Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Maybe, but perhaps PICNIC. grin

Near enough grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
2bSolo -

My base computer is a Dell Special Edition XPS. The Intel 7700K processor has been over-clocked a bit to a constant 4.6MHz. My over clock speed is limited by thermal issues and without going to water cooling or more, I cannot run it stable past the current speed...although there seems to be quite a noticeable performance increase at 4.7Ghz, I just can't hold it steady there.

With 4 RAM slots the computer can handle 64Gb but I think that the 32 that I have is more than needed. The memory is 2400Mhz DDR4. When my music system is running, I'm typically running 7 to 8 programs at once and rarely see more than 12-15% memory utilization. Have looked at increasing the memory to higher frequencies but think I'm at a point of diminishing returns.

In all honesty...is it fast? Yeah!...on test programs, test loads, etc. On everyday stuff...I guess..more so than my previous computers. But the biggest bang for the buck is SSD drives...no question about that. But my own experience here is that while your computer and programs will start faster, I'm not so sure they run will noticeably faster with SSD's.

YMMV

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks, Jeff. Sounds like a great system.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
MountainSide, sorry to jump in like this.
One of the biggest annoyances for me in BIAB is rendering times... Since you have a beast of a machine, can you kindly share how long your complete song re-generation takes if you have all 7 slots with RT/RD? Very curious to know.

Thank you,
Misha.

Expert
Expert
PS on overclocking .... very popular with (graphics intensive) gaming PCs, but IMO not really nescesary with a modern (silent) audio computer, especially if you leave it on day and night like in a lot of pro-studios. Why? your computer wears out sooner due overheating etc. Fans running full speed wear out sooner too. - F

Veteran
Veteran
Overclocking with an audio production machine? No. I value stability over an ounce of extra speed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Interesting question Misha. I never tried to time this before, but this machine is faster than my other two.

Here's how I set this experiment up. I selected 11 previous songs at random that I have worked on. I unfroze the styles that I had in the original song and selected a new style at random. Hit the stopwatch and "Generate and Play" button at the same time and ran the time until I heard music. I typically add RT solos to my 3 verse songs on the entire 2 chorus, in those songs with a RT solo regeneration seems to take longer.

Here are the results, with number of RT's listed first, then the regen time in seconds.

3 - 2.9
5 - 5.2
5 - 7.2
5 - 5.5
5 - 11.2
5 - 5.6
5 - 4.7
6 - 7.2
6 - 6.8
6 - 8.7
6 - 9.2

I really don't know how this compares to anyone else's regen times. It's definitely faster than my other 2 Intel i5 systems. Those systems both had programs on SSD's and secondary 7200 rpm HD's for my RT's with 12 and 16GB of memory respectively. There is a difference between the number of cores and threads on i5 versus i7 but I'm not clear on how BIAB handles those.

As others have stated, overclocking is not for the faint of heart. It will definitely void any warranty that you my have, your system will run hotter and at higher voltage; likely shortening the computer's life. You really have to run very long stress tests to be sure that your system is stable and can handle this playing around. I'll typically run stress tests for 24 hours straight or more.

In my case, I'm a technician and came into music because of the technology not the other way around. I'm sure that explains my tendency to tinker and my lack of music theory which many folks here are expert at.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Jeff,
Thank you for running the tests!
I am guesstimating that adding a soloist tracks, regeneration will take 10 seconds on your machine on average.

I have 7600U which is 2 cores compared to 4 cores of yours. (M.2 SSD and 16gb Ram...)
7 tracks take an average of 12 seconds on my computer... 2 re-generations=full Windows startup (time-wise)

One thing that I forgot to ask, and I am guessing here... you have the UltraPak, not Audiophile edition of BIAB.

A bit sad to see such long re-gen times on such a monster of a computer. I was hoping that doubling processor cores would speed up things significantly, but difference is not that impressive. As I mentioned in other post, I believe it takes so much time because BIAB goes to original file sources every time to gathers files for re-generation instead of loading active group of RT/RD to memory. So, the long times in re-generation depends more on SSD Random access speed... and not as much on processor cores or ram amount.

Jeff, thanks again!

Misha.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, I have the UltraPak. Actually, in most all of my songs I add a soloist track. Only that 3 track song is without the soloist. A full windows startup on my machine from a dead off (not sleep or restart) is 12-13 seconds. I attribute this to the SSD not so much the processor.

Possible point about BIAB going to original file sources for a new style regens. My RT's are not on my NVMe M.2 but are on my secondary 7200 rpm mechanical. Have thought about getting a larger NVMe to put all RT's on, but as I mentioned, I think that I'm at the point of diminishing returns and I've probably pushed this rig as far as it can go.

Personally, I think that I've done as much with the hardware side of the equation as I can now. Any further improvements, at least in my humble opinion, would be of the software side of BIAB's code and implementation.

YMMV

Jeff

Veteran
Veteran
"Any further improvements, at least in my humble opinion, would be of the software side of BIAB's code and implementation."

+1

Jeff thank you for your time and tests!

Veteran
Veteran
Rustyspoon, you asked if he had the ultrapak or audiophile edition. For purposes of speed tests, the audiophile edition has a slightly faster regeneration time because BIAB doesn’t have to uncompress the RealTracks first.

Note - this assumes you didn’t make WAV files out of WMA, which the program allows but normally makes little sense because of the huge storage requirement.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Matt.

I know. Here is the thing. I will say upfront, I do get the "freezing" concept and I use it where it needs to be. However, my "re-generations" and renderings take about 1/2 time of tune making in BIAB. I am talking hours on each project, just those "regenerations". It does add up.

My UltraPack lives on internal M.2 SSD, it seems that a much faster computer does make some difference in cutting regen time, but not eye popping difference.

Misha.

Expert
Expert
I guess the big baddie is the wma to wav rendering. Considering the price of the Audiophile version coming on an external USB 3.0 drive INCLUDED versus the wma only download 'model', and the coming upgrading to 2019 deals, you might be wiser to follow that route instead of building a speed monster. Built an i7 5930K 3,5 GHz ASUSx99 system four years ago, and killed all the Windows 10 bullshit; it is still fast enough. About 3-5 secs rendering time for a BIAB RT ridden MGU. Biab internally installed on a separate 2TB SATA drive.

Veteran
Veteran
fiddler2007...
"Biab internally installed on a separate 2TB"
not a solution for me as this year it (audiophile) will most likely increase to 1.75TB, so a single internal (I can only have one HD) 2tb SSD would not do it frown
And larger ones cost a small fortune.

If PG had an option of "send your own drive" it would save users $100 or so on purchase of SSD or offer that option themselves (to ship it on SSD)...

options, options...

I rather see them change code slightly, to reflect modern computers, so active stuff happens in memory, not through original source to destination every generation.

Expert
Expert
a good old fashioned SATA3 drive is quite fast these days; with externals you'll have more problems as gradually slowing down USB transfers ... even if you have a separate controller chip per bus as i have ...

R
R
Not buying any more spinning drives, buried too many of them + my comp.takes only M.2. internally.
USB 3.1 C gen2. / Thunderbolt 3 looks promising for external connection, but to find out for sure have to spend a lot of money. Audiophile upgrade + 2tb external SSD... at that pace of spending, I will become hunter & gatherer pretty soon smile

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

I rather see them change code slightly, to reflect modern computers, so active stuff happens in memory, not through original source to destination every generation.

There's 100+ gig of RealTrack audio 'chunk' options available when regenerating.
This is with the smaller WMA files; WAV is larger yet.
You want this to happen in RAM? I don't follow.
In order to have all RTs available for regenerating it has to look to some kind of storage that is larger than RAM .. or are you thinking it should load all options for that one style? (this may still be too large for many systems)

Or maybe I misunderstood your idea (?)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon
....Not buying any more spinning drives, buried too many of them + my comp.takes only M.2. internally ....

I 'burried' a Samsung SSD pro 250GB recently, after 3 years of intensive use only ... got some really old IDE spinning drives still perfect ... F

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199