Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Josie, somewhat. The laptops generally have a slower hard drive and throttled-down CPU routines, so they would be worse candidates for eliminating the +/- files.

I'm not as familiar with AMD specs; I use only Intel boards and CPUs, dating back to the days when some music programs only ran on Intel chips. Perhaps someone here like rharv can comment more on how powerful your machine may be, relatively speaking.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Make a backup copy of the original Realtracks folder and then give it a try.

Works fine here, both on laptop and desktop, both older AMD II driven, running XP SP3.

The caveats are there beause there are lots of slower machines out there in the world running XP (or 2000, or...).

--Mac

Mac #95215 12/05/10 02:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you Mac, Matt, and John.

Last edited by Sundance; 12/05/10 02:57 PM.
R
Expert
Expert
R
In RealTrack Preferences, if the Use +/- RealTracks box is not checked, you are using the new engine. Performance will be equivalent to deleting the +/- file. If no problems, it is 'safe' to delete the +/- files.

Again, make sure you have a backup

R

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Rachael. That makes it easy to try it out.

Veteran
Veteran
At times if I have "fast generation" checked I'll have dropouts. Not always. I just leave it checked and see what happens. It appears that if you get a style close to the tempo you'll have no issues of course this sort of defeats the purpose somewhat. Nice to use a 120 BPM style on an 85 BPM song.Just uncheck "fast generation"

Veteran
Veteran
Everybody, take another look at Rachael's post, 3 above. This is an elegant and simple way to test whether you should delete the +/- files. I think that box was unchecked by default in the early versions of 2011, and has remained so. Would someone who just purchased 2011 please verify that the box comes unchecked by default?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
+1 on what Rachael posted.

like Matt says,

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Good eye rachael

Last edited by rharv; 12/05/10 07:24 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
The Use +/- RT's was unchecked be default on my new install of BIAB 2011. I do not yet have the Real Tracks (hopefully Wednesday or Thursday, Tuesday would be awesome) but I am deleting the old +/- files away. I've recovered 57GB of space.

Now, let's see if they work.

And, yes they do work, very well, even without the new RTs.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Veteran
Veteran
Good, now we know for sure the checkbox is unchecked by default. Thanks, Gary. That means, if everything sounds good, one can erase the +/- files (after making a backup, to be safe).

Veteran
Veteran
Update. So far it all works ok. I followed Rachael's advice and haven't pushed the button yet. The cpu usage meter is quite fascinating. It seems mine varies around low 40's to high 50's when playing a BB file of all realtracks with bpm at 104 and tracks that are native 120.

The odd thing is running Realband when I click on "select and generate real tracks" and the list comes up the cpu meter maxes out - but I believe this has been going on before the upgrade even tho I wasn't watching the cpu meter then.

Veteran
Veteran
I recall that Peter Gannon recommended that the CPU% stay under 60%, and if it does, then you can safely erase the +/- files.

I don't know if that means some 100% peaks are OK - your description of "maxes out" - but I doubt it.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Hi Folks,
I'm pretty sure you can try the new stretch feature first. Go to the realtracks settings menu (ctrl + rt icon sax)) and tick both--use speed up generation of realtracks and --high quality tempo/pitch stretching--. Untic --use +/- Realtracks for generation --. Then open an all rt demo and generate it-noting the time it takes. then change the tempo 25 or 30 and generate again. On my machine it takes around two seconds longer on average if I don't go too far from the original tempo.

For example, I loaded Brent Mason RKMDMB2 which took about 8 seconds to start at 120, about 9 seconds at 140 and about 13 seconds at 60. These are all acceptable to me but maybe not to someone else. I'll probably use it this way for awhile and if I don't encounter anything worse than that, one of these days I'll hit the +/- button and erase all the pre-stretched files.

Later,
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

The odd thing is running Realband when I click on "select and generate real tracks" and the list comes up the cpu meter maxes out - but I believe this has been going on before the upgrade even tho I wasn't watching the cpu meter then.

Same here and yes, it's always done that here also. :>)

Jim

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

In RealTrack Preferences, if the Use +/- RealTracks box is not checked, you are using the new engine. Performance will be equivalent to deleting the +/- file. If no problems, it is 'safe' to delete the +/- files.

Again, make sure you have a backup

R

OOPS
Looks like I should read a little more before posting. Oh well, maybe someone can use the ctrl + click RT icon tip. (it's from help and who reads that anymore. lol)

Later,
Jim

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I guess I'm dense, but with all the discussion of shrinking real tracks, it's not clear to me as to how, why, and when one needs to "shrink". For example, with hundreds of tunes playing under 2010.5, many of which use real tracks---does that mean that you need to shrink these songs/tracks before loading 2011? Or after? How many steps are involved? Can you have some tracks shrunk and other not? For those who've gotten the new upgrade, is this process explained, or does one have figure it out on their own? I was hoping that installing 2011 would do all of this automatically---for the new tracks and those already installed. I just hate clicking around the program once it's running good. Because I always screw something up.

Veteran
Veteran
I think all of your questions have already been answered in this thread alone, except for the question about "shrinking songs" used in 2010.5. Songs should not be affected.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
If you have plenty of spare Hard Drive capacity, then leave well alone. My working installation uses an internal drive dedicated to RT & RD which was becoming full. Reducing the size of the files has saved some 60 gigs of storage. So far I have experienced no problems using the program. My backup is on my PGMusic external drive which has not been changed in respect of Rt & RD files.

Veteran
Veteran
I use RB for live playing but as a point of reference look at my computer specs in my signature.
I could not use BIAB to play live with this computer with the new engine and the +/- files being deleted.With "fast generation" checked playback is VERY unreliable. With it checked I'd drink too much beer while the song generates.My point is if you have a lappy and it's specs are not considerably better then mine be very careful playing live.
One option though is to freeze all your songs.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195