Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon.
1.well the ultrapak drive fooled me lol.
its very fast. so i thought it might be ssd.
some ssd's are now down below 50 buks.
so i'm surprised ssd's arent used.
2. read back up thread a bit bout my comments on BC
province/canada tech. where is it ? cept for pg ?
i thought some 10ghz solution might come out of BC.
lots of hi tech engrs in BC. lots of smart researchers
in bc.
best
muso.
ps apparently lots of avid users use hp z workstations.
so thats why they are good used refurb deals.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon.
you got me thinking.
something wild lol.
could i dual boot (seperate partition) win and mac os's on a beast like this ??
so i can also run logic pro x as well as all my favorite win multitrak software plus biab of course.
costs 700 buks.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-z440-workstation-xeon-e5-1620v3-3-5ghz-4-cores-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-quadro-k2200-4gb-win10-pro-refurbished/14348023

ps. page down for detailed specs.
would appreciate your input.
best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 11/28/20 05:29 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
simon.
you got me thinking.
something wild lol.
could i dual boot (seperate partition) win and mac os's on a beast like this ??
so i can also run logic pro x as well as all my favorite win multitrak software plus biab of course.
costs 700 buks.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-z440-workstation-xeon-e5-1620v3-3-5ghz-4-cores-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-quadro-k2200-4gb-win10-pro-refurbished/14348023

ps. page down for detailed specs.
would appreciate your input.
best.
muso.

It's certainly powerful enough, but as it is not a Mac computer it cannot (officially) run Mac OS. We can not comment on whether you can load Mac OS on it or not.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
simon.
thanks for your thoughts.
refurbs are cheap enough that i'll prolly just end up with a seperate mac refurb to run mac os.
it keeps things simple.
staples and other reputable companies have lots of powerfull beast refurbs.

so i'll end up with 2 refurb beasts (each xeon or i7).
one for win (reaper/rb/biab) and one for mac os. (logic etc).
and just xfer traks tween both systems.
i'm going thru a major rethink right now as to studio gear as to future plans.
what has really surprised me bout mac in my research is the time it takes mac apps to load. more than a few secs it seems.

one thing i WILL say. some uber tech development team that created a new uber hyper fast slimmed down audio only OS (prolly useing assembler code) that ran all win and mac studio apps could earn a fortune.
imagine a new os that booted into desktop in just a couple of secs.
its time for a new disruptive low footprint os designeed to just run studio/audio apps.
maybe i'll win lotto 649, and put a team together lol.

as a matter of interest , how long does your raspberry pi take to boot to desktop screen from cold ?
and how long to boot into an app from desktop screen ?

merry xmas to you and all pg staff.

all best to you.
i.am.a.silly.old.muso.tech.nerd. lol.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/01/20 05:37 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
The Canadian company iZ Technology makes the +++ Radar Studio +++ which many professionals consider to be the most reliable and stable recording platform available.

+++ Digitech +++ is a wholly owned subsidiary of Harmon but continues to be a Canadian operation.

So there are at least a few well known Canadian companies with technological chops. However, I believe Canadian achievements do not get the recognition they deserve.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
As someone who owns a new 18 Core iMac Pro (replaced my 14 Core) and a 2020 iMac 10 core, the answer is simple: It depends on what else you do.

Either will run BIAB easily with low overhead. If that's all I did, the 2020 iMac — easy decision.

But that's not all I do. The 2020 takes forever to do certain AV rendering. Neither can it run a pair of 5K side monitors… and it has only one TB3 bus with only 2 ports… That's why my wife has the new 2020 and I paid $6,000 more for a loaded iMP from the Refurb Store.

I bought the 2020 first in the hopes that I could use it for my other work and compared it with my 14 Core iMP — if so, I would have bought another. My immediate need was to upgrade the internal storage to 4TB so the 14 Core was going anyway. The Refurb Store had an 18 Core w/ 4TB onboard for not much more than the 14 so I pulled the trigger. I really didn't expect it to be much faster but it is noticeably so — well, not BIAB but that's ok, that runs fast enough.

No one needs a Mac Pro 7.1 just to run BIAB. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice. A 7.1 would have set me back another $8K or so after I bought another 5K monitor. Not made of money.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Mike.
merry xmas to you.
those prices are way above my pay grade. lol.
actually its not so much biab, but i want to see what i can do with logic pro , and reaper on a cheap refurb xeon mac. (maybe biab later.)
now as reaper has new flashy video features which have captured the interest of video/film/tv users apparently.
i cant keep up with all the new stuff frankly.
heres kenny goioa (a grammy guy) showing vid features in reaper 6.
this guy really knows his stuff. a pro. way better than i'll ever be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n0V_KnXbRA
looks pretty nifty.
check these feature vids out. loads of new stuff. page down.
videos on doing video are bottom right plus new features.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

things are moveing so fast in reaper land i cant keep up.
best.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/12/20 02:57 AM.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm like Simon and run an old 2009 Mac Pro that's been upgraded, though I stopped at the hex-core Xeons, plus I've got an RX580 8Gb in the mix.

As an audio workstation, it can handle pretty much anything I care to throw at it, including orchestral mixes in LPX (10.5.4 in my case) etc etc. It also works pretty well as an video box, and can run DaVinci Resolve 17 at FHD with some effects, though it starts to show its age with 4k video or if you start using video effects too heavily.

Plus the other caveat is that it has pretty much reached its end of life with Mojave (10.14.6) so as Apple continues to make the world look like an iPad, and developers who want part of that market are forced to adapt, this box will get left behind. Eventually, probably in the next year or so, many of the leading developer will likely drop back compatibility for Mojave and start requiring Big Sur. Then you will have the choice of staying with what you have, or moving on.

Personally, I'm going to hang on as long as I can. Not only am I cheap, but the future looks like M1-land if you are tied to an Apple (and I do have some stuff that is Apple-specific), and they will only get better and faster and bigger, and then some of the other pieces will hit the second-hand market and then we'll be good to go. Until then, I'll make do with my mid-2012 MBP and the old Mac Pro

.. mark.
(BiaB 2020 Mac; macOS 10.14.6; MacPro 5,1 56Gb 2xHex-Xeon RX580)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts734,999
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186