Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
BIAB: Your Partner In The Creative Process

This song was created initially on our Yamaha Motif with no backing tracks as an exercise in "melody first" song creation. As a singer/songwriter I usually begin a new song with a song "idea" or story I want to relate. I usually write a short story, choose a hook, and then write the lyrics, and choose the music based on what the lyrics suggest. But in an effort to come up with new material I started noodling around with melody first ideas on an instrument where I have the least amount of expertise. Sort of an "unfamiliar territory yields uncommon musical results." It's always interesting to me to hear how other songwriters apply the creative process and what they were thinking when they created a song. If you have stories about your process I'd love to hear them, as I think we'd all benefit from the knowledge.

BIAB's contribution to this production is "BALADP Ctry Bal w/Ped Steel" from SD#94 at 65 bpm. With the exception of my country-style piano, the entire song is RT/RD. I still have no lyrics; not sure there will ever be any. But I really enjoyed the "melody first" creative process and find the song very moving despite the lack of lyrical content.

SONG LINK: Deahnah's Theme

Enjoy,

Bob Buford, Producer
Summertown Recording Studios
Fort Collins, Colorado

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob,

Really like this one. It just shows what can come out of some random playing on a keyboard. I don't mean that as a negative but a positive.
I used to use a chord progression as my inspiration for a song and still do, but, I now like to have a story in mind which I have experienced.
I then change it around so that it could fit for almost anyone to have that experience (hope I said that right )

Anyway
Well Done

Best regards
Michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
You're absolutely right. Sometimes you just have to get out of your head and noodle around and LISTEN to what you're right brain is creating. I've used the chord progression thing too, which works GREAT with BIAB when you want to come up with something new and fresh.

I got what you meant about changing it around. I try to write my songs so that either sex can relate. I'll be putting one up today called "Someday" recorded with both male and female vocals as separate songs. I'd be interested to get your feedback.

Thanks for listening,
Bob

User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
first off who is Deahnah?.This is a nice tune and you should try and get a really nice lyric for it.It sounds sad in places when it hits that minor chord but its just how I hear it and might not be sad at all.But like I said a nice tune with a tender feel.Cheers Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice one Bob. This does well purely as an instrumental, although it's still a bit under written- more of an idea in progress it seems. Myself, I'm always careful about commiting to instrumentals when I write. I almost always latch onto loving it just the way it is and often times, it needs quite a rework to work well with vocal. And the melody most times must change a bit to accomodate vocal phrasing. So when I make a wonderful instrumental, I stick to it with that intention only. And that doesn't often happen because I don't typically write that way. I almost always write the hook first, both lyrically and melody/music. If I have a killer hook, I know I have song. Verses and bridge come easily if I have that killer hook. It is very rare that I write an entire story from top to bottom and then try to portion it all out. That just doesn't work for me. But I'll tell you one thing though- if I'm given a story premise, I can write very easily. It's amazing how we all approach writing. I've read and tried so many different techniques over the years. Many of them work well to keep the writing flowing regardless, but the best work comes quick and from literally out of nowhere- following no prescribed techniques. And in the end, no particular way is the ONLY way every time, either!

Nice one here Bob! You write great material. Someday I'd love to have a crack at singing a take down. I love hearing other people sing my work. And there's even times...ok, only once...that I prefered someone elses performance over mine! LOL! But if you ever have something you want to toss out for fun, I'm game! Take care.

Dan

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Frankie...Ah yes, Deahnah. "Sad" is an appropriate evaluation. "Sad" would describe Deahnah's life. Well this is the story...if you're interested. We had a supper one night with some musical friends and companions. And of course musicians aren't together for long before somebody picks up something and starts playing. While supper was cooking I was in the music room noodling around with this song idea that had been rolling around in my head. The song was mostly done but it sounded more like a movie theme than a real song. I looked up and noticed our friend Deahnah standing in the doorway with tears in her eyes. Kind of freaked me out. I said "What?" And she replied "Are you sad?" And I said "No...why?" "That song so sad." she said. Deahnah is one of those people who loves music to the extreme but neither plays or sings. Music affects her deeply. So when we produced the song we decided to name it after her as sort of a gift to her musical devotion. She says the song mirrors the difficult life she's experienced. Don't ask me how. But I know it's people like her that we all write for. That person that your music means more to than it does to you as the writer. Maybe someday it will have words. Right now it seems to be powerful all by itself.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, this is an excellent instrumental. Your style reminds me of Floyd Cramer when he plays a ballad. Great chops.

Personally I would keep this an instrumental.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Mario....Floyd is spinning in his grave like a lathe at that comment. Now I'll have to go practice.

I don't "hear" any words for it, so I guess, at least for now, it will stay an instrumental. Anyone interested in writing lyrics, be my guest.

Bob

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Dan...thanks for the insight. I love hearing how other people write and their inspirations. It's kind of a mystical process, especially when you hit the sweet spot and the words just seem to pour out like they were already written and you're just copying them down. Personally I'd like to "channel" Harlan Howard!

As for take downs if you ever hear something of mine you'd like to do let me know or just download the lyrics and do your own version. I was wondering why we don't do more of that. I did a cover of "Take It All Out On You" and needed some nice steel. So I emailed an MP3 of the song to another buddy with a studio who is a great steel player. He sent me back FOUR steel tracks and let me pick and choose what I wanted in the song. So cool. it worked great. Now the funny part is he lives on the other side of town, only about 15 minutes away. Haha! Basically you could create a song with input from folks all over the world. Ain't technology great?

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes it is! I remember the days when my band mate and I would play tracks into each others answering machine when we needed to learn something in a hurry. A cassette answering machine, no less!! Now we just fly stuff around via email. We often think back and chuckle at that one. Before biab and real tracks, I collab'd with some fine musicians all over the country to get a track done. I farmed out a drum track, organ tracks, fiddle, etc. I really like that, although biab and real tracks makes the process that much more immediate now. I'll never let go of long distance collabs, but for the time being, real track players are doing just fine!

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, that's an excellent piece, I really enjoyed it!
After I replayed it a couple of times I began to wonder if the delicate intro would sound nice repeated at the end also? The solo intro is nice and poignant (memories, lost love, etc. etc), then the song builds nicely with the theme backed up with drums, bass, etc. and in my head I was hearing it at the end go back to the poignancy of the lonely intro, maybe with more reverb as it wanders off.... Just a thought. (Nurse! he's out of bed again... )

Can you tell me what gizmos and software you use to get your masters so bright, sparkly, punchy and loud?

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well like the others, I loved the melody. But for me this needs lyrics. And I have heard your vocals before and know you would sound great over this.

Keep playing it, lyrics will come and it will be a great tune.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
John...thanks for your input. A solo ending is a great idea and would take the song full circle. I lived with the full melody as a solo for a long time before choosing the backing tracks. Alone it really sounds like a movie theme...think "Bridges of Madison County"...and as such can stand on it's own. Here it is with no backup: Deahnah's Theme (solo) I re-recorded it after choosing the backing tracks to help it flow properly. Here's another one as an example that's never had backing tracks other than some bass I added with the synth: Wherever You Are Tonight Although my intention has been to create a great melody first on the keyboard and hope to inspire lyrics, all I've done so far is create songs I like just as instrumentals. Haha! I don't know where it's all going now.

As for mastering, first I've learned to get the best performances at the highest input possible in the tracking phase. Then when it's time to master I output the WAV file ( my primary DAW is Sonar Producer 8.5 ) at the highest non-clipping level I can. Then we master with Sony's Sound Forge. Generally I'll use an effect called WAVE HAMMER, a standard Sound Forge effect that incorporates normalization and compression, which has a preset called "Master for 16 bit." Sometimes I master a project manually in Sound Forge adding highs using a preset and rolling off some very low end, and then normalizing using a -16db or -10db preset, being careful to avoid clipping. For mastering a whole album at once I use Sony's CD Architect to create the master. I level the tracks and add a bit of highs back in and roll off some low end ( 50-80hz ). I NEVER add reverb to a project during mastering. It seems to muddy up the mix. Basically I get good tracks and don't mess with them much after that other than what I've related here. Keep it clean. Clients seem to like the results and relay to me that they often get compliments from fans/customers on how clean and bright their albums sound.

I've paid for mastering from some well-known duplicators and mastering companies and been less than pleased. I don't know how anyone can master your project if they have no idea what you wanted to accomplish in the first place. Perhaps I've just never found the right mastering company.

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions....now take your pill and get back into bed before I call the nurse!

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Dan...I can't get past the melody to write lyrics yet. Any ideas? Suggestions? What do YOU hear for lyrics???

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks Dan...I can't get past the melody to write lyrics yet. Any ideas? Suggestions? What do YOU hear for lyrics???

Bob

Stormy Nights and rain filled days
Remind me of your simple ways
The times we played and sang together
Who could have know what we would weather.

You asked....

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well now...aren't YOU the talented one!! Finish it!

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195