Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
If you want to learn about synthesisers I recommend a series of books by Simon Cann “How to Make a Noise”. These talk about the different types of synths Analogue, Sample Based and FM. They are available in Kindle format from Amazon at about US$2.99 each. (Kindle software for a PCs or iPad are free if you don’t have an Kindle device). The books are simple and show how sounds are created. They are not limited to either software or hardware synths. They will give you a good grounding in the subject.

Note: these books are about synths not MIDI per se.

Keep safe

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I will do that. Sounds like a good place to get started.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
If you're interested in expanding your hardware collection don't overlook purchasing an electric keyboard, either new or used.

If you find one that's interesting to you, look it up at the manufacturer's website before you buy. Is it midi compatible, does the website include drivers and does the keyboard have the general midi (GM) emblem somewhere on the keyboard body or literature.

The major keyboard manufacturers, especially Yamaha, Roland, Casio, are so competitive you can find a new consumer grade keyboard that sounds very good and has midi capability starting at around $200 US. Go up in price just a little and the sounds and feature list jump dramatically.

Used keyboards that sold for $200 - $800 new are fairly easy to find for much less.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have an old Roland keyboard and I do use it quite frequently. I wish I could say I was learning how to play well but I’m not going to push it that far.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
crazy All I know about playing a keyboard is if you depress three alternate white keys you've played a chord crazy

A keyboard can be used for a lot more than playing. With a midi connection to your computer you can (1) record midi notes played on the keyboard instead of inputing the notes with a computer mouse or computer keyboard. (2) output midi from your computer to the keyboard and listen or record the audio output from the keyboard. (3) Most DAWs (not Band-in-a-Box or RealBand) accept midi commands from a keyboard to control the DAW transport and modify effects.

The hard part is getting the keyboard and computer programs to communicate with each other. How to do this changes not only from program to program but also depends on what task you want to do.

Do you like how the Roland sounds? If so then take advantage of what you already have!

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes I like the sound. But bear in mind that pisno is probably almost 30 years old. So you get basic piano, organ, electric piano, harpsichord and that’s about it. It wouldn’t be much as a synthesizer. But I do agree it’s a good item to play on with full functionality.

I also have a midi controller called Oxygen 49 which I use for inputting the midi data into the computer.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
From your description I'm guessing the Roland is not general midi (GM) compatible. So you would use it the same way you might use a single instrument soft synth; you would just be using an external single instrument sound engine instead.

The M-Audio Oxygen 49 is a popular midi controller. With it's keybed, knobs and buttons and self learning feature it is a good example of what things you can do with an external controller.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
If the Roland is something like the EP-760 (or many other pianos they made 30 years ago) it can probably also be a controller, FWIW.

I have one still (well my daughter has it currently), a very serviceable keyboard.

Just a thought.
What model Roland is it?
If it has a working keyboard and MIDI out, it's a controller at the very least. <grin>

Last edited by rharv; 04/08/20 11:48 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
HP 13003

And ues it has midi in and out.

Last edited by goofeyfoot; 04/08/20 01:59 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Well I'd hook MIDI up to it and test it as a controller at least .. not much to lose.
If advanced, I may even use it for sounds but controller seems your basic need and it should suffice if it has MIDI in/out connections.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all:

I'm the guy who had the too-small computer and crappy soundcard. And I had the every-five-minute crash issues.

Over the last couple weeks I got the Focusrite 18i8 and I built a new computer which is a Ryzen 3900. So no more of those crash-and-burn episodes, at least not yet.

So now I have to get the hang of all that "stuff" in Band in a Box and Real Band that deal with midi, synthesizers, and all that.

Where to start? All the menus look quite foreign.

By way of background I am essentially doing two things.

One I am making backing tracks to play a guitar against. Those usually wind up in Guitar Pro because in that application I can run the tracks on an iPad, slow them down, loop them, take them on the road on trips, etc. etc. The quality of these tracks is not that important. These tracks are just to practice with. But I do like to get midi drums, bass and other instruments in the track just for sake of rounding everything out.

The second thing is I try to make backgrounds for my sister's piano tunes. She is a real musician unlike me and these are more for listening, and not practice. She is more particular about how the finished product sounds. Not the same as my down and dirty backing tracks. My sister might use the tracks just as a karaoke background for her own playing/singing.

So that's the plan anyway.

Thanks.

Michael

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Where to start? I suggest you view the PGMusic videos:

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

I am assuming that you are relatively new to this. Thus for now I would suggest you put aside your getting better MIDI sounds and learn how to use BiaB and RB. Once you are comfortable with them then you can purchase and learn how to install them and modify them in both BiaB and RB.

Good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,609
Posts735,045
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186