Bill Monroe used to talk on stage about "true life" songs and what they meant to him. This is a tune that Janice and I wrote about our effort to find the old swimming hole from my childhood and it tells, well, a true life story. As with many of our BIAB efforts it started with a much more full band and got whittled down to this sparse version of vocal, bass, rhythm guitar, rhythm mandolin and Dobro.

All realtracks, USB Blue mic for the vocal and mixing/effects via Garageband. As with all our songs several of the tracks are pieced together from many generations of the same realtrack. It looks like quite a patchwork on the Garageband screen.

FWIW, I'm not happy with the bass line. I didn't want to use an electric and the song is too slow to use a bluegrass bass realtrack. I ended up using a pop acoustic bass realtrack but it is too busy for the simplicity of the rhythm. All this means is that I'll have to dust off my upright and play it myself.

Daddy's Swimming Hole

BTW, thank all of you who posted comments relating to our last song "Columbus Stockade Blues." I didn't want to keep bouncing it to the top of the forum by responding on the thread but we do sincerely appreciate y'all taking the time to comment.

Last edited by Mootsman; 10/16/12 07:24 PM.