Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
1] C7+9 (diminished whole tone scale) chord tones are C E G# Bb D#

2] C7#4 (Lydian dominant)

3] Half diminished chords (C Eb Gb Bb) (I think this one is a minor flat five chord - m7b5 - to BIAB?)

thanks

Zero

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Expert
Expert
Hey Zero, you can type C7#9 by inputting Cn, C7#4 by inputting C9#11 (a more correct way of identifying that chord), Half diminished chords can be entered by simply putting an h after the root name as in Ch.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
thanks bob but I dont understand which chord is which in your explanation.

The half diminished chord is Ch this I understand.

1] C7+9 (diminished whole tone scale) chord tones are C E G# Bb D#... Did you say the C7#9 is this chord, this would have a dominant 7th and a #9 but no raised fifth??

2] C7#4 (Lydian dominant) Are you calling You are calling this a C9#11.. it has an extra ninth sound is this as near as you can get (its not a real problem I know but its slightly different). I dont know what you mean by 'a more correct way of identifying that chord'. I see (from a saxophonist point of view, the lydian dominant scale - whith no special ninth empahisis) but this is for piano which I am now learning. Maybe I pick hairs...

thanks

Veteran
Veteran
Zero, this is why I've always hated the "+" because it's ambiguous.

The chord you are spelling is X7#5#9.

You are also getting into X7alt territory, since in a 7Alt chord, neither the fifth nor the ninth is natural. X7#5#9 is one example of X7alt, and is more precise, but you might try experimenting to see how you like the variations X7alt will give you.

Also, as Bob said, you may enter the half-diminished chord, which is Xm7b5 as "Xh", but that's only because BIAB has a number of pre-programmed shortcuts and h is one of them. You may also simply type it as it is, Xm7b5.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

1] C7+9 (diminished whole tone scale) chord tones are C E G# Bb D#

Here your given chord tones do not match your fake chord.

The plus sign there would likely infer a C7add9 or in some notations, a C7#9.

Either way, there would be no #5, or the 9 wouldn't be sharped, as there is only the one + designator.

I know that if you handed me a sheet with that on it, I'd likely be grabbing a C7aug with a straight 9 appended. Because I tend to read the + sign as meaning, "Aug" or augmented.

Whenever you need to enter a certain chord in BiaB, the forum is not the best -- nor the fastest -- way to find out what you can enter.

The Help File, Search feature, and search for "Chord List" is one way, but I prefer the little dropdown windoqw at the lower RH of the Chord Builder window.

And here it reports to me that BiaB will accept C7#5#9, which accomodates all of your spelling above.

I often prefer to enter C7alt for a chord like that, letting the player (or in this case, the algorithm) decide whether of not to # or b the 5 and the 9, a rather common jazz practice, but this also depends on the song or at least where in the progression the chord is placed. Hey, its jazz.

Quote:

2] C7#4 (Lydian dominant)

Gotta think like a Jazzer and gotta use that Chord Builder inside BiaB.

It is the "#4" nomenclature that is kind of out of the common jazz fakechord compendium here.

Matter of fact, it would throw me for a sec if I had to read that on a chart, simply because we generally think of the Flat Five - same note, but never thought of as the Sharp Four. Thinking of it as the Flat Five is what turned jazz around at a certain point in the history of jazz.

And BiaB will accept it as C7b5.

Quote:

3] Half diminished chords (C Eb Gb Bb) (I think this one is a minor flat five chord - m7b5 - to BIAB?)

That is correct and BiaB will accep;t it as m7b5 but you can save time by simply typing the shortcut - Ch - the h appended there stands for "half diminished" and will yield the m7b5 in BiaB.

And start making the use of the Chord Builder dropdown list a part of your routine when trying to enter chords for a song.

Have Fun,

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
When people start talking about exact chord extensions it's really a waste of time because Biab is going to play what it thinks is appropriate according to the style anyway. Heck my guitarist and myself won't come up with the same voicing if a fake book chart says Eb Alt. It could be anything. One of us fine, but two chording instruments faking that? If it's a song I don't know I tend to ghost those and let it go the first time around at least so I can hear it, then maybe I'll add something for subsequent choruses.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Zero, (and to be redundant – Zero, so may I call you Zero?),

Quote:

Maybe I pick hairs...

You’ve picked quite a few hairs with this one!

Good Lord man! What kind of music are you playing? LOL! The Notes of C-E-G#-Bb-D# give you a C7#5#9, or a C7+5+9, and obviously BIAB won’t accept these, unless it’s included in the 2011 release.

With C-E-G#, you’re obviously in Aug. territory. But when you try to incorporate the other two notes, it opens up numerous possibilities. But when you throw in 2#’s and 1b into trying to name a chord, it further complicates matters.

I opened another music program I have and manually entered the notes, (and I had to use A# instead of Bb, since the program won’t allow you to use #’s and b’s in the same chord), and came up with the following:

E7M/5-/C
C9+/5+
A#7sus4/5-/C, ……………………. and the list of incomprehensible chords goes on and on.

A good chart for chords can be found here: http://www.silvergray.com/moneychords/Chord_Glossary.pdf

If you’re looking for backup chords, just focus on the first three, or maybe 4 notes of the chord, and maybe BIAB can come up with something for your needs. But if you try to throw really weird 5 note chords that are rarely used at it, BIAB will do what most, (if not all), programs will do and say …………… WTF?

Edit ...........................

P.S. Mac sez

Quote:

And here it reports to me that BiaB will accept C7#5#9, which accomodates all of your spelling above.

So I may have typed all of this for nothing! I just found it to be a challenge to figure out what you were looking for. I was typing while Mac responded. Damn, that was a lot of thought put into something I'll never use again!

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 12/06/10 05:00 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob. I gave Zero the correct spelling of his chord, after I saw the error that was suggested.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
It's 0 squared.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

I didn't catch your earlier post.

Quote:

The chord you are spelling is X7#5#9.

You are also getting into X7alt territory, since in a 7Alt chord, neither the fifth nor the ninth is natural. X7#5#9 is one example of X7alt, and is more precise, but you might try experimenting to see how you like the variations X7alt will give you.

Also, as Bob said, you may enter the half-diminished chord, which is Xm7b5 as "Xh", but that's only because BIAB has a number of pre-programmed shortcuts and h is one of them. You may also simply type it as it is, Xm7b5.

I wish I had noticed it. It would have saved me a lot ponderin'. I normally don't have to think about music theory past triads and the various Maj and min 7th's, so it was good practice.

Oh well.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Firstly thanks for the support guys - this is a good site for 'proper' musicians

(Strictly) For those that are curious:

The Tune folks is Soul Eyes and I am working from an Aebersold transcription which I know and love, for sax - this time though I am using it for piano

Here are the orginal chords with the BIAB equivalent chords below in bold in key of C minor are:

C-/ G7+9/ C- /F7+4
Cm/G7#5#9/Cm/F7#11

F- /Bb7+9/ G half dim/ C7b9
F- /Bb7#5#9/ Gm7b5/ C7b9

Ab maj/A half dim, D7b9/
Ab/Am7b5, D7b9/

First repeat:

G maj/ Db7+4/Gb / F- Bb7/Eb maj/D half dim G7+9/
G/ Db7#11/Gb /F- Bb7/Eb /D 7b5, G7#5#9/

Second repeat:

G half dim/C7b9/F-/Bb7+9/Eb maj/ D half dim G7b9
Gm7b5 /C7b9/F-/Bb7+9/Eb / Dm7b5, G7b9

For those interested, after I posted on the basic Rhythm changes I have been working real hard on them and can now improvise fairly fluently using scales and chords using roots, thirds fifths ,7ths, ninths and diatonic runs in Bb. I intend to take the Rhythm changes through 12 keys and have just started working on the changes in C.

I need to add more exotic color to my playing, so I have picked this tune Soul Ees because it behaves in such a beautiful and unpredictable way and is slow! I hope to get some really good voicing learning from it.

trouble is every time I hear it I want to get the sax out!

In part this is also a lesson for me in entering changes into BIAB, I know that there is a BIAB version of Soul eyes on my hard drive but I want to learn how to do this from scratch.

Hope the chords are right now.

Any tips on how to approach such exotica gratefully received!

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi again folks I reread Mac's post maybe the #4s are 'really' flat 5s (but the do appear in the lydian of position i.e. fourth tone)

OK so I am going deeeeeeep so this way we learn

The song sounds good using BALFRED Jazz Bal w Pno FGredguit at 70 bpm

very Mal Walden

Zero

Veteran
Veteran
Zero, about the F7+4 chord, you wrote that the BIAB equivalent is F7#11. While this would seem to be correct, Bob pointed out in the first reply that BIAB will not accept that chord. It must be entered F9#11. Then Mac explained that it might be better to write F7b5.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, it is likely that either choice would work, as long as there are no definite clashes with a melody note involved.

Because it is Jazz.

Now that it has been clarified that the drill is from one of the Aebersold studies, that #4 nomenclature makes a bit more sense. Jamie is likely using it to provide clarity for the learning improviser, making it a bit easier for them to deal with the concept theat the Lydian sharps the four. After a bit of time and practice, that wonderful gray stuff between the ears will be able to deal with the notion that the Flat Five is "the same thing" even if calling it that isn't exactly sound practice as regards classical theory. Abbreviations like that are common in Jazz music transcription, though.
Anything that makes it an easier transcribe, or at least an easier read or copying job seems to have evolved. It is likely that the evolution may even continue somewhat, only time will tell and Fake Chording is indeed still very much a living language, as it were.

You will learn a LOT from the Aebersold stuff if you stick with it.

And using BiaB for the Aeberold is so much more flexible than just using his accompaniment recordings.

As for the Rythm Changes, great to practice them around the circle in all keys. For jazz practice, I have my students go around the circle BACKWARDS such that the keychange shift is always in 4ths rather than 5ths. C, F, Bb, Eb, etc. This is called, "backcycling" and is used quite a bit in certain jazz situations, such that the motion in 4ths can be learned at the same time as the actual improvisation over the changes. May as well familiarize the ears with hearing that motion at the same time, economizing your practice time towards efficiency.

That said, concentrate on two keys for the Rhythm Changes a bit more than the other 10.

Bb and Eb.

Those are the two keys most encountered, "on the bandstand" for the Rythm Changes, although, as with any other Jazz practice regimen, any song learned should be practiced IN ALL KEYS as you are doing. That builds ability and confidence to handle improvising over the many instances where a song changes key on the fly. Like in the 2-5-1's found in so many wonderful tunes.

And speaking of the 2-5-1's -- Practice the 2-5-1 drills with BiaB as well as the Rhythm Changes.

Straightahead,

--Mac

--Mac

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Mac I thought you might know the Aebersolds. I have about 50 of the CDs and have used them extensively on sax. I dont find them so good with keyboards - BIAB is king here. I can play many standards on sax, but this is not the same as playing keyboards of course - more than one note at once.

thanks for your input folks appreciated.

Zero

Veteran
Veteran
It was nothing.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199