User Showcase
R
RodM Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hi everyone,

First off, I've really enjoyed the creativity and talents of everyone who has posted their BIAB original songs. This has indeed been a great pool of software users with suggestions to help each other out. What an awesome program! Who would of dreamed what would be possible in today's world in regards to songwriting and production tools.
Now on to my story. When I was a kid, my BIAB was a Baldwin organ with 16 rhythms. You could even trigger a drum roll with the side of your foot on the pedal! I'm not very good at this stuff but from age 12 until now, I enjoyed writing songs and putting them into album concepts. I remember them all through the years because i would throw them on cassette tapes and write lyrics in books. Except from a few isolated times, I never would play originals in bands plus someone else did all of the singing. I removed myself from music for quite awhile. Recently, I bought myself a computer and software. I've always wanted to record my catalog of songs and see what they sound like (bucket list). My problem is that i work full time and my wife has a lot of "honey-dos" She just "cringes" when I head down to the basement to record. Since I have so many songs I wanted to record and limited time, I decided that I would record rough demo songs to see what has possibilities so these songs may not be as tight on performance and production as other songs you will hear in here. Remember, I'm not a lead vocalist plus I'm a beginner guitar and a "so-so" keyboardist so I am really nervous about even posting anything online.
I organized my catalog into sub catalogs by genre. The first 13 (Classic R&B) genre songs I've posted here. These songs are influenced by Tower of Power, EW&F, AWB, ect. The basic songs was written back when I was 14. When I've recorded them in 2010, I changed the lyrics on some songs to a more updated theme. I also will be posting a country, classic rock and singer-songwriter genre in the next 2 weeks on reverb nation. In time, I'll work both directions from new songs while trying to catalog my old stuff. I don't use BIAB on every song mainly because I'm not sure which specific tracks to incorporate for already written songs. If you hear a track that you believe a specific BIAB style track I could use to replace my part with, let me know. I basically played all the keyboards, guitars, bass, horn and string parts but I used a lot of BIAB parts integrated with me. I will try to add the specific BIAB midi and real tracks but I'm not by my home computer. I'll add them later. Here is my link:
http://www.reverbnation.com/#/artist/artist_songs/1007765

Songs with BIAB tracks:
Another day in the city: MIDI style that uses BIAB bass and real drums. I did everything else.
Anything you say: real track guitar part from smooth jazz tracks
Everybody: MIDI BIAB bass track and drum
Free Your Mind: MIDI bass (sorry for the message of the lyrics from some of you. I write songs on both sides of the political isle)
In the streets (Unemployment Blues): Real track slide guitar solo, real drums, rhythm guitar real track
Magic Bottle: BIAB MIDI bass and drums, BIAB Tenor Sax solo
Something For You: BIAB MIDI bass
Pull the Plug: BIAB real track drums and bass, BIAB Tenor Sax solo

Let me know what you think. Be kind, LOL.

Rod

PS To Steve in Grand Junction, I've also played at the Norwood bar about 4 times. It has been about 6 years ago. I live in eastern Utah about 2 hours from Grand Junction. I like your music.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's quite a collection of songs! I listened to some- very nice stuff. Very creatively done. Glad biab is working for you too. Since I didn't listen to everything in depth, I'll only comment on what I got overall- which is just to be careful when trying to master the songs. The few I listened to were heavily compressed and pumping. One was just plain distorted. It's actually ok if our songs aren't screaming loud like commercial tracks. We don't have to fight that loudness war. It's a good idea to always keep the sound of the track in mind when you're at the controls of that mastering brickwall limiter or compressor. It doesn't take much to hurt the sound of an otherwise fine sounding track, just for the sake of making it louder. And louder can sound fine too, if done by a skilled M.E. with better tools than the prosumer software market offers.

I'll tell you though- you have creative talent and you're assembling your productions nicely. With a little more care how you finish them off, they'll be right on. Great material!

Dan

User Showcase
R
RodM Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks Dan for the compliment and the tip. I really do appreciate that because there is just so much to learn about production. This mastering and mixing stuff is hard. I believe in the old analog days, a person wanted to peak around 0db but with I'm not sure where I should be with digital. Also, there are so many audio plugins. Sometimes I put compression on a bass and also put a multiband compressor on the master. It is easy to over do it! I know I need to take more time and listen to mixes on different systems and in another room than my unfinished basement. I will probably revisit songs and put new parts and remix. Like Frank Zappa said "a song is never finished, just abandoned". I hope I can end up with something good before I "abandon" the song.

Thank you again for the help!

Rod

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

PS To Steve in Grand Junction, I've also played at the Norwood bar about 4 times. It has been about 6 years ago. I live in eastern Utah about 2 hours from Grand Junction. I like your music.

Rod,

I haven't seen a Steve from Grand Junction on here. So I'm wondering if your referring to me, as I am from G.J. and have posted about playing the Norwood bar. (The Hitchin' Post)

I'll check out your tunes a little later when I have some more time.

Greg

Where you at in Utah?

User Showcase
R
RodM Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Sorry Greg! I live in a small little town called Ferron. It is about 1 hour south of Price.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,523
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195