The traditional song Columbus Stockade Blues has been recorded by many artists from rock to country and under several titles. Bill Monroe popularized the bluegrass version. A Georgia historical marker explaining the song is located in (surprise) Columbus, Georgia at the site of the old stockade. Janice and I slowed it way down for this more bluesy version. Yeah, it may be hard for me to imagine Janice in a stockade...but then she can make you feel the pain - or so I think.

We used to play a fast Bluegrass version of it years ago but Janice had the notion of attempting a more bluesy and syncopated sound. As typical with our efforts it took some cross genre tracks to get the sound but it seems to work...or at least it does today!

Bass -- we used, of all things the #1901 Bolero "Baby Bass" realtrack. It tends to compliment the syncopated rhythm track. I regenerated the track many times and just couldn't get the consistent sound that I wanted so I ended up putting together segments from about 5 tracks.

Rhythm Guitar -- this is realtrack #692 that gives the tune the syncopated push that we hoped for.

Mandolin -- just to flesh out the rhythm a bit I added realtrack #610.

Dobro -- I was insistent on trying get a resophonic guitar to work with the rhythm and the vocal; unfortunately there are no lead dobro realtracks that will work at this tempo and rhythm. Being stubborn I resisted the temptation to talk an excellent dobro picking buddy of mine to play the part. Instead it was cut and dice time again. The track is made up of pieces of resophonic guitar #584 which is a rhythm track. I was able to, hopefully, put enough measures together to simulate more of a lead sound for the short break. Took maybe 20 tracks to get all the segments that I needed.

Vocal -- USB mic. Recorded in one take and some EQ and compression added when mixing.

Mixing/Effects -- Garageband.

Hope we aren't wearing y'all out with posting so many tunes but PG Music makes it so easy that ideas keep popping up. Thanks for taking the time to listen!!

Bud

COLUMBUS STOCKADE BLUES

Last edited by Mootsman; 10/06/12 03:14 PM.