Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#99918 12/30/10 09:54 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi all,

I just wrote another new song called Distant Thunder, and thought I would share it with you. All the instrumentation is RT/RD. Hope you like it.

Distant Thunder

I hope you all had a very Blessed Christmas, and I wish you a very Happy New Year!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Hi all,

I just wrote another new song called Distant Thunder, and thought I would share it with you. All the instrumentation is RT/RD. Hope you like it.

Distant Thunder

I hope you all had a very Blessed Christmas, and I wish you a very Happy New Year!

Steve

Hi Steve, I really enjoyed this song and you have done an exellent job with the story and music.

Bless you and Happy New Years
Brian

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Brian! Glad you liked it. Blessings to you as well!

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Very nice production and vocal. Overall excellent work!

My Music
Read My Blog

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Very nice production and vocal. Overall excellent work!

Thanks Robert! Have a blessed New Year!

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,

Great singing, great production, great arrangement! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your song. It's got a terrific vibe. What realtracks did use? I haven't stumbled across these ones yet!

Happy 2011,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice arrangement,

Good job overall..........

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is great work! I would have liked to hear it lift to a definitive chorus and even a bridge, but it sounds good and the vocal is great. Keep up the good work- I think you have some serious potential- most especially in that vocal. Very good vocal.

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The only question I have is “why aren’t you signed yet”?

This is fantastic! Great vox and backing tracks.

Well done!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice fresh feel to this one with that acoustic rthm gtr.

In response to DAn's post, I quite like the way the piece builds organically without any firm chorus/bridge in the structure - a bit U2 like. But I agree with Dan there is some pretty serious potential here!

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

Steve

I really like your songs. Excellent vocal, mixing and mastering.

Could you elaborate a little on which styles you have used, I believe you have blended different styles and instruments - I do hear the new "Celtic" style.

Thanks for sharing

Jan

JROM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for your kind words, Noel!

Quote:

What realtracks did use? I haven't stumbled across these ones yet!

I used...
1190-Bass, Modern R&B Rock
Drums-Smooth Jazz Poppy (I think the drums with the droning Celtic guitar are what really set the tone for the song. I liked the "clean" feel this new RD gives.)
1304-Guitar Acoustic, Celtic Reel
680-Guitar Electric, Rock Brit Soulful
832-Guitar Electric, Alt Country Moody
1263-Piano Pop Shining Sync
686-Organ Pop
and throw in a little 669-Slide Guitar Easy Southern

Thanks again, and hope you have a very blessed year!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Toucher! I appreciate the encouraging words!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dan & Marc,

Thanks guys for your input, and all the kind words!

I thought about building the song more with chorus/bridge, etc. But in the end decided against it so as not to lose the focus of the song. Also, I kind of would rather have you asking for a little bit more, than have you wishing it had less.

Thanks again!

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Mario! You are too kind! (But if you know anybody interested in signing me...)

Hope you have a very blessed year!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Jan, thanks so much!

In my reply to Noel, i listed the RT/RD instruments I used.

I generally don't pay as much attention to the style (NOT that the style is not important), since I pretty much only use RT/RD.

When I arrange a song, I spend a lot of time playing around with different groupings of instruments until I find the right cohesive blend that I am looking for. I try not to limit myself by preconceived ideas of what one instrument might sound like with another (unless I just really know up front). Sometimes you can come up with some pretty delightful combinations.

Anyway, with all the new RT/RD available to us, it's a pretty exciting world for us songwriters these days!

Hope you have a very blessed year!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Dan & Marc,

Thanks guys for your input, and all the kind words!

I thought about building the song more with chorus/bridge, etc. But in the end decided against it so as not to lose the focus of the song. Also, I kind of would rather have you asking for a little bit more, than have you wishing it had less.

That's ok too Steve. If this is the way you want the song to be, then that's the way it will be and it's a nice tune regardless. It's a good sounding track with a better than average vocal- much better. Put it this way; in cold hard terms of scouting, I'd say the song- forget it. The singer- GET HIM. That's the kind of vocal you have there Steve. Just know that is your strength at the moment and it's a big one. In case you didn't know or didn't fully appreciate that fact, I'm here to tell you and I know what I'm talking about. The strength of your vocal alone can open up doors for you if you try. Match up your song writing ability to that vocal and it's just cream on the cake. No one says you must be a fantastic song writer. And I'll let you in on a secret- with that vocal you don't need to be. People who can't sing all too well or just don't have that certain something BETTER be a good song writer. People who have your vocal potential don't need to write anything. Just hand them good songs. That's what I'm getting at. My advice- persue recording work. You could be a demo singer in Nashville at least, and an artist at most. I kid you not.

Far as song writing, this particular song needs more writing to make it bloom. You can keep the focus of the song and have it branch out to chorus/bridge too. Doing so is strength in song writing. Not doing so is not realizing full potential of the song, and not helping your song writing potential. I've said many times to myself through the years- this song of mine is done, can't imagine anything more, the focus is solid, but with a wee little reservation of those feelings. Know what? Every time I was wrong. When I have even the slightest of question, I know that I truly realize something isn't quite right. When I finish a song and I have no more question about content and form, it's done and it's right. And that happens, oh, 50% of the time. That percentage grows though,like building muscles. It does so the more you write and the stronger you get at it. So call this one done. But next one, push yourself more. The listener and the powers that be don't want to be left wanting more from a song. They want to be completely fulfilled within that 3 to 4 minutes and then if they want more they can replay it. Not an easy task for any of us, but we keep on trying, right?!

I've gone against my descion to just say 'nice song' and that's it, with my post here. I generally get flammed for saying much more. But flames be damned- you deserve the attention. Ya got skills Steve. Looking forward to hearing much more from you!

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, great song and awesome vocal! Great job!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,
Cool arrangement. Excellent use of RT's, mixing, and sound. Your voice has a wonderful tone and a youthful vitality that I really like. Your mic and mixing technique capture it so well - sweet. Altho this song doesn't move me as much as some of the songs on your cd. (Which imho you should link to in your sig. ) I enjoyed the listen very much. Keep up the great work.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dan, thanks again for your input! I appreciate your honesty. Constructive criticism is always a good thing, so you don't ever need to feel bad about that. Right now I am pretty satisfied with the song, but if any more inspiration comes (or perspiration), I will gladly make changes. I also don't expect every song I write will be a Grammy winner. But I do get a great deal of joy from the creative gift God has given us! And I do think that is what it is really all about. That is not, however, to say that I am lazy about my craft. I do work at it, and will continue as long as I am able.

Again, I do appreciate your kind words, as well as your words of wisdom.

Hope you have a blessed day!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199