You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#84365 - 09/03/10 03:21 AM [User Showcase] New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite
Loc: Colorado
Buford Offline
Journeyman

This new song was created using several RealTracks styles individually and then importing all the tracks into Sonar Producer 8.5 via the BIAB DAW plugin. Then we cut and pasted the best parts of the tracks we liked to create a "composite" of steel and fiddle tracks from these styles:

_CBALAD1 Slow Ctry Bal w/ Pedal Steel SD#94
_George Ctry Bal w/ Fiddle SD#94
_ALLISF w/ Fiddle SD#94

Actually I think there were a couple more we imported in the same genre/style but you get the picture: "Pick the best and leave the rest..."

The vibrato Telecaster lead was recorded live in Sonar as well as the vocal. Final mix master track was run through Sonar's Linear Multi-Band 64 bit compressor using "Light Mastering" preset. The mix was exported to a 16 bit WAV file and topped, tailed, and mastered in Sony Sound Forge 9, using the Wave Hammer "Master for 16 bit" preset. Highs were boosted via Graphic EQ around 15khz to add some "sparkle" and lows rolled off below 80hz. Final step was normalizing to -16db.

This is probably not the final iteration of this song (is it ever?), but I want to live with it for a while before adding harmonies or remixing.

SONG LINK: What About Love (MP3)
LYRICS LINK: What About Love (RTF file)

Enjoy

Bob Buford, Producer
Summertown Studios
Fort Collins, Colorado

#84366 - 09/03/10 03:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Buford]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Bob,
Wow another very fine song. Great sound, I really like your voice. (once again, reminds me of Michael Martin Murphy)
A great job in cutting & pasting the RT parts out you want to keep... I know it's not that easy as I've been experimenting with that myself.
My only comment would be to maybe start out the first verse with no fiddle or steel fills and then bring them in gradually. To me they would be more effective if I didn't hear them all the way through from the beginning. Just my .02 cents
Still a great job!

Greg

#84367 - 09/03/10 08:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bob,

I'm totally in awe of your musical talent. Your mixes and performances are first class all the way. This is a beautiful song and your voice fits it like a hand in a glove. Another great work from the Hawgly studios!

All the best,
Noel

Edited by Noel96 (09/03/10 08:16 AM)

#84368 - 09/03/10 08:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Achordocaster]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Hey Greg...thanks for your nice comments. That cut and paste process is really cool for getting a unique performance out of BIAB; it's practically an unlimited source of original tracks. Actually it's not unlike what we do in the studio when we're tracking live performances. I make them record things over and over until they start to obviously hate me...then I back off. Then I have lots of material to choose from. Anyone who's ever worked with an analog studio, i.e. tape, can really appreciate the unlimited instantaneous options you have with digital. Nearly miraculous.

I just recorded the vocal last night around 10PM and I have a rule about not mixing until at least eight hours later. So this is a "kitchen sink" mix...i.e. everything is in there. I like the idea of "building" the mix, starting with sparse instrumentation and adding to a full, phat sound. In this case I'll probably keep the intro instruments, and pull back to basic accompaniment as the vocal begins. It's a proven technique. What do you think about a higher harmony or maybe three-part on the chorus? Sometimes a sensitive ballad, if the lyrics are strong, is more impactful if the vocal is a solo. Solitude and melancholy. Ya know? I think it would be cool if we could take a song and give our forum buddies a copy and let them mix it and see all the variety the would be created.

Man, this is just too much fun!

Bob

#84369 - 09/03/10 08:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Noel96]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Hey Noel...how ya doing down there? Thanks for listening and your comments. I think I slept about three hours last night. Creating music is like giving birth: painfully laborious, lots of yelling and cursing, and then finally something to love unconditionally even if friends and family think your "baby" is ugly. Maybe there's a song there!

Bob

#84370 - 09/03/10 03:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Buford]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Bob.
Absolutely keep the intro instruments & then pull back at the start of the vocal.
I would try a harmony on the chorus for sure... maybe an airy female voice, (not to be confused with an airhead female voice)
I totally agree on the fun of having forum buddies do a mix of your song. Might be possible if your email server allowed a 200 to 300MB download of a .seq file... For me it wouldn't so much be the download, as it would be the upload since my upload speed is like 37KB's.

I can sympathize with your late nights too... I was up till 4:00am last night working on guitar parts & a new song idea, and that was after rehearsing with my band for 3 hrs earlier in the evening.
But your right, it is just too much fun!

Greg

#84371 - 09/03/10 04:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Achordocaster]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Airy vs. Airhead....haha....tomAto, tomAHto. Careful. Seriously a female voice up a third might be nice. Now I just need to find a female. Hmmmm??

I was thinking of converting the 6 tracks of the song to individual MP3 files of around 3mb each. Make them downloadable from our studio site and then anyone could import them into RealBand, Sonar, whatever, and do a remix, output the remix to an MP3 and upload it somewhere that people could hear it. That would work, not sure who'd be interested though. Just a thought.

I was at another studio today. My friend there thought the vocal needed to be a bit more out-front, or up in the mix. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

#84372 - 09/03/10 08:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Buford]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Hey that's a good idea to convert the tracks to mp3 & then import into RB, etc. I'd be up for trying that.

As far as the vocal level... I think people sometimes tend to put them TOO Much out front, so I guess that's something that didn't really occur to me. I thought the level was fine.

As for a female singer, I have a niece in Denver who's a very fine vocalist.
If your interested I'll give you some contact info later. (Although she is a bit of an airhead)

Later,
Greg

#84373 - 09/05/10 05:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Achordocaster]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Well, another top drawer track there Bob. I loved the chord sequences and that tremolo arpeggio in the intro is one heckofa hook!
Yes, maybe leave some instrumentation out until 1:05 when the drums go from sidestick to snare. My head was hearing vocal harmonies coming in on the 'What about love, what about always" words, for the last two choruses.
Enjoy? Yes, totally.

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#84374 - 09/05/10 12:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Buford]
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
That was a real pleasure, Bob. You're very comfortable in your skin - from the writing right through to the mixing. I haven't listened to your other postings yet - usually its the ideal activity for that first morning coffee before my ears get fried with my own musical activity.

I think the lyrics are superb, very strong hooks, overall strong marriage between all elements (except her own relationship ). I agree with Skyline on the harmony lines. In fact a woman harmonizing , or in fact singing the melody, would be a good idea on the three "question" lines of the chorus - I don't think the chorus needs more harmony than that. But on those three lines it would certainly bring the woman "closer" to the listener than only through the eyes of the narrator.
My 2.1 cents Canuck.
And thanks for posting the lyrics.
Ian

#84375 - 09/05/10 03:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Skyline]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Hey John...thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I heard harmonies in the same place you did. I wanted to really drive home the title with two or three part harmony on the "questions" as you said. I've never played with BIAB's harmonizing capabilities. But we do have a TC Helicon Voice Prism in the studio. Might be fun to experiment with some of that. What are you doing with harmonies on your songs? Software? Hardware? REAL people?

You know I really like that tremolo guitar sound but I think I'm starting to use it too much. (Hear my posting "Leaving Tonight" ala Duane Eddy) I especially like it with the Fender Subsonic Telecaster (Hear my post response to "retake" in the SUMMERTOWN post with the link to "Faithless Heart"). It's such a lush sound I love to use it. If I start to become musically "trite" feel free to point it out to me.

Thanks for listening,
Bob

#84376 - 09/05/10 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Ian Fraser]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Hi Ian...good point. I never thought of having a woman sing melody on it. That would put a whole new spin on it. Also, thanks for your nice comments. All great feedback. You're welcome on the lyrics posting link. Kudos to you for suggesting it. I love reading what other people write, and hearing how they came up with their story line and hooks. I think most songwriters are voyeurs of sorts when it comes to other songwriter's lyrics. To me the whys and wherefors are as interesting as the song itself. I'm a single man and dating a lot has given me a huge insight into what women on these dating sites are experiencing these days. My how times have changed. Anyway, that's pretty much where the song came from: A composite of other's experiences as they related them to me.

Thanks for listening,

Bob

#84377 - 09/05/10 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Original Song "What About Love" RT/RD composite [Re: Buford]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Quote:

...What are you doing with harmonies on your songs? Software? Hardware? REAL people?
Thanks for listening,
Bob

I usually do them myself, or I sometimes use Melodyne plugin on a clone of the lead vocal and make some harmonies by just pulling the 'blobs' around. This works well with thirds, for example, but you can't go too far afield in terms of intervals or things sound strange, but kept low in the mix this is a good way to make harmonies.

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac New Features Video!

Want to learn all about the new features in our just-released Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac? Check out our latest video:
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac®! New! All 64 bit program, VST/AU 64 bit plugin, 202 RealTracks & more!

Jump to the feature you'd like to learn about the most by choosing from the table of contents, listed in the video description, or here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Upgrade Today and Save Up To 50%!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac with 64+ new features (64-bit!!!!), 202 New RealTracks, 40 Unreleased RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, "Look Ma! More MIDI!" – 30 MIDI Styles, 12 new MIDI SuperTracks, 240 new Instrumental Studies, 18 new Artist Performances, and a new Xtra Styles PAK 7!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until October 15, 2019 - save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available, or visit this discussion on our Band-in-a-Box® for Mac forum.

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 301-328)!

Listen to all the individual demos here, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video here

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until October 15th!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac.

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac there are a lot of new features, 202 RealTracks, and more. We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from our users. There are several sources, our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

Here is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "Why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019. We hope that many of them are relevant to you as well. And please keep suggesting new ones, we appreciate that.

Q. Almost all of my music apps are 64 bit, as is my Mac OS. But Band-in-a-Box® is 32 bit. And Apple's next OS, Catalina 10.15 is set to be released in October 2019 (the beta is available now), and that won't even run 32-bit apps! Can you make a 64 bit version?
A. Yes, we’ve done this with Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac. The app is 64 bit and the executable name is still Band-in-a-Box®.app (if you have an older 32-bit version it will get automatically renamed during the install to Band-in-a-Box®-32bit.app ).

Q. I have 64 bit plugins that I want to use with Band-in-a-Box®. But they only work with 64 bit apps. Can I use them with Band-in-a-Box® 2019, without having to use any special software for this?
A. Yes, 64 bit Plugins work natively with the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box® 2019. This means you can use your 64 bit plugins, including ones that use huge amounts of memory (more than 2GB).

Q. Does Band-in-a-Box® 2019 work on the latest OS, Catalina 10.15, as that has many changes?
A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box® 2019 is 64-bit and runs great on Catalina (and older OS's down to and including 10.6.8 Snow Leopard)

Q. I like Snow Leopard as an OS (10.6.8), will Band-in-a-Box® 2019 still run on that with all features working?
A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64 bit version runs great on older OS's including Snow Leopard, and has identical features and operation to the newer OS's

See the full list here!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Mac is Here!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Mac is here! These work with the RealTracks & RealDrums in your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile, and are a GREAT addition to your Band-in-a-Box® resources!

Listen to all the great new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: click here

Xtra Styles PAK 7 and all the Xtra Styles PAKs from 1 thru 6 are on sale for only $29 each during our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special! Learn more...

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is HERE!

Attention Mac users...Band-in-a-Box® 2019 is HERE! https://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.htm

There are 64 new features, including our brand-new 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! There's also a new 64-bit VST/AU/AAX Plugin of Band-in-a-Box, which you can use inside your favorite DAW (GarageBand, Logic, Reaper, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Ableton, PreSonus, etc.) to generate styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, Multi-Riffs, etc... AND SO MUCH MORE!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes! video to see the new version in action!
Click here to watch...

PLUS... During our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac release, we're offering some AMAZING upgrade pricing - save up to 50% on most upgrades! Plus, we have a Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons FREE! You can upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK to receive even more NEW Add-ons including up 40 additional RealTracks... that's 242 NEW RealTracks!

Band-in-a-Box® packages: click here

Bonus PAKs: click here

Xtra Styles PAK 7 Demos

Listen to all the great new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 and all the Xtra Styles PAKs from 1 thru 6 are on sale for only $29 each until September 15th! Learn more.

Forum Stats
30041 Members
62 Forums
59995 Topics
505098 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jakeagle, RayBo, gilouleloulou, Vernman, Martin Gail

30040 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 309
zedd 206