Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Many times I try to listen to a song without reading comments...even from the OP describing the song. To me it sets expectations that I would rather not have on the first listen.

So, at first I thought it was a cool song. Sort of familiar, which is many times a good thing. I really liked it and found myself knowing where it was going...actually a little TOO soon. Wait a minute...you remade this song. Oh! THAT makes sense. What a great job you all have done with this!

To me, it wasn't like a cover band trying to sound like the original kind of sound. You made it your own. That speaks volumes to the talent involved with this project.

You all have a signature sound. Not many can say that. It's so good that you can take what someone else has done and give it a new life.

So cool! Appreciate all of your talents so much. They are additions to each other, they are multipliers!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice. I like the way you guys search out the old stuff and make it fit totally todays groove.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great Track!

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Excellent! (of course!)

Stunning vocals. (of course). Cool BGVs (of course).

Nice guitar parts all over the place (of course).

Gorgeous Buttery Bass (of course).

Superior mix. A perfect balance. (of course).

A delightful listening experience (of course).

LOVE the record cover (of course).

Great Music (of course).

fj

And, of course, we loved reading your most supportive remarks. It means a bunch to the four of us!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Janice & Bud,

It's a very well arranged song. Janice's voice is wonderful as always. The guitar solo is pleasant and the whole is well arranged. Well done. I appreciated. And I admire your collaboration between artists of great qualities.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackflah

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Janice & Bud,

Just had a second listen to this song.

You have some great performances going on here - in particular the vocals and lead guitar.

A few suggestions to make this track even better:

Mix
Vocals - down a touch to put them in the same space as the band. You will need to manually edit the volume on the vocals as they are not consistently too loud. Maybe also a slightly longer reverb.

Lead Guitar - up a bit. Maybe also bring it a little forward with a shorter reverb so that the guitarist is standing beside the lead vocalist. The guitar volume in this type of Blues is often similar to the vocals.

Piano - up a touch - especially between vocal and lead guitar phrases.

Drums - I can hear the double slap of drums and other instruments on the off-beats. This gives it a sort of "shuffle" feel - is this what you had in mind?

Song - maybe add a bit of light and shade in the Rhythm section - e.g. Ride Cymbal in second verse. Pump up the piano and also more drum fills and crash cymbals in the choruses and particularly during the Guitar lead break.

I hope you don't mind suggestions and recommendations.

Best Regards
Nigel

Last edited by NigelSpiers; 06/25/21 12:10 AM.

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, this version is soooo much better than any other I've ever heard. Janice is so creative with her voice and adding those harmony lines was (well, don't tell her I said this) GENIUS. She can sing happy songs and sad songs and give each a boost to higher levels. Peter is always such a treat to listen to, and even more fun to play with. And, Bud, the best part for me was watching --or listening-- to how you do your magic. The differences between Before and After are staggering. Thanks for taking me along for the ride.

Along for the ride? Hahaha! You drove the rhythm section with your fine bass line!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Excellent rendition and speaking as a bass player, Marty did a fine job on it in a classic style.
A friend of mine does this song in a faster style which I love too.
Vic

Glad you liked it Vic and could agree more about Marty’s contribution.

Thanks!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Janice, Bud & Peter,

you can't imagine how you made my day ...! The first time I heard that song was way back in the sixties sung by then 17-year-old Steve Winwood (still a member of the Spencer DavisGgroup), and I was fascinated by that song from the first minute on. I've heard a lot of great versions since then, but yours is absolutely sublime.

Janice, you sing it as if you had just written it yourself - gorgeous !!!! Really well-arranged and 'coronated' by by Peter's very tasteful guitar playing.

And the sound? As usual: brilliant.

Oh, I loved that ending a lot , gave the whole thing sort of a twinkle in the eye.

That wasn't the first time you picked a classical tune - I really like the way you make old shoes shine again. Just awesom !

All the best,

Stefan

Edit: Oops - I had almost forgotten to mention Marty's great job on the bass...

Thanks Stefan. That was also my (Bud) introduction to the song. That was in 1966. I was in college, managing several bands and had started a production company with a buddy. Many music memories of that year including my first studio time.

So your familiarity with the tune makes your comments very special.

Thanks!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Team,

Oh, I always did like this song and this is a wonderful rendition.

Fantastic performances all round and it captures the essence of the blues perfectly.

Stunning in it's professionalism and topped off by a great mix from Bud.

Loved it.

ROG.

We appreciate your kind remarks ROG especially given your talents as a musician and producer!

J&B

Originally Posted By: musician17
Superb! If this were "The Voice" or somesuch show, I would turn my chair after Janice's first note. Congratulations to everyone who joined in and made this what it is - an incredible rendition from every angle, in every way. Bravi!!! quite incredible!!! (loved that G chord, sliding up to the A, right at the end ... nice!)

Thank you. It was a fun project and are most happy that you like it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
quote=Scott C]These songs are timeless. Awesome version of the song. Peters guitar was perfect for the song and Marty's basslines were so smooth and fluid. Just loved the vocal Janice. Very cool listen. Production was excellent as well. Well done[/quote]

Thanks Scott. We love attempting a decent interpretation of these classics. We appreciate your positive comments!

J&B

Originally Posted By: MarioD
As usual pro quality all the way. Outstanding vocal, guitar leads, bass, backing tracks and mix. This is better than anything offered by Alligator Records.

Loved it!

Thanks Mario. That’s some amazing company you’ve included us in! Humbled.

J&B

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great bluesy feel. Nice performances by everyone. Good clear mix. Another fine collaboration.

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
That sizzling opening lead signaled that this was going to be a outstanding production.

Janice's singing is always good, but this performance is one of her best.

Peter's guitar just screams and wails. Bass sounds good and is more audible in this mix than in some others.

Excellent production. You hit the sweet balance.

Thanks. Janice very much appreciated your vocal comment and we agree re Peter and Marty. Those guys know how to do it! We appreciate your support!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A classic made classicer!!! Band sounds fantastic!!! And the forum's vocal queen KILLLLS IT!!!! Pure class!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well sung, as always. Cool BGVs!

Really loved those bends on the guitar solo - brought a big smile to my face. Tasteful slide guitar fills as well.

Clean mix - balanced and easy to hear all the details.

Bass, drum and piano did their jobs and let the guitar solo.

laugh

Thanks David. You have a keen ear and we are always appreciative of your observations. And, yes, we thought that guitar man did good!

J&B

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is a great version.

Wonderful tone on the solo.

Loved it y'all!

smile

Thank you David!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well sung, as always. Cool BGVs!

Really loved those bends on the guitar solo - brought a big smile to my face. Tasteful slide guitar fills as well.

Clean mix - balanced and easy to hear all the details.

Bass, drum and piano did their jobs and let the guitar solo.

laugh

We appreciate that David. Glad you liked the BGV’s — Janice had a lot of fun with them. And Peter certainly laid it down. Yeah, it’s good to let the backing tracks do their thing but never get in the way. Thanks again!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Many times I try to listen to a song without reading comments...even from the OP describing the song. To me it sets expectations that I would rather not have on the first listen.

So, at first I thought it was a cool song. Sort of familiar, which is many times a good thing. I really liked it and found myself knowing where it was going...actually a little TOO soon. Wait a minute...you remade this song. Oh! THAT makes sense. What a great job you all have done with this!

To me, it wasn't like a cover band trying to sound like the original kind of sound. You made it your own. That speaks volumes to the talent involved with this project.

You all have a signature sound. Not many can say that. It's so good that you can take what someone else has done and give it a new life.

So cool! Appreciate all of your talents so much. They are additions to each other, they are multipliers!

That’s greatly appreciated and is the most we could expect from taking on PD song. We try to add just enough lyric and melody tweaking to make it our own. And Peter and Marty took it to a great place. Thank you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb,

Thank you! That’s exactly what we hope to accomplish.

Joe,

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Dero,

Thanks! Peter and Marty made a huge contribution to this project.

Nigel,

We always welcome forum members’ thoughts. Having started mixing 55 years ago a couple of reflections stand out. Mixing is never finished … just abandoned and you can’t please everyone! smile

Bud

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199