Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Well, can't say we all didn't give it the good college try. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Goldy
Hi Simon.

Since FF works great with BIAB 2020 (and all other softwares I have in my computer), I think IF it has something to do with FF is kind of disagreement between FF and BIAB 2021 smile.
Best will be to ask PG develop department what might cause this issue.

Any way, I'm about ordering a new Sound card soon.

Keep on the good work.

regards.

Goldy, we're asking you to temporarily try BIAB without your Fireface so that we can determine whether the Fireface is the issue or whether your computer is the issue - ideally you would want to find that out before you go out and spend money on a new sound card only to find out that wasn't the issue.

I did speak with the development department here, and they all said it has a high probability of being your interface. It's still a good idea to make sure of that, by trying BIAB without the Fireface connected.

I work here
D
D
I have these same instability issue with BIAB 2021 on windows 10.
Crashes, Refuses to close, etc.
I also have an RME sound device.
It is rock solid with Cubase 11, MixBus32 7.0, and Native Instruments Maschine.

Using BIAB 2021 as a VST gives minimal problems.

These issues and the lock-in on a 44.1 sample rate are really turning me off to PGmusic.

This will be the last year I upgrade without the ability to test thoroughly first.

Regards

Expert
Expert
datho, i think the previous posts are asking Goldy to test the interface and see if that is the problem. if it is then i am sure PG Music will try to fix it. but unless we hear back from Goldy nobody can be sure that your problems can be fixed with a tweak that applies to your sound device.

most of us don't have the same problems, and as for testing new releases of BIAB don't forget PG do a 30 day money back offer. so i think you can trust them to do their best for your device and give you your money back if you try and don't like.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
datho.
ive given this much further thought/your needs and other users needs from a computer engineering aspect as follows.
NOTE : I MIGHT BE COMPLETELY WRONG HERE.
but i find it interesting that other 2021 users arent haveing similar problems.
please follow my logic.

1. i am aware that some/many studios use higher end interfaces like rme for higher recording and sampling rates eg 24 bit // 96khz.
2. given point 1 and the fact that biab likes 44.1/16 bit
is this a possible source of problems/conflict/crashes ?

datho ; there is another aspect. from a computer engineering aspect.
i suspect from this standpoint that a NORMAL DAW THAT DOES NOT HAVE AUTO ACCOMPANIEMENT FUNCTIONS IN IT ; it is easier to support users needs/functions for HIGHER BIT DEPTHS AND SAMPLING RATES.

REMEMBER BIAB IS A UNIQUE PROGRAM. THUS i suspect if pg built in all sorts of supports for multiple sampling rates up to 192 khz PLUS multiple bit depths. this might realise not only a more bloated program...
BUT THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER MAJOR IMPLICATION.
remember the GENERATION OF REAL TRAKS PROCESS is building complete real traks from stored "snippets". its doing this in probably what some might term "look ahead" methods. ie building buffers of audio before they are needed.
A DAW DOES THIS TOO ! BUT IT DOESNT HAVE THE ADDED WRINKLE OF AUTO ACCOMPANIEMENT FEATURES AND GENERATING REAL TRAKS.

also datho if pg implemented multiple bit depths and sampling rates i suspect the real traks library would be HUGE.
which has user implications downloading in the future.
the download time would multiply and frustrate users.
lets take a piano RT it would have to have been recorded originally in multiple bit depths and sampling rates up to 32 bit 192 khz ?.
(pg can tell me if i'm wrong on this point.)

see what i mean ?
in conclusion it is too simplistic imho to expect biab to support all sorts of bit depths and sampling rates because there are software engineering implications down deep in the code.
if this stuff were trivial datho you would see many more biab competitors like there are many daw multitrak competitors .(Ptools/cubase/reaper/mixcraft/cubase/samp/nuendo etc etc.)

(now MIDI is a whole different story being just data.)

if i'm correct about the above datho from a software engineering standpoint THEN the pg software engineers are in a catch 22.
i am sure they would like to fulfill everyones desires for more than 44.1/16 support BUT they realise the complex implications.

maybe someone from pg will say "muso is out to lunch" and we can do that. lol.

in the interim datho it would be helpfull if you posted the following pics (otherwise the rest of us are guessing.)
.pics of your rme audio settings.bit depths and sampling rates.
.pics of your biab audio and midi driver settings.
.pics of your other music daw settings/bit depths/sampling rates. ie cubase and mixbus etc.
.pics of your win recording and playback bit depths and sampling rates

thus the rest of us plus pg simon who has rme can have a gander.

LET ME CLOSE IN ASKING DATHO ARE YOU USEING RATES HIGHER THAN 44/1/16 IN YOUR OTHER MUSIC SOFTWARE.

wishing you only the best.
i-think-rme-is-great-gear-oldmuso-an-ex-tech
ps maybe i'll get egg on my face lol.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/27/21 04:54 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Just short notice.
Weekend is coming and i"ll try what Simon said.

As fore what Justanoldmuso wrote - Totally agree.
PG (and we all here) really try in this one.
No software ever been perfect and it's impossible to predict all hardware and software combinations and configurations
(believe me, I'm working with many critical organizational softwares). that's the reasons for updates.

Last edited by Goldy; 05/27/21 08:32 AM.

Goldy
Veteran
Veteran
Oldmuso, yes, I concur, and I touched on this in some reply in this thread way back when. If you don't get a sample lock between digital audio devices, you get no sound. Worth checking everything. Notably, Windows updates have a habit of switching my Windows Sound Settings for no reason.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: dathho
I have these same instability issue with BIAB 2021 on windows 10.
Crashes, Refuses to close, etc.
I also have an RME sound device.
It is rock solid with Cubase 11, MixBus32 7.0, and Native Instruments Maschine.

Using BIAB 2021 as a VST gives minimal problems.

These issues and the lock-in on a 44.1 sample rate are really turning me off to PGmusic.

This will be the last year I upgrade without the ability to test thoroughly first.

Regards

dathho - does BIAB work properly without your RME connected, using your internal sound card? Does the problem happen if you only have BIAB open and no other audio app?

Lock in on 44.1 sample rate only happens with ASIO, since BIAB has to lock sample rate with the interface. If you use WAS or MME in BIAB that won't happen.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
but i find it interesting that other 2021 users arent haveing similar problems.

I find it interesting I'm not having problems with my RME, if the problems in this thread are somehow tied to the RME device.

1. i am aware that some/many studios use higher end interfaces like rme for higher recording and sampling rates eg 24 bit // 96khz.
2. given point 1 and the fact that biab likes 44.1/16 bit
is this a possible source of problems/conflict/crashes ?

This is often a conflict, and what I suspect is the issue for datho.

Point of clarification - BIAB likes 44.1, but 16/24/32 bit doesn't matter much. BB can operate with your interface set to 192k when using WAS instead of ASIO (possibly higher, my interface only goes to 192k).

also datho if pg implemented multiple bit depths and sampling rates i suspect the real traks library would be HUGE.
which has user implications downloading in the future.
the download time would multiply and frustrate users.
lets take a piano RT it would have to have been recorded originally in multiple bit depths and sampling rates up to 32 bit 192 khz ?.
(pg can tell me if i'm wrong on this point.)

The Realtracks would be around 12.75 TB if they were 32-bit 192khz. They'd be about 4.8tb at 24-bit 96khz.

maybe someone from pg will say "muso is out to lunch" and we can do that. lol.

Don't worry muso, we won't say that! Or at least, not in public... laugh

in the interim datho it would be helpfull if you posted the following pics (otherwise the rest of us are guessing.)
.pics of your rme audio settings.bit depths and sampling rates.
.pics of your biab audio and midi driver settings.
.pics of your other music daw settings/bit depths/sampling rates. ie cubase and mixbus etc.
.pics of your win recording and playback bit depths and sampling rates

thus the rest of us plus pg simon who has rme can have a gander.

I agree, this would be very helpful!

I work here
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi guys.

Tests:
1. Open and close BB 5 times (no song-just open) the process close correctly.
2. Open BB and from within, open different songs, and afterword close - the process close 3 times, 2 time stay open.
3. Open songs by double click – most of the time the process stay open.
4. Open Cubase and close - process stay open.
5. Disconnect FF sound card (windows internal sound)- the same sound problem.
6. Open the same BB song a few times – some time the sound work OK some time I hear noise and sometime no sound at all.

As I was looking on it, I'm not sure the sound issue and the process issue are related.
It seems the process issue is more related to Windows error than for BB.
I googled it and found quite a few reference for this.

Sending an attached file with what you asked.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB.pdf (373.93 KB, 13 downloads)

Goldy
Veteran
Veteran
Oldmuso, you have another thread on this same question in the Recording forum. That’s a good place for it. There are many possible answers and they could be large. They would hijack this thread.

So far, Mario and I answered you there.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
4. Open Cubase and close - process stay open.

Do you mean the Cubase process stays open in this case, not the BB process?

5. Disconnect FF sound card (windows internal sound)- the same sound problem.
6. Open the same BB song a few times – some time the sound work OK some time I hear noise and sometime no sound at all.

Do these problems happen on a fresh boot, having not run any of your other audio apps or used the Fireface at all?

Can you go to Options > Preferences > Audio > Audio Drivers, and disable ASIO Always On, and see if that helps? Also, try increasing your Fireface buffer from 256 samples to 512 or 1024.

As I was looking on it, I'm not sure the sound issue and the process issue are related.
It seems the process issue is more related to Windows error than for BB.
I googled it and found quite a few reference for this.

If the Cubase process is also staying open, then I certainly think this is the case.

Sending an attached file with what you asked.

Looking at the doc, in Cubase try enabling "Release driver when application is in background". Also, you're using two different devices in Windows for input and output - try setting the Fireface as the default device for both input and output.

I work here
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Simon.

1.Do you mean the Cubase process stays open in this case, not the BB process?
Yes.
2. Do these problems happen on a fresh boot, having not run any of your other audio apps or used the Fireface at all?
Yes.
3. As for Cubase I just mention it happens ALSO with Cubase.
Cubase didn't run while running BB (Restart - run Cubase, restart - run BB.

Goldy
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Simon.

1.Do you mean the Cubase process stays open in this case, not the BB process?
Yes.
2. Do these problems happen on a fresh boot, having not run any of your other audio apps or used the Fireface at all?
Yes.
3. As for Cubase I just mention it happens ALSO with Cubase.
Cubase didn't run while running BB (Restart - run Cubase, restart - run BB.

Step 3: I'm a little lost. Restart what?

E.g.: "Restart computer - then run Cubase?" or "restart Cubase?"

Please it's important to tell us exactly what this means.
"Restart - run Cubase" could be interpreted as "restarting Cubase" or "Restarting the computer and then running Cubase"

Please be very specific about every individual step so that there can be no misinterpretation of what comprised those steps. Thanks for understanding.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Sorry -Restart the computer smile

Last edited by Goldy; 05/29/21 07:03 AM.

Goldy
Veteran
Veteran
You know this, no doubt, but there is a setting in the BIOS where fast boot may not actually clear everything. I disable it.

The only sure restart is a cold boot i.e. turn off and on.

Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Matt.

Any Reboot clear all (including RAM).
Windows, software and drivers.
Restart and shutdown are two terms that are used interchangeably.
The difference between Restart and Shutdown is that Restart temporarily shuts down the computer and starts it again while shut down completely powers off the computer.

What you refer in the BIOS are series of tests That that Fast Boot normally skip.

Goldy
Goldy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Simon.
Not sure, if it any help, but in attached file are all exe and dll used by process of BB while stay open.
Most doesn't say much to me, but maybe the develops people can see something.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB.txt (5.21 KB, 5 downloads)
Last edited by Goldy; 05/30/21 05:41 AM.

Goldy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199