Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#668144 08/12/21 12:26 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Not sure about the correct terminology (no native speaker here - but even in German I wouldn't know the right term, ha!), but I'd like to be able to use an option for "slow-down endings".

Almost never I use simple fade-outs (booooring!); almost always I create a real ending for a song (as you would for a movie, a book etc.!), and in some cases, it just would be nice to slow that ending down; in fact, quite often I feel some kind of urge to do exactly that - you know, like a band on stage would ...?

I hope at least someone understands what I'm talking about and can maybe lend some support. ^^

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi ThorstenV, your description is perfectly understandable.

Their is an option available in Bar Settings (Function key <F5>) to slow down the song (ritardando)

Unfortunately, it only works at Bar level, not Beat level, but may deliver what you meed.

Near the end of your song, select the required bar / measure, and press function key <F5>, and change the tempo (based on absolute or percentage value) as shown:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-08-12_21-21-32.jpg (67.63 KB, 170 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hey Videotrack,

thanks for the quick reply!

So what I meant is called "ritardando"? Makes sense, since it derives from classical music. And yeah, I heard that word before!

Will have to try what you're suggesting - though I guess it won't sound as "organic" as it should be... Or does it? Did you yourself ever use it for that very purpose?

But thanks anyway; I'm at least one step further! smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think that it sounds "organic". If you want a smooth ritardando you should use a DAW. I believe you can do this is Realband if you have a PC. I know nothing about a Mac but maybe you can do this is GarageBand. You would complete your song in BiaB, export it as a wav/aiff, then import it into the DAW.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I have not needed this, because I take the project into a DAW and do a ritard there. However, I recall someone suggesting that a way to overcome the limitation in BIAB of the tempo being full-measure based, is to create more measures of fewer beats. Then change the tempo on each of those.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I achieve good "slow-down" endings (I like that name better than "ritardando") with Band-in-a-Box (BiaB).

I've found the top, numeric entry works well when abrupt tempo changes are desired, such as a tempo change between verse and chorus.

The bottom, percentage entry works well at the end of the song. I stretch the tempo change over three to six bars with each bar having a progressively higher percentage.

Slowing down over multiple bars and then using a hold ( chord with three dots like C ...) in the last bar works great in a ballad.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (8.38 KB, 151 downloads)
F5 Tempo Change Options

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
All you're all doing is giving the poor new guy some convoluted "workarounds" suggestions instead of simply create the necessary support to his original request, namely that BBox should be able to do this AUTOMATICALLY!

Excuse my disgruntle, but I myself made this very same request in here so many years ago that I cannot even ruddy find it anymore! And I too got bombarded with these same types of "well meaning" suggestions of how to get PG off the hook about this (which is how I see it), instead of gathering the necessary support and pressure on PG to feel compelled to actually do something about it - Only to have this periodically suggested all over again every 3-5 years since by newcomers, just like here.

This should have been made possible by PG ages ago!!! eek

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie I respectfully disagree. I like the fine control over a fade out Band-in-a-Box for Windows provides.

One issue with an automatic fade-out is the lack of control. Tempo, instrumentation, genre, time constraints can affect what is the "right" fade-out for a song.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Eddie I respectfully disagree. I like the fine control over a fade out Band-in-a-Box for Windows provides.

One issue with an automatic fade-out is the lack of control. Tempo, instrumentation, genre, time constraints can affect what is the "right" fade-out for a song.
But I wasn't talking about Fade-outs, those are an entirely different things conceptually to SLOW-DOWN wink

The observation about which precise values are the optimal ones per each case is, however, absolutely valid.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Icelander
All you're all doing is giving the poor new guy some convoluted "workarounds" suggestions instead of simply create the necessary support to his original request, namely that BBox should be able to do this AUTOMATICALLY!

I didn't provide a workaround. The O/P requested:
Quote:
to be able to use an option for "slow-down endings".
and I provided the BiaB method to do exactly that.

I didn't read anywhere in the original request that "BBox should be able to do this AUTOMATICALLY!". Have I misinterpreted the request, or responded incorrectly?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Have I misinterpreted the request, or responded incorrectly?
Well, I'm obviously very biased by my own notions (and said request from ages ago) about this concept or its implementations, so that could easily have been me as well as you smirk
Would be best to leave the answer to that question to the OP, if he has the thread monitored and could follow up with his thoughts...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Icelander

Would be best to leave the answer to that question to the OP, if he has the thread monitored and could follow up with his thoughts...

Thanks, Icelander, for your support! I just noticed that the discussion on this subject went on since the last time I checked, so here I am. smile

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I didn't read anywhere in the original request that "BBox should be able to do this AUTOMATICALLY!". Have I misinterpreted the request, or responded incorrectly?

Well yes, automatically is what I actually had in mind, and indeed I regard every suggestion made as just a workaround - and as useful as they might be: I find it all way too fiddly. The ideal thing would be too mark the bars you want to be involved and then simply press a button that says "ritardando". cool And I don't think that's too demanding because we already have all kind of options for stops, breaks, tempo changes and the like, enabling us to arrange quite complicated stuff (sounding natural and "band-like", too), so what's necessary for an automatic ritardando is basically a combination of these functions.

So again, guys, I'm really grateful for all your suggestions and happy to always, no matter what, be able to find support within this great community; really I am! But Icelander is absolutely right: We should convince PG to implement such a feature - particularly when asked for time and again!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Unfortunately there are hundreds of 'nice to have' suggestions out there that will probably never get to see the light of day. There are also many real bugs that need to be fixed but probably never will. PGM is, after all, in business to sell product, and these nice to have changes or irritating errors don't sell as well as 200 new real tracks.

BIAB is a great product. You just have to learn to live with its oddities and use the work arounds that have been developed by users over the years. But don't give up on asking for changes or new functionality, but be prepared for your request to be lost in the bottomless request bin.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Dave #675492 09/29/21 12:54 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Dave.
dont know if this helps...but you could take the traks into reaper from biab..and do slowdown..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B249b9oZEk

ymmv/best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/29/21 12:54 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
It's not easy at all but the Audio Chord Wizard can do slow down endings by changing the tempo map. It's not automatic because the 'slow down beats' have to be programmed and set, then the action is done automatically.

Audacity can also do slow down endings using either of two commands; Change Speed or Change Tempo. Change Tempo is preferred.

RealBand can do slow down endings by applying the Time Shift plugin or the Audio Chord Wizard or the Click Track Feature. The Click Track Feature would be my preference.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/29/21 02:00 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Dave #675570 09/30/21 01:24 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dave
Unfortunately there are hundreds of 'nice to have' suggestions out there that will probably never get to see the light of day. === But don't give up on asking for changes or new functionality, but be prepared for your request to be lost in the bottomless request bin.
So basically, ask but just for the sake of asking?! Riiiight... wink

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
It never hurts to ask - just don't be too disappointed when you don't get it.

Windows 10 (1909)
Dave #675577 09/30/21 02:13 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

You're right, Dave. Maybe one day this will happen:
Count-in based on time signature of first bar.
But I digress. Back to the program.

Dave #675970 10/02/21 09:04 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Well, with this sort of attitude...

So much for the garner of support & pressure, eh, mr. OP smirk

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I just think we all have been disappointed over the years and realize the PGM will probably never fix or deliver our wish. Some of it must be caused by the "old" code. You might be able to easily change new code, even though we know it can often introduce new errors. But the old legacy code is full of landmines that no ones wants to go near.

It would be nice for PGM to at least acknowledge the request, saying "thanks, but no thanks", especially if there is a work around that gives most of the functionality.

Windows 10 (1909)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195