Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Last edited by Hawgly; 09/19/10 08:37 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Well here's the kicker, this song was written, arranged, recorded, mixed, and mastered...today. Total project time approx. 7 hours. So here's to old Hank wherever he is. Trite? Overused? You betcha! It's classic country, baby!

Enjoy
Bob

That is awesome what you did in a day with BIAB. Kudos to you for doing it. Great job, old Hank would be proud and I'm sure also amazed at this modern technology.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, Dan!....we had a blast creating the song. If it was any more fun I couldn't stand it!

Thanks for listening,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Old Hank, Jr. and Hank III all would be proud.

Great song, mix and your vox is spot on.

Keep them coming.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
My son, who's also our assistant engineer, just came in after listening to this and asked "Are you a freakin' ghost?" I told him I was chanelling Hank. Haha!

Thanks for listening,
Bob

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Now that's my kind of tune. Good job!

JBlatz
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'll drink to that! (burp!)

Thanks for listening,
Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

This is brilliant. It's classic country at its very best. Moreover, the speed with which you assembled this song is breathtaking! Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine doing this. There's no doubting, you are an amazing talent!

My favorite rhyme in the whole song is "soothe me"/"comsumed me" although I'm pretty partial to "drinking/thinking" too. To be honest, my feeling is that it's that drinking/thinking rhyme, set right up at the top of the song, that does a whole heap to create the "classic country" tone of the lyrics. I have a couple of lyric thoughts. Please keep in mind that these thoughts are simply my own personal taste and absolutely no criticism of your work is intended. First: if these were my lyrics, I'd remove "The" that stands in front of "wine and liquor" in verses 1, 2 and 4. That is, I'd begin the 3rd line of each of these verses with simply "Wine and liquor". To my way of thinking, this will strengthen the title and potentially also enhance its meaning. I'd leave "But" in verse 3. Second: there seems to be a number mismatch. Since the song's subject is "wine and liquor", my thoughts are that line 4, verse 1 should say "But now they only make me blue" and that line 3, verse 2 should be ".. have consumed me". As I said, though, just thoughts on my part and you've probably already considered and disregarded these options.

The production sound that you managed to obtain in this song is awesome. It's EXACTLY right. I don't know that it would be possible to get a better fit. Every song you present here in the forums continues to raise the bar for all of us. It's terrific that you're around.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Noel! WOW...man, you really got into this! I love it when people analyze my stuff like this. It's fun to hear what people would do with it. I can't begin to tell you how fun it was to do this song. I got the idea early this morning that I was going to write and record something before the day was over. I knew I wanted to use that BIAB Country Swing style and I knew I wanted it to be as close to an authentic sounding "Hank" song as possible. So when I wrote the lyrics I was sure to put the words with "n" consonents in all the right places most notably on long notes. Really makes you consider your lyrics!

To hear how much you like what we did is very encouraging. Now I will do a full album of "Hank" songs. Actually, I've been wondering how much better it could have been if I'd really put a few days into it. I probably wouldn't change much if I rewrote it, except to make it longer and create a more traditional ending. The "number mismatch" you referred to was intentional. I'm from the part of the country (Louisiana) where Hank and Elvis used to tour and play. I saw both of them in the early fifties as a kid when my parents took me to the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport. It's not a criticism, but an accurate observation that people there actually talk that way...not exactly perfect English. So I figured some artistic (cloquial) license was in order. Haha....hope my mom doesn't read this! The "the"s before "wine and liquor" actually make the word "wine" sing better....at least for me. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your comments, and took no offense and any of your ideas. We do this all the time in the studio when we're noodling around with a new song. It's just part of the creative process. I'm considering converting the separate tracks of this song to MP3's and making them available from our studio website so some of our buddies here can download them and play with recording their own vocals and/or remixing the song. What do you think?

Thanks for listening and your gracious comments,
Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm considering converting the separate tracks of this song to MP3's and making them available from our studio website so some of our buddies here can download them and play with recording their own vocals and/or remixing the song. What do you think?

Bob,

I think that's an excellent idea. I'd love to have the opportunity to play around with your tracks and see if I can work out how to get the mix to sound as good as yours. I'd find that an invaluable learning experience.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob,

Good Stuff! I spent many years playing this kind of music in bars, and Hank would be damn proud.

I'm amazed at the speed with which you did this, (although from what I've heard from you so far, it sure doesn't surprise me!) The song I just posted took me two weeks from start to finish... and I thought I was cookin'.

I think it's good enough to spend a couple more days (or even hours... since it's you ) and put a little more polish on it.

Great Job!

Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

I'm considering converting the separate tracks of this song to MP3's and making them available from our studio website so some of our buddies here can download them and play with recording their own vocals and/or remixing the song. What do you think?

Bob,

Hey, we kinda discussed this in an earlier post and since then I got turned on to this (free) file hosting site that might help some with this idea.
You can even post multiple .wav files to it and then send people a link to download them. Pretty cool. Check it out.

Greg

http://www.mediafire.com

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Greg...thanks for the info. I've created an account with MediaFire and will upload some track files. I'll probably use 128kps MP3s to facilitate download and give reasonably good sound quality. I'll let you know when they're available and how to access them. Howz things wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over there in GJ?

Later,
Bob

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Greg, Noel...and anyone else who's interested:

The tracks for this song are available as 128kps MP3s (approx. 2.5mb/file ) along with the BIAB song files (MGU) used to create this song. The files are generic, that is normalized to 0 DB, no effects, no panning, etc and can be imported directly into Real Band or your favorite sequencer. Line them up at the left-hand index and remix, master, sing, play, whatever to your heart's content. For the hardcore audio nuts out there the 16 bit WAVs will be uploaded later if there's any interest.

Media Fire - Song Tracks

Enjoy,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

This is another great offering from you and another great testimony to the fact that PGMusic products are quite possibly THE BEST choice for rapid-song development software, period!

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hya Pat! Thanks so much. Glad you liked the song. I've owned BIAB for about ten years and it's really taken a quantam leap with RT, RD, and RB, not to mention all the other "toys" that come with the program. I always tell fellow musicians about it, and encourage them to download the trial and give it a run. I teach guitar and banjo and I use it all the time as a teaching aid and to help fledgling songwriters get on a more productive track with BIAB. I'm really surprised how many people have NOT heard about this program. But it's really fun to show folks what it can do. The response is always one of awe and amazement, esp. now with the addition of RT/RD.

Thanks for listening,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I teach guitar and banjo and I use it all the time as a teaching aid and to help fledgling songwriters get on a more productive track with BIAB. I'm really surprised how many people have NOT heard about this program.

And many who HAVE heard about it still imagine it to be the same program it was 5 years ago. That crowd needs to be brought up to date.

I've actually toyed with the idea of striking a deal with the local music store to set up a few saturdays when I will come to the store and demo what BIAB & RB can do. But first they'd have to stock up on the software and on vocal processors, sound modules and midi driven effects pedals. I think once people saw what's possible, they'd fly off the shelves.

(Idea for PGMusic: how about a marketing tactic in which local musicians commit to a certain number of music store demos in a year in exchange for updates?)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That was great. You really channeled Hank on that one.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very cool Bob! Nice job on this. I think you should take a couple more days and maybe flesh this out a wee bit more. I don't think it's under written, but I think it could use a solo spot and a second bridge- maybe even more lyrics with that second bridge to give some more info, and then back to the chorus, and out. It's just needs a little bit more I think. But if you do nothing, it's still great work.

Quote:

HEIL PR40 broadcast mic which we have setup in the podcasting studio. I knew it was great for broadcasting spoken works, fat and rich, but never expected what came out of it for singing. The PR40 is a high impedance mic, not your usual low impedance studio condenser. Still it sounds great. The PR40 runs through a Dbx 286A mic pre and then into a TC Helicon audio interface before ending up in Sonar.

You might try to 'warm' up the vocal just a touch more. I hate the word warm. But it's just a little harsh and could use a cut somewhere to take the edge off a little more. Otherwise, a nice sounding vocal. What does the TC hellicon do for this track, exactly? I'm a firm believer in keeping as much out of the chain as possible, other than eq and compression- no small things, granted. Perhaps it's the helicon interface that's making the vocal sound edgy, I don't know. I never liked a THING with the word helicon in it. You have a good voice. No need to over work it, imo. Could be the verb needs some different eq- not sure. Or it could simply be the eq on the dbx.

One last thing- grab a cymbal sample or something and throw it into the intro on the ones. The cuts are too short I think. Maybe you're hearing a closed high hat on those cuts, but try a soft cymbal crash. It might work better and make it less 'biab' sounding in that one spot.

In any case, great work!

Dan

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Dan...thanks, I'm glad you liked the song. I typed TC Helicon, actually it's a TC Electronic 6 Firewire Audio Interface...I can't keep up with the TC designations. HaHa. If there's some edginess in the vocal it's probably the Dbx mic pre which has a compression feature which was on for vocal tracking. I usually don't add ANYTHING to a vocal when tracking. Still this was an experiment as much as anything. Also I pumped the highs a bit in mastering so that could be part of what you're hearing. To me the vocal is too much out front. But I broke my own rule and mixed and mastered the same day as tracking. Not ever a good thing to do. But actually it was just a fun challenge to write the song in the morning and be listening to a mix in the evening. I've never done THAT before. I'm not done playing with it, however. I'm adding more lyrics, a short instrumental break, a new vocal track, and a better ending to get it up to about 3-3 1/2 minutes. It's hard to sing a song convincingly or effectively that you just learned. I literally created the melody on the fly while I was tracking the vocal

I hear what you're saying on all the EQ stuff etc. Why don't you just download the track files (see above) and SHOW me what you're talking about. I think it would be fun, and I'd love to hear what you do with it. Also, re-sing it if you want. We talked about this kind of thing a while back. Knock yourself out if you're up for it.

Leaving the tech talk for a minute, I'm REALLY impressed with what I was able to create with BIAB and no other instruments or fancy equipment. I have a hundred grand in instruments and audio gear sitting here and I'm recording stuff that sounds as good as anything I've done...ON A LAPTOP! Man...I guess that's what it's come down to. I really believe that a reasonably talented singer/songwriter with a bit of computer skill could do a whole album and get it out there with this software. Amazing. I don't think anyone who hasn't done recording the old fashioned way, like you and I have, can really appreciate the implications and capabilites we have now.

BTW...have you been gone or something? Haven't seen you around here for a bit.

Later,
Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195