Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In the wake of this whole 'competition' thing coming to an end, I started thinking about why people share their own personal work on here. What are your incentive, drive or motivations for sharing?

There's only one thing to do in crisis like this - Sleep on it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
what " whole 'competition' thing coming to an end"?

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The question is not "why", it is "why not?"

... and there is never any competition. PG music has awarded free upgrades based on community participation and uses of BIAB -- not on who has the best songs.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The reason to share songs is to get some feedback and ways to improve studio techniques.Very valuable in my opinion. Disadvantage is its an extremely small community and virtually no one outside the forum has a chance to hear it, unless you put it on youtube or release a cd, which needs to be advertised.

In my opinion a good way is to put a song on youtube, not a lot of hits usually mean not a very popular song whereas a song with a good few thousand views and a good number of shares will give you a feeling that you are doing something right.

I have gone off soundcloud because I think the listener nowadays is looking for a visual as well, and in my opinion any video is better than none at all.

Would probably have been better to have started this thread in the off-topic forum.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/23/15 11:15 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Icelander,

there are probably as many different answers to that question as there are people posting songs.

Here's my guess from the perspective of somebody who lurks but doesn't post.

At first most people probably post as a lark. Some may post to see if they win a free copy of BIAB... but whatever their original reason might have been, I think most people end up posting because the forum has become a place where friends get together after work to fellowship in a variety of ways around the topic of music... specifically, music created with PGFMusic software.

If not for the friendship aspect, forum activity tends to die off. We are fortunate here to have a bunch of people who are natural encouragers. I dare say everybody feels welcome here, and appreciated. If they don't, they choose not to, because the forum certainly does not send critical vibes to anyone as far as I can see.

Some people in other forums are very protective of their creations and don't want to post them publicly for fear that someone will steal them and get rich. But I think the general consensus here is "good luck with that"

This is one place where a song writer can get a guaranteed global audience for his/her music, get good feedback from knowledgeable other song writers, form relationships with other talented people, and be respected and liked by a lot of people who didn't used to be friends, but now they are.

I think those are all really good reasons.

Off-Topic
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Icelander,

there are probably as many different answers to that question as there are people posting songs.

At first most people probably post as a lark. Some may post to see if they win a free copy of BIAB... but whatever their original reason might have been, I think most people end up posting because the forum has become a place where friends get together after work to fellowship in a variety of ways around the topic of music... specifically, music created with PGFMusic software.

If not for the friendship aspect, forum activity tends to die off. We are fortunate here to have a bunch of people who are natural encouragers. I dare say everybody feels welcome here, and appreciated. If they don't, they choose not to, because the forum certainly does not send critical vibes to anyone as far as I can see.

Some people in other forums are very protective of their creations and don't want to post them publicly for fear that someone will steal them and get rich. But I think the general consensus here is "good luck with that"

This is one place where a song writer can get a guaranteed global audience for his/her music, get good feedback from knowledgeable other song writers, form relationships with other talented people, and be respected and liked by a lot of people who didn't used to be friends, but now they are.

Well said...

The Atlantic Alliance lives
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I just want to know what other people think of them.
Appreciate constructive criticism! Cheers.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Icelander,

Spot on, Pat
- Carolyne

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Icelander,

Second that, Pat!
You write the poetry right here on the reply!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm curious as to why this wasn't posted in the "other stuff" forum grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
request has been made to have it moved to off-topic

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Because so many of the people this was meant for don't ever go to many of the other forums. And I really do think it's ON topic here.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
request has been made to have it moved to off-topic
I wouldn't know how to 'move' an entire topic and entries of a thread. But if a moderator wishes it to be (re)moved and has the tools to do so, of course I won't dispute. I've got many sensible & valuable answers already as it is.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree, this is OFF TOPIC... this forum is for posting the songs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks to whoever moved this thread to OFF TOPIC!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Because so many of the people this was meant for don't ever go to many of the other forums. And I really do think it's ON topic here.

Here are the guidelines for that forum, as posted at the very top of the user showcase ... (note the very last item)

Quote:

The User Showcase is an area where users of PG Music products (e.g. Band-in-a-Box or RealBand) can post links to their original song compositions, for others to listen to.

The songs must be originals, no copyrighted or "cover" songs. You must have all of the rights to the songs.
Start a new thread with each new song post. Don't add new songs to an existing thread.

With the posts, please provide:

Link to the song (it is not hosted on our site, it is hosted on your site).
Title and background information about the song.
Indicate which tracks were recorded by you, and which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.
If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used. (tip: In Band-in-a-Box, the Song Memo contains the names of the RealTracks used, and you can copy/paste from that.)
List other programs used in the production (Sonar, Cubase etc.)
Describe what effects were used in the production (reverb, auto-tune etc).

Please limit the threads on this forum to the User Showcase postings. Off-topic threads will be moved to the off-topic forum

This basically means that ALL threads posted to this particular forum must be songs, not discussions (regardless of the topic's application to the forum)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+1 on what Pat said.

Personally, I post my musical efforts here, being assured of fair and honest criticism by highly accomplished fellow musicians/songwriters, without fears of being flamed by snipers far less qualified than I.

Posting them here is like auditioning them before friends and family. I know, sans pain or tears, if a composition is worthy of more honing or amending.

I have never yet seen a posted song flamed by PGers. We have had a few trolls over the years but when they recognize the knowledge, wisdom, and talent assembled here they soon fade away.

OP, strive to be a bigger part of the PG Family and you'll worry less about plagiarism.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have not posted song links in a while as I have been in the process of completing a CD of the first batch and not writing as much. Plus I am in a dry spell.

I post because I respect the people here who are better writers and players than I am and I welcome their feedback. I may be in the minority but I do NOT appreciate people blowing sunshine up my arse and telling be how great a song is when I know it pretty much stinks. There are those here and everywhere who will do that thinking they are protecting the writer's feelings. I prefer the truth, and 99% of the people here offer that truth.

Even my pal Kevin who always says there is too much reverb! grin

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I have not posted song links in a while as I have been in the process of completing a CD of the first batch and not writing as much. Plus I am in a dry spell.

I post because I respect the people here who are better writers and players than I am and I welcome their feedback. I may be in the minority but I do NOT appreciate people blowing sunshine up my arse and telling be how great a song is when I know it pretty much stinks. There are those here and everywhere who will do that thinking they are protecting the writer's feelings. I prefer the truth, and 99% of the people here offer that truth.

even when the comments err on the side of what was RIGHT with a song... there's something to be learned from that too.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

even when the comments err on the side of what was RIGHT with a song... there's something to be learned from that too.

Perhaps..... the folks listening do not have the chops yet to figure out what is lacking in a mix or prefer NOT to get into that sort of discussion, or as Pat suggests, they like a song but perhaps don't exactly know how to properly phrase what is "right" or "wrong" about it..... so they simply say, it's a good song and that they like it. I will sometimes limit my comments and simple say... Good song and leave it at that.

I know that many folks here are beginning and many do not yet use a DAW or the advanced tools that some here do have and use. Knowing that, I try to pace my comments based on where I perceive the poster's skill set to be. I also try to be as encouraging as I can be and I do not comment on every song that gets posted here.

I want to be encouraging to all that I end up commenting on their music. I try to phrase things in a positive manner.

As some of you know, I don't often pull my punches and prefer to give it straight as I hear things and often, someone else hears the same things and agrees. You don't learn if you don't think you're doing anything wrong.

I appreciate the "atta-boys" but I really appreciate the folks who say, hey nice work ... but... the bass was too strong or too weak, the singer was flat, the fiddle didn't work in that part, the lyrics are not flowing smoothly, and other assorted comments and crits of the music. That's how I learn. Often, these are things I'm aware of, but get lazy and either didn't fix them or thought no one else would notice.....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 196