Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I've heard of garlic enemas, they are probably very therapeutic for vampires, but never heard of Tabasco sauce ones. It must be a western / cowboy interpretation of original recipe.
The first mention of the enema in medical literature is in the Ancient Egyptian Ebers Papyrus (c. 1550 BCE). (I had to look that up) Now, "vampires" also go back way back... into Greek mythology.
The modern day, good old vampires, as we know them, are derived from Eastern Slavic folklore, around 17th century and most likely unorthodox method of garlic enemas - as a secondary "tool of choice" was introduced around that time. I believe it is safe to assume that both garlic and enemas where well established items and are of disposal to vampire hunters of that time.
Tabasco sauce enemas seem to have different use. Administered orally, it causes reaction of alertness and wakefulness. Having good imagination, one can only predict the outcome if administered otherwise. In analogy to garlic enemas, we can see, it goes back into the time of "expired copyrights" There are two hypothesis of origins of Tabasco sauce as we know it. One mentioning goes back to late 1840s another, a more accepted one to late 1860s. Tobasco Brand maintains the copyright....
So the big question stands, Is the use of Tabasco sauce enemas are a breach of copyright...a cover? Or one has to go to Tabasco, Mexico, pick own peppers and create that special magic sauce that only you, the original pepper picker know the secret formula to....?

P.S. Questions, questions...I think it is time to give this a rest and start doing some music. Perhaps about Tabasco Enemas? Have to consult with Don G. if that is a possibility.

Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

I feel like I have been given a Tabasco sauce enema.

Sounds like a good title for a country song...

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
I've heard of garlic enemas, they are probably very therapeutic for vampires, but never heard of Tabasco sauce ones. It must be a western / cowboy interpretation of original recipe.
The first mention of the enema in medical literature is in the Ancient Egyptian Ebers Papyrus (c. 1550 BCE). (I had to look that up) Now, "vampires" also go back way back... into Greek mythology.
The modern day, good old vampires, as we know them, are derived from Eastern Slavic folklore, around 17th century and most likely unorthodox method of garlic enemas - as a secondary "tool of choice" was introduced around that time. I believe it is safe to assume that both garlic and enemas where well established items and are of disposal to vampire hunters of that time.
Tabasco sauce enemas seem to have different use. Administered orally, it causes reaction of alertness and wakefulness. Having good imagination, one can only predict the outcome if administered otherwise. In analogy to garlic enemas, we can see, it goes back into the time of "expired copyrights" There are two hypothesis of origins of Tabasco sauce as we know it. One mentioning goes back to late 1840s another, a more accepted one to late 1860s. Tobasco Brand maintains the copyright....
So the big question stands, Is the use of Tabasco sauce enemas are a breach of copyright...a cover? Or one has to go to Tabasco, Mexico, pick own peppers and create that special magic sauce that only you, the original pepper picker know the secret formula to....?

P.S. Questions, questions...I think it is time to give this a rest and start doing some music. Perhaps about Tabasco Enemas? Have to consult with Don G. if that is a possibility.

The resident sniper would still find fault. Some folks seem to prefer living in misery and spoiling other folks' happiness.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
mmmmmm just read this from start to finish. anyone think American Tune by Paul Simon would be banned from PG Music show case? The tune is an old hymn tune, but the words are original and so the song is an original by Paul Simon.You couldn't do a cover version without permission but the tune is PD.

Not that he uses BIAB but if Paul Simon wanted to post American Tune i think he would be allowed!

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
mmmmmm just read this from start to finish. anyone think American Tune by Paul Simon would be banned from PG Music show case? The tune is an old hymn tune, but the words are original and so the song is an original by Paul Simon.You couldn't do a cover version without permission but the tune is PD.

Not that he uses BIAB but if Paul Simon wanted to post American Tune i think he would be allowed!

That happens a lot. "My Way" was written to a French tune with different and original lyrics by Paul Anka and originally recorded by Frank Sinatra. So Frank Sinatra did a cover of a Paul Anka song that was actually a cover of another melody/song....

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That brings up some good points.

Morning Has Broken (made famous by Cat Stevens) was written by Eleanor Farjeon. She was born in 1881, although I believe that the hymn was not penned until 1931.

Who would be rightfully concerned if a cover was made, Eleanor or Steven?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Probably Cat Stevens cause Eleanor is like dead now! If not then we got other issues

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
But someone will have the rights to Eleanor's song. Lots of songwriters are no longer with us. But somebody still cares about the copyright of those songs, you better believe it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
This may be of interest re. Morning Has Broken, also some info of interest re.
"recycling" folk tunes.

Cat Stevens and BUNESSAN
Bunessan on the other hand, is a folk tune which had already been collected by someone else. In this case, only Shaw's particular arrangement, the one in Songs of Praise (paired with Morning has Broken), remains in his copyright.

To explain further:

Whilst a lot of people growing up in the mid-20th Century would have been familiar with the Anglican hymn Morning has Broken, Cat Stevens, having been to a Roman Catholic school, was not. In an interview about MhB, he explained that he had came across an old school hymn book for the first time and had found it to be a compendium of folk tunes , a musical treasure-trove.

Thumbing through, Stevens did not have to look far to find inspiration. Morning has Broken is Hymn No. 30, and, assuming it was a Victorian hymn, (the irony of it! Songs of Praise was written as an Anti-Victorian hymn book), he took it off to the recording studio, changed the key from B flat to C major, and made it famous.

The assumption that it was a Victorian hymn was probably due to the discretion with which Martin Shaw made his copyright declaration: it is tucked away on page xi of the Preface. Nowadays composers know better, their names proclaim their good work alongside the title, original work or no.

Because, as a result of Cat Stevens using Morning has Broken without permission, the Martin Shaw estate brought a court case. The Farjeon Estate own copyright for her poem, but even though Martin Shaw was the primary cause of the hymn, (he had asked Eleanor Farjeon Estate to put words to the tune), Cat Stevens won the case. The judge's decision was that Martin Shaw's copyright extended to his arrangement only, not to the tune itself.

Which is fair enough. Otherwise, anyone could use any old tune (e.g. Happy Birthday) and claim it as their copyright for evermore, which would lead to a copyright free-for-all.

Meanwhile Morning has Broken continues to be Cat Stevens' greatest hit, which just goes to show that it's not the hymn-tunes which are boring, it's the way you play them.

from; http://www.martinshawmusic.com/copyright.html

Regards
Vintage

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dylan has an army of lawyers protecting his copyrights to satisfy the requirement to "aggressively pursue all infringements" or risk losing copyright protection. The government does not litigate in his behalf.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Don Gaynor wrote; "The government does not litigate in his behalf."

In general, copyright disputes are civil issues, so should not involve government.

However, in certain territories, corporations with sufficient financial clout have
lobbied government to extend the life of copyright on their intellectual property.

Vintage

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is more than 1 definition of "original ".

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: silvertones

True point. See John here is an original!

Originals are not near as scary as copies or clones. Ever hear of a movie called “night of the originals”?

Just saying.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
If you want to cover a copyrighted song, you are free to do so IF.... you own the right to license the song and have bought the proper license and paid your fees to the owner of the copyright. Several folks have done that here in the past. To be legit, you simply post the license number in your OP....

Paying for a license gives you the rights to PERFORM a song. Ownership of the writing credit does not transfer.

And this is not MY interpretation of anything. It is simply was the forum rule says.

Also note that at no time did I ever mention anybody's name. I simply asked that PG step in and either enforce their rule or remove it.

Bye.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: silvertones

Can you offer a few?

Original means "I created it. I wrote it. This is my own thoughts." Things along those lines.

And i come back to the original thought again and a again. The forum says they must be your own work. No covers.

I'm out. Do what you want.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< The forum says they must be your own work. No covers. >>>

No. Read it again and read the complete statement of two sentences. They are connected and together become the whole.

"The songs must be originals, no copyrighted or "cover" songs. You must have all of the rights to the songs."

What if I created directly and personally by me; not a copy or imitation; not dependent on other people's ideas; inventive and unusual; the first or earliest; existing from the beginning a song composition. This song I created meets the standard definitions to be considered an original song composition.

Part One of the four regulation requirements to post a song on the User Forum has been met.

Part Two of the four regulation requirements is I record the song and therefore it's not a "cover" of someone else's work. Part two requirement has been met.

Part Three of the four regulation requirements is so far, composing, recording, arranging and producing the work, I have all of the rights to the song. Part Three requirement has been met.

Part Four of the four regulation requirements is I copyright the song. OOOOPS!!! Regulation is clear -- No copyrighted songs. I can't post...… Of course I can. The intent of the regulation is actually clear even though the copyright wording is ambiguous. The law usually defers to common meaning and would include copyright with cover wording and treat the two words together.

____

I sold a 'song' several years ago. I wrote this song around 1970, early 71. I copyrighted this song with US Copyright in 1974 or early 75. I recorded this song with a band in 1975 and commercially released the album mid year 1975. Approximately 2017, I sold this song to a Record Company. I received a lump sum payment and agreement to receive quarterly royalty payments if my percentage of sales exceeds $25. The contract is for 7 years. The record company owns everything about that song. All media sources of production, arrangement, fair use, every source of income, etc, etc, etc worldwide for the seven year period of the contract. I can't reissue the original album without either securing the record company's permission and paying for the use of the song to be included on the album it was originally released on all those years ago. The record company has re-mastered the original recording and their use of the recording and song uses the original mix, artists, album artwork, songwriter (me) and all credits, etc involved with that original commercial release.

The record company owns the original, in it's original format and every format it can be duplicated or replicated in past, present or future for the term of the contract.

If the record company chose to use a PGMusic product to remaster the recording and then joined this forum. THE RECORD COMPANY MEETS EVERY REQUIREMENT OF THE POSTING REGULATION TO LEGALLY POST THAT SONG ONTO THE USER SHOWCASE. I can't do that with the same song. They use the song in its original form, using the original recorded release I wrote, arranged, recorded and performed on. It is an original, they have the copyright, it's not a cover, it's a re-release of the original and they own all the rights.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 03/17/19 09:38 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
About time we drew this to a close. It's been like on of those "open mike wars" of the 80's.
PD is a rich source of inspiration and education. Nearly all classical training, in one way or another, is based on PD, from Greensleeves to America, and, not simply because it is free. It is the foundation. Recordings of PD songs can be copyrighted, if that is the intent, based on originality.
I can only imagine what the real intent of the self important objection is.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,563
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200