in this song. The initial twin guitar intro and the guitar break utilize a Fender Subsonic Telecaster through a POD, with a definite "Twin Peaks" TV series vibe. (Check out "Twin Peaks intro" on YouTube to hear this haunting guitar sound.) The final guitar outro, utilizes a bluesy Allman Brothers vibe with overdriven twin Fender Power Telecasters run through a Johnson J Station set on "crunchy style" and then directly into the board, a Yamaha AW4416 lightpiped to the DAW.

Vocals harmonies are created via a TC Helicon Voice Prism (outboard gear) controlled by the BIAB bass MIDI track....so cool!

SONG LINK: Summertown

Enjoy,

Bob Buford, Producer
Summertown Recording Studios
Fort Collins, Colorado

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
another home run for Summertown Studios! You're doing a great job of showcasing the potential of PGmusic products! Thanks for posting, Bob!

FWIW... even on styles that are all midi, you can substitute MIDI instruments with real tracks... or you can bring the song into RB and add additional Real tracks

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Pat...thanks for your nice comments. I actually did play around with bringing in some RT/RD files on this project but the concensus was in favor of the converted MIDI...go figure. I've become a HUGE fan of the RT/RD capabilities of BIAB. It's cut hours off our creation time and of course $$$$ off the client's bill. I can't believe how far this product has come in ten years I've owned it. Particularly since the inclusion of RT/RD. Rather amazing.

BTW...have you heard of any problems running RB in 64bit Windows? BIAB and the DAW plugin run fine, but RB crashes when trying to open a BIAB file. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Pat...thanks for your nice comments. I actually did play around with bringing in some RT/RD files on this project but the concensus was in favor of the converted MIDI...go figure. I've become a HUGE fan of the RT/RD capabilities of BIAB. It's cut hours off our creation time and of course $$$$ off the client's bill. I can't believe how far this product has come in ten years I've owned it. Particularly since the inclusion of RT/RD. Rather amazing.

BTW...have you heard of any problems running RB in 64bit Windows? BIAB and the DAW plugin run fine, but RB crashes when trying to open a BIAB file. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

It really *IS* an amazing product... it does more of what *I* want to do with music software than any other software I've tried (and I've pretty much tried them all).

Regarding your question about RB...I'm still using 2009.5, so my experience may not be indicative of what you might find in the latest version. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the forum about using the software on 64 bit operating systems, and you would learn more by tracking down those threads than you would from me. But I haven't had the problem you mention. My biggest "gotcha" was having to buy new audio-midi input devices because my old ones did not have drivers available for Win7x 64... but that isn't a PGMusic problem.

I really like all the music you've posted so far... I look forward to hearing more!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Another spectacular song! I'm in awe of your ability to use BIAB to produce outstanding material. Thank you for posting your procedure. It really helps to understand the process.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Noel...you're too kind. Maybe it sounds so good because you're hearing it upside down! I'm happy to share our methods and info. BIAB has made songwriting/recording fun and affordable again. My first original album in 1986 cost over $20k in a big analog studio, fully produced! I can do the same kind of project now, and with better quality actually, with BIAB and a few good studio cats for a fraction of that cost. Don't misunderstand, big studios have their place in the industry, but for singer/songwriters, for whom cost is a definate consideration, BIAB is cost effective and provides impressive results in the right hands.

We're all about helping budding artists and veterans discover new ways to get their material out to their fans with the smallest overhead possible. BIAB is a major player in making that happen. Next month we've invited the local Songwriter's Circle to meet at one of the local recording studios to play with some of the new recording gear. A big part of this "working meeting" will be using BIAB to create songs. I'm hoping they'll all download a free evaluation copy and check out the capabilities of BIAB for themselves. I think when we show them what they can do with it, they'll be hooked.

Thanks again for your nice comments.

Bob

User Showcase
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
Hi Bob,
A very good song which I enjoyed very much. I liked the lyrics and the performance - very professional.

Jim

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Jim...thanks so much for your nice comments. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the song. Every now and then we get one right.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well for me it was the vocals . You had me with first couple lyrics. Very nice tone in that upper register.

Other than that, all was good. I actually picked up by guitar, found the key and played alone.

Good job.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Dan....thanks for the accompaniment! I can use all the help I can get! I don't even know what key it's in...Bb? Great that you like the lyrics. This song turned out to be a self-fulfillng prophecy. I've often wondered about the effect of what we sing on our own lives and have discussed it with other songwriters and singers. I wonder if we write our own future sometime? Hmmmm. What do you think?

Thanks for your nice comments.

Bob

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bob, I love the music and vocals. I also love the production of the song. I have one question. I have tried for a long time to get a song to sound big and full, what do you use to make that happen? The song sounds huge.

Steve

Steve
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Bob, I love the music and vocals. I also love the production of the song. I have one question. I have tried for a long time to get a song to sound big and full, what do you use to make that happen? The song sounds huge.

Steve

Hey Steve...how are things down in Razorback country? I'm from La. originally and lived around Alexandria, LA most of life until moving to Colorado. Great folks (and food!) down there!

BTW, I've listened to some of your music and I think you're doing some fine work. Sometimes there are only a few small things that take your sound to the next level. I don't know what software and hardware you're using to create your music but regardless there are some things I can tell you that may be of use to you in getting a fatter sound. To begin with, the most important thing you can do is to give each track, whether instrument or vocal, it's own "sonic space" in the stereo spectrum. Basically that means "panning" all your tracks around the main vocal. There are really no big secrets to the way we produce a song. No special hardware or software, just an awareness of what's possible sonically. Basically we put the main vocal in the middle of the mix, with any harmonies close by, say no more than 10-20% off center. Next, bass and drums occupy a similar, but not exact, center position usually only 5% or less off center. After that come the backing instruments like fingerstyle and strummed guitars, or keyboards, steel, etc. I always like to pan these instruments to the far left and right of each other, as much as 75-100% left or right. While we have some pretty nice studio monitors, I find the best way to evaluate "sonic placement" is to use a decent set of accurate headphones to listen to the placement (Sony MDR 7506 work great). When you do this type of listening, see if you can hear each track distinctly in the mix even though it may be quiter than the main vocal. And finally, effects such as reverb and compression. Reverb is "musical spice" and needs to be used sparingly. We do not use reverb on bass or kick drum. We do apply it to most other sounds but in varying degrees. I prefer "plate reverb" to most other kinds because it sounds more like the old studio hardware "plates" you find in analog studios, and to me more natural. I put more reverb on vocals than on say, keyboard, or acoustic guitar, and a bit more on electric or steel guitar. But hardly ever enough where it's obvious. You'll hear what seems like a lot of reverb on the solo drums at the beginning of "Summertown" but notice how it seems to decrease after the song starts. We didn't reduce the reverb it's just blended in with the other sounds. I usually start the mixing process with the vocal volume normalized, that is, set at "0" DB, and add everything else below it. For example, add a guitar to the mix, and listen, add a keyboard, and listen, etc until you build the mix, giving each track it's own space. There are no hard and fast rules here. It's really just practice and listening...a LOT. Ear training. There's more to tell you, but this should keep you busy for a while. Email me directly or call if you'd like to discuss other aspects of recording, mixing, and mastering. I'd be happy to help you.

In the meantime get some headphones and listen to this song for some serious lessons in "sonic placement": Faithless Heart

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice job! Very good song. This certainly features vocal, which is good. But I think the vocal is a bit too up front. The drums seem way in the back of the mix. Maybe that's the way you wanted to mix them? I think the drums need to 'come to the party' too. You'd be suprised at how much more dynamic and present this mix can be if the drums got some more TLC. I mean no disrespect when I say I hear a lot of this type of mixing. It's not bad or wrong per say. But it's a bit steeped in verb- and even that isn't a bad thing. But without careful attention, everything can get soupy in a hurry. And then what happens is you lose contrast within a mix. Like the importance of color contrast, so too is sound contrast. What I would do with this one is dry out everything and start again. The trem guitar is where I would focus and feature the verb a bit. It lends a nice atmosphere in this context. Aside from the vocal, that trem guitar is a feature. Then bring the drums up as they need to speak more. Then sit the vocals down a bit more. Then a wee bit of verb to taste on various other tracks. So, you have the wet trem guitar and some dryer, more present instruments. Contrast. It avoids a wash out and brings things up and off the speakers. It's been said a million times but it bears repeating- apply a verb until you think it's great, and then back it off some and usually you'll have it just about right.

Hope you don't mind. I'm trying to be constructive. And I only get this involved when I hear truly great potential in a song, and potential within the mix. This has it. A little more tweaking and you have not merely a demo, but a record.

Great work Bob!

Dan

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks Bob. Things are going very well down here. Thanks for the tips. I will work on those.

Steve

Steve
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

I really enjoyed this song, wow !! Your voice reminds me of John Berry, excellent !!

Fantastic all the way around. Top shelf stuff . . . .

Trax

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Bob- I read your reply to my comment- now deleted. I'm only now getting a chance to write here. I know you didn't take offense buddy, as evidenced in your original reply- and none was meant. Like I said, I think the work is great. We're all out here trying put our best efforts forward. Hopefully this is a place where we can share ideas and learn too. And I know I need help too! I'm nobody special when it comes to mixing down my work. I struggle to this day. And I still learn each time I mix. Who doesn't!

Anyway, I just hope my comments were taken in the spirit they were meant. Take care.

Dan

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Hey Bob- I read your reply to my comment- now deleted. I'm only now getting a chance to write here. I know you didn't take offense buddy, as evidenced in your original reply- and none was meant. Like I said, I think the work is great. We're all out here trying put our best efforts forward. Hopefully this is a place where we can share ideas and learn too. And I know I need help too! I'm nobody special when it comes to mixing down my work. I struggle to this day. And I still learn each time I mix. Who doesn't!

Anyway, I just hope my comments were taken in the spirit they were meant. Take care.

Dan

Hi Dan....no worries. We're good.

Bob

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Bob,

I really enjoyed this song, wow !! Your voice reminds me of John Berry, excellent !!

Fantastic all the way around. Top shelf stuff . . . .

Trax

Thanks Trax....I hate to admit this....but...I didn't know who John Berry was. It's hard to keep up sometimes. Anyway I went out to YouTube and listened to "Your Love Amazes Me." Wow! That's quiet a compliment. Now I have to go practice so I can live up to the comparison. Haha.

Thank you again. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bob

User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Hi,As a citizen from the UK its hard for us songwriter/singers to get that American country vocal which really comes across here especially with Faithless Heart.I agree with Shockwave about the drums being to far back in the mix also I feel there is just a bit to much overall reverb.But this is all about "preference" like the old saying "One mans meat is another mans poison.You have talent and write really well thought out lyrics something I find really hard to master when writing my songs.Cheers Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195