Page 2 of 2 1 2
swingbabymix #677174 10/10/21 02:08 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sounds good!

BiaB Pro 2022; Windows 10
Bass: Intermediate; Piano: Beginner
I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
MoveToGroove #677175 10/10/21 02:10 AM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
Sounds good!

grin grin grin grin grin grin
If you add a guitar, a saxophone, it will be better.
And this rhythm is suitable for RAP and also suitable for singing. grin

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
swingbabymix #677243 10/10/21 11:55 AM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

But the drums in BIAB are not very good.

I replaced it with a more modern drum, which immediately felt modern.

... Which you are, of course, at liberty to do and many people here will likely do similar. The older people are likely to go for more natural sounding drums.

A large part of the reason for BiaB is to allow musicians to use a computer to substitute for other musicians they don't have right now. There seem little point in using software like that and then replace the more natural sounds with the ones we can find in loops or drum machines or synthesizers everywhere.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Gordon Scott #677277 10/10/21 03:21 PM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

But the drums in BIAB are not very good.

I replaced it with a more modern drum, which immediately felt modern.

... Which you are, of course, at liberty to do and many people here will likely do similar. The older people are likely to go for more natural sounding drums.

A large part of the reason for BiaB is to allow musicians to use a computer to substitute for other musicians they don't have right now. There seem little point in using software like that and then replace the more natural sounds with the ones we can find in loops or drum machines or synthesizers everywhere.

Gordon Scott:

A friend told me that it's not the drum, it's different music.
My favorite drum actually belongs to reggaeton music
The drums in BIAB are real Reggae drums
They are very similar, but they are also different. Like you said, reggae is more natural
Reggaeton is harder and more modern
At present, many popular songs use reggaeton's drums
I hope BIAB will add some reggaeton drums in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKpcnHRlgk

swingbabymix #677296 10/10/21 08:15 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reply to Replace drums02.mp4

Sounds Like you only wanted to hear the drums - you could hardly hear the melody and other accompaniment in your 2nd version. Why not try a mix where both drums are at the hearable volume.

Keith

Keith44 #677297 10/10/21 08:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Keith44

Sounds Like you only wanted to hear the drums - you could hardly hear the melody and other accompaniment in your 2nd version. Why not try a mix where both drums are at the hearable volume.

Keith

Yes, it was a little like: "Replace Everything Else with Drums"
I liked it musically - including the percussion, but the levels needed a little work.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Keith44 #677301 10/10/21 11:25 PM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Keith44

Keith

well. I'll try. The volume of the instrument is not adjusted
I believe the effect will be better after mixing. I keep trying grin

swingbabymix #677324 10/11/21 04:43 AM
Expert
Expert

However, if these songs are very different from many popular songs now.

Please note. I don't hate JAZZ music, I also like it very much, but I think it's almost the same. In fact, I prefer modern songs full of personality.

Music evolves pretty continuously, though to be honest, I think most popular music is stuck at the moment. Same tempo, same drums, same synths, similar chord progression, same compression, so often aggressive auto-tune. I like a fair bit of modern pop music, but only in small amounts at any time, or I get bored. Far too many songs comprise what I describe as "shrill girls yodeling". Personally I find Country music too "samey", but there are many others who love it and struggle to see why I feel as I do. Again, I do like some Country music, just not too much of it. That wouldn't stop me using a country realtrack in a jazz composition.

I hadn't intended to suggest that you hated jazz. What I'd intended to mean was that sometimes, some people who think they don't like jazz, have a narrower than fair idea of what jazz is or can be.

For me, this video by the very outspoken Rick Beato is quite telling, and it covers only chords in modern music:
https://youtu.be/nuGt-ZG39cU

In fairness, this is perhaps more of a defence of the same:
https://youtu.be/d46gO5FUh-g

Gordon Scott #677417 10/11/21 05:05 PM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

However, if these songs are very different from many popular songs now.

Please note. I don't hate JAZZ music, I also like it very much, but I think it's almost the same. In fact, I prefer modern songs full of personality.

Music evolves pretty continuously, though to be honest, I think most popular music is stuck at the moment. Same tempo, same drums, same synths, similar chord progression, same compression, so often aggressive auto-tune. I like a fair bit of modern pop music, but only in small amounts at any time, or I get bored. Far too many songs comprise what I describe as "shrill girls yodeling". Personally I find Country music too "samey", but there are many others who love it and struggle to see why I feel as I do. Again, I do like some Country music, just not too much of it. That wouldn't stop me using a country realtrack in a jazz composition.

I hadn't intended to suggest that you hated jazz. What I'd intended to mean was that sometimes, some people who think they don't like jazz, have a narrower than fair idea of what jazz is or can be.

For me, this video by the very outspoken Rick Beato is quite telling, and it covers only chords in modern music:
https://youtu.be/nuGt-ZG39cU

In fairness, this is perhaps more of a defence of the same:
https://youtu.be/d46gO5FUh-g

Yes. totally agree.
My knowledge of JAZZ music is very superficial. I don’t know how to distinguish it. Anyway, when I hear the taste, I know it’s JAZZ.

I don't have time to study JAZZ.

In fact, I think music is a complex. I may place more emphasis on lyrics and singing.

As for whether it is four chords or two chords, I don't really care.

When I saw a scene or an event, I wanted to record it through music. I found four chords. I thought of the humming melody. It was OK, and I was done.

Why don't I just write text with pictures or take a video to record. Because I think music is more conducive to spreading, and singing it will enhance memory.

So, when it comes to music arrangement, this is not my strong point, and I don't have the energy to learn, I think it's almost enough. Currently, in my situation, Band in a box is my perfect companion grin

swingbabymix #677440 10/12/21 12:06 AM
Expert
Expert

My knowledge of JAZZ music is very superficial. I don’t know how to distinguish it. Anyway, when I hear the taste, I know it’s JAZZ.

I don't have time to study JAZZ.

I think most of us can relate to that, though one thing I've learned over many years is that I've been listening to jazz since the 70s, but didn't then realise that it was jazz. In the 60s and 70s, "jazz" by that name largely disappeared from the music scene, to be replaced by R&B and Progressive Rock, but when you look closer at those, quite a few were heavily jazz influenced ... that's where lots of jazz musicians went to earn money.

Back then I thought I didn't like jazz. But actually I was listening to jazz in the forms of progressive rock. I was a huge King Crimson fan, but it was years before I realised just how much they were jazz driven. By the 80s, jazz-funk and jazz fusions were appearing everywhere. Now I'm influenced more by African and Latin and their fusions.

Jazz largely grew out of The Blues in America, but it crossed the Atlantic, toured Europe, picked up quite a bit of Kletzmer. then went back to the US. It's been touring the world ever since.

In fact, I think music is a complex.

Music ranges from drone, though plainsong and Gregorian chant, to folk and blues to classical to Schoenberg and beyond. It's what you want it to be.

There's an expression that applies in lots of places, though is probably best known from aircraft testing: "pushing the envelope". It means reaching into the corners of what's expected. In a musical context, it's trying to find the unexpected. Perhaps a dissonance or "edge" that triggers an emotional response, perhaps an unusual rhythm.

Quite a lot of the "clever" stuff in jazz was found simply by people pushing for a little more tension, or indeed just playing a wrong note and thinking "wow, that sounded good". People play ahead of the beat to add a little "drive", or play a little behind the beat to make a more laid-back sound.

So I would say, be comfortable with what you do, but also embrace that envelope. Maybe allow the timing to be flexible, try the odd 7, 9, 11 or 13 or 6/9 chord and see what sounds you get. Try them flatted or sharpened. If you like the effect, keep it, if you don't, then remove it or change to another. You may find you get more "zing" in what you produce.

swingbabymix #677441 10/12/21 12:22 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice

Music evolves pretty continuously, though to be honest, I think most popular music is stuck at the moment. Same tempo, same drums, same synths, similar chord progression, same compression, so often aggressive auto-tune.

Gordon,

true, Autotune is also one of those factors. The simpler the music is that sells quite well, the less skills the artists need to have. Unfortunately, all these extreme simplifications in pop music even force highly-skilled musicians to hold back their abilities. Great singers use Autotune, just to match what the mass is currently used to; and talented composers mainly try to figure out how much complexity the mass might just accept, instead of regularly showing what they really have to offer. Best examples are Lady Gaga (fabulous with Tony Bennett) and Charlie Puth (brilliant with Jacob Collier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTa_gJkYwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bgCGjRt94

Last edited by MoveToGroove; 10/12/21 12:28 AM.

BiaB Pro 2022; Windows 10
Bass: Intermediate; Piano: Beginner
I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
MoveToGroove #677461 10/12/21 03:54 AM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove

Gordon,

true, Autotune is also one of those factors. The simpler the music is that sells quite well, the less skills the artists need to have. Unfortunately, all these extreme simplifications in pop music even force highly-skilled musicians to hold back their abilities. Great singers use Autotune, just to match what the mass is currently used to; and talented composers mainly try to figure out how much complexity the mass might just accept, instead of regularly showing what they really have to offer. Best examples are Lady Gaga (fabulous with Tony Bennett) and Charlie Puth (brilliant with Jacob Collier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyTa_gJkYwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bgCGjRt94

For sure, though my particular issue was with the aggressive auto-tune so often used. It was clever when Cher used it all those years ago, though personally I didn't like it then -- much less now that it's so universal.

Modest/subtle use of auto-tune is much less conspicuous and, if nothing else, helps to avoid countless takes and/or punch-ins.

Lady Gaga demonstrates very well that modern music can be special, though that particular song, of course, is a Cole Porter number from 1936.

I've have been a little harsh on modern music, too, because I think it actually is already coming out of that "stuck".

I think one of the other factors that have made so much music in the recent past so bland is the universal use of a video to go with it. Something to look at whilst listening means that the music can be less challenging.

The Puth/Collier link was interesting, partly as they're more adventurous and partly because they also think that modern music is already starting to collect forgotten influences, adapt and interpret them, and move on. These are two very talented young men! I note that they use modest-ish auto-tune.

I've seen so many answers to "how do you produce a song" that start with "well, first I lay down a kick track". And it's quantised, and it's compressed to death, and it's relentless.

I look forward to the time when new music again excites me. It's gradually getting there.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/12/21 03:55 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195