Quote:

Ummmm.... Too many assumptions here...

You certainly could be right, this is just an observation I wanted to throw out there.

Back on topic.

One of the biggest things that's been written about for years is a rewrite of the Help files. Here's just one:

Midi and Audio setups. I touched on this in the other thread. Get rid of antique legacy references. Example, Setting up Midi or Sound Card. It refers to a MPU401. What? That thing is 20 years old. Sound Canvass. Yeah Roland still uses that term but it sounds old. Use Ketron SD2 or Garritan or something else that sounds new. Inside the Midi/Audio Drivers setup window get rid of all the incorrect old references like these:

In addition to the 128 general MIDI patches, newer Roland/Yamaha modules and soft-synths (eg. VSC3)...

The VSC3 is newer? It's an antique, doesn't work with 64 bit windows and was last updated 20 years ago.

Then right below that in the same window is the big button that says Audio Settings..MME.

How many times to we have to say it's not MME any more it's WDM. How old is that term, MME? Please.

In the Audio Settings window is a checkbox that says Mixer requires keystrokes to open Record Panel (Windows 95 only). What? I say again only louder WHAT??? Good grief, Win 95.

When the term "Sound Card" is used it's in the very old context of soundcards including a synth. Again, that's very old, nobody oh, ok almost nobody uses a Sounblaster that has the built in synth any more. There is not one reference in the set up window to a midi/audio digital USB interface. Interfaces are what everybody has now and NONE of those includes any kind of synth. In addition they all have their own ASIO drivers. Don't refer to ASIO4All in the ASIO window. In the modern world like the last several years, that's not needed because all the various manu's have perfectly good ASIO drivers of their own and you're much better off using them.

I could go to every window and make similar comments but you get the idea.

Bottom line here with all due respect Peter, before you spend any time thinking about how to change the GUI, menus etc you have to get the staff together and/or include the beta testers and go through each page of the manual and help files and purge these old references and do a full rewrite to bring the Biab Help files into the 21st century.

Now, Cerio if PG elects to not change these things that have been written about in the forums for years, what does that say about the targeted customer base? They're a bunch of old farts using old equipment and they're worried about losing them.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 11/04/12 10:34 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.