Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I would say you selected bars in the chord sheet then Right click > Freeze Section same in the Master track of the Audio Edit.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Yes, but then you'd have to always work with the Chord Sheet unfolded, unless you know of some way to scroll to chorus 2 or 3, for examples, in order to select things there.

Which makes me curious about something. If you start with a Chord Sheet unfolded, do you get the same variations across choruses as you would otherwise?

Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
That would be all in the menu like you have in F5 All Choruses or a particular one/s

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: DFT
OK, but I don't want to freeze all tracks. I only want to freeze the parts of all tracks contained within specified bars or sections which I select.

If you think about a spread sheet, I don't want to just freeze a row, which is what is similar to current track freeze. I want to freeze all rows in sections of columns. Columns being similar to the bars in the Chord Sheet.

I would need the master bus for the unfrozen sections I still want to work on.

Here's a screen shot of an Artist Performance File saving the first 3 bars of all tracks for each of three Choruses.
Use Bar Settings to Mute 'all tracks' for bars 1-3 for Chorus 1, chorus 2 and chorus 3

This method allows continuing editing for the project while saving the frozen sections. A render of this mix is seamless.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-01-07 064628.gif (44.23 KB, 129 downloads)
Artist Performance File Master Track
Screenshot 2023-01-07 064053.gif (127.38 KB, 129 downloads)
Bar Settings
Screenshot 2023-01-07 065131.gif (78.91 KB, 128 downloads)
BIAB Mixer

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Thank you so much, Charlie!

I would never have imagined that 'Mute" meant frozen. I would have thought that the equivalent of the Volume slider in the Mixer had been attenuated to zero gain.

But if I understand this correctly, it is still lacking in a most important respect.

That is, I still want to be able to hear all the tracks as I play through. I don't part/ parts of the song muted. If I had to go back and forth to F5 and toggle, that would negate much of the usage I envision.

This is very useful, but unless I misunderstand, falls short of what I'd like.

Thanks again for the time you've taken to screen shoot and explain this. I'm learning a lot of things in the process. I know how to use F5, but I guess not as thoroughly as I thought.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thank you so much, Charlie!

I would never have imagined that 'Mute" meant frozen. I would have thought that the equivalent of the Volume slider in the Mixer had been attenuated to zero gain.

But if I understand this correctly, it is still lacking in a most important respect.

That is, I still want to be able to hear all the tracks as I play through. I don't part/ parts of the song muted. If I had to go back and forth to F5 and toggle, that would negate much of the usage I envision.

This is very useful, but unless I misunderstand, falls short of what I'd like.

Thanks again for the time you've taken to screen shoot and explain this. I'm learning a lot of things in the process. I know how to use F5, but I guess not as thoroughly as I thought.

I wasn't clear in my explanation. This method doesn't fall short of what you're looking for. You will hear all of the tracks as you play through the song. The reason there's a Mute at the bars that are saved is so both the normal tracks and the saved tracks don't sound and play in unison. You only want to hear the saved tracks for those bars during a play through.

The sequence will be the 'saved bars' will play the first 8 bars and the chord sheet 8 bars for all tracks are muted and all the tracks are unmuted beginning at bar 9. The mute/unmute is only done once in F5 and there's no toggling. However, if your project uses any Utility Tracks, they will also have to be silenced for bars 1-8 at each chorus.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Again, thanks.

I'll give it a whirl.

As best I understand, it would go like this.

When I have something I want to freeze, I turn those bars into an 'Artist Performance File.'

Those bars are then somehow reloaded (I'll search for how) back into the project and can be programmed to play within the chorus as they did before.

Where ever they are, I mute all the same bars with F5 so whatever else would otherwise be playing at the same time in the song file doesn't.

In case I changed my mind about the performance file's iteration in the 3rd chorus, I could mute it with the Audio Editor and unmute that chorus in the active song file. (Yes or no?)

As I've yet to try this, the part of creating the 'Artist Performance File' and importing/ attaching it to the active song file is pretty hazy. But it would seem it less elegant and perhapsa bit klunky as opposed to having like function directly in an active song file.

Last edited by DFT; 01/07/23 12:11 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< When I have something I want to freeze, I turn those bars into an 'Artist Performance File.' >>
That's correct.

<< Those bars are then somehow reloaded (I'll search for how) back into the project and can be programmed to play within the chorus as they did before. >>

Yes. I'll be happy to assist you if you need it. There a multiple ways and according to your workflow, we'll get you situated with what fits your workflow or project.

<< Where ever they are, I mute all the same bars with F5 so whatever else would otherwise be playing at the same time in the song file doesn't. >>

Yes

<< In case I changed my mind about the performance file's iteration in the 3rd chorus, I could mute it with the Audio Editor and unmute that chorus in the active song file. (Yes or no?) >>

Yes

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Thank you.

I'll let you know if I need help. Also, whether or not, how it goes.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Uncle!

I've looked at the help menu, the Mixer tracks context menu, the forum and Googled ... and I don't see where to get started.

I read your post from 2020 regaling Artist Performance Tracks listing the what can be done, but not the how; and, all I gleaned from the help file was that Artist Performance Tracks play on the Melody Track.

You offered to help if you knew my workflow, so ....

Just imagine I'm writing a 32 bar song with 4 choruses. I'm sold on the first 8 bars and the iterated variations of those 8 bars on all but the 3rd chorus. So that's what I want to freeze.

What's next?

Last edited by DFT; 01/08/23 05:47 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Uncle!

I've looked at the help menu, the Mixer tracks context menu, the forum and Googled ... and I don't see where to get started.

I read your post from 2020 regaling Artist Performance Tracks listing the what can be done, but not the how; and, all I gleaned from the help file was that Artist Performance Tracks play on the Melody Track.

You offered to help if you knew my workflow, so ....

Just imagine I'm writing a 32 bar song with 4 choruses. I'm sold on the first 8 bars and the iterated variations of those 8 bars on all but the 3rd chorus. So that's what I want to freeze.

What's next?

No problem. I'll work up a step by step process for 4 choruses @ 32 bars and save the bars 1-8 for Choruses 1,2, and 4 and bars 1-8 will regenerate normally in Chorus 3.

Until then, thinking of your issue and versatility of Artist Performance Files, I created a short SGU file and saved 8 Bars in 3 choruses of four that started with a 3rd Party all midi style by Notes Norton. The Mixer Style contains a SuperMidi instrument, midi instruments, RealDrums and RealTracks. It's a demonstration of the Artist Performance File's power and versatility to work with any mixture of any type audio medial that works in BIAB.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of the playback and I've posted a screenshot of the SGU Chordsheet in this post for review.

APF Song Test File

I'm also posting a comparison of the original wav file to the saved BIAB Performance file where you can see that addition content is included in the save audio version for the APF to merge with the regular BIAB generated tracks.

Finally, there's a screenshot of the Artist Performance Wav file in the Audio Edit Window.

This should help you understand the Artist Performance File a bit better. Another good feature when using Artist Perforance Files is it's possible to have notation, guitar tab and piano roll in an Artist Performance File.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-01-09 8 bar save.gif (364.3 KB, 86 downloads)
Wav file sized comparison.gif (125.71 KB, 87 downloads)
Screenshot 2023-01-09 202720.gif (47.53 KB, 81 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/09/23 03:29 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Okay. Give this a try. Here are steps and some screen shots to do the 4 chorus example you gave. Let us know how it goes.

01. Create a complete 32 bar, 4 chorus song. Example will use _BULB.STY and no Utility Tracks.

02. Drag the Master Icon into the WAV quadrant of the Drag/Drop icon and render.

03. Select the DAW Mode Button and drag the WAV render onto your desktop.

04. Close DAW Mode.

05. At the top of the Chord Sheet, select Audio\import audio.

06. Import the saved WAV audio file from your desktop onto the Audio Track at the default settings. This should import the render synced with the BIAB instruments.

07. Open Bar Settings (F5)

08. Select Chorus 1

09. Mute All Tracks at Bar 1a - Set the Audio Track Back to normal.
Set All Tracks Back to Normal at bar 9b - Set the Audio Track to Mute.

10. Select Chorus 2

11. Mute All Tracks at Bar 1a - Set the Audio Track Back to normal.

12. Select Chorus 4 (skip chorus 3 because bars 1-8 are not saved).

13. Mute All Tracks at Bar 1a - Set the Audio Track Back to normal.

14. Close Bar Settings (F5)

Press play to hear the song. Observing the BIAB Mixer, the Audio Track vue meter should play bars 1-8 and the other instruments are silent. The Mixer instruments should transition to playing at bar 9 with the Audio Track Silent. This will repeat for Chorus 2 and 4 while Chorus 3 plays through normally.

Bars 1-8 for Choruses 1,2, and 4 are audio synced to play with the Chord Sheet and will be saved with the file. Editing to the Chord Sheet can continue without affecting this file. The file will change if the Key Signature or tempo are changed without altering the audio wav. Save the file to preserve edits.

First Chorus Bar Settings.gif (102.37 KB, 64 downloads)
First Chorus Bar Settings 9b.gif (100.1 KB, 64 downloads)
F5 Report Text File.gif (49.53 KB, 64 downloads)
Audio Track playing .gif (77.36 KB, 64 downloads)
Mixer Tracks playing.gif (76.45 KB, 64 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
There should be two WAV files once you save the project. The original DAW Mode Render and another WAV file saved with the project name. The two files contain the same audio but the saved wav is larger in size than the rendered file. It's the file that BIAB will open and load when you open the project after it's saved.

I assume that's due to BIAB saving APF information into the file. Artist Performance Files are unique to BIAB and allow users to do many tasks with audio on any BIAB Mixer Track. It makes it possible for audio to be loaded onto any of the original seven Legacy Tracks.

WAV File properties.gif (134.38 KB, 64 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Charlie ...

I want to sincerely thank you. You have gone to great effort to demonstrate how this is done and I really, really appreciate it.

But while this approach can do what I want, it is not at all what I want. When you generously laid out the steps in your recent reply it became clear to me.

I want a composing editing tool. This is, in my opinion, a very useful archival method to resurrect something you might have done in the past and want later to improve upon or expand.

To accomplish this once while working on a project I'd estimate to take at least 5 minutes with rendering, importing and programming F5.

What if I wanted to make a change after I'd imported this? Wouldn't I have to go through the entire process again in order to change the behavior of the Artist Performance Track/ File ... or at least through F5?

And I would have to keep a lot of settings in memory as I don't believe there is a simple method to review what is frozen/ unfrozen from a basic view of Chord Sheet and Mixer.

In my view 'Section Freeze' should be a transparent, reversible in part or whole, simple to access and implement function of the basic BIAB composition workflow.

Last edited by DFT; 01/10/23 12:49 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No problem. Happy to provide the information.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
DFT,
It’s a good point you’ve made. There could be a flag on parts you’ve generated that would protect them (mark that section “frozen”) as opposed to the rest of the track. That doesn’t exist now of course, and you just have “frozen” or “ not frozen” . But it’s a good idea for the future.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
DFT Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Thank you, Peter!

I'm confident that if you think it a good idea it will eventually happen.

DF

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,563
Posts734,436
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185