Go To
#672214 09/09/21 02:16 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
so wife and i got a chromebook to try for 30 days.
big reduction in price. no brainer 100 buks...wasnt expecting much.
i am amazed/freaked out. boots fast few secs, like a breath of fresh air compared to waiting for win owing to win loading all the anti virus and other programs.
its an acer. i MUST say. whenever ive tried an acer computer ive never been disappointed. its only 2 ghz amd processor.
but everything one needs for surfing/email/basic stuff etc.
in summary i'm impressed.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The fast bootup is due to it being a small OS on a solid state drive (it doesn't have to load tons of drivers like Windows does), not strictly "because" it's a Chromebook. I have one but rarely use it because of the limitations as far as not being able to load full featured programs and such. That being said, you can pop an SD card in there with your music files and listen to them. Or read ebooks, or view pics, stream video, use email if you use a web mail interface like Gmail. They are capable of a lot. But the OS limitations mean they can't really be your main computer. Because programs are not written for Chrome OS you are limited to running things through an emulator. I DO have an add on word processor loaded on to mine and a few other things, but with 4 PCs and 2 laptops I rarely find myself needing to do much on the Chromebook beyond very basic basics. And in fact if I could roll it into any substantial cash I would have sold it already. (I doubt I could get 50 bucks for it.) But for the money, and if it meets a user's specific usage requirements, they are fine. Mine is also an Acer and I have had no issues with it.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They are good web browser machines if that's all you need. Full install Windows applications are a no-go which is why I don't own one.

I foresee in the future that the line between phone apps and Windows apps will draw closer and closer together. M$FT has been pushing their app stores hard in recent years and we'll probably see a stronger push on that with Win11.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
sslechta #672231 09/09/21 04:24 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
agree with all said.
yep just for web plus wife likes it...lol
happy wife happy life. i cant complain cos she wants to buy me biab upgrade at xmas..plus gtr stuff.
we trade a lot...lmao
i'm useing the cbook to post this.
like it so far

best
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great to hear sir. My wife would probably like one of those too....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
happy wife happy life.

I am not familiar with either of those things being happy...

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For people who do most of their work via a web browser, it's ideal.

The wife and daughters spend most of their computer time on a Chromebook, and have for years.

My daughters are both attending Community College, and can do most of their work - even MS Access classes - on the Chromebook. They only use my computer when they need to print something, as Google dropped support for cloud printing some time ago.

I typically pay $120-$140 for a used one, and it will last about a year.

A couple of years ago, my wife had left her Chromebook at her sister's house after a vacation visit. She logged onto a one of our spare Chromebooks, and found all her "stuff" had been seamlessly copied to the cloud. When it's time to move to a new Chromebook, it's just a matter of doing a Power Wash, and then logging onto it.

On the other hand, my sons and I can't really use them, as we all depend on Windows-based applications to do music, programming, specialized graphics and so on.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
sslechta #672398 09/10/21 08:17 AM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Never owned a Chromebook, but I did have a Chromebox for a while. It made a great living room internet machine.

Originally Posted By: sslechta
I foresee in the future that the line between phone apps and Windows apps will draw closer and closer together. M$FT has been pushing their app stores hard in recent years and we'll probably see a stronger push on that with Win11.

Considering that Windows 11 will natively support Android apps, the line will blur even further.

I work here
eddie1261 #672467 09/10/21 04:50 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
happy wife happy life.

A loving do unto others mind set required for best results. My 38 year experience with a certain redhead has shown me that you pretty much get back what you put in.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
KeithS #672533 09/11/21 05:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
A loving do unto others mind set required for best results.

I think I see my problem now. I am also not familiar with THAT concept... I'm more of the 200 mph steamroller type.

sslechta #672534 09/11/21 05:40 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
...M$FT has been pushing their app stores hard in recent years and we'll probably see a stronger push on that with Win11.

Is that what this Windows 10 S-mode is about? I've got one picked out and ready to pick up when we can get out.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Tangmo #672798 09/13/21 04:51 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
All.
well i'm just loving this acer chromebook.
it takes a lot to impress me, but i'm impressed just like i am with amazons fire tablet product.
why ? cos such budget products put tech power in the hands of us poorer folk.

maybe ill get flak for my next comment, but so be it, and its what i'm thinking ...
why the hey cant apple bring out products at this budget under 200 buck level.
i reckon apple are missing a huge market...not haveing a budget product like the chromebook.
i cant believe this cbook is so lightweight...

the other thing i like is this thing dont seem to get hot at all. obviously due to the solid state storage.
gonna see if some programming can be done on it for s's and giggles.

worst case its just a cheap way to web surf safely and research new recording studio products and reviews of same on you tube. its also very "snappy".

btw , so far my new evo audient usb audio interface has given me no hassles. i still like the mic pre's for my vocs, and would suggest anyone in the market for a budget interface, rent one , and try/assess for yourself.
also i'm getting very low latency in reaps reporting of 4ms.
best to all.
oldmuso

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
happy wife happy life.

I thought I did, but I've been divorced for 7 years now, so perhaps I am not familiar with this either.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
...M$FT has been pushing their app stores hard in recent years and we'll probably see a stronger push on that with Win11.

Is that what this Windows 10 S-mode is about? I've got one picked out and ready to pick up when we can get out.

Yeah, S-Mode only allows apps to run if they came from the Microsoft Store. It's considered a "Security" feature, however it can be disabled. Depending on the machine you bought though, disabling it might cost money...

why the hey cant apple bring out products at this budget under 200 buck level.
i reckon apple are missing a huge market...not haveing a budget product like the chromebook.
i cant believe this cbook is so lightweight...

That's what their iPads are for - granted, not 200 bucks, but $329 is what I'd consider "budget" for Apple - less if you buy a refurb. They're less limited than Chromebooks I think, or perhaps more limited with no keyboard depending how you look at things.

btw , so far my new evo audient usb audio interface has given me no hassles. i still like the mic pre's for my vocs, and would suggest anyone in the market for a budget interface, rent one , and try/assess for yourself.

I'm considering one for my own mobile rig, but concerned with durability as I see this more as a desk unit. Think it'd survive multiple drops and being tossed around in a backpack for a few years?

I work here
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
i'm not sure i would be slinging evo around. mine is static...i would check with audient as to how much abuse it
can take. i feel my steiny ur 22 is prolly sturdier.
i would rent a evo first from L & M in bc .
they also sometimes have used versions also.
save some bucks.

best
om

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Simon.
i'm not sure i would be slinging evo around. mine is static...i would check with audient as to how much abuse it
can take. i feel my steiny ur 22 is prolly sturdier.
i would rent a evo first from L & M in bc .
they also sometimes have used versions also.
save some bucks.

best
om

Yeah, I've been considering a Steiny, they've got a couple used/rental UR44C's at a local shop here, not sure if they have the Evo but if you don't think it'd survive being slung around then they probably don't rent them.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195