Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Who is the ‘audience’, who is the ‘prompter’, and who is the ‘performer’ at your church?

For these times of isolation and then when you are able to meet together again, answering this question will have a profound effect on the posture your church takes as well as the approach to the use of music in any church situation.

Many mistakenly believe the ‘audience’ are the people gathered together. This is the source of most church music problems and frankly the source of most problems in churches to begin with. It fosters a consumer mindset in the church. The audience is God.

Almost always hand in hand with the above mistake is the answer of the question about who the performers are. The same mistake of thinking the congregants are the audience puts the singers and keyboardists and band as the performers. Wrong posture again. The performers are the collected congregants offering a simultaneous act of worship to God; their audience. This is really not a possibility in isolation. That is without serious dedicated spend on technology. None of the conferencing tools allow for this real time, usable quality, time aligned participation. Even Jamkazam, a platform dedicated to music doesn’t allow for it.

This is the most devastating thing about isolation and quarantine for Music use in churches that have learned these roles of God as the audience, congregants as the performers, and musicians and singers as the prompters.

So I will pose the question: what is the basic point of the desire to put a whole bunch of work into this? Be wary of any answer that involves the word ‘talent’.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
MS Teams isn't free. That seems to be the major consideration around here. Dig up a couple of coffee cans and spend money if you want quality.

Zoom has had ZERO issues here and I do Zoom chats with people almost daily. And all the hooey about "security" was exactly that. Nobody used Zoom to get at your bank account. People were guessing passwords with random password generators and crashing meetings. As soon as some clickbait article says SECURITY people stop at that word and start spreading the 1/8th truth about the product in question. Add that to you all with your refusal to ever update anything, and there you go. So annoying when people who have a thimble full of computer knowledge that they read on the internet speak as experts.... wow.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for your comments but I think this thread should end now.

My wife and I are not members of this church. We are hired to do what the church wants to do, and provide music (and in my case, technology advice).

I have received many good suggestions here and have come to the conclusion we will continue using Zoom for now.

Thank you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
MS Teams isn't free. That seems to be the major consideration around here. Dig up a couple of coffee cans and spend money if you want quality.

Zoom has had ZERO issues here and I do Zoom chats with people almost daily. And all the hooey about "security" was exactly that. Nobody used Zoom to get at your bank account. People were guessing passwords with random password generators and crashing meetings. As soon as some clickbait article says SECURITY people stop at that word and start spreading the 1/8th truth about the product in question. Add that to you all with your refusal to ever update anything, and there you go. So annoying when people who have a thimble full of computer knowledge that they read on the internet speak as experts.... wow.

I'll just leave this here ..
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/free

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Free NOW, but will it stay free forever Harv? Do you think that once it gets extremely popular they will start charging? That seems to be how Micro$oft does things.

Zoom works fine, and all those horror stories of security problems were presumably overly dramatic. Possibly even started by Micro$oft. I am on Zoom daily, sometimes more than once a day and I have never had anybody hack one of my meetings and blow up my office as the rumors said. "They" were allegedly getting into computers and stealing back accounts, deleting files..... I wouldn't believe anything Micro$oft says even if they say "There are 24 hours in a day".

But ya know what? Whatever.....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Our company, Raytheon Technologies - who has a VERY strict IT overall policy just replaced WebEx with Zoom.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Zoom has worked better the past two weeks. There is a website that tells you which online services are having problems, and Zoom used to have significant problems on Sunday mornings. It’s been better recently.

The site is https://downdetector.com/

We never had any security concerns.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks. Security was never the issue. And I think I may have more than a thimble-full of knowledge.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: flemiis
Add that to you all with your refusal to ever update anything, and there you go. So annoying when people who have a thimble full of computer knowledge that they read on the internet speak as experts.... wow.

Haha, you're new here so we can let that go but you need to be around these forums long enough to know who you're talking to. Matt is a retired computer science professor but I know what you're saying because I've said it many times too but then I mostly know who everybody is. This particular thread is filled with computer and IT pros but overall, the PGM forums have a fair amount of people who have little clue about this stuff and need help with the most basic things.

We try to be gentle about it because they're interested in making music and to a person who is both a music software nooby AND a computer nooby it can be challenging for them. I know this well because that was me 20 years ago. I knew squat about either one too.

This is a very friendly and knowledgeable group of music fanatics who can help you if you're having issues with Biab, RB, other DAW's, plugins, recording techniques, all that stuff.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
And welcome to the forum, Flemiis. I see you're from NYC.

Bob is right, this is a very helpful forum with little fluff, discord, or pretense. Why, I probably disagree with Bob as much as anyone but he's a great guy.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
thanks matt - worth a try although i think we'll probably need the congregation to mute their mics as shared responses are very ragged when everyone chooses their own timing. during a live service at least some common ground is established! singing will probably be worse.

I realized when re-reading the thread that I did not add one technique we use to minimize this problem. For readings with responses, the pastor writes a series of very short lines, and people are instructed to pause after reading each line. What this accomplishes is to limit the effect of the latency. After a little practice, people learn to find the correct timing.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199