Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
[Reposting here from Tips n Tricks because I realized very few people would see it]

Edit: These two videos demonstrate everything you need to get to the screenshot. :-)

1) How to install, locate, and load third-party VSTs and Plugins into BiaB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVRtQz8nqvY

2) Band in a Box/Realband & Minihost Modular: All your Plugins/VST(i) at your fingertips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexjietWWhc&t=7s

Hi there good folks,

Over the last couple of years I have become increasingly fascinated with aspects of music production--not so much in the sense of mixing and mastering, which I admittedly know next to nothing about--but with using MIDI, constructing various pad sounds, and also by using wacky effects that are applied to audio to make fascinating textures (In fact there are some incredible things that are being done nowadays using traditional effects, such as delays, filters, and noise gates, in extremely creative ways.
For instance, in the track Labor Day Pt. II, posted here , I morphed the sound of the drums using effect automation with radical EQ changes for the transition that takes place at about 3:40-3:45 to give them that trashy hollow gritty sound. The see-sawing pulsing high pitched sound, which can first be heard at 0:45 and then later comes to a sort of keening crescendo in the outro and then pumps into the last bar, is actually an instance of the male vocal ooh tracks using various modular effects from Native Instruments' Molekular. I also slowed down that pulsing vocal track by a few milliseconds in Reaper so that it plays at a wee bit of a slower rate, which, over the length of the track, causes the back-and-forth motion to increasingly "stray" from the main track to give it a sense of instability. Then I used a different Molukular preset, which I set to the song's native key, which resampled a tiny sliver of a the 1track female Aah vocal you can hear throughout the song to create that fragmented swirl you can hear in the background if you listen really closely from 4:03 to 4:05--it's there for barely a couple of seconds but I think it adds something. Now as I mentioned before, I am terrible at mixing and mastering, and there's SO much more I need to learn about that, and the track overall sounds pretty [*****], but I want to illustrate just a bit of what can be done with audio effects that, until recently, had no idea was even possible and I thought all the really "cool stuff" was done with MIDI and cutting edge synth engines.

As for MIDI, well that subject of comes up in these forums a lot, and I learned a tremendous amount about the subject here. After watching dozens of YouTube tutorials and experimenting with it over the last year, I've learned that one can make the MIDI tracks that sound so dull in BiaB sound like pumping modern dance tracks. (BTW, the fact that BiaB/RB MIDI tracks sound so dull is not in any way a limitation or shortcoming on part of PGM. In fact, I like the "stripped down" sounds from Cayote and SFZ Player, because it presents me with a clear un-colored canvas to work with and proceed from). I've learned about non-playing notes that you can insert into your piano roll to function as key-switches, about arpeggiators, and so much more.

Anyway, recently I've posted on YT a handful of videos regarding features I've particularly enjoyed in BiaB, and a couple of "hacks" (I usually hate that term, but whatever) to force tab in BiaB, and to create more natural sounding string/horn/vocal sections. I've really enjoyed making these videos, and got some lovely feedback from forum members, many of whom I learned so many other things from. Furthermore, I've found that when preparing for the videos, I stumble on other little things and end up learning more about the program myself.

Towards the end of my last video, regarding MiniHost Modular, (thanks again for turning me on to this, Pipeline!), I mentioned the possibility of making a series of videos based on what you can do with it, and figured that I'd just make a whole series that covers a wide range of topics primarily focused on MIDI, but also plugins, VSTis, automation, LFOs, ADSR envelopes, and how they could be applied to various parameters, synced to your host, be it BiaB, RB, or any DAW for that matter.

As music is only hobby for me at this point in life unfortunately, and I don’t really have a huge amount of free time, while I would love to make these videos, I also want to be sure that I'm not wasting my time, and that there is actually a fair amount of interest before I devote any significant amount of time to it.

So here’s the deal. If this post gets 25 replies with screenshots that look just like mine, I will start a series covering the topics I've discussed above within the BiaB/RB environment (to the extent possible).

In the attached screenshot you will see an image of a single instance of MiniHost Modular (which I will hereinafter refer to as MhM), with the following signal chain:

As you'll see, there is an initial MIDI in to Blue Arp (Blue) > MIDI out from Blue Arp to Helm (Blue both in and out) > Audio out from Helm to Guitar Pro 5 (GP5) (Blue in, Yellow out) > Audio out from GP5 (Yellow out).

Note that there is an instance of MT Power Drum Kit (MT PDK) which is not attached to anything. Also note that each one of these plugins is free, except that GP5 is a demo version, which has some limitations, but that's fine for our purposes.

P.S. my YT channel is not monetized, so this is not about money. For some reason I enjoy explaining things, and think this will be a great opportunity for me to push myself to learn even more in preparation, as I do not for a second consider myself an expert, or even a particularly adept in these matters. Indeed, I don't think that I know a lot more about these topics than most the forum members, or even a little more than some of the members. However, from many of the posts, I can tell I know a little bit more than a handful of the members, and that's who I will be making these videos for.

All the best,

Deacon.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Setup2.JPG (101.45 KB, 139 downloads)
Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 12/18/18 05:43 AM.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Glad to post support of your project because your videos I've viewed have been informative and useful. I don't completely understand the significance of posting a screenshot so I will acknowledge to you I took the time to read your entire post (I always do) in hope that will suffice.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Glad to post support of your project because your videos I've viewed have been informative and useful. I don't completely understand the significance of posting a screenshot so I will acknowledge to you I took the time to read your entire post (I always do) in hope that will suffice.

Wow, so nice of you to comment Charlie!

So you happen to be one of those folks who knows so much more than me about all of this stuff that I know absolutely have nothing I can contribute to you (other than good vibes grin).

This post, (and the series of tutorials I envision) are aimed at the people who are exactly where I was last year.

So what's with the posting of the screenshot? Well, while I intend to start the series of at an absolute beginner's level (e.g. what is MIDI? Why MIDI is not audio?, the signal path beginning with oscillators and out through the amp section?), it won't be long until we move on to more technical/intermediate stuff (e.g. the difference between the input level oscillators and low frequency oscillators ([LFOs]) the difference between sequencers and arpeggiators, ADSR, etc, so I want to know that if I put time into this, it is something that the viewers will actually put effort into utilizing.

So when I ask for screenshots, I'm essentially asking for people to respond/commit, If I take time to teach, you'll take time to learn.

Again, this is not aimed at you, the pros, or even intermediates, and, on some level, I'm frankly embarrassed at the implication that I can teach you something. Indeed, as we go deeper I know that I'll hit the wall where I know NOTHING, and I'll be hitting up you, Noel, Pipeline, and many others to smooth out the many cracks and gaps where I still struggle. The only thing I come to the table with is the memory of my ignorance, and excitement at finally getting it. I distinctly remember having to watch at least a dozen YT tutorials before I finally understood the fundamental difference between decay and sustain, and I suppose I may be dumber than other's in that respect, but I figure once I got it, I can explain how it clicked for me. So yeah, if people will commit to learn, I'd be more than to commit in contributing the little understanding I have towards passing it on.

In short: Screenshots represent effort which represents commitment coupled with a desire to learn.

Does all that make sense?

Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 12/18/18 07:18 AM. Reason: Stuff

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Deacon
Yes I am sure these videos would be very useful and interesting although possibly aimed at more advanced and adventurous forum members. You certainly explaing yourself very eloquently so I'd be very happy to see your videos and therefore please count me in.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: funkycornwall
Hi Deacon
Yes I am sure these videos would be very useful and interesting although possibly aimed at more advanced and adventurous forum members. You certainly explaing yourself very eloquently so I'd be very happy to see your videos and therefore please count me in.

Thank you ever so much, Mr. Cornwall

How about a screenshot then? ;-)

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
So here’s the deal. If this post gets 25 replies with screenshots that look just like mine, I will start a series covering the topics I've discussed above within the BiaB/RB environment (to the extent possible)

So, you want to do tutorials but before you will do them you want at least 25 people to commit to watching these not-yet-created tutorials? And simply expressing interest in your idea is not sufficient? They must also create and post a screenshot just like yours? What does that even mean? I don't use FL Studio so I couldn't create that screenshot!

If you want to do tutorials you should just do them and if they are useful people will watch them.

I think you have a nice idea and I would welcome useful tutorials. But maybe don't make it so confusing/difficult to express interest?

Just my thoughts...maybe I get confused easily these days.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
So here’s the deal. If this post gets 25 replies with screenshots that look just like mine, I will start a series covering the topics I've discussed above within the BiaB/RB environment (to the extent possible)

So, you want to do tutorials but before you will do them you want at least 25 people to commit to watching these not-yet-created tutorials? And simply expressing interest in your idea is not sufficient? They must also create and post a screenshot just like yours? What does that even mean? I don't use FL Studio so I couldn't create that screenshot!

If you want to do tutorials you should just do them and if they are useful people will watch them.

I think you have a nice idea and I would welcome useful tutorials. But maybe don't make it so confusing/difficult to express interest?

Just my thoughts...maybe I get confused easily these days.

To address these in turn:

1) Yep

2) Nope

3) That's correct

4) You've explained it yourself perfectly

5) The plugin was initially developed for use w/in FL Studio by Image Line, but was pretty much abandoned in 2013 or so while still in beta. It works perfectly in BiaB/RB as I have already demonstrated. In fact I only know about this because Pipeline posted about in these forums. So yeah, you can create that screenshot.

6) I don’t want people to watch them. I want people to learn from them.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Well, good luck with that! Ya might wanna do a tutorial on how to create the screenshot first! smile

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Well, good luck with that! Ya might wanna do a tutorial on how to create the screenshot first! smile

That's exactly the point...I did!

I'll paste it in again.

1) How to install, locate, and load third-party VSTs and Plugins into BiaB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVRtQz8nqvY

2) Band in a Box/Realband & Minihost Modular: All your Plugins/VST(i) at your fingertips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexjietWWhc&t=7s

C'mon now, you can do it. ;-)

W
Expert
Expert
W
I will watch your videos to see if I can learn something from them (I always like to learn).

If your videos are good, people will subscribe, like and share. That's how you grow a channel on YouTube.

I'm sorry to say that I think your idea about people posting a screenshot of something(?) is a bit silly.

I hope you will make the videos anyway!

Will

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186