Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#98949 12/23/10 03:20 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
One of my few complaints of Real Tracks was that in the jazz swing/bebop styles, the Acoustic bass was somewhat "busy" for my taste. Being a pianist I found them often to be overplayed. I have always preferred the driving, but simpler styles of bassists like Ray Brown and Paul Chambers etc.
I was therefore pleased when I saw that in the summary of changes for build 313, I read...

* Added: 'Simple' and 'very simple' variations made for "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140"
* Added: 'Simple' and 'very simple' variations made for "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085"
* Added: 'Simple' and 'very simple' variations made for "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190"

I presume this means I can substitute the existing bass parts(of Neil Swainson) with a simpler variation.
If this is the case can someone please tell me how I can access these into my current jazz styles?

Mal

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Mal,

In the RealTracks Picker, you'll see the [Simple] and [Very Simple] variations listed along with the regular ones, so you can just right-click on your bass track and select Add-Remove RealTracks etc.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Andrew
This is a feature I was hoping for :-)

regards

Mal

Veteran
Veteran
A lot of these *bass* type RealTracks are listed with *guitar* type RealCharts in the RealTracks Picker. RealCharts often don't reflect the bass lines played.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
sorry
totally my fault

Last edited by rharv; 12/23/10 05:23 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The "Gt" type RealCharts means that it shows accurate tab. If the Bass has that designation, it *should* show up fairly accurately on tab and the guitar fretboard window. If you found one that's marked as 'Gt' but doesn't show accurate tab, it was probably accidentally marked that way...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the clarification, Andrew.

There are, however, quite a few bass type RealTracks that just don't show correct bass notation here. Check out Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Balld Sw 085; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190 and others.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

sorry
totally my fault

I knew it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
It's rharv's fault? Wow. That's been a known fact since beta 1 build 2. Or was it 1?

LOL

John Conley
Musica est vita
Expert
Expert
I have been complaining long and loud about those complex-rhythm base lines, for exactly the same styles as Mal mentions - i.e. for all jazz styles on acoustic bass. Mal is a bit more tactful than I have been when he says, "the Acoustic bass was somewhat "busy" for my taste". John Conley was amused by my previous comments when I said I could not find '1" but I thought I was being kind. I also said that I listen to the bass for the chords and I know that is also the case with many other jazz musicians. It is very difficult to hear where you are amongst a flurry of doubled and grace notes from the bass. When I read the notes about 2011, I was encouraged to think the problem had been tackled. Maybe it has?

After reading Andrew's comment in this thread, I again went looking for the "Simple" swing styles. All I can find that looks anything like that is:

Bass, Acoustic, Bossa EV 085 (A:Simple)
Bass, Acoustic, Pop Waltz, EV 085 (A:Simple)
Bass, Acoustic, Samba, Ev 190 (A:Simple)
Bass, Acoustic, Samba, Ev 085 (A:Simple)

There are no "Very Simple" bass styles listed as far as I can see.

I am running 313 BETA

I am looking in the "Name" column in the Style Picker. Maybe the 'Simple' 'Very Simple' note is somewhere else?

What I need in Real Track (Have needed for a long time!) are some SWING four-in-the-bar SIMPLE OR VERY SIMPLE rhythms (B: mostly, I guess, because I do not often use two-in-the-bar) at all tempos from 70 to 280. Because that is what jazz is all about for me! Pretty please.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Quote:

All I can find that looks anything like that is:
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa EV 085 (A:Simple)

No, those aren't the ones. Try downloading and installing the patch again - there was a fix. For example, you should see "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140 [Simple]" (provided you already have the normal "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140" installed).

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
I did the update, and the simple - very simple realtracks are all in the N/A list, as missing st2 etc.

*edit
downloading new patch, didn't see that

Works here now, thanks Andrew

Last edited by rharv; 12/24/10 07:13 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
Try the new 313 Beta, it is working.........;)

Rob de Klerk, Dutch singer-songwriter
https://www.robdeklerk.nl

Biab 2023, Cakewalk, N.I. Komplete 14, Win 10,64, Ozone 9 elements suite, Presonus studio 24c
Veteran
Veteran
Plus the waltzes are back, for lack of a better term.

And a few years back there was massive moaning and self flagellation over the fact it was a jazzers program.

Ha, now the Rock styles have the lead, followed by the country styles, and THEN the Jazz styles.

I'm having a fit and might need a Whaaaambulance.

Hope you can use this now to have a right hooley.

John Conley
Musica est vita
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Martin,

Quote:

There are, however, quite a few bass type RealTracks that just don't show correct bass notation here. Check out Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Balld Sw 085; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190 and others.

I spot checked "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing 140" and it looks quite accurate to me. What is the date of your C:\bb\RBass012.ST2 file? If it's older than July 2010, you don't have the updated version. The following Bass RealTracks were updated with Band-in-a-Box 2011 to show accurate bass notation/tab. Installing the 2011 program should give you these...

Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 140
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 140
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 085
Bass, Acoustic, Samba Ev 190
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 085

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Andrew,

I did install the shipped version of BB2011 over the BB2010.5 folder on my PC ... and the file \bb\RBass012.ST2 does have a time stamp of 12th March 2010.

The time stamp of this file on the shipped HD version BB2011(311) shows 8th July 2010. The installation procedure seemingly did not update the file \bb\RBass012.ST2. I thus copied the newer version manually from the shipped BB2011 HD to the BB folder on my PC ... to no avail. The notation does not look correct here for the RealTracks you've mentioned, viz.:

Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 140
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 140
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 085
Bass, Acoustic, Samba Ev 190
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 085

Interestingly the shipped version BB2011(311) has *no* RealCharts for these RealTracks. It appears that your patch 313beta seems to add those RealCharts ... seemingly incorrectly here. Do the RealCharts of these RealTracks look ok on your system? They don't on mine (Vista).

Martin
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hmmm... Yes they look good to me.

At the moment, not sure exactly what's going on there, but will look into it further...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Martin, did beta 313 affect the GPF issues you were having on exit, using the German language setting? I put some adjustments in there that I hope will fix that bug.

We tried duplicating your issue with several English Windows PC's, running German. But no one could duplicate the issue. So it may require an actual German Windows install, rather than an English PC running German.

So the fixes I made are "theoretical" in nature, since I couldn't directly duplicate the bug. I just have my fingers crossed that it will actually do some good.

James Chandler Jr
http://www.errnum.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, James, the GPF issues are thoroughly gone by now. Thanks for fixing this nagging issue for German users -> There's nothing more practical than a good theory ...

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Martin. Thats great to hear it did some good.

James Chandler Jr
http://www.errnum.com/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195