Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well the story just got complicated.

Musician's Friend sent the wrong guitar. I got a Fly instead. I called and they said I have 45 days to decide if I like it or not.

To get a deal on a more expensive guitar would sound like a good thing, but I like the looks of the DF and the pickup configuration of the DF better. And they no longer have a light colored DF in stock.

So now I don't know what to do.

I'm bummed. I'll sleep on it.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You want what you want. Don't settle, even if it is for a "better" instrument. (Do you really think it was an accident?)

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
My thoughts too Bob. Unless the guitar exceeds your expectations in all forms: sound, playability, ease of use, and aesthetics, I would tend to, at that price, get what you really want. Parker builds a quality instrument so that part isn't an issue.DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Wrong guitar?? Wow, MF is unbelievable!!!

Of course, if this was happening to me, I would be elated, because I like the fly better, but only because of the neck. I would also be the first to state that the switching and pickup configuration on the DF is slightly more versatile than the fly, qualities that you have stated as being very important to you. The question now becomes, will you like the neck on the fly so much better that you will actually prefer it? Some folks do, some folks don't. Another thing to keep in mind is that the neck on the fly tends to keep it's "slick" feel regardless of temperature and humidy. Sometimes, this can make a big difference on open air gigs.

Anyways, sound samples please.

Later,
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Which model of the Fly did they send you? Here's a quick list at MF:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigatio...CFUbf4AodW3txWw

Considering the HUGE price difference, you would think MF would be insisting that you return it, so that part of your situation is kind of weird.

But since they're giving you 45 days to decide, I'd play it for a few weeks and make sure before I sent it back. You could have just lucked out big time, ................ but if it's not what you want, you won't be satisfied even with a guitar that costs over twice as much as what you ordered.

I just wouldn't rush my decision.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm not going to rush my decision. I immediately told MF what they sent me (it's a "do unto others" thing with me) so they know I have a more expensive guitar. I am shocked that they didn't offer to send me a postage paid return shipping label and ask for it back. I also e-mailed them this morning.

I played the FLY for about 5 minutes unplugged (I haven't unwrapped anything so that if they come to their senses, they can still sell it as new) and the neck is indeed like butter. But the pickup configuration isn't what I wanted and the color is too dark.

So now I'm in a wait and see hold for a while. I have other guitars to play, and although I had my heart set on playing the DF this weekend, it isn't going to happen no matter what I do, so this morning I'm feeling more rational about the entire ordeal.

If they want it back, they are more than welcome to send me a return shipping label. If they don't perhaps I'll put it up for sale. I haven't made any permanent decisions yet.

This is the first time anything like this ever happened to me. I immediately did the ethical thing and informed them of their mistake. Now it's up to them. I can wait.

What would you do?

(I'm still bummed that I can't play the DF this weekend)

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Costs way more than what you ordered?

They gonna let you keep it at the lesser price?

No brainer in my book.

Enjoy,

--Mac

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Which Model did they send you? I'd keep it if it works well for you. You haven't tried the one you wanted yet so, maybe this was fate.
Wayne,
(maybe post a picture)

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The probable reason why they let you keep this guitar is that the Fly is a special order item. I think they had it made for a customer, but somehow ordered the wrong configuration or color. So they're kind of stuck with it. Better to sell at a lower price than a complete write-off.

Personally I like the Fly better (judging on looks only; we don't get too many Parker guitars here, so I have never had one in my hands...)

You have spent a reasonable amount of money to get a certain instrument you desire. If you have set your mind on a DF and you really want that instrument, then you'd better make sure you get a DF. If you want a Parker guitar and have settled for the DF because a Fly is simply too expensive....... you lucky son of a ..: you've got one now!!!

BTW: we expect pictures of your new axe!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Get what you want . . . period! Just my opinion but I think the fly looks like something from a Harry Potter's movie. As rharv says, "now get off of my lawn!"

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's a real dilemma.

I've done the right thing and let them know of their mistake. So if I keep the guitar, my conscience is clear. So I'm in a wait and see mode right now. I'm not playing the Fly so if they want it back, it will be in like-new condition.

The Fly is unquestionably a better guitar. It is truly state-of-the-art. It's like ordering a Celica and getting a Lexus. I should be thrilled. On the other hand, with my present guitar skills it's like owing a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store and back (which I wouldn't mind doing).

On the other hand,
  • I like the pickup configuration of the DragonFly better, it seems more versatile
  • I like the fact that I can swap pickups on the DF - I might want to swap the humbucker for a P-Rail down the road to give me the choice of single coil, humbucker, or P90 sounds
  • Unless I'm doing an outdoor gig, I ususally wear black on stage. I also play sax, flute, wind synth, vocals, guitar, parcussion controller and sometimes keys on stage. Swapping instruments is good "show-biz" and the dark walnut guitar with no inlays on the fretboard will just not be obvious on stage

I have 44 more days to make the decision. In the meantime I'm trying to find another DF/Nat.

If I sell it, I think it would pay for most or all of what I bought the DF for. So it might be "manna from heaven".

I'm still undecided.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes,
I respect your decision to notify them and keep everything honest.

I've read that in the past some unscrupulous mail order companies would send more expensive items than people ordered, then try to charge them the difference, so a law was created to protect the consumer. If what I've heard is true, they can't charge you more or even ask for the more expensive product back. (if they could it would put the consumer in a perpetual limbo of never being able to sell the item for fear that the seller would want it back).

If they sent it in response to your payment, it's yours if you want it. You can, however, elect to ask for your money back and return it.

I suppose you could also sell it, buy the guitar you really want and pocket the difference. It would be more hassle than the transaction you wanted to make, but at least you would be "compensated" for the hassle. As a professional musician you probably know a number of people who would be interested in a boutique instrument.

All this is hearsay... you may want to research consumer law to make sure of the rights you have in Florida. But I feel pretty sure that the ball is in your court on how to move forward. By sending you the more expensive guitar, they implicitly agreed to take a hit in order to process your order. Your move.

Not a bad position to be in.. much better than if they had sent you a cheaper instrument by mistake (or on purpose)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
how much does it cost to have a guitar refinished?

or better yet, you're a businessman.. here's an idea for a niche market:

how about inventing and selling a line of fabric guitar covers that can be changed to allow performers to match their instruments to their outfits?

I notice somebody has created the "car bra" which is a fabric cover for the front of autos to keep the bugs from messing up the finish.

You could call your product the "Guitar Bra" or the "gui-tarp" or the "LeoTar" or something else that contains the word "Norton" ;-)

Fabrics can be anything, the possibilities are endless. Find a local seamstress, give her a template of your guitar, and see what she comes up with. If you like it, maybe you can work out a business plan.

From a distance, all the audience sees is color, they don't know or care if it is paint, stain, plexiglass, polyurethane, formica or fabric. AS you've said in the past, "It's show business"... color is a part of the visual show

It might take off. You've expressed a valid consumer need that nobody else addresses. It's too expensive to buy guitars in the color of every outfit. A velcro slipcover for guitars... hmmm It's just trendy enough, different enough and useful enough to pique consumers' interest. Musicians are a creative group, and creative types tend to accept new ideas more readily than other consumer demographics

You could be your own poster boy by using your product onstage. Every performance would be an advertisement. You already have a website in place to take orders.

High school kids playing in garage bands could buy a Norton LeoTar and paint ther band's name on it without ruining the guitar for resale.

It would also serve as a protective covering, which would appeal to people who like to keep their instrument's finish looking like new.

You could probably brainstorm a hundred reasons why everyone who owns a guitar should also own your product. The potential market (ie. "everyone in the world who owns a guitar") is a very large market indeed.

Totally untapped.

yet.

;-)

Last edited by Pat Marr; 11/23/10 11:35 AM.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob, this is a very sweet deal, I agree with others to give it a try. But, if as I stated earlier it does not meet or exceed your expectations, let it go. You have three excellent guitars in your stable right now, so I don't feel it is a question of needing a quality, playable instrument. I still kick myself for either selling or not acquiring a guitar I found to be a really, really good fit for me. For example I have always wanted a Gretsch Hollow Body or Tennessean but I haven't found the right fit (feel) and price range. I don't need one, I just want one but I can wait. Good Luck in your enviable position!DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Notes,
I respect your decision to notify them and keep everything honest. <...>

Thanks, Pat. It's the way I would want to be treated.

And thanks for the tip to check consumer law.

Although it is probably a good idea, I don't want to get into manufacturing "guitar-bras" or anything like that. The software business is great because the sales and shipping happen automatically by the shopping cart (with the exception of PayPals) and I can spend my time writing new styles.

I remember the early days when I would burn a floppy disk, put it in a purchased mailer, run off an address label, drive to the post office, wait in line, and ship out the day's orders. Ah, e-delivery has spoiled me

I found another dealer that has the guitar I want, at a good price so I bought it. After hearing my tale of woe with MF, they are even throwing in free 2 day shipping!

I have 44 days to decide. I've both called and written an e-mail to them. Phone operator says keep the guitar, I got an auto-responder so they got my e-mail. If they don't answer, I'll consider the Fly mine to do with as I please. I'll give them plenty of time to respond though. I want to be fair with them.

I know that everybody makes a mistake sooner or later. If a company makes a mistake, it has the opportunity to either make a friend for life or lose a customer forever. When I make a mistake (for example, send out fake disk 10 instead of style disk 10) I tell the customer to keep the wrong disk, and then immediately send out the correct disk. Giving them two disks for the price of one. Of course, I didn't pay for the software I created with the exception of royalties for fake disks. Perhaps this is my good "karma" times a thousand?

Last night I was bummed that I didn't get the guitar that I wanted. You know how it is, you pull the trigger, wait for the shipping, and when it finally comes, it's like Christmas. Well I opened the present and didn't get what I wanted, and I had my heart set on playing the new guitar at our gig at the Yacht Club this weekend.

Of course, these feelings pass, and today I'm looking at it as a possible opportunity. If MF doesn't want it back, I can sell it and recoup part or all of my investment in the DragonFly. And since I both phoned and e-mailed them, I can do it with a clear conscience -- which is very important to me.

I have 44 more days to decide.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Wouldn't the MIDI function of that guitar come in handy for your shows and making fake discs?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Bob,

Wouldn't the MIDI function of that guitar come in handy for your shows and making fake discs?

Perhaps, but from what I have read, there is some latency involved in the MIDI guitar, and that would absolutely drive me crazy. But I have to admit, I haven't thought about that until you mentioned it, and now I'm seriously thinking about it.

Hmmmmmmmmm...........................

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Bob,

I bought a Casio MIDI Guitar back in the 80s. It was the greatest. The latency wasn't that bad and was easy to get a handle on. Also MIDI Guitar has to have come a long way since then.
That old Casio was hard to set up for six string to six channel, but single note playing with all six strings on one channel was super.
I loved using a piano patch and I used to play endless piano solos.
You do have to be a very accurate picker.
Alas, it was lost in a flood here also.
I looked at a buch of youtubes of MIDI guitar players. They just seemed to like making noise. You can do some really good stuff with it.
(my personal opinion, based on old technology)
Give it a try. If it works for you, you'll have a ball.
Wayne

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Bob,

Perhaps, but from what I have read, there is some latency involved in the MIDI guitar, and that would absolutely drive me crazy. But I have to admit, I haven't thought about that until you mentioned it, and now I'm seriously thinking about it.

Hmmmmmmmmm...........................

Notes ♫

regarding the making of styles and fake disks:

I have noticed a difference in the realism of a midi guitar patch depending on which controller I use to record the notes. If I play the notes on a keyboard, then apply a guitar patch, the end result does not sound like a guitar to my ears. But when I record the notes with my midi guitar, THEN apply the guitar patch, I do hear a difference... It sounds more like a real guitar to me. Apparently the guitar controller picks up MIDI nuances that are not generated by a keyboard.

In fact, after doing it both ways, when I download a midi file I can usually tell what controller was used to record the guitar part... it's that obvious . (You may want to conduct your own comparison test)

I have seen the same thing reported in various music forums by others when they first get a MIDI guitar and start applying patches to the tracks created with it. Part of what you sell is realism. Depending on how your comparison works out, creating styles with guitar parts recorded on a midi guitar could be value-adding.

Regarding latency... that's come a long way in recent years. If the midi signal is created in the same way as in the Godin guitars, it's probably pretty good. What I read about your guitar leads me to believe it probably is.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 11/24/10 09:20 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Although it is probably a good idea, I don't want to get into manufacturing "guitar-bras" or anything like that. The software business is great because the sales and shipping happen automatically by the shopping cart (with the exception of PayPals) and I can spend my time writing new styles.
Notes

I totally understand. I never really expected you to embrace the idea. I'm just one of those people who delights in thinking up things for other people to do.

;-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,685
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200