Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Has anyone tried the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas with BIAb or Realband? Is it better than the Ketron?

Veteran
Veteran
I have a Roland Sonic Cell and frequent the Sonic Cell forum. This question has come up a lot concerning the new Sound Canvas. The consensus seems to be it sounds a lot like the Sonic Cell without the SC features like the mic and instrument input, guitar modeling, ability to mix mp3 or midi files on it etc for half the price. That means it's a good sounding modern Roland sound module, it has a collection of Fantom and other Roland keyboard sounds and whether or not it's as "good" as the Ketron is a matter of personal taste. I think my SC sounds great and I've listened to all those Ketron demo's Mac posted last year and the Ketron sounds great too. Both are certainly comparable to my Kurzweil and Korg keyboards. When you get to this level they all sound good, it usually boils down to a few certain patches you just have to have and you wind liking one a little bit over the other. It can be very difficult to find that out before you buy one though. It usually takes some time to play with all these different synths to realize that yeah, those strings or that slap bass or a particular trumpet are a bit better on one or the other. Even then, apply some EQ or other effects and voila' one will sound just as good as the other.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
here is a user review

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I was thinking of usng it in a live setting for backing tracks. Considering that you can put all on a USB(like you can with Sonic Cell), it could be a cheaper alternative than sonic cell.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I have a Ketron SD4. I am selling my SonicCell. The SonicCell is killer for funk/fusion etc. but the Ketron natural acoustic sounds cannot be touched. THey are both great units. I would have been thrilled with the Sonic Cell had I not owned the Ketron to compare it. It really depends on what kind of sounds you want. I am a straight-ahead jazz guy, and love the natural sounds of the Ketron. If I were more a rock/funk player, I would gravitate toward the Rolands.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I play tenor sax, clarinet and ewi 4000s wind synth. The music I play are standards, country early rock(50's - 70's), polkas, waltzs, latin. With that knowledge of what I do, would the Studio canvas sound good in the scenario?

Journeyman
Journeyman
I would check to see if it supports Breath Control. That is one thing I will sorely miss about the Sonic Cell.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
The ewi has a synth chip in the instrument and I also have a vl70m. Both have the Paychman turbo chips. I would only be using the Roland to play backing tracks.

Veteran
Veteran
Something to consider regarding the new SD 50 vs the Sonic Cell is the SC has been reduced to $629 on line and the SD-50 is $399. The extra features of the SC may now be worth it to you. Also since the SC has been out for a couple of years, they should be readily available used for probably the same or less than a new SD 50.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks jazzmammal, I never looked at the SC as an alternative. Will have to look intp that before I buy.

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Quote:

I have a Roland Sonic Cell and frequent the Sonic Cell forum. Bob

Could you supply a link to this forum?
Thanks

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
John,

How do you use the sonic cell? Would it work for just backing tracks? My ewi 4000s is nor the usb plug in instrument.

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I have the studio canvas and I like it. If your budget is 400 bucks, the sd50 is a much better buy than the ketron for several reasons which are probably mentioned in the review. If you can afford a little more perhaps the sonic cell is for you depending on what you are using it for. I don't know much about the sonic cell, never used it. I got the sd50 because I needed a replacement for Roland VSC when I upgraded to Win7. I tried the soft synths and still use them sometimes but I really liked the sound of vsc when playing midi files. I'm a sax player that uses biab for background playing in restaurants and private parties. I still use midi files for pop music. I know some guys don't think midi sounds good and prefer mp3's but I like the flexibility of midi files. I've also notice that I like the sound of everything better when I use the sd50 as an audio interface. I know sound is subjective, but for me I can definitely hear an improvement in the overall sound of biab and my midi files when played through the sd50. One nice feature is you only have to use a usb cable to connect to your computer. No midi cable, no power cable. The sd50 is powered by usb, batteries, or ac adapter. I also use it as my backup for my laptop. I've made biab mp3's so I can use the sd50 on short gigs without bringing my laptop. I just load the mp3's and midi files on a usb drive and off I go. Sorry for the long reply but thought I'd try to explain my reasons for owning the unit.

Dell Studio 16 Laptop i7 with 256 gig SSD
BIAB, Reaper, Encore, Sibelius
Roland SD-50
R
Expert
Expert
R
Are there any links to demos for this? I'd like to hear some of the instruments.

R

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
You use a tablet pc, how's that working for you.

Roland SD-50
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Are there any links to demos for this? I'd like to hear some of the instruments.

R

http://www.roland.com/products/en/IT/SD-50_IT/index.html
Roland SD50 Interactive Tour
Click on the 'Sound Check' menu item, I guess this is as close to a direct link as I can get ya.

Last edited by rharv; 09/22/10 05:58 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Could you supply a link to this forum?

Thanks

Roland Clan

Here you go.

Bob

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Just like to post an update about the SD50. During the Christmas season, I play at the local mall for tips and exposure. I pick up a quite a few gigs during the year because someone saw me at the mall during the holidays. I usually use my laptop but this year I'm using the SD50 and loving it! Since I'm only playing Christmas songs, it's a lot easier than carrying a laptop. I render BIAB files as mp3's on a thumb drive and off I go.

Roland SD-50
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195