Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here's my latest song project (been workin on it the last two weeks) using the BIAB songwriting technique I described in my second project, or the last song I posted "Road Away from Me".

Some info on this song: My son suggested I write a more up tempo rockin kind of song (not the kind I usually write) and use an experience from playin in a band as inpiration for the lyrics.
Not one to back down from a challenge I began to formulate a progression and recalled a recent gig I did in a bar in Norwood, CO in July 2010.
It was rodeo weekend and the bar was packed Saturday night when we got there. Not long into the evening a group of 5 or 6 very attractive young women in they're early twenty's (I'll be 50 in Jan) came in from Telluride an proceeded to have a very large time for the remainder of the evening. Taking pictures with the band, dancing, flirting, drinking. Needless to say, this is like heaven to a guy my age! Hence, the inspiration for the lyrics.
So I guess the song is about a lie based on a true story.

The style is _STHSLD+ tempo 150
All track are RT's except for vocals, a couple rythm guitar tracks, the slide part on the right side and the twin parts at the end are me.
The slide track on the right and twin parts at the end are my '64 Stratocaster ran through a JamVox (cool guitar program made by VOX).

I have my own opinion about how this project turned out, but I think I'll wait to share it until I get some feedback from others.

Hope you enjoy.
All comments welcome.

Greg

http://www.mymusicstream.com/gregachord/song-8407381543986.html

I Can't Handle You                Words & Music: Greg Achord 9/2010

I walked into the bar not expecting that I'd see
Anyone much younger than the years I claimed to be
Then much to my surprise as I looked down from the stage
There smiled at me a cutie probly half my age

She said I wanna talk to you I like guys in the band
Specially when they're older you know that’s just my kinda man
I wanna take you home with me and cover you with cream
Be all your hearts desire and fulfill your wildest dreams

Chorus
I can't handle you / even though you want me  to
I wish I could turn back time / to show you how I was in my prime

Well what was I say hell I could barely even talk
My knees were kinda shakin as she watched me like a hawk
I thought well should I lie to her and tell her that I'll be
Up for everything you've got I'll shake your sugar tree

So what'd I'd do you ask me now cause talk is always cheap
Did this really happen or was I dreaming while I sleep
I really can't remember now or maybe just won't tell
The truth as I recall it is I finally had to yell

Chorus
I can't handle you / even though you want me  to
I wish I could turn back time / to show you how I was in my prime
(Solo)

Chorus
Outro

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Haha...oh man, I love it! Very hot musically, with lyrics to match. If there's one thing I enjoy more than the technical info on song production it's the personal story that inspired the song. We should all add that to our song posts in my opinion. Great job! Keep 'em coming.

Bob

PS: I want to know where that bar is...I'm coming over there!

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Bob,

Thanks buddy. I agree, I love knowing the background on a song.

The bar is called "The Hitchin Post" in Norwood. you go SE from Grand Junction ('bout 100 mi) till you come to Ridgeway, (they filmed the John Wayne movie "True Grit" in Ridgeway ) turn right and go about 35 mi and there's Norwood. Telluride's about 30 or 40 miles to the SSE from Norwood.

It's a fun bar... big dogs layin on the floor, and friendly country folks... With the occasional visit of young attractive females from Telluride! Also a beautiful view of the San Juan Mnt's.

Thanks for the comments. Hoping I can get a few more. Maybe everybody's speechless.

Greg

Hey, here's a link to a facebook picture from that night. I just love a girl with a puppy purse!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Fly...id=304414490325

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Greg! You dawg! FIVE women?! Sheesh! No wonder you have that goofy smile. LOL Gotta love a woman who points her butt at the camera and grins. Puppy dog purse says that one is too young for either of us.

I know about the area you're describing. Been camping/fishing all over down that way. My fav spot is the Red Barn in Montrose. Big 'ol doormat sized steaks. Haha. Next time I'm down that way I'm gonna drop in to the "Hitchin Post". IMHO...the San Juans are the prettiest part of CO.

Keep 'em coming,
Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Bob,

Yea, I had that smile all night! ... And truely, the puppy purse just makes her look younger than she really is!

There was somethin' that just wasn't quite right on this song, so I decided to change the bass track to something more drivin', but I left the 1/2 time bass in the slide solo for some variation. I think it's better now. I might have to re-do the verse vocal too... I'm thinkin maybe I'm a little too far behind the beat in places!

I don't know... Sometimes I tend to over (anal)yze this stuff.

Give it another listen and tell me what you think. I'd encourage other's to chime in too... I can take it!

Thanks,

Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
OH yea...I like this a lot better! Strong vocal. Everything seems tight and right. Like the guitar fills. Is that you playing? Kind of an Allman Bros twin sound. Cool. I overanalyze my stuff too...it's just the nature of the beast. You'll soon get it where you want it and move on.

Nice job!!
Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Bob, I like it better too.

It is me playing all the slide parts on the R side (L side is a RT), and me doing the "ode to the Allman Bro's" twin parts at the end (my '64 Strat through a JamVox program). Played LOT's of southern rock over the years... Always been one of my favorite types of music. We were probably doing two albums worth of .38 Special in the '80's at any given time.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Greg,

I like this version better.
I would suggest that you revisit your vocals and reduce the Lyrics in the parts that seem (to me) to be rushed.
Remember that saying - Less can be More

I like the driving beat and the gritty sound you've got going there.

Best regards
Michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

This sure is a very energetic performance! Impressive stuff. Musically, it's incredibly tight. I admire your ability

I didn't hear the earlier version but I like what you've done with this one: the driving beat, edgy sound is terrific: a perfect fit for the lyrics. I agree with Michee's comments that some of the lyrics seemed rushed. When this happens in my songs, it's usually because I've misplaced a syllable in a word (or single syllable word) and put a strong syllable on a weak musical beat. I'm not sure if this is why I couldn't understand some of your words but it might be worth looking at - just some food for thought. Also, in going from verse 1 into the chorus, I was momentarily confused because I needed to switch positions with what "I" meant (the girl's speaking in the verse and the singer's thinking in the chorus). I couldn't help thinking that it would have helped me if there was something in the lyrics to prepare me like in verse 2 where "I had to yell..." clarified the chorus. These are just ideas that I jotted down as I was listening. Please use them if they're useful or toss them in the trash if they are not

Overall, I like this song. It was a great listen. I'm impressed that it only took you two weeks to get together. When I write songs, I usually spend a lot longer than that. I wish that I could do it a bit quicker!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Michee & Noel,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your kind and constructive comments.

I agree with both of you concerning the verses and I'm gonna spend some more time on them and see if I can't get things a little smoother and less rushed

I pretty much recorded the verses the day after I wrote them, so I didn't really take the time to sing them that much before I started recording. Heck, I think I formulated the melody as I was recording. Sometimes I get a little excited & enthusiastic thinking I can rush something, when I should really just take a step back and "simmer down now"!

My hope is I can get the verse lyrics to flow kinda like they do in the Garth Brooks song "Ain't Goin' Down Till The Sun Comes Up".

Anyway, stay tuned for an updated version soon.

Thanks again guy's,

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

I like your guitar harmonies. You do a very good job of weaving your own musical performances into the mix you've created in BIAB/RB. It's so flawless, it's hard to tell what's real and what's real tracks.

Your energetic style is that of a seasoned performer who has spent time in front of an audience learning how to bring them to the dance floor. That's something that is not usually learned during the home recording process.

In fact your songs offer almost a textbook example of the difference between recording artists and performing artists. A model standing in front of the mirror won't tolerate a single hair out of place, but the same person riding a motorcycle gladly tolerates the wind-blown hair for the thrill of the ride. Your recorded music has the confidence and continuity that is usually only found in a live performance.

Thanks for posting.

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Wow Pat,

What a nice compliment. Thank you so much! I do appreciate it.

Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Hi Greg,

I agree with Michee's comments that some of the lyrics seemed rushed. Also, in going from verse 1 into the chorus, I was momentarily confused because I needed to switch positions with what "I" meant (the girl's speaking in the verse and the singer's thinking in the chorus). I couldn't help thinking that it would have helped me if there was something in the lyrics to prepare me like in verse 2 where "I had to yell..." clarified the chorus. These are just ideas that I jotted down as I was listening. Please use them if they're useful or toss them in the trash if they are not

Overall, I like this song. It was a great listen. I'm impressed that it only took you two weeks to get together. When I write songs, I usually spend a lot longer than that. I wish that I could do it a bit quicker!

Regards,
Noel

Well I just finished re-doing the verse vocals. I think they're better now, (still not completely sure about the first verse ) I also changed the line going into the first chorus as Noel suggested, it now sets up better for the switch to the chorus (point of view )

If you can... have another listen & let know what you think.

Thanks again everybody,

Greg

Last edited by Achordocaster; 09/22/10 09:32 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Did it for me Greg! Great plank-spanking workout, just up my street.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
John,

Hey dude, Thanks so much!

Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Ok here's another song I had trouble with the vocals and the guitar twin parts at the end being just off the beat when I recorded them in RB.
So I brought this song into Reaper and re-recorded all the vocals (added some harmony to the verses too) and fixed the twin part at the end.
I don't seem to have ANY latency problem when recording into Reaper! What a great program... I'm starting to get more comfortable with it as well.

I've updated the file so please have another listen if you like.

http://www.mymusicstream.com/gregachord/song-8407381543986.html

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited by Achordocaster; 10/26/10 02:21 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
That is a rocking tune -- nice slide work, too. Pretty cool! Short, sweet and to the point.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the listen.

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is as good as anything I’ve heard on the radio lately! Great groove, super strong vocals and outstanding chops. EVERYTHING a super song needs! Plus I can relate to the lyrics!

Two thumbs up from “I ain’t as good as I once was but I’m good once as I ever was”

Last edited by MarioD; 11/01/10 03:13 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mario,

Thanks so much for the kind words.

I tinkered with this song and had problems with the vocals & twin guitar part for a month.

It wasn't until I brought it into Reaper and re-did all the vocals, (no latency on the vocals when recording in reaper) plus fixed the timing on the twin parts that I really started to feel good about it.

As it is now... I'm pretty darn happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks again,

Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,183
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01
38,517 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185