Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the tip and the kind words, Matt.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The only reason I started explaining RB is because the reason you started this thread about Mixcraft or Reaper was you were having problems with RB. To me it's logical to look at the underlying reason for a question as well as the question itself.

You'll notice nobody has actually disputed my points.

RB works as advertised.
VST's work fine.
Time stretch works fine.
Midi editing works fine, it's better than some, not as good as others.

Nowhere did I say RB is perfect or cannot be improved. Every piece of software in any field has issues and can be improved. Especially Help files.

The reason I'm posting this rather than using PM is because thousands of potential customers of PGM search about things like this all the time and this thread will pop up. If I wasn't making these points lots of people will think there's something inherently wrong with RB when there is not. Overall it's a killer program.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
[quote=jazzmammal]

You'll notice nobody has actually disputed my points.

The reason I, myself can not dispute is because I stopped using RealBand about 3 years ago due to the issues I had. So long ago I don't remember what they were other than frustrating. Therefore, I don't feel qualified to debate it. Meanwhile, I developed a new common workflow. Most often BIAB straight over to Reaper. Basically by-passing the Tourette Syndrom inducing features of RealBand. I watch the forum periodically for consistent claims of RealBand Peace and Happiness Uphoria. Weighing your experience as a veteran user against other novice users has peaked my interest only a little.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
I use RB now and again mainly to generate a lot of tracks that I then mix in Cubase. In that sense its a great program, you can enter chords etc generate plenty of realtracks within it.

It has crashed on me many times and when restarting always get that message do you want to use factory or default settings as it crashed last time you used it.

Did I do something wrong, I don't know nor do I have the time to find out. I just know that it can crash often, but I am not going to stop using it for it does things like generating tracks that no other DAW can do, so I will put up with its little quirks for the above reasons.

Another user has so much interest in Realband they actually crated a website to promote it,

Real band website

He/she got so frustrated with the quirks of the program they left the forum in disgust because they felt that nothing was been done to fix it.

He/she may have returned under a different name, I am not sure, but being a computer savvy person he/she sure knows what they are talking about, so its not a good idea to say that they don't.

BUT in the great scheme of things it doesn't matter, in 10-15 years time most of us won't be around and thinking of RB, its not wroth getting our blood pressure up about.

smile

Last edited by musiclover; 11/20/18 01:07 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agree with David and Dan, Bob. For my part, I wanted to love RB, especially since it's included in the hefty cost of BIAB Audiophile (it's worth it!). I continue to use RB, and have produced charted singles with it, but it's problematic. Sorry, it is. The editing features, zoom and panning into the Tracks window are primitive, It's only 32-bit, and though I purchased jBridge, 64-bit plugin performance is not seamless. It doesn't support VST3, which is important for some of the best 3rd party plugins. Although I have a robust PC, there are still occasional lockups and a less frequent crash. The volume node feature doesn't work well. You can't automate subgroup sliders with multiple channels assigned to them. I'm very happy RB works flawlessly on your end. It doesn't here, and other sophisticated users have experienced problems. Now, with the advent of the DAW Plugin for BIAB, my belief is that RB will not be updated, and will remain a so-so, 32-bit, VST1-2 program, which frustrates me, because again, I wanted to love it. I paid for it, I understand it fairly expertly, and I love the analog look of the UI. Again, can you produce a great sounding track with it? Yes. But in my experience, with lots of unnecessary work. Peace.

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller- Woodwindist/Producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion
Tune 9 Music- SESAC
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
hi 2b im liking mixcraft a lot lately loving the midi side don't seem to have any noticeable latenecy on midi keyboard controller its a nice dawn I have used sonar to bandlab reaper,samplutude,reason and many more real band was crashing for me a lot 4 years ago so I left it alone for a time going to try it again it would give me a lot of options all dawns work great depends on your work flow I hope things work out for you eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One factor to consider is the support you can get on Mixcraft and Reaper. I have experience with Mixcraft support and it was excellent. I did not work with Reaper enough to form an opinion on their support. I found the Mixcraft tutorials and forum to be excellent. I did not try them for Reaper.

But keep in mind, lots of folks have one or the other who also have BIAB (and RealBand). This is a helpful forum and a unique place to get support if your questions are about using BIAB together with a DAW. I think, with no real evidence except reading past discussions, that a lot more people here use Reaper.

The brief upsurge to Mixcraft came at the same time that Cakewalk SONAR looked like it was no longer a choice, so some of those users (including me) started learning Mixcraft (and others). Then many of us (including me) went right back to the new incarnation of SONAR in the form of Cakewalk by BandLab. I did like Mixcraft but would advise you more to strongly consider Reaper if for no other reason than the support you can more likely get here when using it with BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can also use this method for getting chords from the Biab Plugin into Cubase or Studio One, ReaTrak for Reaper has a button to get chords from the plugin. I'm just looking into scripting in Cubase and Studio One to get the plugin chords from the plugin's Song.txt in the bb folder.
Cubase
Save a copy of the RealBand session to SGU to open in Biab
Watch https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmrih0pu325pobs/Biab-Chords-to-Cubase.mp4?dl=0
download https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmrih0pu325pobs/Biab-Chords-to-Cubase.mp4?dl=1

Reaper
Watch https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugjp1wgfcz3t5mb/RealBand-to-Reaper.mp4?dl=0
Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugjp1wgfcz3t5mb/RealBand-to-Reaper.mp4?dl=1

Studio One
Save a copy of the RealBand session to SGU to open in Biab
Watch https://www.dropbox.com/s/myxsq2v6y680e3i/RealBand-Using-Biab-Chords-to-Studio-One.mp4?dl=0
Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/myxsq2v6y680e3i/RealBand-Using-Biab-Chords-to-Studio-One.mp4?dl=1

Here's the Mac Output chords to midi:

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Interesting thread I missed before. My opinion is simple. Choose a REAL DAW that was designed by a software development team specializing in and focused on DAW software! To me RealBand seems more like a proof of concept project that was never fully developed or optimized for real world use. It is impressive for what it does but it simply does not compare with REAL DAWs IMHO.

There are plenty of REAL DAWs to choose from but I chose Reaper. Reaper is an outstanding DAW with plenty of advanced features along with a modern interface. It has never crashed in the 7 years I have used it (RealBand crashes or bogs down almost every time I use it.)

To those who say digital audio is complicated and that you need to spend 15 years to learn it and get it all working properly I'd say maybe that's true with RealBand but not with Reaper! It pretty much worked out of the box when I could barely spell DAW.

And regarding this silly notion that it is the user's fault RealBand crashes because they don't have a "standard" computer, well when other products like Reaper just work that pretty much proves it ain't the user's fault!

Off-Topic
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks to all of you who responded. I have been out of touch for a few days, so I just saw this.

First, I didn't want to get back into the contentious discussion about the wonders of RB and that something must be wrong with someone who can't get it to work properly and consistently. But since it has resurfaced, let me point out a few things.

1)Most of the people on this thread mention frequent crashing with RB and that was my experience. I used Reaper on the same computer for about 100 hours before I bought it. It never crashed. It still hasn't. I don't turn my wifi off or shut down my antivirus either. It just works.

2) Mr. Gannon has recently published a thread which extols the virtues of using Cakewalk with RB. That could be a signal that PG is going to let RB wither on the vine, and he may not be able to say that because of prior contractual obligations. I am not trying to put words in his mouth but it is something to consider. Most of us would buy BB at the same price without RB, so you could say PG makes no money on RB but they have to support it.

3) RB does some nice things when it works. I bought Reaper but I have opened RB a couple of times to copy and paste by measure number, a function I haven't learned on Reaper yet. I found I was still putting up with crashes and I was thankful I had made the change.

If RB works for you, by all means keep using it. I'm happy for you. At the same time, be happy for those of us who have found something that works better for us.

2b

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
.....Most of us would buy BB at the same price without RB, so you could say PG makes no money on RB but they have to support it.....

2b

and there's some Mac users asking for RealBand for Mac, I shiver and think they have no idea what they would get themselves into, it damn near killed me the stress it caused ! I tried it on Win10 as I thought that maybe the solution, it was going great, then BANG ! error, I just cried, seriously.
The plugin and a good DAW is the future, maybe they will get the plugin more compatible with the save BB.SGU songs with F5 settings ? RealBand forced me to get into ReaTrak Win/Lin/Mac and have not looked back.

Off-Topic
L
L
The thread is literally called mixcraft vs reaper. I haven’t seen a single post regarding either

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

Did you read the entire thread? There is lots of mention about the two programs, in context that this is the off-topic forum for PG Music products.

Since you’re new here, I might also mention this thread is not an example of our finest work. If I were still teaching, I’d have at least two weeks of material on the interpersonal dynamics failures of a social media platform, just from this thread. But give us a chance. This is overall a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable group.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Since I started the thread, let me respond. I was frustrated with Real Band and started looking for something. I had the free trials of Mixcraft and Reaper. I recorded with both.

In the end, I chose Reaper because there are so many support videos and it has an active forum. Also, a lot of people on this forum use Reaper. Since I did, I have not regretted the choice.

That doesn't mean you would make the same choice. IMO, the best way to evaluate is to have a piece you want to record. Try it on both DAW's and see which is better for you. Plan to spend several hours over the course of two weeks when you do it.

A couple of dislikes about Reaper: I don't like the non-destructive editing (but a lot of people like it). So I save before I edit and then tell the program to trim content. Also, it piles up files when you are doing punch-ins. Occasionally, you have to manage those.

If you have any other questions, post them. Or you can PM me, but I am not the most experienced user on this forum.

Hope this helps.

2b

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
S
In the end, I chose Reaper because there are so many support videos and it has an active forum. Also, a lot of people on this forum use Reaper. Since I did, I have not regretted the choice.
2b

Quote:
Reaper ...is a joy to work in. Primarily given that on my system it is and has been for years Rock-Solid. Can count on one hand the number of times it has crushed over these years. Add to that the Reaper Forum and many videos to view when you what to learn a new feature. And with Reaper there is always something new with constant upgrades.

Whoowie, I guess I win! grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Late to the party as usual. But here is my two cents (sense) worth.

I start many years ago with a clarion 4 track cassette recorder, found a copy of cakewalk home studio on floppy disc. Bought a program called N track studios, it was glitches on my system, upgraded to cakewalk music creator 1, used it a while upgraded to 3, along the same time I used acid pro for a while. Then a regular here suggested a program called Multitrackstudios, I found that to be super stable and simple to get stuff done. Mean while I upgraded to cakewalk MC 5 then sonar 1 and 2 pro. Tinkered with them all a bit. Stayed with MTS for a while. Tried Reaper, found it solid and flexible, but it to me took to much set up and fiddling to cause me to switch. Bought a new interface from Presonus, it came with studio one free. Liked it, so upgraded (note I also owed powertracks, and BiaB) upgraded Studio one once again. Now I find it is the most stable and easiest to use. And by far the most productive for me. I did use RB for about two years creating backing track sets. It is fine but does occasionally crash and freezes for me.

Now on my system I have BiaB, RB, cakewalk by Bandlab, Reaper, and Studio one. My current workflow is Created in BiaB, and slide to Studio one. Once some of the little issues get worked out in the DAW plugin that will be a big part of it.

Point to all this is I have literally tried them all including a couple in Linux, even Cubase. Find one you like that works for you and stay they all make music.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199