I almost bought Bose noise cancelling headphones for almost 400 bucks at Best Buy.

Wow, I put them on and it was quiet. Quel concept!

Then I took them off. The ceiling fans are running at a screaming level, but they go away with the headphones on. WOW. I listened close and heard some voices. With the headphones on NOT A THING! Miracle. I think I saw the Madonna cry! I just walked up the steps to some shrine, in the sunshine with Nuns cheering me on, my knees bleeding and praise whichever saint built the joint, I can't hear anything. Well except the ringing in my ears which never leaves.

The shopping carts bang, put on those headphones, and wow, gone. And the music sounded dang good. I'm thinking of buying them and realize my buddy Stew, who works as a construction supervisor and gives me those foam earplugs is talking to me. We chat for a while and he reaches in his pocket and gives me 5 or 6 pairs in little boxes. We discuss the Mexican National Anthem, and decide to leave it in C.

A few minutes later, while waiting for the salesperson with a key to get me some cool Bose headphones, they start smashing carts, and it's driving me nuts. I pull out the hearing aids, stick in the foam things and no cart noise. No fans. No indistinct talking. Just tinnitus. Ringing like a bad friend who won't go home. I disappear and realize I just saved 400 bucks by sticking the free pieces of foam in my ears.

John Conley
Musica est vita