Print Thread
Go To
#91234 11/15/10 09:48 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have an Edirol PCR M80 controller connected to my laptop via USB. My Ketron SD2 is connected to the PCR M80 via midi cable. When I select the correct midi IO ports from BiaB or RB the Ketron plays correctly into my mixer and then to my laptop soundcard input.

Everything works fine except I cannot figure out how to play the keyboard without BiaB (or RB) running. As long as the laptop in on, which it has to be obviously, all midi data originating from the M80 goes to the USB midi port and only returns to the controller thru port when an application is open.

So, can anyone recommend a freeware app that will let me play the controller without BiaB running? Or is there another way?

Secondly, does anyone know how to access the ketron upper banks in RB? Is there some equivalent to a *.pat file? I'd like to access them by name as in BiaB.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Veteran
Veteran
Ketron patch map can be found here, along with the rest of them-
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have the patch map for BiaB but does it work for RB? If so where do you put it? Does it go in the c:\RealBand\ folder?

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Veteran
Veteran
If you go to the link RHarv provided and download the file, you can download the zip file. One of the files in the zip contains the instructions for installing to BIAB as well as RealBand (well, it might be PowerTracks, but the process is the same for PowerTracks and RealBand).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

...can anyone recommend a freeware app that will let me play the controller without BiaB running?

A good freeware called "MIDI Device Connection Center" is available from Musiclab.com

It has worked well up to Win XP, which is as far as I have got.

Larry
______
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I see. Thanks. I have the BiaB patch map from somwhere but never got the patches.ini for RB. Should be easy now. Thanks to rharv as well.

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Larry. That does look like it might do the job.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Paul,

The MusicLab thing will hook your keyboard to your computer and back to the SD2 again, so you can get synth sound. I find it useful for testing MIDI setups. But the little program won't change sounds for you, and the SD2, I suddenly realize, has no controls to change patches on its own. You could be stuck playing nothing but Patch 1 Piano, with that rig alone.

So you may find yourself better off using RealBand for a "host" and always playing the SD2 through that. It is not an unusual way to work. Though I gather this idea irks you at the moment, it does have advantages -- like absolute control over a MIDI module and all the effects.

Larry

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That PCR M80 just might send the corresponding MIDI patch data when you use its patch selection buttons.

Therefore, when hooked directly to the SD2, via software loop or directly, you may well be able to select at least the GM bank from the keyboard's controls. Well worth trying.

A faster method than using software looper is to simply disconnect the USB connects at the MIDI cable end and use one MIDI cable to go directly from keyboard MIDI out to Ketron MIDI in.

Ralband and Powertracks use a different Patch Map format than Biab. Both files are published on this website in the Patch Map area and both should be downloaded if you want to use your SD2 with both programs. Read up on it, they are two different format files that install differently in each proggie. Both are thoroughly tested and work with each program, though.

In RB you must rename the existing file and then drop the new one into the folder with RB shut down, then start RB up again.

--Mac

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Larry. I understand that I'd have to change patches from the controller. A bit inconvenient but it should work. Meanwhile I'll search the net some more. I'm sure there must be a freeware app out there somewhere that will change patches and banks as well.

Mac #91244 11/16/10 10:07 AM
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Mac. Re-cabling is another option but I'd prefer not to do that if I can find another way.

As for the patches.ini file, I read the instructions and it makes sense. I just don't know how I missed that in the first place. Age maybe? hahaha

I feel like I'm out of my depth with the Ketron SD2. I picked one up and have it connected and working. But, I don't know what I can do with it. I like some of the sounds I get from it, but others bother me. A case in point, I would like a good tuba sound, but what I get from it is a staccato rendition that is most unpleasant. Is there something I should be doing to get a more appropriate tuba sound out of it?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I feel like I'm out of my depth with the Ketron SD2. I picked one up and have it connected and working. But, I don't know what I can do with it. I like some of the sounds I get from it, but others bother me. A case in point, I would like a good tuba sound, but what I get from it is a staccato rendition that is most unpleasant. Is there something I should be doing to get a more appropriate tuba sound out of it?

Sounds like you might only be using the first 128 patches in the General MIDI bank.

The Upper Banks might have something that better fits for you.

Download the Patchmap for BiaB from the PGMusic Support page and install it into the bb folder and learn how to use it, if you haven't already. The BIAB FAQ page can help you learn how to access the Upper Banks.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195