Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob,

That turned out great, nice job. Really nice tone on the steel guitar.
It doesn't get any more country than that!

Greg

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Greg...

Thanks man. Just wanted to let everyone hear how this came out. The steel player is Steve Hinson, a well-known Nashville sideman. PGM did well to get him to play steel for them on RTs. Excellent choice. Actually I'm probably going to have a local steel player create a new original track for this song and we may put it on a new album of original "old time country" we're working on titled "Smokey Bars and Steel Guitars." Stay tuned.

How's things in GJ?

Thanks for listening,
Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

you nailed it! Nothing but praise for this one!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is great, Hawgly! I loved it. Great old-school country.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
John and Pat...

Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

Onward and upward
Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I really like this track Bob. You did a heck of a nice job on it.

The new form though, is tripping me up just a bit. I had some time tonight and rather than just write what I mean, I put on my producer hat and worked out what I think might be a better form to consider. Listen to it- let it wash over ya for a bit. Either way though, this is one heck of a great tune. Very enjoyable! And I hope you don't mind that I took the leap with this. It's your song- I called it your song. I have or want absolutely no inclusion of rights to anything about the song, be it audio or lyric arrangement. Let this serve as a published declaration. I write that disclaimer because the power of audio editing can be quite a scary thing. But I mean it only to be an audible cut for an example.

I'm editing this and taking out the link until you say whether you're ok with me posting the audio Bob.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 10/05/10 09:08 PM.
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Dan...

Your work is always top notch and your input is always welcomed. I'm honored that you took some time to think about this and actually create a new form for the song.

The original song was too short, only a little over two minutes. Basically VERSE, CHORUS, VERSE, CHORUS and out. The new form was VERSE, VERSE, CHORUS, (instrumental)VERSE, VERSE, CHORUS and out. We added the instrumental verse, and a vocal verse, resulting in a full minute increase in song length to about 3:30. So very straight forward and simple form. So I'm kinda confused about what you said was tripping you up. Anyway, your recreation was the same up through the instrumental VERSE, and then you created a 6 line final CHORUS using the original final CHORUS with two lines from the new VERSE in the middle of it. Is this what you intended? It seems "unbalanced" now compared to the first part of the song thru the instrumental. I know you know what the hell your doing, I think I might not be seeing it right. I'll do some more listening. And once again I'm really pleased you thought enough of the project to bother with it.

You da man,
Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
HAHA! I guess I'll post it again. You must have missed my edit where I took it down. I started feeling weird about doing that.

Anyway yes- very little changed. I did only this-

Added cymbals and a kick drum in the intro

After the instrumental, I went to the bridge, then to the last new verse and cut in what came from the end of the songs lyrics. Of course, lyrically it may not be exactly right since cutting it together, but this is the form I'm hearing. Either way it works and I think you hit this one just great Bob.

Here's that link if you want to listen more.

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/listenrm.php?Download=56902

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It’s all been said.

A professional vocal, backing tracks and mix. You have a fantastic voice. You should be on the Grand Ol’ Opera!

Great song!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

It’s all been said.

A professional vocal, backing tracks and mix. You have a fantastic voice. You should be on the Grand Ol’ Opera!

Great song!

Hey Mario...thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed it. I have too many teeth to be an Opry star. LOL But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Liddle-ol-lady-who!

Bob

User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Ive listened to both cuts and I have to say the input by you shockwave seems quite good and I couldnt fault the balance of the song using the bridge after the instrumental break. Even though the intro was just kick drum and cymbals for me it worked quite well and introduced the start of the song much better.Anyway thats the way I see it and hope thats ok.Thanks Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob,
I really like the sound you get with this song.
Very crisp (I don't know how to describe it in musical terms but it isn't insipid or weak)
I for one would like to learn how you do that (although I know a home recording will have it's limitations as opposed to a studio)
I agree with everyone that this is a very good country song.

Keep em' comin'

Best regards
Michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Hi Bob,
I really like the sound you get with this song.
Very crisp (I don't know how to describe it in musical terms but it isn't insipid or weak)
I for one would like to learn how you do that (although I know a home recording will have it's limitations as opposed to a studio)
I agree with everyone that this is a very good country song.

Keep em' comin'

Best regards
Michee

Michee...this song WAS done on a home recording system. The BIAB tracks, which is everything except the vocal, was created on a Dell laptop running Reaper ($40). The key, to me anyway, is a good mic and the tenacity to keep recording until you get as close to the perfect take as possible before beginning to mix and master. The mic I used for vocals was a Rode NTK, about $500 at Musicians Friend. I did TEN vocal takes of the song and took the best performance of each line of the lyric and cut and pasted them to get as close as possible to a perfect take. The vocal was recorded with Sonar Producer using a Mackie Onyx firewire mixer as an audio interface (about $900). Perhaps because I know what "commercial studio" recordings sound like as compared to "home studio" recordings it's easier to create a similar outcome. I really believe it's totally possible to create pro quality music on a home system given the gear that's available these days. I wouldn't hesitate to use BIAB and a home system to create a full CD project for sale to the public. Things have gotten that good for we singer/songwriter types. If you have any specific questions about our recording process let me know. There are no big secrets here.

Thanks for listening,
Bob

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Dan and Frankie...

While I normally welcome recommendations and comments, you guys are missing the point completely. This song was meant as a recreation of classic country musical compositions of the day back in the early '50s. And it meets that goal quite well. Apparently PGM spent a lot of time analyzing the sound of "classic country" tunes when creating the style used for this song. Particularly, notice the use of NON-PEDAL steel guitar as opposed to pedal steel used in much later country styles. Before I wrote this song I went back and listened to over 40 of Hank's songs and analyzed the song structure and the "language" used in creating the lyrics. This music was SIMPLE. The instrumentation was SIMPLE. The language was SIMPLE (and coloquial). The lyrical phrases were trite, unsophisticated, and overused to be sure...but NOT for the time in which they were written. The song forms were predictable and the use of a sophisticated BRIDGE which we are so used to seeing in modern country music was practically non-existent. The "chorus" of this song as I've written it actually incorporates as much of a "bridge" as was used in that era, namely the use of the 2 chord, D in this case. Two perfect examples of what I'm talking about is Hank's "Your Cheatin' Heart" and "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You."

So even though it's very tempting to want to "update" this old style of music using a more modern structure, etc.,that was not my intention here. Actually, I'm completely capable of writing using modern structure styles, and have presented numerous examples on this forum. But once again that wasn't the goal here. So all that being said...why not just enjoy the song for what it is, and consider that not every project presented on the User Forum is soliciting a critique...and I mean that in a good way.

Bob

User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Mmmm I got the message if its just for listening and not giving a critique then thats fine with me but that would include whether I liked your song or not and with that stand point I wont input one way or another in the future OK.Just a thought most people who put up songs do it I believe to get a response. If you are only accepting those who "just enjoy the song for what it is" then so be it.Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Bob,

Am I the Dan you're referring to? I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. In fact, I took your cue saying you were happy that I took an interest. I'll take the song down. I'm not sure what you mean about a modern bridge or structure compared to anything else. All I felt was that coming out of the solo, maybe going to the bridge would work well. That's not modern compared to anything else. It's just a choice. I think you have an absolutely wonderful song. But I felt that it got just a little drawn out coming out of the solo to another verse, then to a bridge, then to the final chorus. I understand studying the older songs. That's a good thing. But then you have to balance that with the song that's before you, and how it's unfolding. Being into producing as well, I think about everything when it comes to an overall production and simply flip things around to see if it's working the best it can. That's not modern- that's servicing the song. But you're right too. Once a song is posted, it becomes a drag to have to field criticism all the time. Been there. When the writer says it done, it's done. I'm probably the culprit with all this. I'm used to a different kind of forum where writers go back and forth about things. I think from now on here, I'm just gonna hold my tongue and say nice song, or not comment at all.

So Bob- nice song!

Dan

User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Frankie and Dan, you old culprit ...no feathers ruffled here. Seriously. I was just explaining my methodology. Although, Dan, you're right about criticism after-the-fact being a drag...and sort of meaningless. To me, the User Showcase isn't necessarily a forum for unsolicited critical analysis, although some folks actually ASK for input. And like you, I have other resources for professional critique, like TAXI.com, where I'm a member. Believe me those guys KNOW how to tear up a song, but their critiques have to be requested. So it's just as you said...we all have our ways of doing things. And though I haven't been here long, I've been registered since '03, it appears that unsolicited critical analysis is sort of assumed here. Personally, I don't offer advice and alternatives to anyone who's not asking for it. Other folks do. That's their option. No biggie. If I don't particularly like someone's work, I don't comment at all. I think everyone's work is valid within the framework of their abilities and experience. But I'll say this, anyone offering me a critique can expect to have their "critique critiqued" if I think it's warranted. It's a two-way street. So, Frankie, I don't expect to only hear the "positive" comments, but if I don't agree with what's said, I'm totally competent and willing to take issue with it.

BTW...as we all know after years of dealing with email, it's very difficult to determine "body language" when one is reading a message. We have to rely on this or this . My messages are often tongue-in-cheek and my written attempts at humor and irony are sometimes mistaken for "ruffled feathers" when it's really nothing of the sort.

Don't you just love that we have such lively and spirited interaction here? It's so...stimulating!

So now maybe I'M the culprit.

Later,
Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Taxi, yes. I was member some four years ago. Too much bread for a middle man critiquing. They never told me anything I don't already know about my work. I could sit and crtique at taxi all day long. I was and I am past needing to pay for that. It's a decent concept, a great community, and a money maker too- let's face it. After a year or so I dropped out. I don't have that kind of yearly budget any longer. Currently cultivating contacts on my own.

All good Bob! And best of luck to you too!

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

I thoroughly enjoyed the listen! In my opinion, all aspects of the song are as professional as they come. You've got a terrific voice. I've got to say that this is one of the best re-creations of period music that I have heard. There's definitely a place in the right film for this song.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Ok final say on this.....
quote "o, Frankie, I don't expect to only hear the "positive" comments, but if I don't agree with what's said, I'm totally competent and willing to take issue with it".

This I totally agree with and if you had stuck to that then no problem but you also said...

Quote " So all that being said...why not just enjoy the song for what it is, and consider that not every project presented on the User Forum is soliciting a critique...and I mean that in a good way".

Now I know how you feel when you put up one of your songs then I will just listen and keep my thoughts to myself whether I like it or not.By the way I was also with Taxi and I queried a song I sent them which the critical analysis was poor.Not about what they thought of the song but why they thought that way which was in direct contradiction to how they critique a song(to long to go into here)
With this song I had a couple of covers in the early 80s even getting on an album which got into the Bandbox top 100.The song was redone in 2007 and is now being held by a producer who is at the moment working with the guitarist Dan Hawkins from the group The Darkness.I know what its like having people critique my songs.Ive had this done by Warner Bros, EMI, Universal and Rondor music who signed me for a 3 year publishing deal in 1977 and even though it was a painful experience you have to bite the bullet and believe in the song when others dont.cheers Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob,
Quote:

Michee...this song WAS done on a home recording system.

Well I'm even more impressed now

Quote:

I did TEN vocal takes of the song and took the best performance of each line of the lyric and cut and pasted them to get as close as possible to a perfect take.

That's very similar to what I do (most of the time)
When recording the vocals, what do you do (do record dry? with compression? with delay? etc etc .)

Quote:

The BIAB tracks, which is everything except the vocal, was created on a Dell laptop running Reaper ($40).

I have just purchased Reaper myself and will probably take months to get my head around the learning curve (only ever used RealBand) so some tips on what plugins you used for each track would be very welcome (as long as it is not a commercial secret )

Quote:

Perhaps because I know what "commercial studio" recordings sound like as compared to "home studio" recordings it's easier to create a similar outcome.

Please give me more information on this, what is the difference? is it more volume, crisper, fuller etc and how do you get a similar sound at home.

Once again very impressed by your sound.

Best regards
Michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Bob,

Cracking job on a cracking song! Loved it.

Wish you every success with it!

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Buford Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Songman...glad you liked it. Thanks for listening!

Bob

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I could see that song in the bar scene in George Strait's movie a few years back "Pure Country"

Nicely done!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195